Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by clukas View Post
I agree 100%, DCL is quickly losing the magic. I just go off the December PC cruise and noticed a drop in quality and service. This was my 7th cruise and it has been falling consistently but has now gotten to a point that I do not see the reason for booking DCL without waiting for a great deal.

I noticed the ice bucket issue, a note at the end stating that anything missing from the room would be added to the onboard charges, lack of customer service, CM's who were not up to the usual DCL standards, lots of cost cutting measures that just seemed to bring down the level of service we expect from DCL.
.
YUP. We cancelled a spring cruise for no reason other than we just weren't excited about going. Never thought I'd say that about a Disney cruise. Rude CM at airport check in last time (Susan), overall reduction in service on the ship, lots of little cost cutting things, decrease in food quality.....just not up to previous standards.

If DCL is "just another cruise line," then we can save about 1/2 of a typical DCL cruise fare by choosing another line.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:42 AM   #17
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate


DIS Veteran
 
BibbidyBobbidyBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,612

ugh! I hope that's not the case on our upcoming Magic cruise.
our first cruise with fiance/his kids was on Fantasy last summer and while we still had a fabulous time... I found myself thinking (and sometimes saying) that I hate that this was their FIRST disney cruise experience. It wasn't quite the same as previous cruises in a variety of areas where CM service was lacking or attitude from CM's for no good reason and such. I shouldn't have to spend the cruise telling newbies in my party the entire time that this isn't the norm, this isn't how it usually is. I was hoping it was just a newer bigger ship though.
If Magic is like that- then yes.. we probably will stop cruising DCL much as it pains me to say that. We were paying extra for the extra that DCL offered (namely the awesome customer service/friendliness/etc.), if that's gone.... then why pay extra for what we can get from another cruiseline? As it is... we're cruising because it's out of Galveston and I'm not sure if at this point right now we would have booked another cruise that included flights for all of us to Florida or whatnot. If this cruise is up to par, then we will incur the flight costs in the future -but we'll see.
__________________
1997 Disneyland- solo business trip while pregnant!
2002 Offsite WDW family trip (Christmas/NewYear)
2003 ASMU solo trip (Jan), Offsite solo trip (Halloween), ASSP family trip (Thanksgiving)
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #18
Floridagram
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 846

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
YUP. We cancelled a spring cruise for no reason other than we just weren't excited about going. Never thought I'd say that about a Disney cruise. Rude CM at airport check in last time (Susan), overall reduction in service on the ship, lots of little cost cutting things, decrease in food quality.....just not up to previous standards.

If DCL is "just another cruise line," then we can save about 1/2 of a typical DCL cruise fare by choosing another line.
WOW, I hope someone who cares from DCL is reading this post. I never thought I would hear you say that. I guess as long as they keep getting a lot of first timers that don't know any better they will be fine. But it a lot of frequent cruisers quit going eventually it wll catch up with them.

On a side note, my opinion is that because there are so many ships now (on all lines) and they are so big that they need so much more help that has caused a lot of the lack of service. I think in the past they could have been more selective on who they hired, but now they may have to take who ever they can get to fill the slots. That, couple with they give them too many tables to wait on or too many staterooms to clean.
__________________
Carnival Holiday-1992,NCL Norway-1996,Carnival Ecstasy-1998,Carnival Tropicale-1999,RCCL Voyager of the Seas-2001,RCCL Mariner of the Seas- 2004,HAL Zuiderdam-2004,HAL Westerdam-February 2007,Disney Magic-April 2007.Carnival Liberty-May 2008,DCL Fantasy- May 2012, CCL Freedom-Aug 2012, DCL Fantasy April 2013,NCL Jewel-Aug 2014, DCL Wonder Sept. 2014, CCL Liberty Oct 2014
Floridagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
Sflanigan1110
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pleasant Plains, IL
Posts: 15

I lucked out on finding a less expensive cruise. The day I paid my final amount (which luckily was a week before I deadline) I decided to look online just to see what the current pricing was for our cruise. To my surprise, it was over $1,000 cheaper for our family of five on a four night cruise. I emailed my TA and was able to get the current pricing and got the difference refunded. However, if that had been after my final payment was due I would have had to pay the penalty (which I believe in this case was about $800, so it still would have been worth it to a certain degree).

As pleased as I was that I was able to get my refund, the more I thought about it after reading posts on here the more irritated I have become with the fact that had I not looked I would have never known they were cheaper. After reading everyone else's comments about how their TA is supposed to keep an eye out for cheaper fares makes me irritated that I had to find it.

But when it's all said and done, I saved $1,000 and am still getting a $100 OBC AND am going on a Disney Cruise... LIFE IS OK!!!
Sflanigan1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridagram View Post
WOW, I hope someone who cares from DCL is reading this post. I never thought I would hear you say that. I guess as long as they keep getting a lot of first timers that don't know any better they will be fine. But it a lot of frequent cruisers quit going eventually it wll catch up with them.

On a side note, my opinion is that because there are so many ships now (on all lines) and they are so big that they need so much more help that has caused a lot of the lack of service. I think in the past they could have been more selective on who they hired, but now they may have to take who ever they can get to fill the slots. That, couple with they give them too many tables to wait on or too many staterooms to clean.
I never thought I'd say it. There have just been an increasing number of little things that have been less than wonderful on our last cruise. I know that sounds silly, but it just kinda hit a point where we looked at each other and all came to the same conclusion--we just weren't excited about the cruise. I can't point to one particular "because of this" thing, but there are a bunch of little things that I just find sad--they got rid of my favorite menu item, they don't carry Splenda on the ship so I have to bring my own (don't tell me about NutraSweet yellow; it is nasty), the decreasing service aspects (yes, there are exceptions). It's not that they CAN'T do it because last summer we cruised a different line for a hair over 1/2 the cost of the same cruise on DCL and found better food, etc. The service on the other line was different...I won't call it better or worse because it wasn't. It was just a different system.

We're not canceling DCL to cruise another line at this point....we just weren't feeling the "I can't wait to get back to the ship" emotion that we were used to. So we are just not doing it. We do have future cruises booked on DCL.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

We cancelled a spring cruise for no reason other than we just weren't excited about going. Never thought I'd say that about a Disney cruise. Rude CM at airport check in last time (Susan), overall reduction in service on the ship, lots of little cost cutting things, decrease in food quality.....just not up to previous standards. . .
We canceled two Disney cruises due to the decline in service as they launched the new ships. We sailed on the Fantasy last month. While service is improving, it is not yet at the level we have grown accustomed to.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes
 
justhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 7,429

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
YUP. We cancelled a spring cruise for no reason other than we just weren't excited about going. Never thought I'd say that about a Disney cruise. Rude CM at airport check in last time (Susan), overall reduction in service on the ship, lots of little cost cutting things, decrease in food quality.....just not up to previous standards.

If DCL is "just another cruise line," then we can save about 1/2 of a typical DCL cruise fare by choosing another line.

I just sent DCL an email expressing this sentiment yesterday. We're platinum cruisers, nearly always in concierge, but I kinda feel like now, why are we spending this kind of money on DCL when we can do so many other cruise lines that we have liked in the past? We're booked on B2B 7 night and 12 night Med cruises in June and when I look for excursions (for the cities that are listed), all the of the ones for "kids", "youth" or "families" exclude kids under age 5. What is that about?! It is Disney! We sail them specifically because we have young kids and feel that they do a better job of incorporating and entertaining them. But now we can't do the excursions that would be most appropriate for their ages because they're too young? That makes no sense whatsoever. My 3yo is way better suited to watch a children's puppet show in Italy than touring the Vatican all day. Yet I can't book the puppet show because she is too young. I am sure the people on our excursions would be way happier if my 3yo weren't dragged along with us all, whereas the people on the "for kids" excursions will be expecting tons of small kids and have little noise makers of their own.
__________________
justhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #23
neg58
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,664

I noticed the ice bucket issue, a note at the end stating that anything missing from the room would be added to the onboard charges, lack of customer service, CM's who were not up to the usual DCL standards, lots of cost cutting measures that just seemed to bring down the level of service we expect from DCL.

___

I'm just off the Wonder, and received that little cardboard note about 'anything missing would be charged to the room' note, and I was NOT happy. I asked our tablemates if they'd received it and they didn't remember. I couldn't tell if my hostess thought there was something missing because this just showed up on the second to last night. I think it would be more appropriate to have you sign this at check in, or just generally leave a notice on the desk. The fact that it was a separate notice on the bed really irritated me, sort of a 'we're watching you' notice.

The other thing I didn't like was the spa. We happened to win $100 the first day so I decided to do the Rainforest for the week. The told me several times they didn't know if daily passes would be offered, and I think that was a lie just to get me to sign up for the week. It was $144 for the week, which I never would have done if we hadn't won the credit. I had to laugh when they asked if I wanted the 'enhanced' plan which included extra salt/sugar rubs and a private room for your partner to rub them in - I was a single, why would they have such an option on the single rate? I was supposed to go to a room, alone, and apply my own treatments? I then made appointments for nail/facials for my teens. They acted like they were doing me a favor by making the appointments when it was a service they offered! The girls gave them a tip directly, but they got no tip from me for the Rainforest. They didn't DO anything except point me in the direction of the room. No follow up, no making sure I was happy. No one checked to make sure people using the room had paid for it. Anyone from the locker room could have walked in. Several times the water station was empty. Several times the towels were depleated. Several times there were 8+ people in the room and you had to wait for the stone chairs. I just thought it was all a big up-sell and I wouldn't do it again.

I liked the cruise, but I became more educated about what to pay extra for and where the good bargains are.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:57 PM   #24
clukas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 213

sorry for starting such a ruckus. Although I now realize that I am not the only one that feels like Disney quality and service is declining. As KCashner said, it is not just one thing........it is the overall experience. It is just not the same.

The "if you stole anything...." card pissed me off also. I don't need or want towels or anything else in the cabin. Please treat me like an honest customer.

I feel like it used to be the Ritz or Four Seasons. Now it is the Marriott or Hilton....good but not what it could be.
__________________
clukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:14 PM   #25
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by clukas View Post
sorry for starting such a ruckus. Although I now realize that I am not the only one that feels like Disney quality and service is declining. As KCashner said, it is not just one thing........it is the overall experience. It is just not the same.

The "if you stole anything...." card pissed me off also. I don't need or want towels or anything else in the cabin. Please treat me like an honest customer.

I feel like it used to be the Ritz or Four Seasons. Now it is the Marriott or Hilton....good but not what it could be.
I think what really gets me is not just the "not what it could be" but the "not what it USED TO BE."
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM   #26
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 9,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post

. . . I'm just off the Wonder, and received that little cardboard note about 'anything missing would be charged to the room' note, and I was NOT happy. I asked our tablemates if they'd received it and they didn't remember.
If the cardboard note goes missing, it will be charged to one's shipboard account.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:21 AM   #27
Castaway April
Mouseketeer
 
Castaway April's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Iowa
Posts: 166

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
If the cardboard note goes missing, it will be charged to one's shipboard account.

Woody
__________________
Dream February 2012, Dream October 2012, Dream January 2013, Fantasy Eastern October 2013, Dream December 2014

Magic Transatlantic 2015 Port Canaveral New York City St John's Reykjavik Oslo Copenhagen
Castaway April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #28
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate


DIS Veteran
 
BibbidyBobbidyBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,612

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I think what really gets me is not just the "not what it could be" but the "not what it USED TO BE."
I'm gonna cosign that -although it was only on Fantasy that we noticed a decline in service. Wonder had some issues with the room and such but they handled it well and we didn't have a BIT of attitude from any of the crew, it was a wonderful cruise.

I'm hoping Magic (the ship we've cruised the most) is still like it used to be. Or at least they BETTER have all our family at the same table or this time heads will roll. (and our party was 2 parents and 3 kids in two rooms linked, not talking extended family with more adults separate or anything like that) That was some bullcaca
__________________
1997 Disneyland- solo business trip while pregnant!
2002 Offsite WDW family trip (Christmas/NewYear)
2003 ASMU solo trip (Jan), Offsite solo trip (Halloween), ASSP family trip (Thanksgiving)
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #29
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

Yes, our most negative experience was on the Fantasy as well. Next scheduled cruise is Magical, so here's hoping.....

But many of our "friends" have been moved from the Magic. So we'll just have to see.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #30
MandyGirl
DIS Veteran
 
MandyGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,633

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I think what really gets me is not just the "not what it could be" but the "not what it USED TO BE."
That sounds like a similar thread around October 2011 - after our WBTA. I think the title was something like "Is the Magic losing it's Magic". I shared my two cents and had my head bit off on these boards. I learned then not to ever say anything less than Magical about Disney Cruises here on these boards. But long story short, others who had cruised DCL multiple times were sharing exactly what you have been observing. People are noticing. It was our first Disney cruise so I only had the other cruiselines to compare to.

That said... we will be cruising 30 nights in 2013. Three cruises - and only one is DCL. Can cruise more often on other lines going to the same ports we want to visit because they are less in cost.
MandyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.