Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #91
5mouseketeersforus
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones

I've been taking my kids since they were infants. We have always stood in line together. My kids learned at a very young age that WDW meant standing in lines and we taught them how to behave in line. It has NEVER been a problem. They learned quickly that if they misbehaved, we left the line and they didn't get to go on the attraction. With that being said, I have left the line to take them to use the potty and then rejoin my family when finished. I think that is different than not entering the line together or not until well after the rest of the family.
Exactly this. Not just at Disney but pretty much anywhere where you stand in long-ish lines (airports, movies, other theme parks, visiting Santa at the mall, etc).

Not saying it was an easy lesson to teach them but it was just one those things we felt was important enough to do when they were little.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #92
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones

I've been taking my kids since they were infants. We have always stood in line together. My kids learned at a very young age that WDW meant standing in lines and we taught them how to behave in line. It has NEVER been a problem. They learned quickly that if they misbehaved, we left the line and they didn't get to go on the attraction. With that being said, I have left the line to take them to use the potty and then rejoin my family when finished. I think that is different than not entering the line together or not until well after the rest of the family.
This.

Posted from my iPhone using DISBoards
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #93
GiJohnsGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuaann

Well either the CM's are not following the instructions...or need to learn to count!

As you stated, for every 100 combined: the ratio would be 80 FPs to 20 SBs.....or for every 50 combined: 40 FP to 10 SB. This would be fine.

But this was clearly NOT the case for many of us. It was 50+ FP for every 3-5 SB. We stood there and counted.

According to the ratio for every 50 FP, around 13 SB should have been let through.
There are people who still use sb? The only time we ever use it is if the wait is 10 min or less or if there is not a Fp option.

Sept 2010 ASMovies
Jan 2012 Pop
July 2012 Art of Animation
April 2013 Pop Adults only trip
June 2013 Dream First DCL!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #94
jjskribs
The TF is not a baseball fan, so root for the Red Sox all you'd like! ;)

Anywhere on Disney property to get a money order?

I'm at Disney right now and I need to get a money order. (forgot checkbook at home) Does anyone know if there is a place to get one besides the Sunbank at DTD or the Bank of America in Celebration... hoping to find a closer option. I'm at Shades of Green .

CBR- '91, '96, '98
PO- '93
SoG- 2000
SoG- 2002
Swan- 2004/2005

Old 01-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #95
jjskribs
The TF is not a baseball fan, so root for the Red Sox all you'd like! ;)

Sorry for my previous post about the money order... thought I was starting a new thread but my question wound up on this thread... trying to delete it but I can't.

CBR- '91, '96, '98
PO- '93
SoG- 2000
SoG- 2002
Swan- 2004/2005

Old 01-04-2013, 04:03 PM   #96
ses1230
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afinnteach
I'd like to respond to OP comment about people "cutting" in line. (Hopefully I won't get flamed for my opinion I have traveled several times with my MIL, FIL, SIL, DH, DS, and DD (both preschoolers at the time) to DW. We would often leave 2/3 adults in the line to wait and have the other 2/3 take the kiddos to the bathroom or to play at a playground, sit on a bench etc... basically do anything that would keep them from fussing and annoying everyone around us in line. This also helped my FIL who can sometimes have difficulty standing (especially in heat/sun) for longer periods of time. I always felt like we were giving the people around us a break (from our children). I think it was pretty obvious to those right behind us as we would all get in line together and then figure out who was taking who where. We would return before the line started to get too far into a queue so we didn't have to say excuse me to a million people.

I've personally never found this irritating at a park, but obviously some people do. I'm not sure it would stop me from doing it with small kiddos (or in a potty emergency with my primary age kiddos now). We always try to be polite and kind to anyone around us and I don't mind if other do it as well and are polite about it. Just wanted to add my perspective. Those "cutters" may have saved you from listening to a 2 year old scream cry or a 3 year old run around your legs for 40 minutes! LOL
Potty breaks are acceptable, IMO. But the notion that you are going to cut in line to "save me" from your (generally speaking) child's behavior is ridiculous. Your child's behavior is not my problem and I shouldn't have to put up with your child running around my legs, etc. Either they can wait or not, and if they can't you should come back when they are calm.

1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT 2015 Pop 2015 BC
Old 01-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #97
Lisa D
DIS Veteran

On the RnR this afternoon they were loading 6 stand-bys and ALL the rest fast passers. We waited twice as long as the advertised time with fast passes to Tower of Terror in our pockets
BWV 1998
BWV 1999
BWV 2001
BWV 2002
BWV/Disney Wonder 2003
BWV/Disney Wonder 2005
Disney Magic 2006
BWV/Hard Rock Hotel 2007
BWV 2008
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #98
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyBC80 View Post
Cutting is cutting no matter how you word it.
I must be the dumbest person on earth because I don't notice line cutting as a big problem at WDW. Rarely see it, but then again I don't go looking for it.

Don't get me going on double wide strollers or people stopping in the middle of walkways though. Those two things drive me crazy.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #99
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiJohnsGirl View Post
There are people who still use sb? The only time we ever use it is if the wait is 10 min or less or if there is not a Fp option.
Yes. Standby entrance is for guests not using FASTPASS.

Are you getting SB confused with single-rider line?

However, if the SB reads 40 mins - I'm not expecting to stand for 90+.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x (soon to be 4!) * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Arusha * POFQ * POR

Old 01-04-2013, 04:18 PM   #100
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa D View Post
On the RnR this afternoon they were loading 6 stand-bys and ALL the rest fast passers. We waited twice as long as the advertised time with fast passes to Tower of Terror in our pockets
Yep, just like I said in my PP, the CMs apparently are not following their own ratio instructions (80/20)...or they can't count.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x (soon to be 4!) * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Arusha * POFQ * POR

Old 01-04-2013, 04:38 PM   #101
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut33
I must be the dumbest person on earth because I don't notice line cutting as a big problem at WDW. Rarely see it, but then again I don't go looking for it.

Don't get me going on double wide strollers or people stopping in the middle of walkways though. Those two things drive me crazy.
Leaving a family member to hold a spot on line while you take Jr to see Cinderella or play at the train water feature and then trying to squeeze your way into the line meet up with the spot holder is cutting. You may mall it whatever you want, but you're still cutting in front of others.

Posted from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 01-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #102
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehuaann View Post
Yep, just like I said in my PP, the CMs apparently are not following their own ratio instructions (80/20)...or they can't count.
I'd imagine the ratio gets put on hold if the FP line starts to back up. They need to make sure the Fast in FastPass stays that way.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #103
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Moving to trip reports board

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #104
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Before we enter the standby line, we always ask the CM positioned at the entrance what the actual wait is like. They usually know a much more accurate number than the one posted. Once a wait for Barnstormer was posted at 60 and the CM said it was actually only 10 minutes. Turned out to be 7 minutes, so she was basically right! Just recently, we asked about the wait for UTSJOTLM (which was posted at 20 minutes), but the CM said it'd be 30. She was right. Exactly, 30 minutes, so before you enter the standby, always ask. Sometimes those wait time posters (or whatever they are called) malfunction or just haven't been updated in a while. It never hurts to ask.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 PM   #105
Cais
DIS Veteran

The ratio definitely is adjusted based on operational. And I got asked wait times all the time as a greeter. I'd usually look at the posted wait, eyeball the line, and make a pretty good judgement call based on that. It's spooky how good you get at it.

Once you throw fastpass into the mix though all bets are off. It can make it harder to judge.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: