Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Lollipop's Mom
Special trip with your little one ~~ PRICELESS!

My ALASKA MAY 17TH INFO THREAD! ##ALL NAVIGATORS ADDED FIRST POST##

Ok my pm box is filling up.
I seriously am sitting here still feeling like I am rocking on the boat - totally have sea legs (actually sea body lol).
INCREDIBLE! FABULOUS! LOVED IT!!
I feel so relaxed and like I have been gone away for a month! I will try and answer your questions as best as I can! We ate in the dining room every night (didn't skip any!).

So rather than this being a 'trip report' -this is more some observations, info you can use, I will scan the navigators -so mods please don't toss this over into trip reports - its meant to be more of an 'info' thread.
I will upload a few photos later.

NAVIGATORS -
ALL NAVIGATORS/MOVIE LIST/ETC... CAN BE SEEN HERE
Gratuities towards my next cruise accepted (kidding!)

Stayed at the Pan Pacific - I know I posted a thread with some info on that.

Embarkation - some of you may have seen me post that day. I am trying to remember the time frame we went there - I know I posted it, but after I posted that HUGE line up photo, and they said customs opened at 11am - it actually opened at 10:50am. People who had babes in arms and wheelchairs were allowed to go outside of the ropes and priority board. We were through customs, through the rest of security and getting our KTTW cards by 11;15am - and you saw how many people were in front of us! This was also for TWO ships -there was a HA ship in port as well - its fast, so don't be intimidated by the line. I would recommend getting to port no sooner than 10:15 and expect to wait for that 45 mins. In the terminal there is a small snack bar, binocular sales (I believe about $50-$200), and make sure you get the Alaskan port coupon book - kinda fun - more on that later.
We were boarding group 5. As you pass through security just before you get your KTTW cards, you are handed a number. There would be no way to negotiate this number at this point. Its just handed to you from a pile.
After getting your KTTW cards you are directed to a large seating area. They play disney music, Mickey made a visit for photos, and the time passed quickly. We talked to people and ended up meeting up with some of our dismeet people, and the wait is really nothing to get worried about.
Upgrades were available. I know someone who upgraded from inside to verandah for $1000.00. I know someone else who was offered inside gty to a deck 1 small porthole for $600 (they passed).
We were on board by 12:15pm.
Note that MANY, if not ALL people working in the terminal wearing disney nametags and coats, do not actually seem to work directly for DCL permanently - they all seemed to be Vancouver locals hired for cruise season and really had no clue what they were talking about most of the time. Answers were canned answers they learned at orientation. Very few smiled or had the 'Disney' castmember type attitude you would expect on the cruise. They were all there when we got home today too - all the same people, but none of them were actually on board.

I was shocked to see how many people boarded around 1-3pm - they were told by travel agents to arrive around 1-2pm. So the ship seemed pretty empty until 2pm. They were automatically directing people to Parrot Cay for lunch, but we grabbed an elevator to deck 9. Gorgeous day and we got food and then sat outside to eat. Seems so much more magical out there overlooking our home town than sitting inside a restaurant on deck 3!

Rooms opened at 1:45pm. We had room 6543 inside 11A (had booked an IGT).

Met our room 'dude' as we came to call him right away, very attentive.

Sailaway party was good -same one they do all the time. We opted for Deck 10 looking down. Party has a much different atmosphere than down south.
I would say the cruise was 45% caucasian, 45% asian and 10% 'other' - now I am not point this out to be racist in any way - but many of the people on board were much more reserved than what you would witness at sailaway in Orlando. Fewer disney 'fanatics' and more multi-generational families from the Vancouver area who were taking advantage of the DCL ship being close to home. Many I spoke with had never been on a cruise before.

Ship had 2414 people on board. 1256 of them were Canadian. 950 ish of them were local to the Lower Mainland of Vancouver. Christian said this was the record for the most Canadians on a DCL ship ever.
Now.. only 600 of the 2414 were Castaway Club members, and many many of those were NOT the Canadians. We are castaway club and met very few Canadians who were. So it is a very different atmosphere. I did notice as the week went on, more people were loosening up and having a good time.
Again the Asian population this high is something I could tell DCL was not used to - they ran out of tea, I noticed them adding rice to many meals as an option and also on every buffet there were at least 5-6 asian type dishes. I don't recall this before, but it was great they noticed and were catering to them. They seemed to travel in larger multi-generational family groups that could fill up an entire elevator at once. So be patient with elevators, as usually you might have a family of 2, 3 or 4 getting in on other cruises, but these families were sticking together and would crowd 8 or 9 people in, hence you had to wait quite often for a 2nd elevator. Again, this is in NO way racist or meant to be - just observations from having this group of passengers on board (Vancouver has a very high Asian population).

DCL did a great job with table seatings. I noticed it was really matched up nicely for families- seemed to be people with little kids were seated with other similar families, or elderly couples with another elderly couple. Meg and I LOVED our table mates (a mom traveling alone with her 11 yr old daughter) and have become great friends with them.

SHIP MOVEMENT...
WOW was she a rocking that first night! I woke up and our room was really moving -I was expecting to turn on the tv and see we had gone on the outside passage and giant waves were upon us. Nope -turned it on - inside passage in calm waters. I found the Wonder moved a LOT more than the Magic ever did out in the open Caribbean waters. We did not get sea sick, and the motion was felt everywhere on the ship. Front, back, low, middle, high - it was a rocky first day. On the way home we had some as well - it rocked us to sleep at night a few nights. I didn't hear of anyone complaining of motion sickness, as it was almost a very slow and gentle rocking.

FOOD...Dining room food was good most nights, had a couple of off nights. I found the buffets to be terrible. Food was just not good IMO. Or was really oddball stuff that does not appeal to a picky eater or a child. Everything was mushy and I have had better in a high school cafeteria. I ate a lot of fruit at lunch.
Also, something that became a running joke on the ship - they have this chocolate dessert that t he first time you have it its 'yummy, wow this is great stuff' - its like a chocolate mousse with a chocolate cookie crumb bottom. But the joke because 'how many things can they make with chocolate mousse' - no joke, every buffet and every dinner had some 'chocolate lovers' type dessert and it was ALL made with this. Sometimes it was cut into a square and had a raspberry tossed on top and it became a raspberry decadant chocolate square. Or molded into a circle with whip cream and was 'chocolate lovers delight', or if you were lucky, sometimes you got a vanilla bottom and it was called something else - I think I saw this same chocolate mousse prepared or used at least 15-20 different ways! I lucked out when it was actually sandwiched between REAL cake. Real cake was hard to come by. We decided that this mousse must be easy to store and keep for a long time, so they just make pans and pans of it. I never want to see chocolate mousse again for a very very long time!

We didn't enjoy the Island dinner at Parrot Cay at all and actually sent our entrees back (all 4 of us at the table) and went right onto dessert. I wouldn't even bother to eat there again.

I got sick of 'park food' on deck 9 (which was cold by the time you got it anywhere to eat it). This is one area DCL really needs to step it up - food was redundant and sometimes downright inedible. Tough chicken I couldn't even chew, odd flavored food, etc... I kept telling myself that the entertainment was making up for crappy food.
I have been on 2 other cruise lines and their 24 hour buffets can not be beat. DCL really has to step it up in a BIG way.
One exception was my Palo brunch -TO DIE FOR!

Entertainment - We saw every show but one (it was oddly on at 7:15pm and we missed it because dinner ran late that night). Love the shows, the hypnotist was Dale K and he was good, but I like Ricky Kalmon better. Saw his adult show too and it was funny. Show was good for a laugh - definately go see it.
We hated Toy Story the Musical - I thought we would love it, we left half way through. Could not watch another minute of it - just terrible. Time for a new show.
I found on the first day at sea they were not offering enough family activities and actually mentioned this to Christian, who was happy to get the feedback. We went from 11am-1pm (ish) with really nothing to do - no movie playing, no games, no NOTHING - other than bingo. He agreed there was a gap there he had not noticed, so hopefully this will change for all of you!

Debarkation - we were the purple minnies and the 3rd group -called about 8:45am, we sat and waited for the line to disappear - it did in 10 mins, then we were through customs, got our luggage (tons of carts available) and were sitting outside waiting for our ride at 9:05am. Very fast and easy, although porters would be nice - pushing that luggage cart was tough on my back after a week at sea. LOL.

PORTS OF CALL INFO:

Tracy Arm - OUR MOST FAVE DAY OF THE CRUISE!!!!!
I thought we might last an hour out there - didn't think it would interest us much -BOY WAS I WRONG!!
We had been to the Mickey 200 vegetable car race at 11am (loved it) and then went to our room to get jackets, mitts, drink cups, etc... and shoved it all in our new castaway club bag. We got up on deck at 12:15pm. It just so happened that we picked the PERFECT viewing spot without giving it much thought. We got off the elevator on deck 10 and at the side of the ship, hardly anyone was there - everyone was crowding (and I mean CROWDING) to deck 10 fwd. We grabbed 2 lounge chairs, pulled them up to the side of the ship (right up to the plexiglass) and 'set up camp'. We got blankets (they have these all over the place), hot chocolates, made pillows out of our jackets (for the first hour or so we were in short sleeves!) and were ready to watch. People started following our lead and soon the side of the ship had quite a few people doing the same thing, but it was not crowded and still lots of space left. Now I still have not figured out my starboard and port sides - so if you are standing on the ship and looking towards the front, we were on the left side of the deck. We were just down from the first funnel, and if we turned our heads slightly we could see the jumbo tron funnel vision over the pool, which was a bonus, because the camera guy does some incredible close ups on that - we didn't even know this - just picked a comfy spot which we thought we might stay for an 'hour or so'.
It was one of those great 'quality time' moments for me with my daughter. We sat and chatted and pointed stuff out, took a ton of photos, etc... and as we moved into Tracy Arm it got colder and colder, and on went the jackets and mitts, but still not terrible. I actually got sunburnt!!!!!! I spent a lot of time in short sleeves and got burnt - also our faces got burnt! I actually came home from Alaska with some color! lol.
We were approaching the main glacier and I said to Meg "how long have we been out here? about an hour and a half?" -looked at the time and we had been there for about 3.5 hours!!!!! The time just flew by. Mickey had come by in his rain gear, Minnie in her coat, etc.. They did have the BBQ on deck 10 but I had Palo brunch that day and couldn't eat a thing! They had guys going around with coffee carts, another guy was coming around with pizza and giving it out - was really great. We also were close enough to that funnel that when someone found seals on the other side, we could quickly run over, look for a bit and come back to our spot. We had nice people beside us, so we took turns looking after each others stuff while we did a potty run or ran to look at something on the other side.
Also, there is a speaker right behind you at this location, and we could hear the naturalist loud and clear!!!
They kept the pool open for the kids and they could see the view on the funnel vision, which was great. They did a good job of keeping the kids from screaming and being overly noisy as well. We passed a Carnvial ship at one point.
We saw whales, eagles, and seals.
Now here is the BEST part - remember I had NO clue where we would get the best view - just randomly grabbed this spot - when the ship got to the glacier it turned sideways so that as many people as possible could get a good view - it turned on our side!!! So here were all these people racing around trying to get a spot to look and take photos, and we were front row center - literally!
The ship stayed for about 20 mins and then made its way back out. We packed up at this point as we were getting a bit cold and had dinner a half hour later.

SKAGWAY
Let me preface all of my port of call stuff by saying we were not doing any excursions. We were on a budget and also have ZERO interest in dog sledding, hiking, white water rafting, etc...etc.. We are not outdoorsy girls at all. Just wanted to go on the cruise, and the ports were a 'bonus'. I will add in a few things from other people that I spoke to though.

In Skagway the walk to town is not too bad, maybe 5-7 minutes? There is a shuttle as well that we found when we were way at the other end of town and took it back to the ship. Population is about 600 here and its a teeny tiny town and I am not quite sure why we were there for 12 hours. It is basically a street lined with jewelry stores and tacky tourist gift shops.
If you are looking for a good warm jacket, and can wait until you get here (or any of the 3 ports), they are sold here for 19.99 and 24.99 and are really nice fleece lined jackets that are waterproof on the outside. They remind me of columbia or lands end type jackets and had tons of colors and went up to about a size XXL from what I saw. Tons of people were buying them. I was surprised at the low price for what looked like a more expensive jacket.
Also, in the tourist shops there are tons of travel items you might need (pain pills, immodium, antacids, toothbrushes, etc..).
They also have this great 99 cent section, and its bins full of cheapie stuff that is great for the kids to get a little something or some cute stuff to bring home to school friends.

We decided to do this thing we found in the coupon book I mentioned earlier - you visit a total of 9 stores over the 3 ports and get a free charm and a free gold coin. At the end your charms Read "Alaska * 11" or something like t hat - so we found the first place and went in and asked how it all worked. Big mistake! Next thing I knew they had an $1100 ring on meg's finger and was wondering if she was paying for it herself or 'daddy' was buying it. Now Meg has a quick wit and said 'Oh I dont have a daddy, so guess I won't be getting it' and the woman stared blankly at us. Then she says 'Well then I guess mommy is buying it!' and looks at me. When I said no, she pulled out a $500 ring and slips it on her hand - nope not buying my 15 yr old daughter a diamond ring but thanks anyway. lol. I had trouble getting the charm out of her, but not without this girl literally pretending to cry because she wanted us to buy the ring. No joke!
So off to the next store, but this time I hid around the corner and Meg went in on her own. This worked - the guy just handed over a charm. He wasn't going to hard sell a 15 yr old who was alone. LOL.

I would have loved to do the train, but found it just too pricey. Talked to people who did it and they said they liked it, but it was fairly long and tons of people and kids were just sleeping on the return trip. All of these families who had spent big $$$ for their kids to ride this train, just conked out asleep because they were so tired from the kids clubs and swimming! So if you have little ones, maybe rethink this excursion or make sure they are not sleepy at all when you go on.

I know someone who had a white water rafting trip scheduled (I think in this port???) and it was cancelled due to the river still being frozen.

We only spent a couple hours in Skagway and went back to the ship. It was raining so we took the shuttle. It still drops you a bit of a walk away from the ship, but closer than we were! It is $2 per person.

JUNEAU

Juneau was nice. Get off the ship and there is a free shuttle right there to take you to downtown. DCL gets the dock furthest away and I advise the shuttle. It is actually a big BUS - like a greyhound - so you don't have to wait in long lines and they run constantly.
The bus drops you off in front of the tram ride. We opted not to do it because we heard (and turns out it was true) there is still a ton of snow up top and they recommended wearing boots, which we didn't have with us. We went to more 'tacky tourist shops' and there were tons and tons of vendors selling tours and trips to Mendenhall Glacier. The signs say $8, but note that this is ONE way, so its $16 return. BUT>.... hint - my tablemate decided to wait until about noon, when it was dying down for them and said loudly 'oh I would do this if it was $8 return' and 2 vendors jumped up and said "I can do that for you!". So she got quite a deal. She said it was nice and had a good time. They let the kids touch some of the ice and stuff.

We walked through town, there is a cute toy store there, fudge shop and of course the Red Dog Saloon.
Line for the saloon was out the door but seemed to move fast. We decided to go in. Wait was only about 5 mins with 3 people in front of us. We went in and at first was 'oh this is neat', but we ended up not loving it so much. There is the sawdust on the floor and I had on crocs - so make sure you don't make the mistake I did. My feet itched for 2 days I swear! lol. We sat down and just ordered 2 gingerales. There are no windows in this place, and just tons and tons of 'stuff' on the walls and ceiling. Neat at first but then we kinda noticed this smell, and it felt very claustrophobic and we had to leave. I left money on the table for our drinks we had taken 3 sips of. I started to feel sick in there - just the smell and it seemed really dirty - just did not like it at all and couldn't get out fast enough. Some people would probably love it, but didn't work for us.
We walked around but just missed the ship and went back to play trivia!
I know someone who did whale watching here and said it was incredible and worth every penny. Another did dog sledding and said it was a lot of fun.
Note there are shuttles to Fred Meyer and Walmart from here if you are interested too.

KETCHIKAN
This was our fave port and wish we had done it differently!
The ship docks beside a large parking lot type place. There is a great shuttle you can catch that runs every 10-20 mins in a continuous loop around town, taking you to all major sites, shopping and the lumberjack show.
There is also a walmart shuttle and several tour operators here.
You can get a float plane for about $100 less here.
We saw something that caught our eye, and that was the ride the ducks tour. www.akduck.com
We have seen these in Seattle and thought it looked like fun, so $76 later we were booked on the 2pm ride.
There is a shop right there that is a little bit tourist stuff and a whole lot of hardware. You will see it has tons of colorful lawn chairs out front. If you have ever wanted to own your very own travelocity gnome, you can buy them here for $36.95! Meg wanted one but I said no. LOL.

We went on the duck tour and it was cute, but not worth $76! We were regretting it when they took us through town and we saw how much shopping was there that didn't seem to be ALL tacky shops. Lots of jewelry stores, but lots of other great stuff too.
The tour took us all over - but it was on all the residential streets and it was a bit of culture shock to see how these locals live. Many of the houses had more garbage on their front lawn than my local dump. Trashy homes that were falling apart. Nearly every car driving around looked like it was on its last legs. This did not seem like a wealthy town - there is probably a more wealthy area, but they didn't take us through it. We could see inside peoples houses and all you could see were massive amounts of garbage and mess. Big eye opener on how some people live for sure. They showed us the salmon ladder, and of course none there right now. We saw all kind of different places and then headed out into the water. We saw a few eagles and the tour guide was really informative. She was about 19 or 20 yrs, and was telling us how the kids who live there must pass both a 7th and 8th grade wilderness test to pass the grades. They are basically dumped with 5 kids on an island with a knife, sleeping bag, can of beans, some rope and a small bag of clothes for a week and have to survive. Meg sat in horror as she heard this, as she is a total city girl and her idea of roughing it would be a motel 6. lol.
After we got out of the water they had to spray down the brakes to get rid of the salt water and they had picked up a HUGE piece of seaweed called bull weed. She brought it on board and the kids touched it. Then off we went and the tour finished. Lasted about 1.5 hours. Took us right back to the ship.
As we were getting off, the walmart shuttle pulled up and on a whim we decided to go see the '3rd smallest walmart in the world'. We were on there with a lot of crew members. There is a subway at the walmart. We lasted 5 mins and went outside to catch the shuttle back, both of us going 'what were we thinking?'. LOL.
We were back at 4pm and decided to hop the free shuttle to downtown. She pointed out all the stops and told us she did 10 min loops.
We got off at one of the stops and she said she would be back in 10-15 mins. We saw all the stores and wished we had more time, but had dinner at 5:45 -so we ran into 3 of them and bought a couple of quick things and were happy -then we stood and waited for the shuttle - and waited...and waited - it was now 5:30 and no shuttle - dinner in 15 mins - eek! We started to walk back and there she was - she had decided to do a few direct shuttles to the lumberjack show at the request of some people. We got back onto the ship at 5:40, dumped stuff in our room, brushed our hair and ran to dinner in jeans. lol.

So I really advise you to save your shopping for Ketchikan if you don't have a big excursion that day. The other 2 places have some neat stuff, but Ketchikan was by far the best. Our tablemates shopped all day for about 5 hours and said it was just the best.

Not a port of call - but wanted to mention PIRATE NIGHT!!!
In my opinion - HUGE FAIL!!!!! It was FRIGID on deck -and remember that I am a Canadian who was in short sleeves on deck a lot. I had on a fleece jacket and a windbreaker jacket, 3 blankets and drank a hot chocolate. The poor cast members were freezing and I saw one girl almost in tears as she came out in that pirate costume - she did NOT want to be out there. Another cast member gave her a hug and they started the show. There was no one on deck -maybe 40-50 people dancing along - and that was mostly small kids in winter gear. We left - it was sooooooooooooooo windy - there was no way Mickey was going on that wire. We couldn't take the cold - no one could. I heard that towards the end there were maybe 30 people on deck. I put this on the comment card -t hey really need to rethink this one in a BIG way. Move it to the lobby and do it as a pirate dance party maybe?
The buffet was in beach blanket and was tex mex and also had a crepe station. They had all the fixings for tacos, but NO taco meat - I am NOT joking - they had 'chili meat' - it tasted like chili as oppossed to a regular taco meat. LOL. It was not crowded - I think a lot of people didn't catch this in the navigator and had no clue.
I will post more soon!

Sept 2015 - Disney Wonder Hawaii
Sept 2014 - Caribbean Beach Resort
Dec 2013 - Disneyland
May 2013 -Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean
March 2013 -AKL Jambo Studio & AKL Jambo Concierge, & POR Princess Room
March 2012 -Disney Wonder Mexico
March 2012 - Disneyland
May 2011 - Disney Wonder Alaska
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - Disney Magic Western Caribbean
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
Sept 1994 - All Star Sports
April 1977 -Contemporary

Last edited by Lollipop's Mom; 05-25-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Lollipop's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Anjelica
Self-Declared Queen of WebSphere

Thanks for the right up!!!! Very helpful (We leave on Saturday for our trip). I did have a follow-up question though - you said that customs was giving priority to those with babies and folks in wheelchairs. Was the regular customs line not "HA" friendly? My brother uses his wheelchair quite a bit and I don't really want him seperated from us (I'm sure he doesn't want to either as I'm the organized one). He won't mind standing in line with us (regular line) but I just want to make sure its HA friendly.

To that end - how was the port in terms of Wheelchair access - pretty "friendly"?
Anjelica is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
smb6
DIS Veteran

Lots of great info!
smb6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:56 PM   #4
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your report. A few questions???
What were the temperature on deck on sea days and port days?
Did you do excursions?
Were the mosquitoes bad?
How was the BBQ?
How was the food on taste of Alaska?
Thanks so much.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
Lollipop's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjelica View Post
Thanks for the right up!!!! Very helpful (We leave on Saturday for our trip). I did have a follow-up question though - you said that customs was giving priority to those with babies and folks in wheelchairs. Was the regular customs line not "HA" friendly? My brother uses his wheelchair quite a bit and I don't really want him seperated from us (I'm sure he doesn't want to either as I'm the organized one). He won't mind standing in line with us (regular line) but I just want to make sure its HA friendly.

To that end - how was the port in terms of Wheelchair access - pretty "friendly"?
Yes it is HA friendly, but they would let entire families with HA people go ahead and get through customs first.
The port is very wheelchair friendly!

Dec 2013 - Disneyland
March 2012 - Disneyland
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
April 1977 -Contemporary

Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #6
Petals & Pixie Dust
DIS Veteran

What was this Alaskan Port book you talked about and where did you get it???
Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #7
HiMagicFan
DIS Veteran

Thank You

Appreciated your sharing with us as we were all waiting....eagerly!
HiMagicFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Lollipop's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy View Post
Thanks for your report. A few questions???
What were the temperature on deck on sea days and port days?
Ranged 40-60, mostly around low 50s. Sometimes I needed a jacket and other times was out in short sleeves. Kids were swimming a LOT - pools were crowded at times.

Did you do excursions?
No, but will get into more details - actually we did hop on the duck tour in Ketchikan - I will post info about all of that soon!
Were the mosquitoes bad?
Didn't even see one!
How was the BBQ?
Looked yummy and people said it was good, but I was too full from Palo!How was the food on taste of Alaska?
I have to look at the menu to remember what I ate, but I remember it was good -I know i had the crab legs for an appy - and have to see the menu, but remember it being good.Thanks so much.

Dec 2013 - Disneyland
March 2012 - Disneyland
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
April 1977 -Contemporary

Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Lollipop's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petals & Pixie Dust View Post
What was this Alaskan Port book you talked about and where did you get it???
When you get to the main terminal in Vancouver you can't miss them - 100s and 100s of them being handed out - I will take a photo and describe more later for you!

Dec 2013 - Disneyland
March 2012 - Disneyland
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
April 1977 -Contemporary

Old 05-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #10
Lollipop's Mom

Added pirate night info to the main post.

Dec 2013 - Disneyland
March 2012 - Disneyland
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
April 1977 -Contemporary

Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM   #11
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Thank you so, so much for sharing your experience with the rest of us!

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #12
Lollipop's Mom

I posted a link to a navigator at the top of the thread- can someone test it- can you see it?

Dec 2013 - Disneyland
March 2012 - Disneyland
Apr 2010 - Disneyland
Jan 2010 -Disneyland
Jan 2009 - POFQ
Jan 2008 - POP
April 2007 - Disneyland
Sept 2000 - Disneyland
Jan 2000 -BWV Studio
April 1977 -Contemporary

Old 05-24-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
mmmears
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollipop's Mom View Post
I posted a link to a navigator at the top of the thread- can someone test it- can you see it?
No, I can't see it. It says error 403 and that I probably need to log in?

* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM   #14
Cerberus9
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the trip report!

Just for contrast, we were on the May 10 cruise (the one before you). It's interesting how big a factor weather can play. For us, it was cool, but not cold for the Pirate Party (I was originally on deck in short selves, but eventually put on a sweater). I didn't find it bad, but it was certainly underwhelming.

I didn't find Parrot Quay to be any worse than the other restaurants... not bad, but nothing to write home about (I suspect all the food for all three restaurants is cooked at the same time by the same chefs--at least thats what it tasted like). Next time, we're going to do less restaurant dining and more room service dining...

The shows were good (I was actually impressed by Toy Story the Musical).
Cerberus9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:39 PM   #15
Weedy
DIS Veteran

For the first time ever we book a balcony on the starboard (right hand side). How long was it until the ship turned around? How long did she stay with the starboard side facing Tracy Arm?
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: