Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 AM   #181
I loveStitchnippyjon
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Central New York
Posts: 1,677

DH just got his first paycheck of the year. $62.50 less, which will be $125/month, or 1625/year. I don't know how we will re-budget for this, especially since DH is in real need of a new car soon.
I loveStitchnippyjon is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #182
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors
 
eliza61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 18,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by I loveStitchnippyjon View Post
DH just got his first paycheck of the year. $62.50 less, which will be $125/month, or 1625/year. I don't know how we will re-budget for this, especially since DH is in real need of a new car soon.
what did you do when you got the extra? Think back to what you brought with the extra money and try to cut that out.
__________________
"He who dies with the most toys is still dead"
eliza61 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #183
seven dwarfs
DIS Veteran
 
seven dwarfs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: somewhere out there
Posts: 1,047

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
what did you do when you got the extra? Think back to what you brought with the extra money and try to cut that out.
For some people the extra money was/is going to the increased cost of food, insurance (both health and car/house), and everything else that has gone up in price. For some people on a small income this is a huge hit.
__________________
seven dwarfs is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #184
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked
 
okeydokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 9,310

I know this is a big deal to many people, but remember back to folks complaining about government spending and debt. This is one way the government will be spending less. No more ss tax cut. It's got to come from somewhere, we'll lots of somewheres.
okeydokey is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM   #185
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors
 
eliza61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Philadelphia PA
Posts: 18,932

Quote:
Originally Posted by seven dwarfs View Post
For some people the extra money was/is going to the increased cost of food, insurance (both health and car/house), and everything else that has gone up in price. For some people on a small income this is a huge hit.
but that stuff was going up in price 2 years ago. so we had a budget then. I'm not saying this is not going to be a huge hit for some, I'm saying think back to your pre 2010 budget and see what would have been purchase.

Put it like this way. If we had not gotten the tax holiday food still would have gone up in price, gas still would have gone up.

What would you have done? what adjustments would you have made.
__________________
"He who dies with the most toys is still dead"
eliza61 is offline  
Old 01-10-2013, 11:56 PM   #186
DisneygirlTeacher
Rather Be At Disney World!
 
DisneygirlTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 295

Unhappy

To have $100 less a month hurts. After no raise for 5 years and then a $10 raise each paycheck this year (after insurance went WAY up), I am making less than 5 years ago. Of course, homeowners insurance went up, so now our house payment is $100 more a month. I keep pinching pennies and making everything stretch a little more. When the spending continues to decrease in all the stores and our economy gets even worse, maybe someone will wake up. The average working person doesn't have money to spend freely anymore. It's sad for every working family. $100 is a bill we could have paid or a week's worth of groceries. Everyone at work is upset and wondering why we get up every morning for less and less (but they expect more and more!) Good thing I love my job. But, it doesn't feel very good working for less than I've made in a long time. Ugh.
__________________
Me
DH
DD
and and
Been Too Many Times to Count
Worked at Disney While in College
DisneygirlTeacher is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #187
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,012

Finally got to see a Jan LES after 450 dollars in increased income this Jan we get a whopping 40 dollars of that!!! We take the least amount of taxes out because we would rather not have the government hold onto our money and then maybe give it back to us at the end of the year. I thought the middle class would be spared I guess not! Oh and before anyone questions our financial status my husband is an officer in the Army and I am a SAHM so we are about as middle class as it gets. We don’t need the money to live comfortably but the extra income was going to be used to increase our monthly contribution to our children’s college funds and it sucks that it goes to taxes.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #188
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 674

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
I thought the middle class would be spared I guess not!
From what I heard it could have been a lot worse for us!
vacationer1954 is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #189
DawnM
Dawn
 
DawnM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 12,859

Paying $410/mo for the SS tax is simply not possible. Even if you make $500,000 per year.

Go here, put in your salary, and see what the actual amount is.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/...-will-you-pay/


Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
Finally got to see a Jan LES after 450 dollars in increased income this Jan we get a whopping 40 dollars of that!!! We take the least amount of taxes out because we would rather not have the government hold onto our money and then maybe give it back to us at the end of the year. I thought the middle class would be spared I guess not! Oh and before anyone questions our financial status my husband is an officer in the Army and I am a SAHM so we are about as middle class as it gets. We don’t need the money to live comfortably but the extra income was going to be used to increase our monthly contribution to our children’s college funds and it sucks that it goes to taxes.
__________________
Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #190
auralia
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,223

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy
Finally got to see a Jan LES after 450 dollars in increased income this Jan we get a whopping 40 dollars of that!!! We take the least amount of taxes out because we would rather not have the government hold onto our money and then maybe give it back to us at the end of the year. I thought the middle class would be spared I guess not! Oh and before anyone questions our financial status my husband is an officer in the Army and I am a SAHM so we are about as middle class as it gets. We don’t need the money to live comfortably but the extra income was going to be used to increase our monthly contribution to our children’s college funds and it sucks that it goes to taxes.
Now imagine being a lower enlisted in your husband unit with 2 kids and you can't find a job because of the constant moving and being worried about putting groceries on the table let alone a college fund. (No this is not me dh is an e7 but I worry about them because I'm a worrier.)
__________________
auralia is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:17 AM   #191
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnM View Post
Paying $410/mo for the SS tax is simply not possible. Even if you make $500,000 per year.

Go here, put in your salary, and see what the actual amount is.

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/...-will-you-pay/
Our federal taxes also increased but thanks for trying to call me a liar!
donaldlovesdaisy is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #192
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralia View Post
Now imagine being a lower enlisted in your husband unit with 2 kids and you can't find a job because of the constant moving and being worried about putting groceries on the table let alone a college fund. (No this is not me dh is an e7 but I worry about them because I'm a worrier.)
Luckily there are many programs in place to help them out with food and things like that. I am surprised being the wife of an E7 you weren't aware of that. A lower enlisted soldier should never have to worry about putting food on the table and if he is he needs to get in touch with his chain of command and find out about the many things to help like the commissary vouchers.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #193
angierae
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,349

Got my first (biweekly) check of 2013 today. It's about $15 less.

Yeah, not going to notice that.
__________________
Potential Spring 2015 and Fall 2016 trips on the horizon, but who knows!

10-2013 - Pop Century / 4-2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter / 5-2010 - Pop Century
angierae is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #194
DawnM
Dawn
 
DawnM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 12,859

Oh good grief. No one called you a liar. I just said the SS tax could not be $410 per month.

You also stated you have the max withholdings so that you keep your money until tax time. I think something is wrong with the numbers and you need to take a look.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
Our federal taxes also increased but thanks for trying to call me a liar!
__________________
Dawn

living with 4 boys (dh included)
DawnM is offline  
Old 01-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #195
KBoopaloo
DIS Veteran
 
KBoopaloo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 932

Got my first check this week and was a bit worried since I had heard from a couple of people that his/her check had gone down was more than they anticipated. Mine was exactly what I expected and is basically just a bit less than what I was taking home before the "holiday" went into effect (thanks to slightly higher health insurance costs since then).
__________________
1984 - Contemporary ~ 1991 - Caribbean Beach ~ 1999 - Port Orleans French Quarter ~ 2000 - Vista Way (College Program) ~ 2001 - AllStar Music ~ 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006 & 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside ~ 2008 Beach Club ~2008 Animal Kingdom Lodge~ 2009 Saratoga Springs(x2) & Pop Century 2010 Boardwalk Inn, Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas - Jambo House & Coronado Springs~ 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter & Kidani Village(April), Old Key West & Beach Club (October) 2012 AKV - Jambo and Yacht Club (Commodore Suite!) 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter and Boardwalk Inn 2014 - Boardwalk Villas
KBoopaloo is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.