Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #1051
Princess Merida
Earning My Ears

New to the boards. Congrats to the winners!!! Kirby, the Polynesian is AMAZING! Never stayed there, but had a few meals there and explored it on my last trip. It's my dream resort.
Old 01-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #1052
audrey2580
DIS Veteran

Oh forgot to ask or maybe I skipped reading it - Kirby what time did Ventura call?
audrey2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #1053
ARIELvsURSULA
Earning My Ears

Congrats fellow Oregonian, Kirby!! What part of OR are you from? I live in Salem I am so excited for you!! Maybe theyll pick TWO families from Oregon so I can win too
ARIELvsURSULA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:10 PM   #1054
vtownpatty
Mouseketeer

Congrats to the 2winners so far and good luck to the rest of us!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
vtownpatty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #1055
npealer
Mouseketeer

Congrats Kirby!!

DL/CA- Too many to remember
WDW-Jan 1997 Offsite, April 2003 offsite, November 2005 offsite, Jan 2013 AS Music

npealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #1056
RocketCityMama
Mouseketeer

Congrats Kirby! What an awesome way to have a 1st trip to WDW!!!
1996 ~2nd Trip ~Shades of Green
Dec 27-29, 2008 ~3rd Trip (DD1 & 2 & DH 1st trip)Coronado Springs
May 22-29, 2009 ~4th Trip Coronado Springs
*~*~*~*Planning next trip soon*~*~*~*
&
RocketCityMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #1057
makeawish89
Earning My Ears

Yay Kirby! That's exciting!

1986(July)- Disney World- DH first trip with his family he remembers loving space mountain but the rest was a nightmare he says!
1989(late spring)- Disney Land and Disney World- First Trip age 3 thanks to Make A Wish Foundation (first three years of my life spent battling cancer)
1994(Spring)- Disney World- Whole family went. We stayed in the WL Cabins
1998(June)- Disney World- Went with our church youth group at one of the value resorts.
2000(Aug)- Disney World- Went with girl scout troop and camped in tents at camp grounds in WL area. First time in AK.
2009 (NOV-Dec)- Disney World- HD's second ever trip. I showed him what a REAL Disney trip is like and he's in love! All Star Sports
2010(Nov-Dec)- Disney World- Our honeymoon! All Star Music
makeawish89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #1058
jcemom
Official Tag Fairy Assistant
I like it here and I want to stay! :)
think of all that money I could have put towards Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyx5 View Post
Okay dis-ladies and men!! I joined these boards this week to get helpful hints and tips for our upcoming trip that we won!!!! My husband was chosed for the Jan 5th drawing!! We have never been to WDW before and are super excited to take our 3 boys!! Any hints from past winners would be greatly appreciated!
Congratulations!

The Polynesian would be my pick also. It's in such a great location, and watching Magic Kingdom fireworks from the beach at night is wonderful. As for January/February...we used to go at that time every year. Crowds are relatively low as long as you avoid: Martin Luther King weekend, President's Day week, and marathon weekends. There are a lot of South American tour groups there at that time of year, but they're not too bad as long as you don't get in a line behind them and as long as their enthusiasm doesn't bother you.

The main reason we stopped going then is weather. It's SO unpredictable. It can be hot or cold, or both in the same week. We've visited a water park and needed coats in the same trip. Also, I worried on this end about snow/ice keeping us from getting to the airport. I also worry about cold/flu season.

Of course, there are pros and cons to every single time of the year that you could possibly choose lol. Overall, I like early-mid February (low crowds, usually nice weather but unpredictable, tour groups), mid-September (very low crowds, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party, face-of-the-sun hot), and late October (awesome weather, Halloween Party, medium crowds) best. Early-mid December is nice for holiday decorations, but becoming more crowded each year, I think. Weather can be iffy too.

* 9/2015 Fantasy & ??? * 12/2014 BWV * 9/2013 AKV & Dream & POR * 9/2012 BWV & AKV * 2/2011 CBR * 1/2010 Pop * 9/2009 AKV * 1/2009 BCV * 9/2008 POFQ * 12/2007 OKW * 1/2007 Pop * 10/2006 Pop & OKW * 1/2006 BWV & AKL * 9/2005 Pop * 6/2005 POR * 2/2005 WL * 2/2004 AKL * 2/1989 offsite * 6/1978 offsite *
jcemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #1059
kirbyx5
Mouseketeer

:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIELvsURSULA View Post
Congrats fellow Oregonian, Kirby!! What part of OR are you from? I live in Salem I am so excited for you!! Maybe theyll pick TWO families from Oregon so I can win too
I live in The Dalles! And no one here knows yet so shhhhhh dont tell my secret!! Some one else asked but my boys are 12, 9, & 7. When we go they will be 13, 10 and 8!! Now I am leaning towards October lol Any tips for October travel??
kirbyx5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #1060
theworldneedscolor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARIELvsURSULA View Post
I'm also from Oregon! I live in Corvallis. Wouldn't it be great if they picked three families from Oregon?

theworldneedscolor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #1061
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I live in The Dalles! And no one here knows yet so shhhhhh dont tell my secret!! Some one else asked but my boys are 12, 9, & 7. When we go they will be 13, 10 and 8!! Now I am leaning towards October lol Any tips for October travel??
October is great! Crowds are still pretty low, and you have the Food & Wine Festival and Halloween events to enjoy! I love Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (which you would have to pay extra for) and the fall decorations in the Magic Kingdom
June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV * January 2015 - AKV * August 2015 - ? * October/November 2015 - Port Orleans

August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

New for 2015: One PTR, three VERY different trips - one extremely excited Disney loving girl!

Follow me on Twitter! @GertieTheDino89
arbolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM   #1062
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Congrats to our new winner! Have fun planning! The DIS is a great place for advice and suggestions.

I was just over at sweeps advantage and there are two people there getting Disney trips --NOT this contest, but hey, a trip is a trip. One won through ESPN, I never saw it in the Disney listings and when I finally found it I found out why -- the word Disney was never in the write-up. Epcot was, so maybe I will start expanding my search to park names, .

The other person won $20,000 in an H&R Block FB contest and said they are using some of the money for a Disney trip.
pwdebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #1063
MissManda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks Everyone!! We are super excited! We live in Oregon so we are really happy to be going to Florida. I have been looking at the resorts and think the poly. What do you all think?? We have 3 boys and right now they are 12, 9, and 8. I want to push the trip out far enough so we could (maybe??) add a few days. I am nervous about the cost (big surprise) but not worried enough to not take the trip lol!! If they let us pick the dates I will do Jan or Feb 2014. Any thoughts/hints/tips/must dos I would love!!
Congrats on your win

You might could also look into the Beach or Yacht Club resorts. They share the storm along bay pool and your boys might really like that. The resorts are also very close to Epcot and DHS. You pretty much can't go wrong with any resort that you chose. Have fun planning!!!

1st Trip- May 2009- CBR
2nd Trip- Sept 2010- POFQ- MNSSHP
3rd Trip-June 2012- Offsite condo.
4th Trip- possibly a solo??? TBD
MissManda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #1064
disneynan
Mouseketeer

Congrats Kirby!! What a great win for you!!

The Poly would be our first choice as well. Don't miss dinner at O'Hana - it is fantastic!
We have been in Sept, Oct, Nov and Feb. I would absolutely recommend fall rather than winter due to more reliable weather, Epcot Food and Wine Festival and Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. As you can see from my sig pic, we attended the party and dressed accordingly. We would go again in a heartbeat, but I now work in a school and cannot get the time off. I am grateful we had the opportunity to go before this current job!

I am going to try to send you a PM with some other trip planning resources that we find helpful.

4/78 camping off-site; 6/89 honeymoon Big Red Boat + Hilton; 5/95 ASMu; 11/99 ASMo + CB; 2/03 ASMo; 11/03 POR + Wilderness Cabins; 9/04 POP(no kids); 8/05 POP (free dining); 10/06 POP (free dining + MNSSHP); 8/08 camping at Ft Wilderness; 11/09 3 night Wonder (no kids); 8/11 POP (free dining); NASN conference 6/13
disneynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #1065
swebb0310
Mouseketeer

Congrats Kirby!! That's amazing! I would love to go when it s decorated for holidays like Halloween, or Christmas!
My neice and nephew loved animal kingdom lodge! I stayed at Wilderness Lodge last time and thought it was amazing!
One thing that is a must do for a first trip is to be at the Magic Kingdom early enough for the opening ceremony/rope drop. So magical!!
Enjoy the planning!
It's my 30th birthday in March, so I decided I want to have 30 magical Disney Momnts in my 30th year! I know I'm already planning in my head how some of those will be spent "when" I win!,
swebb0310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: