Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2013, 11:34 PM   #901
monkyby87
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbellmagic View Post
For WDW, you can always choose a deluxe resort for the sweepstakes part of the stay and then if you stay extra days, you can move to a value resort for the extended days that you would be paying for. They would just adjust your flights for the extended days.
That is an option, but it wouldn't really change the tax issues of staying at a Deluxe for the sweepstakes duration, which is the problem. If taxes are a worry though this may not be the contest to enter I'm sorry to say, as either way there will be taxes, and they could be hefty regardless of the hotel I still wish everyone the best though in the contest and hope for some DIS winners!

WDW - 2011
WDW - 2012
monkyby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:55 AM   #902
camsmama
"One More Disney Day" Sweepstakes winner 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzer Torte View Post
Oh I assumed the way you were talking you had. Why stress about it if it hasn't happened?
Seriously, why are you so worried about paying taxes on a trip that you haven't even won? If it's stressing you out so bad, maybe you should stop entering so you wouldn't have to worry about it so much. Just a thought...

WDW - Too many times to count since we live so close
DL - OMDD Trip Grand Californian - August 2012 (first time to DL & California)
camsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #903
Aimster08
Earning My Ears

Reading all this info about taxes makes me feel like I'm the only one who gets a tax refund... If we won which I would love, we just wouldn't get as much back.
Aimster08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #904
mieshie75
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynzer Torte

Oh I assumed the way you were talking you had. Why stress about it if it hasn't happened?
Are the taxes really that high 25 percent

I love a warm pig belly for my feet.
mieshie75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #905
juliehoey
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow...OMDD WINNER!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkyby87 View Post
That is an option, but it wouldn't really change the tax issues of staying at a Deluxe for the sweepstakes duration, which is the problem. If taxes are a worry though this may not be the contest to enter I'm sorry to say, as either way there will be taxes, and they could be hefty regardless of the hotel I still wish everyone the best though in the contest and hope for some DIS winners!
The room was not the highest of the cost either. When I printed my reservation for the accountant the room rate at WL was only $90 a night. That's $360 for room on my stay. Now 5 day Park Hoppers, hmmm yea that probably soaked up a good $,1200 or more considering all 4 tickets were issued as ADULT. Plus our $1,500 gift cards and you have to consider airfare. Our airfare was $1,400-- I was able to print the reservation from USAir. I think the hotel choice is the least of all the costs to be concerned about
Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #906
disneynan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieshie75 View Post
The tax rate varies depending on your income bracket. The value of the prize will be added to your yearly income and taxed accordingly. Most people here have figured that it would be roughly 30%.

That being said, I would happily plan a Disney trip for a 70% savings - haven't seen any PIN codes that good.

4/78 camping off-site; 6/89 honeymoon Big Red Boat + Hilton; 5/95 ASMu; 11/99 ASMo + CB; 2/03 ASMo; 11/03 POR + Wilderness Cabins; 9/04 POP(no kids); 8/05 POP (free dining); 10/06 POP (free dining + MNSSHP); 8/08 camping at Ft Wilderness; 11/09 3 night Wonder (no kids); 8/11 POP (free dining); NASN conference 6/13
disneynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #907
disneynan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliehoey View Post
The room was not the highest of the cost either. When I printed my reservation for the accountant the room rate at WL was only $90 a night. That's $360 for room on my stay. Now 5 day Park Hoppers, hmmm yea that probably soaked up a good $,1200 or more considering all 4 tickets were issued as ADULT. Plus our $1,500 gift cards and you have to consider airfare. Our airfare was $1,400-- I was able to print the reservation from USAir. I think the hotel choice is the least of all the costs to be concerned about
I agree. DH and I started to plan out a trip for 2012 and ended up saying "No way". Would have been $3K just for airfare and park tickets for our family of 5 now that our youngest is 12. Probably won't ever go back with all our kids unless we either win a trip or the lottery.

4/78 camping off-site; 6/89 honeymoon Big Red Boat + Hilton; 5/95 ASMu; 11/99 ASMo + CB; 2/03 ASMo; 11/03 POR + Wilderness Cabins; 9/04 POP(no kids); 8/05 POP (free dining); 10/06 POP (free dining + MNSSHP); 8/08 camping at Ft Wilderness; 11/09 3 night Wonder (no kids); 8/11 POP (free dining); NASN conference 6/13
disneynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:51 AM   #908
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by camsmama View Post
Seriously, why are you so worried about paying taxes on a trip that you haven't even won? If it's stressing you out so bad, maybe you should stop entering so you wouldn't have to worry about it so much. Just a thought...
I think it's the fantasyland of "what if" that most of us are living in...most of us posted where we'd want to stay if we won and people are already torn between WDW and DL It's things to thing about just in case we are one of the winners. It doesn't hurt to try to figure it out now.

As I posted before, I really don't think the tax thing is a huge issue if you plan. It's counted as earned income for the year you take the trip and you don't report it until the next year anyway so you have time to save. If you need more time to save then take the trip in 2014. I think the rules say you have until February 2014. Then you won't pay taxes until 2015 when you report your earnings for 2014. That gives someone almost two years from the time they find out they win until they will owe the taxes. Plus a lot of people get refunds and if that's the case it'll help offset the taxes owed.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #909
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Oh, and here's a question I was wondering...if you were to take someone outside of your spouse and kids, would you ask them to pay part of the taxes? Since my DH and I don't have kids it would be either the two of us and another couple who have been wanting to do an adult trip to WDW with us or my parents. Since it's not really a free vacation with taxes and it's just highly discounted would you think it's right to ask the people you invite with you to pay a few hundred to help pay taxes, or is that rude?

Just a wwyd type question for the day! I know why worry about it if I haven't won but I was just thinking about it when reading all the tax posts and dreaming about where we'd go and who we'd bring if we won.
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 AM   #910
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimster08 View Post
Reading all this info about taxes makes me feel like I'm the only one who gets a tax refund... If we won which I would love, we just wouldn't get as much back.
Us too!
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #911
nooneshome
but us dis shutins-send help or APs

It is raining - AGAIN but luckily I am in my office dry and almost warm. I just turned on Fantasmic and entered myself, DW and DS in the contest. I am looking forward to winning and I guess I could stomach the idea of paying taxes on it for dear old St. Barry the Pious.

Good luck to all and to all a good day.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06 AM   #912
sarahkate60120
Earning My Ears

A strange question

I probably could answer this if I went thru all of the details and rules but instead I came here.

It is just me and my daughter in my family. My mother went with us to Disney last time, but my father is now in poor health and I can't see her leaving him for anything over a few days. For various medical reasons he can not fly so it is not an option for both of them to come along. Since there are only two and it would be difficult to find others to come along on our schedule, if we were to win could we take two trips?

One trip we would have to pay for the hotel part of the stay since that would have been used on the first trip, but in theory if only two of us go, there would be two more aifares and two more sets of tickets that could be used on another trip.
sarahkate60120 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:42 AM   #913
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mieshie75 View Post

Someone on here said it was 30%. Suppose I should just relax and see what happens. If I do win somehow I'll make it all work out.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #914
Gantu
Oh,,,,,blitznac!

Good Luck Today!

11/09 WL ~ 5/11 SSW POP ~ 8/12 Disneyland / DCA
5/31-6/9/13 AOA- YC - POR

Trip to come!!!! I really won a trip to Disney World!
Gantu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #915
Allieran3
Live in my magical Disney bubble with Grumpy and a teenager!!!

Still entering everyday, and still no call, email, or FedEx truck :/ lol.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: