Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #76
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

We were there Dec10-22 and experienced two rides down. The first week it was Finding Nemo in Epcot. The following week it was Splash Mtn. We were told by a CM working splash that it is happening more and more often due to it's age. While disappointing and we had to change our plans to be able to ride another day it wasn't the end of the world. Had more been down than I would have been just as upset as the op. The major problem while we were there was the monorail being down. It took some time getting around with it down. That was upsetting because it has been an ongoing problem that they don't seem to plan on perm fixing anytime soon. Crowds were not bad the whole time we were there except at qs locations. Matter of fact they seemed to be less than what we experienced during the same time in 2008 and 09. QS locations were busier than TS this trip. Even BOG the night we ate dinner there had some empty tables. As far as qs we found that eating during the times that Disney has on the park maps not to was the least busy. More people must be following that than in the past. I do have to say this trip was more disappointing overall than our previous 5 trips. The food has def gone down at both qs and ts locations. The wait staff as well were not as friendly overall as in the past at both qs and ts locations. Don't get me wrong there are still some great ones as well. Also they seemed to have a lot of computer issues this trip. They were down more than once. Really shouldn't be surprised considering their websites. The photopass site is so slow and has so many issues I don't know if we will buy it again. It is not worth the money if you can't even get on to edit your pics. When I do get on it takes hours to just get a few pics done. We still had a good time but for our family it is time for a change of scenery and a more relaxing vacation esp for the planner which is me. Lol

Edited to add: I did notice them letting in more FP riders than standby riders. Esp for peter pan. It was no wonder that the standby line was so long the whole time we were there. We rode that only using FP. We had extra FP the one night from my parents and husband not riding that my two kids and I rode twice in a row. The second time we practically walked right on despite long FP and standby lines because they were loading so many FP riders at a time.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Last edited by Halbleib1; 01-04-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:25 PM   #77
katt789
DIS Veteran

Sorry that your trip wasn't as good as you hoped it would be.
Obviously with it being the holidays, it's not going to be the same in May, it's usually pretty decent for crowds.
I also find that rides are going to be "down" more often in huge crowds simply because of guests doing things they shouldn't (standing up, moving around, dropped something off the ride, etc)

If I were you I wouldn't cancel your next trip, I've gone over 10 times, and have had some not so great trips in there, but every time I'm in Disney there's still some amazingly magical aspect to it, and that's what makes it worth it. To me, so what if there's a bunch of rides breaking down or a huge tour group that chants the entire way through a 70 minute standby line and then lets another 20 people into the line infront of them? The best you can do is roll your eyes, and focus on the pixie dust that's going on on the other side of you.

Give it a second chance? And go into it thinking positively, not about this last trip. If you think about all the things that went wrong over the holidays, you'll immediately see everything in a bad light, think of it as "hey, awesome, we're back in Disney for some amazing fun"

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #78
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

I wonder what, exactly, breaks down on these rides?

I would really enjoy a behnd the scenes TV show or a tour that gets into all that.

Any CMs or experts out there that can shed some light?
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #79
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post
I wonder what, exactly, breaks down on these rides?

I would really enjoy a behnd the scenes TV show or a tour that gets into all that.

Any CMs or experts out there that can shed some light?
From my limited knowledge of rollercoasters, it all comes down to the required spacing between cars. There are sensors in the tracks that keep track of the gap between ride vehicles. If there are too many that are in one section of the track (example- too many rockets coming back into the loading platform on Space Mountain, or a "log jam upstream" on splash mountain due to slow loading on multiple consecutive ride vehicles) the ride automatically triggers an emergency stop (e-stop). From that point, the ride has to go through a reset cycle where they bring all of the ride vehicles in, go through the pre-ride safety test (the same as they do at the beginning of operations each day) and then and only then are they able to start loading guests again.

E-stops are also triggered if the computers detect (either correctly or incorrectly) that a restraint is not fastened properly.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:53 PM   #80
MikeandReneePlus5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazertechie View Post
From my limited knowledge of rollercoasters, it all comes down to the required spacing between cars. There are sensors in the tracks that keep track of the gap between ride vehicles. If there are too many that are in one section of the track (example- too many rockets coming back into the loading platform on Space Mountain, or a "log jam upstream" on splash mountain due to slow loading on multiple consecutive ride vehicles) the ride automatically triggers an emergency stop (e-stop). From that point, the ride has to go through a reset cycle where they bring all of the ride vehicles in, go through the pre-ride safety test (the same as they do at the beginning of operations each day) and then and only then are they able to start loading guests again.

E-stops are also triggered if the computers detect (either correctly or incorrectly) that a restraint is not fastened properly.
Interesting...

and so following on it seems difficult to solve with maintenance. All the maintenance in the world isn't going to get around the unknowable variable of humans loading/or unloading conescutive cars too slowly...
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #81
stargazertechie
Toy Story Midway Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandReneePlus5 View Post
Interesting...

and so following on it seems difficult to solve with maintenance. All the maintenance in the world isn't going to get around the unknowable variable of humans loading/or unloading conescutive cars too slowly...
I've been on Splash when they had to do what is known as a zone reset- basically some genius stood up, so the ride stopped... which meant all of the logs backed up at the emergency stop points in the ride path. The water drained out from the portions of the ride with chains/conveyors (so the big drop, the drop inside, etc), the lights came up, and we waited.

At first we were being told we were going to be evacuated, but they were able to do a reset zone by zone. What it resulted in was a 65 minute wait where we sat before our log finally made it back up front to the unloading area. They basically had to re-launch all of the logs with the proper spacing, but they had to create backups in other portions of the ride first to do so until everyone was off the ride.

Hence why my golden rule is if a ride has been down between 35 and 60 minutes I will wait it out to see if it comes back up. If it's not back up within 90 minutes of closing it is probably more than just a reset issue.

Upcoming trip- WDW Trip #14. BCV. 6/13.

Thinking about buying pins from ebay and getting into pin trading? PLEASE READ THIS FIRST!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #82
Cinderella's slipper
A cross between Cinderella and Winnie the Pooh - "uniquely me"

Concerning trend of ride and facility breakdowns

The last time we visited in October 2012, we noticed a disturbing trend of rides being down and facilities that were not working. As part of our pre-trip planning I read some reviews of unhappy guests that stated that the escalators in the Land were not working, and that many of the big rides experienced breakdowns. Sadly, that was our experience as well, and it alarmed us at the time.

Starting with EMH Toy Story Mania was down the day we scheduled to visit. We got fast passes for the ride and kept our fingers crossed that the ride would be working before we left for the day. This was our only day scheduled in the Studios for this visit. In addition, as this park is not a full day for us, we were left with some free time, as we had hoped to ride all of the big ticket rides and then leave mid day and come back for dinner and Fantasmic. The breakdown of TSMM disrupted our plans. We did eventually get to ride it, but just once instead of twice as we had planned. We tried to ride it again, but after waiting an hour and 30 minutes the stand by line just wasn't moving.

In Epcot, we found that the escalators down to Soarin were not functioning. While I can walk the stairs, a previous surgery doesn't make climbing stairs very fast or easy. We didn't want to wait for the elevators, so we trekked down and back up again to get fast passes for Soarin.

In the Magic Kingdom Splash Mountain was down at various times when we tried to ride. We did eventually get on this ride.

Disney World is not an inexpensive vacation, and my expectations are on par with our spending. Was it a Magical Experience, yes. Was the trend of rides and facilities being non functional disturbing, yes. Did we notice fewer workers sweeping up trash, yes. We realize our vacation is just a snapshot in time, yet I hope these types of trends do not continue.

Linda ~~WDW Commando Club #200
October 1982 offsite -- October 1986 offsite
Many trips in between -POFQ -- Disney World Land & Sea Cruise Poly, Sept 2001 -- POR, Sept 2002 -- Disneyland, Aug 2005 --Shades of Green, Feb 2008 -- Dreams Come True Trip, AKL, Oct 2009 --POFQ, Sept 2011 -- Pop Century, Oct 2012 -- Offsite, March 2014 an all girls trip.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #83
afinnteach
Mouseketeer

I'd like to respond to OP comment about people "cutting" in line. (Hopefully I won't get flamed for my opinion I have traveled several times with my MIL, FIL, SIL, DH, DS, and DD (both preschoolers at the time) to DW. We would often leave 2/3 adults in the line to wait and have the other 2/3 take the kiddos to the bathroom or to play at a playground, sit on a bench etc... basically do anything that would keep them from fussing and annoying everyone around us in line. This also helped my FIL who can sometimes have difficulty standing (especially in heat/sun) for longer periods of time. I always felt like we were giving the people around us a break (from our children). I think it was pretty obvious to those right behind us as we would all get in line together and then figure out who was taking who where. We would return before the line started to get too far into a queue so we didn't have to say excuse me to a million people.

I've personally never found this irritating at a park, but obviously some people do. I'm not sure it would stop me from doing it with small kiddos (or in a potty emergency with my primary age kiddos now). We always try to be polite and kind to anyone around us and I don't mind if other do it as well and are polite about it. Just wanted to add my perspective. Those "cutters" may have saved you from listening to a 2 year old scream cry or a 3 year old run around your legs for 40 minutes! LOL
Old 01-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #84
LucyBC80
DIS Veteran

Cutting is cutting no matter how you word it.

Last edited by LucyBC80; 01-04-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #85
flea1267
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stvisit0909 View Post
There were more people in the FP line than last time we went. I figured it was a combination of more people period and return times enforced. We rode a lot with FP, I do not recall seeing a 25-1 ratio. Seemed like it was about 10-1 on our rides.
My DD is a former CM and she worked at Dinosaur - she said they are instructed to let in 80% of the FP line then just 20% of the stand by line...so you all were right about them letting in much more FP guests than stand by guests.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #86
bolognehead
DisneyAddict

I must be really lucky, every disney vacation I been on the only rides that were ever down and for about an hour were Everest and Splash Mountain. I've been going for 10 years every, year now.
2005- Fort Wilderness
2006- All Star Movies
2007- Pop Century
2008- Contemporary
2010- Polynesian/Contemporary
2011- Contemporary
2012- Pop Century
2013- July trip at BLT as new DVC members! December at the AKL!

Last edited by bolognehead; 01-04-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #87
Lehuaann
Lehu hu Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flea1267 View Post
My DD is a former CM and she worked at Dinosaur - she said they are instructed to let in 80% of the FP line then just 20% of the stand by line...so you all were right about them letting in much more FP guests than stand by guests.
Well either the CM's are not following the instructions...or need to learn to count!

As you stated, for every 100 combined: the ratio would be 80 FPs to 20 SBs.....or for every 50 combined: 40 FP to 10 SB. This would be fine.

But this was clearly NOT the case for many of us. It was 50+ FP for every 3-5 SB. We stood there and counted.

According to the ratio for every 50 FP, around 13 SB should have been let through.

DL & WDW * FW Cabin 3x * AKL CL 2x * Poly CL * CR CL * AKL Arusha * POFQ * POR

Last edited by Lehuaann; 01-04-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:55 PM   #88
DVCJones
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afinnteach
I'd like to respond to OP comment about people "cutting" in line. (Hopefully I won't get flamed for my opinion I have traveled several times with my MIL, FIL, SIL, DH, DS, and DD (both preschoolers at the time) to DW. We would often leave 2/3 adults in the line to wait and have the other 2/3 take the kiddos to the bathroom or to play at a playground, sit on a bench etc... basically do anything that would keep them from fussing and annoying everyone around us in line. This also helped my FIL who can sometimes have difficulty standing (especially in heat/sun) for longer periods of time. I always felt like we were giving the people around us a break (from our children). I think it was pretty obvious to those right behind us as we would all get in line together and then figure out who was taking who where. We would return before the line started to get too far into a queue so we didn't have to say excuse me to a million people.

I've personally never found this irritating at a park, but obviously some people do. I'm not sure it would stop me from doing it with small kiddos (or in a potty emergency with my primary age kiddos now). We always try to be polite and kind to anyone around us and I don't mind if other do it as well and are polite about it. Just wanted to add my perspective. Those "cutters" may have saved you from listening to a 2 year old scream cry or a 3 year old run around your legs for 40 minutes! LOL
I've been taking my kids since they were infants. We have always stood in line together. My kids learned at a very young age that WDW meant standing in lines and we taught them how to behave in line. It has NEVER been a problem. They learned quickly that if they misbehaved, we left the line and they didn't get to go on the attraction. With that being said, I have left the line to take them to use the potty and then rejoin my family when finished. I think that is different than not entering the line together or not until well after the rest of the family.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #89
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCJones View Post
I've been taking my kids since they were infants. We have always stood in line together. My kids learned at a very young age that WDW meant standing in lines and we taught them how to behave in line. It has NEVER been a problem. They learned quickly that if they misbehaved, we left the line and they didn't get to go on the attraction. With that being said, I have left the line to take them to use the potty and then rejoin my family when finished. I think that is different than not entering the line together or not until well after the rest of the family.
I for one, thank you. I have three kids and never (barring bathroom emergency) let them leave and get back in the line.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #90
LSUfan4444
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afinnteach View Post

You're either in line or your not. So it's okay to take them to the playground while someone else stands in line, but where do you draw the line?

Can my wife take our daughter to eat while I stand in TSM line? Can I take my daughter to take pictures with Buzz while my wife stands in line for Peter Pan?

If people cannot handle extended wait times, there are measures that can be taken to reduce them. If they are health related, see guest relations for a GAC. If it is because kids get out of hand, they either need to behave better, arrive to the parks earlier or use FPs better. Not waiting in line but having other people hold your spot is not a valid option in my opinion.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: