Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #151
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
Some of the replies on this thread are so incredibly obnoxious

I consider myself to be fairly financially savvy and I had no recollection of this being a tax "holiday". We also don't have cable, so maybe I just didn't spend much time thinking about it when it happened.

We're lucky that it doesn't really impact us. My DH makes a nice living and we are finally what I would call "comfortable".

I think some of the posters on this thread either never really struggled financially, or have forgotten what it was like back in the day. When I was first home, with three babies - and we were living on one (much smaller) income - every dollar did count in our budget. It took years of living like that for us to build our way up to where we are now. Now, we're comfortable. We're also 10 years older.

I imagine that (many of) the people that "every dollar counts" are younger than (many of) the people that made small retirement adjustments and don't notice those types of numbers in their budget any longer.
I guess that's where we differ. I think as you get older you NOTICE every thing. You gain wisdom along the way and because I'd like to retire soon I'm almost fanatical about what news comes out of washington. Believe me I am following the SS, medicare debate like a hawk because I'm now living in AARP-ville I do remember when I made bone headed decisions with my money and I do try not to be obnoxious about it but it's because I remember those days that I'm so diligent now.

different ages just mean different things.

Yeah you had the 3 babies but I've got 2 college tuitions and zippo financial aide When you get there, ask me again about watching every dollar. I just had an argument with my freshmen son. He lent his bf $100 bucks over the holiday, even though he hasn't paid for his spring term books, can't tell you how happy that made me. Yeah, I'm watching every quarter.
And now that I'm thinking retirement (within 6 or 7 years) I have to keep in mind that I can't recoup from my stupid mistakes. When I stayed home with my sons, I always knew that I would return to work so I didn't have a problem having a big car note. Now I have to really think about it because I don't have another 10 years of income to make up for it.

Age IMO has nothing to do with watching every dollar. whether your just started out, middle age or in AARP-vile you should be doing that, different ages just mean different set of expenses.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #152
edk35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
I guess that's where we differ. I think as you get older you NOTICE every thing. You gain wisdom along the way and because I'd like to retire soon I'm almost fanatical about what news comes out of washington. Believe me I am following the SS, medicare debate like a hawk because I'm now living in AARP-ville I do remember when I made bone headed decisions with my money and I do try not to be obnoxious about it but it's because I remember those days that I'm so diligent now.

different ages just mean different things.

Yeah you had the 3 babies but I've got 2 college tuitions and zippo financial aide When you get there, ask me again about watching every dollar. I just had an argument with my freshmen son. He lent his bf $100 bucks over the holiday, even though he hasn't paid for his spring term books, can't tell you how happy that made me. Yeah, I'm watching every quarter.
And now that I'm thinking retirement (within 6 or 7 years) I have to keep in mind that I can't recoup from my stupid mistakes. When I stayed home with my sons, I always knew that I would return to work so I didn't have a problem having a big car note. Now I have to really think about it because I don't have another 10 years of income to make up for it.

Age IMO has nothing to do with watching every dollar. whether your just started out, middle age or in AARP-vile you should be doing that, different ages just mean different set of expenses.
I hear ya!!!! We have two in college....a freshman son who seems to think money grows on trees. He took his girlfriend to Cheesecake factory for their 1 MONTH ANNIVERSARY in Oct. We also have a dd who is a sr. in college and an 8th grade son. We have learned the value of a buck LET ME TELL YOU. We do a lot of things differently NOW than we did in our 20's and 30's.

DVC MEMBERS SINCE JAN. 2007

March 15 BCV/AKV Jambo Aug 14 OKW/SOG Aug 13 OKW/Providence Golf Club Villas March 13 SSR/AKV July 12 BLT/SSR May 12 SOG
March/April 12 Windsor Hills
Jan. 12 VWL (1/20-1/28) Jan. 12 POR (1/6/-1/11) Jan. 11 OKW July 10 SOG/SSR/VERO July 09 POLY/BCV/AKV Jan. 09 OKW Nov. 08 SSR/ASMU MVMCP July 08 OKW/BCV Jan. 08 SOG Nov. 07 SSR MVMCP Aug. 07 SSR/BWV P&PP Jan. 07 SOG BECAME DVC MEMBERS!!!
Nov. 05 SOG/CSR Jan. 05 SOG Nov. 02 CR May 98 Poly May 95 SOG Dec. 93 CR Dec. 92 CBR July 92 Dixie Landing First Family Trip Off Site 87,86,82 (Single With Friends)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #153
ilovemk76
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post
ITA

I wish I was told some of the stuff at 25 that I know now. I would be retired rather than still working.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #154
comicguy
DIS Veteran

When the tax holiday took effect I put the extra into my 403b but now that it is expired, I do not really want to adjust the 403b down, so I will make some sort of compromise (stop drinking soda should even it out, have not had a single soda in a week!!!) Let's see if I can keep this going!!!
Dec 2000 Movies, Jan '03 Movies, Jan '05 Movies, Jan '06 Movies, August '06 POP, Jan '07 POP, Aug '07 POP, Aug '08 POP, Aug '09 POP, Aug '10 POP Aug '11 POP, POP '12, AoA '13

Next Trip: '14 POP
Old 01-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #155
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
ITA

I wish I was told some of the stuff at 25 that I know now. I would be retired rather than still working.
You and me both! It never even occurred to me that there was a need to save for retirement. It all seemed so far off at that point.

I won't change anything. It's not enough of a change for me to do much of anything different.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #156
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemk76 View Post
ITA

I was lucky to have parents and in-laws who helped to guide us when we were first starting out. My father-in-law is the son of immigrants who only spoke broken English. He never completed high school because he was called to serve in WWII. Yet, he learned by seeking the advice of people who were successful and had wealth. One of the first pieces of financial wisdom he gave me was that you will never learn how to be rich by listening to a poor man. People who have money aren't rich because it was given to them. They are rich because they know how to keep it from slipping away.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #157
Dis_Yoda
DIS Veteran

As we moved from Georgia to Florida - it isn't really changing our budget. No state income tax more than makes up for the extra 2%
Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #158
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dis_Yoda View Post
As we moved from Georgia to Florida - it isn't really changing our budget. No state income tax more than makes up for the extra 2%
Nice! I dream of life in a no income tax state!
Old 01-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #159
MomToOne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpig View Post
I agree! I also did not "remember"..heck I didn't even know about the "holiday" ending until hearing on the news. Thankfully for us our numbers are ok. So I will not have to rearrange anything.

Empathy is something we all need more of. All around.
What we need is for people to take a personal responsibility for knowing what the government is and isn't doing. If you were doing that, you would be well aware that it was a temporary decrease in the SS contribution. It was all over the news when it was first passed, when it was passed again at the end of last year, and for the last 6 months.

People need to wake up and pay attention. Watch the evening news, read some other newspapers or websites. Not once in awhile, every day. Ignorance is no excuse. And no, I won't give you sympathy because you chose to be ignorant.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:29 PM   #160
disykat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
At some level I'm an optimist. I hope that most people here are here because they are Disney fans indulging themselves in a hobby they can afford. Not addicts feeding an addiction that is having a negative impact on their external lives. So I hope that MOST of us with multiple trips under our belt are fans - and I know there are a few addicts - I suppose I'm just as naive, but in the other direction.

And because I can be naturally frugal myself - I don't assume anyone trying to feed their family for $100 a week or making homemade laundry detergent while going to Disney is doing it from necessity (I've done both) - that sort of frugality is a hobby activity for me.
I agree! Sure, some people do it by making more of an effort to make it a priority and others do it easily, but I assume they can do it without putting themselves on the edge of making it.

Our tax liablity is going up what feels like "considerably" to us, but it will just mean less extra spending or less savings. It kind of rolls into all the other crazy expenses we've got right now with our second child about to enter college. Our budget really isn't firm enough to categorize where that money will come from, and we aren't making specific plans because we've been purposely living beneath our means, we'll just spend less because we only spend what we have.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:17 PM   #161
lilpig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomToOne View Post
What we need is for people to take a personal responsibility for knowing what the government is and isn't doing. If you were doing that, you would be well aware that it was a temporary decrease in the SS contribution. It was all over the news when it was first passed, when it was passed again at the end of last year, and for the last 6 months.

People need to wake up and pay attention. Watch the evening news, read some other newspapers or websites. Not once in awhile, every day. Ignorance is no excuse. And no, I won't give you sympathy because you chose to be ignorant.
My statement clearly states I received the information on the news. You do not know me, my reading habits or political views and my knowledge there of. Just the little "blurp" I made about this "holiday tax". Calling one ignorant is unacceptable when you do not know them. I said empathy not sympathy.
Empathy:the action of understanding, being aware of, being sensitive to, and vicariously experiencing the feelings, thoughts, and experience of another of either the past or present without having the feelings, thoughts, and experience fully communicated in an objectively explicit manner;

I also was not asking for it for myself, I was asking for others. Its so easy to say rude things to people from a computer. Kindness is a choice. More should try it.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #162
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
I agree! Sure, some people do it by making more of an effort to make it a priority and others do it easily, but I assume they can do it without putting themselves on the edge of making it.

Our tax liablity is going up what feels like "considerably" to us, but it will just mean less extra spending or less savings. It kind of rolls into all the other crazy expenses we've got right now with our second child about to enter college. Our budget really isn't firm enough to categorize where that money will come from, and we aren't making specific plans because we've been purposely living beneath our means, we'll just spend less because we only spend what we have.
And from your signature, you went twice in ten years - a little longer even. Now, would it shock you to learn someone who has made the trip every year per their signature during those ten years is less impacted by the tax liability and has either a lot of income, or a high net worth, or both? Not if you are starting from the assumption that most people taking a lot of trips can afford them - it might be a stretch to go every year, but - unless they live close or have some other factor going like relatives paying - they pretty much by definition have at least several thousand dollars a year completely disposable to fritter away on vacations.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #163
Tinkerbellie16
Certified Disneyaholic

When they introduced the temporary tax cut a couple years ago, I increased my savings by the same amount. Now that it is back to normal, I am going to try to maintain that but if it isn't possible, I am just grateful I had the opportunity to do it temporarily. So where will it hit us? Our savings. But even without it, we save 25%. I've been saving like this for almost 15 years now so I don't notice it "gone" from my monthly net pay.

6/14 YC 10/13 Poly 5/13 Poly & BC 10/12 Poly 7/12 CSR/BWV 5/12 CBR 3/12 DL 10/11 Poly 5/11 VWL 9/10 Poly 3/10 Dolphin 4/09 Poly 4/08 BC 5/07 Poly/Cruise/ASMo 7/06 AKL 7/00 POR 7/98 DisIns 3/98 Off 7/96 POR +
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM   #164
chicagodisneyfan
Peace
He looked ridiculous - but it gave me the giggles for a month

I got a $5,000 raise on 1/1, so I will not have any decrease in my check - in fact it will still go up. So no issues here.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #165
luv2mickey
Mouseketeer

If this 2% increase has hurt you then please do what you can to get your finances in a more comfortable place, I believe we will be seeing more taxes and the prices of goods will be rising.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: