Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #331
camsmama
"One More Disney Day" Sweepstakes winner 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady

Do you just tell them you'd like to extend? You don't need to extend through them?
You can tell them that you want to extend or you can do it yourself. If you fly, though, you have to tell them the dates that you want to fly. Our trip was 5 days/4nights, but we extended our stay in California a week so we just told them what day we wanted to fly home. They provided the plane tickets and we booked our extra nights, etc. on our own.

WDW - Too many times to count since we live so close
DL - OMDD Trip Grand Californian - August 2012 (first time to DL & California)
camsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #332
audrey2580
DIS Veteran

Regarding the "alternate winner". Sometimes people have to turn down prizes when they realize how much the taxes are. I won a European cruise, airfare the whole thing and it was valued at $25,000. Taxes ended up being about $7,000. Worth every penny, but not everyone is prepared for that. Also, I've read where people had to refuse large prizes because it changed their income and their kids would lose financial aid, etc.

This trip is valued at just under $6,000 so I always estimate my tax at 30% so $1800 would be so worth it!
audrey2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 AM   #333
ProudMommyof2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
Do you just tell them you'd like to extend? You don't need to extend through them?
They only need to know when you are leaving for the return flights. You can extend yourself or they will do it for you for a reduced price- I think it was about 30-40% off rack. Because it was cheaper to rent DVC points for us we took care of the add on.

1986 Disneyland, 1988 Disneyland, August 1991- WDW Offsite, May 1997- WDW Offsite, May 2007- Wilderness Lodge, May 2009- BCV & AKV, August 2011- Poly & AKV, April 2013- WBC- Universal & WDW, July 2013 Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort, April 2014- Yacht Club, July 2014 Disney's HHI Resort

ProudMommyof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:08 AM   #334
disneynan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristen72 View Post
Thanks for the info. I know absolutely nothing about the deluxe hotels. They are impossible for us to afford so I never researched them beyond just looking at the prices.
Same here, I just like to dream

4/78 camping off-site; 6/89 honeymoon Big Red Boat + Hilton; 5/95 ASMu; 11/99 ASMo + CB; 2/03 ASMo; 11/03 POR + Wilderness Cabins; 9/04 POP(no kids); 8/05 POP (free dining); 10/06 POP (free dining + MNSSHP); 8/08 camping at Ft Wilderness; 11/09 3 night Wonder (no kids); 8/11 POP (free dining); NASN conference 6/13
disneynan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:15 AM   #335
Karabee
DIS Veteran

Got 2 things from Disney in the mail yesterday and although I know notification of winning would arrive FedEx you can't help but quickly hope! One was thanking us for visiting last month and the other was a PIN offer for my BF. Nice but not quite a trip won!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 AM   #336
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karabee View Post
Got 2 things from Disney in the mail yesterday and although I know notification of winning would arrive FedEx you can't help but quickly hope! One was thanking us for visiting last month and the other was a PIN offer for my BF. Nice but not quite a trip won!
Heck, if I ever got a pin code, I'd probably feel like I had won the sweepstakes!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:38 AM   #337
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Now I am worrying about the taxes. Maybe I should knock it off and stop entering. I so wanted to go and take my grandchildren but if I can't afford the taxes then it is stupid for me to enter. Guess my dreams of going back to Disney World is squished. Oh well. It was fun dreaming.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:54 AM   #338
WEDWDW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchfans View Post
Now I am worrying about the taxes. Maybe I should knock it off and stop entering. I so wanted to go and take my grandchildren but if I can't afford the taxes then it is stupid for me to enter. Guess my dreams of going back to Disney World is squished. Oh well. It was fun dreaming.
Some sweeps include a cash addition to cover taxes-I wish Disney did that with their contests!

It is so easy to think of these trips as FREE when they really are not,BUT they are still a GREAT bargain-just not free.
WEDWDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #339
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEDWDW View Post
Some sweeps include a cash addition to cover taxes-I wish Disney did that with their contests!

It is so easy to think of these trips as FREE when they really are not,BUT they are still a GREAT bargain-just not free.
I was stupid enough to think the taxes would be in the hundreds not thousands. $1800 is just short of $2000. Can't handle that. I knew I would be responsible for taxes but I didn't think it would be that high.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #340
arbolita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I was stupid enough to think the taxes would be in the hundreds not thousands. $1800 is just short of $2000. Can't handle that. I knew I would be responsible for taxes but I didn't think it would be that high.
The overall cost of the trip may be lower than the estimated value, since that price is based on four people (possibly 4 adults) and those individuals picking a higher cost resort. I wouldn't let that prevent you from entering, and talking to them if you win about choosing the options that work best for you.
June 1990 - Offsite * June 2008 - Offsite- Got Engaged! * September 2009 - CSR - Disneymoon * October 2010 - POP/POR * June 2011 - CBR * December 2011 - Offsite - Farewell to Jaws * February 2012 - One More Disney Day-Video Trip Report - ASMu * January 2013 - SSR Old, New & Long Lost Friends, w/ a Side of Frump! * August 2013 - Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland! * May 2014 - BLT/AKV * January 2015 - AKV * August 2015 - ? * October/November 2015 - Port Orleans

[B]August Trip Report: Puns, a Fun Run and 1901 - Our first trip to Disneyland!

Follow me on Twitter! @GertieTheDino89
arbolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #341
loveshak22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well if you plan right it might be possible. Someone on here might know more than me but I'm guessing you have to pay the taxes the year you take the trip? You claim the trip on your tax form and it's calculated into your tax return you don't just write a check right then when you win.

So if you win this year and you take the trip in early 2014 (I think you have until February 2014 according to the rules?) then I would think that you would then claim it on your 2014 taxes that get prepared in 2015. So you'd have from the time you win - sometime this month if you get lucky - until mid-2015 when tax payemnts are due to the government until you owe the money. That's almost 24 months to save up the money. And do you ever get a tax refund? That refund would go towards any money you owe on your taxes. In this case what we're approximating to be about $1,800, give or take depending on your tax bracket and annual income, etc. If you normally end up with a $300 refund and that's expected the year you file the vacation then that could help offset the money you owe that year.

Even if you went this year you wouldn't have to pay taxes until mid-2014 when you get your taxes done for this year. Even if you went this year then you'd still have from winning this month until mid-2014 when your taxes get done to pay. That's still about 18 months so save up $100 a month and you'll be good!

I'm not an expert with taxes but I think this is how it would play out.

Last edited by loveshak22; 01-05-2013 at 11:17 AM. Reason: correction
loveshak22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #342
Scottiesmommy08
Mouseketeer

So, I skimmed through the rules on my tablet, and I'm confused on the hotel stay. Which hotels are you allowed to choose from, or is it chosen for you?

First trip, May 01', WL**August 08' offsite, Mike Ditka's resort**January 12' Honeymoon trip, CBR,**January 13' DD first magical trip + anniversary, POP**Looking forward to January 14' for a WONDER-ful first trip + anniversary on DCL
Scottiesmommy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #343
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbolita View Post
The overall cost of the trip may be lower than the estimated value, since that price is based on four people (possibly 4 adults) and those individuals picking a higher cost resort. I wouldn't let that prevent you from entering, and talking to them if you win about choosing the options that work best for you.
Thank you. Never thought about that. We never could afford the expensive resorts. We always stayed at All Star Movies. That is where I was I estimating my taxes from. I had planned on it being me, DD32, DD18 and my grandson who just turned 2 and my grand daughter who just turned 4 months.

I figured they wouldn't charge for my grand daughter since she is so tiny and young.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM   #344
triplejen
DIS Veteran

Stitchfans, if they let you select the hotel, perhaps you could choose a value or
moderate instead if a deluxe, which would
reduce the value of the prize and therefore your tax responsibility?

August 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
August 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter

February 2012 - Hard Rock Hotel (Universal only - shhhhh!)
August 2011 - Beach Club
March 2011 - All Star Sports (ESPN the Weekend)
December 2010 - Polynesian (MVMCP)
August 2010 - Caribbean Beach Resort / Beach Club
February 2010 - All Star Sports (ESPN the Weekend)
August 2009 - Port Orleans French Quarter
August 2008 - Coronado Springs Resort
triplejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #345
cristen72
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thank you. Never thought about that. We never could afford the expensive resorts. We always stayed at All Star Movies. That is where I was I estimating my taxes from. I had planned on it being me, DD32, DD18 and my grandson who just turned 2 and my grand daughter who just turned 4 months.

I figured they wouldn't charge for my grand daughter since she is so tiny and young.
This is our situation as well. Both of our trips were at value resorts. Even estimating $1800 in taxes is scary to me. That's more than we spent in September for 5 nights at AoA including park tickets.

We drove to WDW both years. I thought about driving again if we won instead of flying. If we don't use the flights that would bring the cost of the prize down, in turn reducing the taxes.

And I'm confused about the taxes a bit. (Forgive me, I've never won anything!) Do you actually have to PAY the taxes (like write a check to the goverment or have the tax amount deducted from your refund) or are you actually just adding the tax value to your total income for the year?

I realize you're going to pay a tax regardless but I'm just not quite clear on the "how" part.

September 2011 AS Movies 1st trip ever!!

September 2012 AoA 40th bday trip for me!

October 2016 Fingers crossed!
cristen72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: