Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
KateMW
DIS Veteran

Kid's Menu questions...

We are taking our first cruise {DCL or otherwise} in March 2014. DD will be 9 at the time, but already she does not eat off the kid's menu when we go out. She has a very sophisticated palette for a child, heck even adults don't eat what she'll eat. Anyway, is she going to be forced to eat the kid's menu all the time or can we order her more adult choices? I see where I can order as much as I want of whatever. I'm just wondering if she can order straight from that menu or do I need to order it for her and she still orders from the kid's menu.

Second question~ Is there a link to the kid's menus for the restaurants on The Fantasy? DD might eat like an adult most of the time, but who doesn't love mac and cheese every once in awhile.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

Anyone can order off either the regular menu or kids menu regardless of age.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateMW View Post
We are taking our first cruise {DCL or otherwise} in March 2014. DD will be 9 at the time, but already she does not eat off the kid's menu when we go out. She has a very sophisticated palette for a child, heck even adults don't eat what she'll eat. Anyway, is she going to be forced to eat the kid's menu all the time or can we order her more adult choices? I see where I can order as much as I want of whatever. I'm just wondering if she can order straight from that menu or do I need to order it for her and she still orders from the kid's menu.

Second question~ Is there a link to the kid's menus for the restaurants on The Fantasy? DD might eat like an adult most of the time, but who doesn't love mac and cheese every once in awhile.
Anyone (adult or child) can order off whichever menu (adult or child) they wish.

My DS19 had the chicken strips off the kids menu every night as his appitizer and his entree from the "adult" menu.

Here is a link to menus:
http://disneycruiselineblog.com/

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #4
KateMW
DIS Veteran

Thanks everybody!
You know now she'll probably want to eat mac and cheese every day!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:19 PM   #5
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everybody!
Ha ha!

DS mostly ate off the children's menu when we were there but it did have some yummy things on it outside of the chicken fingers/hot dog/mac & cheese route. He had pizza once or twice but it was chicken and broccoli pizza and something else kind of "gourmet" (especially for kids). Once or twice he ordered off adult menu for app or something. I just like that he had the option...

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW:All Star Sports Oct 2014 * Caribbean Beach Resort Oct 2014 * Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
braysmommy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks everybody!
Mine ate mac and cheese for 14 nights and survived while I cringed each night....hoping our upcoming 18 nights he might try something else once or twice
braysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #7
poohssmum
DIS Veteran

My son would usually order the beef off the adult menu w/a side of that Mickey Mac-n-Cheese. Your DD will be perfectly welcome to order whatever she wants off of either menu. My kids love to cruise and use dinner as a time to try different things they wouldn't normally get to try ... like Escargot. And I like that I can order a Mickey Bar and no one bats an eye
Old 01-03-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Our DD10 ordered a steak from the adult menu almost every night of our recent 7-nighter on the Fantasy...as well as "adult" appetizers and desserts most nights. On the flip side, most of the adults in our group (4 adults, 5 kids) had a tendency to gobble up some mac and cheese, too (it became a running joke...none of us actually ordered it, but when the kids would go to the bathroom, their mac and cheese had a tendency to disappear!), so it's funny to see how everyone's tastes can get satisfied. The servers are more than happy to accommodate whatever you want from either menu.

I weighed myself yesterday for the first time since the cruise and a couple of weeks of Christmas eating...if ever there was proof that you can eat whatever you want on a cruise, my scales are it!
Old 01-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysmommy View Post
Mine ate mac and cheese for 14 nights and survived while I cringed each night....hoping our upcoming 18 nights he might try something else once or twice
Holy smokes! Part of me is jealous of an 18-night dining adventure, while the other part of me almost exploded just thinking about it.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #10
mnewcomer
Happy Disneyland Annual Passholder Since 2004

We just came off a 14 night cruise my 8 yr old loves Salmon so he would order an adult fish but they would still get the kids fry & dessert. He was very happy with this option. Many nights the adults would order the kids dessert.
Disney Dream Apr. 2012
Disney Wonder thru Panama Canal Dec. 2012
Disney World & Fantasy Cruise Nov. 2013

mnewcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
emtmom0104
DIS Veteran

I usually order dinner off the adult menu then dessert off the kids menu

Disney Dream 5-19-2011 -3 night Bahamas,Disney Magic 4-25-2012 & 4-30-2012 -4&5 night Bahamas,Disney Wonder 2-7-13 & 2-11-13 -4 night Bahamas & 5 night western Caribbean ,Disney Fantasy 2-22-14 -7 night eastern Caribbean, Disney Magic 4-19-15 - 7 night western Caribbean
emtmom0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #12
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

In 6 cruises, DD ordered once off a child's menu for lunch in Lumiere's and HATED IT. Every dinner has been off of the adult menu. Lobster, scallops, red snapper, and the list goes on. She's been ordering off of the DCL adult menus since her first cruise at 3 1/2. We eat at Cabanas for lunch too - no burgers/fries/hot dogs/chicken fingers for her (or us)! And yes, she orders off of the adult menu normally at home as well for the most part.

Oh, dessert? No contest. She usually goes for the Mickey Bar!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: