Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #136
kydisneyfans
It may be because they are too embarassed to show it in public

It's between a $35-40 decrease on each check around here.
Add that to no raise since 2008, a $500 increase in homeowners insurance for 2013 alone, a 7% increase in electric rates, and a proposed 18% jump in water rates, the squeeze is tighter.

We eliminated the Disney trip for 2013, we've been blessed and went every year since our son was born. We also cut back our 401K contribution percentages. We have landed a part time weekend job to help with income, now each of us work around 70 hours a week, so family time is non existant anymore.

At least the government gets their raises and increased tax revenue though, so all is good.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #137
kydisneyfans
It may be because they are too embarassed to show it in public

My beef is also how it is being advertised by the media. WIth the fiscal cliff "solved", taxes did not increase on middle class families. Really? My check being $36 less due to taxes IS a tax increase, regardless if it was a tax holiday or not. Don't tell me it isn't a tax increase when my paycheck says otherwise.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 07:35 AM   #138
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

A lot of Members of Congress have promised not to vote for higher tax rates on the middle class so it is important for them to be able to say honestly that they didn't. Otherwise the result would have probably been an increase over and above the impact of the expiration of the payroll tax holiday. We can't make it impossible for Congress to do things like tax holidays without people thinking of the expirations as tax increases because that could make it so that they'll never do another tax holiday even when the economy needs them to.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #139
imsayin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldlovesdaisy View Post
Why on earth would anyone here would feel the need to publicly announce their net worth on a message board!
Saying you have more than $100K in savings is not announcing your net worth. I don't see anything wrong with the statement.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #140
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsayin

Saying you have more than $100K in savings is not announcing your net worth. I don't see anything wrong with the statement.
I find it bizarre to announce that type of info on a public message board to total strangers.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #141
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Why on earth would anyone here would feel the need to publicly announce their net worth on a message board!
Ummm...that's not my "net worth". Do you understand what that term means? I said that I had more than $100K in savings. There's a BIG difference between liquid assets and net worth.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #142
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marionnette View Post
Ummm...that's not my "net worth". Do you understand what that term means? I said that I had more than $100K in savings. There's a BIG difference between liquid assets and net worth.
Yes I know exactly what it means I guess I just choose a poor choice of words however I still have no clue why anyone would want a bunch of total strangers to know their financial status if for any other reasons then to a) poor mouth or b) brag. I just can't imagine publicizing my financial info to a group of strangers. Like I said before the 2 percent increase or whatever it is not a big deal for our family but I am in the group that either did not remember that this tax break was going to end and I hardly think that makes me or my husband foolish.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:00 AM   #143
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Yes I know exactly what it means I guess I just choose a poor choice of words however I still have no clue why anyone would want a bunch of total strangers to know their financial status if for any other reasons then to a) poor mouth or b) brag. I just can't imagine publicizing my financial info to a group of strangers. Like I said before the 2 percent increase or whatever it is not a big deal for our family but I am in the group that either did not remember that this tax break was going to end and I hardly think that makes me or my husband foolish.
why? as you say we're just strangers. we're not going to track her down and stalk her so basically she's throwing out a number that in reality is just that a number.
It's no different that saying "my check decreased by $250 bucks or some one saying that their mortgage is 104K dollars.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:22 AM   #144
vacationer1954
DIS Veteran

There are websites where people post all their investments and account balances because without that detail they cannot help each other understand the best choices to make for retirement.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:34 AM   #145
preschoolmom
DIS Veteran

Some of the replies on this thread are so incredibly obnoxious

I consider myself to be fairly financially savvy and I had no recollection of this being a tax "holiday". We also don't have cable, so maybe I just didn't spend much time thinking about it when it happened.

We're lucky that it doesn't really impact us. My DH makes a nice living and we are finally what I would call "comfortable".

I think some of the posters on this thread either never really struggled financially, or have forgotten what it was like back in the day. When I was first home, with three babies - and we were living on one (much smaller) income - every dollar did count in our budget. It took years of living like that for us to build our way up to where we are now. Now, we're comfortable. We're also 10 years older.

I imagine that (many of) the people that "every dollar counts" are younger than (many of) the people that made small retirement adjustments and don't notice those types of numbers in their budget any longer.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:43 AM   #146
crisi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disykat View Post
While I know that's an exageration, I never get why it's a surprise to people that this board has lots of pretty afluent people. It's a board full of people who can afford to vacation at WDW!

I'm not as afluent as some here, but am not surprised this is a board with many people who have a certain amount of means.
I'm always shocked by that as well. You see someone's signature with yearly or twice yearly trips to WDW and/or cruises and then you are surprised that they have or make a lot of money? This being the budget board - I'd hope anyone with annual Disney trips under their belt has enough money that the SS tax reverting back to normal isn't going to mean they can't afford groceries!

And I see no difference between hinting at my net worth and someone telling me how much debt they have, how much they spend on groceries every week, or how much the social security tax increase is going to affect their paycheck - which is the same thing as telling me pretty much exactly what you make - all it takes to get your salary from "my paycheck will be $100 less" is eighth grade math.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #147
lilpig
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by preschoolmom View Post
Some of the replies on this thread are so incredibly obnoxious
I agree! I also did not "remember"..heck I didn't even know about the "holiday" ending until hearing on the news. Thankfully for us our numbers are ok. So I will not have to rearrange anything.

Empathy is something we all need more of. All around.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #148
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisi View Post
I'm always shocked by that as well. You see someone's signature with yearly or twice yearly trips to WDW and/or cruises and then you are surprised that they have or make a lot of money? This being the budget board - I'd hope anyone with annual Disney trips under their belt has enough money that the SS tax reverting back to normal isn't going to mean they can't afford groceries!

And I see no difference between hinting at my net worth and someone telling me how much debt they have, how much they spend on groceries every week, or how much the social security tax increase is going to affect their paycheck - which is the same thing as telling me pretty much exactly what you make - all it takes to get your salary from "my paycheck will be $100 less" is eighth grade math.
Well, the number of trips in one's signature means very little. We've seen many posts on here from people who plan those trips no matter what. We've seen many posts from people who have planned multiple trips while charging off their credit card debt, on the verge of bankruptcy, being given a gift trip, wondering how they'll feed their family of six on $25 a day and so on.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #149
crisi
DIS Veteran

At some level I'm an optimist. I hope that most people here are here because they are Disney fans indulging themselves in a hobby they can afford. Not addicts feeding an addiction that is having a negative impact on their external lives. So I hope that MOST of us with multiple trips under our belt are fans - and I know there are a few addicts - I suppose I'm just as naive, but in the other direction.

And because I can be naturally frugal myself - I don't assume anyone trying to feed their family for $100 a week or making homemade laundry detergent while going to Disney is doing it from necessity (I've done both) - that sort of frugality is a hobby activity for me.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #150
flowerboy
Earning My Ears

Gave up soda, less eating out, less vacation, cut down on target, walmart junk food buying. Also was planning on buying furniture not now. Not only are payroll taxes going up, so is healthcare premium, insurance premium, property taxes. Wages not so much. I knew it was coming and planned to enjoy for awhile, I'm still young. Will start to cut back this year.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: