Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
chilly2336
Earning My Ears

How to become an Imagineer?

My child is extremely interested in becoming an Imagineer. Anyone out there know what the steps are in order to potentially have an opportunity?
chilly2336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
castlecouture2011
Earning My Ears

Location: Arkansas...until I move back to FL to work for the mouse :)

Know an imagineer. I've had informational interviews with a few (as that is also my long term goal), and they said its just like many other jobs in that networking is KEY and that literally the best way to become one is to know one.

They also say do NOT go to school for a degree in something that you think will make you an imagineer. Do something you love so you can be the best (or one of the best) at it. They pride themselves in being diverse and having people with over 140 different disciplines. It isn't all artists and engineers like many people seem to think.

Off-site March 2004; Poly June 2007; Contemporary June 2008; Off-site March 2009; CP SA 2011 (AS Sports January 2011; Poly Club Level Feb 2011; Grand Flo May 2011; Boardwalk July 2011), Coronado January 2012 (proposal!); ASMovies November 2012
castlecouture2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-28-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
ibaw
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by castlecouture2011 View Post
They also say do NOT go to school for a degree in something that you think will make you an imagineer. Do something you love so you can be the best (or one of the best) at it. They pride themselves in being diverse and having people with over 140 different disciplines. It isn't all artists and engineers like many people seem to think.
This is very true. I believe too many people get hung up on the title or the company. If you want to get somewhere, do what you like / are good at and become the BEST possible. This includes taking internships and learning with the best in the particular field. Do not focus too heavily on the specific role or company, if you are the best Disney will want you!

**Disclaimer - I can't imagine working anywhere but Disney and am lucky enough to have worked for 4 of the 6 segments. Also do not underestimate the importance of a network as castlecouture2011 also mentioned it can quite often come down to who you know!**
Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
khancock
DIS Veteran

I'll throw out there that the Season Pass Podcast has lots of interviews with former/current Imagineers and they all have a very different stories on how they got into WED/WDI.

The recent show featuring an interview with Tony Baxter is fantastic.
khancock is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: