Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
erin3
Earning My Ears

Questions about celebrating a Birthday on Disney Wonder

Hello everyone,

We are SO excited to be going on our very first Disney Cruise in THREE WEEKS!! My daughter will be celebrating her 7th birthday. I was hoping some of you more experienced cruisers could help me, because we want to make this extra special for her.

1. We ordered the celebrations birthday package so that our room is decorated.

2. I plan to order a speciality cake, but the options are odd (in my opinion). It looks like you can get a generic Mickey Mouse cake but with no message on it. Or, you can get a cake with a message but no Disney decorations. Has anyone ordered either of these cakes? Would you recommend them?

3. If we decide to order the speciality cake to our room, does anyone know what the Disney Wonder does in the dining room for a birthday? I've read various boards and it seems mixed. Some say they give Chocolate Mousse with a "Happy Birthday" message. Some say they give Chocolate Mousse with a "Congratulations" message. Some say they still do a mini cake with a "Happy Birthday" banner. Has anyone been on wonder recently to celebrate a birthday?

Thank you so much in advance!!!
Erin
erin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin3 View Post
Hello everyone,

We are SO excited to be going on our very first Disney Cruise in THREE WEEKS!! My daughter will be celebrating her 7th birthday. I was hoping some of you more experienced cruisers could help me, because we want to make this extra special for her.

1. We ordered the celebrations birthday package so that our room is decorated.

2. I plan to order a speciality cake, but the options are odd (in my opinion). It looks like you can get a generic Mickey Mouse cake but with no message on it. Or, you can get a cake with a message but no Disney decorations. Has anyone ordered either of these cakes? Would you recommend them?

3. If we decide to order the speciality cake to our room, does anyone know what the Disney Wonder does in the dining room for a birthday? I've read various boards and it seems mixed. Some say they give Chocolate Mousse with a "Happy Birthday" message. Some say they give Chocolate Mousse with a "Congratulations" message. Some say they still do a mini cake with a "Happy Birthday" banner. Has anyone been on wonder recently to celebrate a birthday?

Thank you so much in advance!!!
Erin
The celebration (birthday, anniversary, whatever) in the MDR is the same for all occasions: the servers sing some variation of Happy (Birthday, Anniversary, whatever) and the person celebrating gets a individual chocolate mousse with a white chocolate ribbon saying "Happy ......(whatever)". You also recieve a Birthday (or whatever) button.

Yes, you can order a cake, but why? I've read many reports that the cakes are basically pretty dry and you have to pay for them. There is lots of free cake onboard (including the Cake of the Day from room service).

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

They are supposed to bring you the mousse dessert with the Happy Birthday chocolate banner, but sometimes the server grabs the wrong one or whatever....so you could get "congrads" or even "Happy Anniversary." Not as crazy as it sounds, since in some languages a birthday is referred to as an anniversary.

Also, sometimes they have the "It's my Birthday" button, sometimes not...sometimes replaced with "I'm Celebrating," sometimes nothing.

The "standard cake" was done away with several years ago. The birthday dessert is the mousse. HOWEVER, there is cake all over the ship, including the "cake of the day" from room service. You can have pieces of cake sent to your room at no charge and/or get it at the buffet at lunch...and if you ask, the servers can get you pieces of cake at dinner--it just won't be a whole cake that you cut.

IMHO, the purchased cake is not worth the cost. I can get a much prettier, tastier cake at my local grocery store bakery department for a fraction of the price. But that's me and it isn't my kid's celebration.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

Hi,
My daughter had her 6th birthday on the Dream. We didn't buy the package but brought our own decorations from home like streamers and confetti. There is so much food aboard that honestly there is no where to put a cake. She had a small dessert instead. We let our server know right on the first day and on the day of her birthday our stateroom attendant made my daughter a towel birthday cake and had the room set up for her surprise.
We also got her a pin as soon as we boarded and every castmember that saw her said "Happy Birthday Princess." The crew also sang happy birthday to her at dinner and when we boarded the ship. (See my youtube channel) She also got special interactions with the Princesses. We had a pillowcase signed from all the gang waiting for her too. In the Club she got a hat on her special day.

http://youtu.be/kAIfch8dopU

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #5
mtfamfam
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The celebration (birthday, anniversary, whatever) in the MDR is the same for all occasions: the servers sing some variation of Happy (Birthday, Anniversary, whatever) and the person celebrating gets a individual chocolate mousse with a white chocolate ribbon saying "Happy ......(whatever)". You also recieve a Birthday (or whatever) button.

Yes, you can order a cake, but why? I've read many reports that the cakes are basically pretty dry and you have to pay for them. There is lots of free cake onboard (including the Cake of the Day from room service).

Thanks for posting this question and responses. We'll be taking our first Disney Cruise next week and I have been trying to figure out what kinds of bday celebration stuff there is for teens. My DS just turned 13 and I want to do a little celebration without embarassing him too much. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Thanks!
mtfamfam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birthday, cake, celebrations

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: