Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
Jon G
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bournemouth UK
Posts: 85

Would you cancel and re book?

We have booked day 1 for the June 1st Med 7nt cruise and the paid in full date is less than 1 month away.

We paid $2300 for an 11B sideways cabin for 2 adults including on board booking discount. We also have $275 on board credit.

There is so much availability that I am guessing there will be some offers to fill the ship. You can guarantee that these will come out after we have paid in full.

I am considering cancelling and taking a chance. We already have booked and paid for the flights so we are going to Barcelona whatever happens.

Has anyone else done this or do you think the price is ok and I should stop looking.

Thanks for any thoughts

Jon.
Jon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
lanejudy
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,911
DISboards Moderator

I wouldn't cancel the current reservation with the HOPE of something better - you could end up worse off. You are correct that sometimes there are really good *IGT deals that come out after PIF - sometimes good enough to absorb the penalty and re-book. I'd do that if such a good deal were to come out. But I'm not big on gambling for a better deal and prefer the security of what I've already booked.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

You are not the only person thinking about this.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #4
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!
 
disneypoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa, Kansas
Posts: 2,714

We were in the same dilemma with our upcoming cruise. Our PIF date was Dec. 31st. Some of the offers they come out with can still be applied to your cruise without any penalties. I've called DCL three times to confirm this. For example, I'm fairly certain our cruise is going to end up having a Kids Sail Free promotion, and that is something we can have applied to our cruise even though we've paid in full without any penalties. So, it depends on what promotion you're looking for, but I'd call and ask before you cancel. Hope this helps.

Susan
__________________


09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM   #5
mkmommy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 2,576

I would not cancel, but move your current OBB to a future date, so that if no discount comes out you at least have the 10% discount you can use, to move your reservation back to.

your OBC will go from$275 to $200 though if you move your reservation.
__________________
Me, DH, DD 12 DD 10

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
NoodlesMom
Mouseketeer
 
NoodlesMom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Houston,TX
Posts: 430

I agree with pp. I wouldn't cancel. I actually did that for my upcoming cruise. I moved my ressie and when the *gt rates came out, my booking with the 10% discount plus obc was cheaper than the IGT rate. I simply moved my ressie back to my chosen date. Keep in mind though that my cruise price had not increased since day one pricing so I knew worst case, I would still be able to get my original price back.
__________________
Pop Century 7/2007- 1st Trip-- Disney Cruise on the Magic 2009--Pop Century 6/2010-- One Night Premium B-day trip ASsp/Dolphin 9/2010-- Saratoga Springs Resort 7/2011 -- Beach Club Villas/Disney Dream 9/2011!Disney Dream 02/13 Adults Only!11/13 Disney Dream/ Swan Thanksgiving Surf and Turf!
NoodlesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate


DIS Veteran
 
BibbidyBobbidyBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneypoor View Post
We were in the same dilemma with our upcoming cruise. Our PIF date was Dec. 31st. Some of the offers they come out with can still be applied to your cruise without any penalties. I've called DCL three times to confirm this. For example, I'm fairly certain our cruise is going to end up having a Kids Sail Free promotion, and that is something we can have applied to our cruise even though we've paid in full without any penalties. So, it depends on what promotion you're looking for, but I'd call and ask before you cancel. Hope this helps.

Susan
Kids sail free- you can?
I just today rebooked a cruise we already had booked (but wasn't PIF yet) and we were told we couldn't just apply it to the rooms we already booked. we had to cancel and rebook and take a chance on getting the same room we had booked already. Turned out that the one (with verandah) that we wanted to keep didn't sleep 4 so we had to switch rooms anyway but I wasn't told we could just apply the special to our current reservations.... ?
__________________
1997 Disneyland- solo business trip while pregnant!
2002 Offsite WDW family trip (Christmas/NewYear)
2003 ASMU solo trip (Jan), Offsite solo trip (Halloween), ASSP family trip (Thanksgiving)
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)

*PDFG*
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #8
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!
 
disneypoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa, Kansas
Posts: 2,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo View Post
Kids sail free- you can?
I just today rebooked a cruise we already had booked (but wasn't PIF yet) and we were told we couldn't just apply it to the rooms we already booked. we had to cancel and rebook and take a chance on getting the same room we had booked already. Turned out that the one (with verandah) that we wanted to keep didn't sleep 4 so we had to switch rooms anyway but I wasn't told we could just apply the special to our current reservations.... ?
Hi! The first CM I talked to told me we could do this "no problem". Then, I had to call for something else, so the second CM I talked to said there would be penalties but that I could do it. I asked if he was sure because I had been told there wouldn't be any penalties and that they could just adjust my reservation. He put me on hold to talk to a supervisor, came back, and told me I was correct. The third time I again called for something else but thought I'd ask again just because , and the CM also said I could keep my reservation, pay no penalties, and they would adjust the price of my reservation. Hope this helps and I hope they are right! If anyone else has firsthand experience with this, please let us know.

Susan
__________________


09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:45 AM   #9
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran
 
cruisecrasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,730

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo
Kids sail free- you can?
I just today rebooked a cruise we already had booked (but wasn't PIF yet) and we were told we couldn't just apply it to the rooms we already booked. we had to cancel and rebook and take a chance on getting the same room we had booked already. Turned out that the one (with verandah) that we wanted to keep didn't sleep 4 so we had to switch rooms anyway but I wasn't told we could just apply the special to our current reservations.... ?
KSF is technically "new bookings only." Sometimes you run into a helpful castmember who can make it happen. Sometimes not. It's more likely before PIF dates, though.
__________________
Lorelei (Lori); DH, Ben/KetchAggie; DS7, Chris (gluten); DD5, Kylee(dairy)
My Trip Reports can be found on my blog:
Adventures in the Great Wide Somewhere (My Blog on all things DCL, Food Allergy and Pixie Dust Related)
Upcoming Trips:


Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!
 
disneypoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ottawa, Kansas
Posts: 2,714

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
KSF is technically "new bookings only." Sometimes you run into a helpful castmember who can make it happen. Sometimes not. It's more likely before PIF dates, though.
I hope I get one of the three CM's I talked to then. Our cruise is not filling up at all, so even if we had to cancel and rebook, we'd be fine. However, I will be upset if there are penalties when I've been told there won't be. Actually, saving any money will make me happy, but since three people have told me there wouldn't be penalties even after PIF, I will be a little irked. Let's just hope they come out with KSF for my cruise VERY soon, so I can report back on this thread. If they're going to offer it, it should be sometime in the near future. I'll let everyone know what happens if they do. Thanks!

Susan
__________________


09/93 Honeymoon at WDW, 03/01 First time to WDW with kids,
06/02 WDW, 11/03 First trip to Disneyland, 05/05 BIG family trip
to WDW POR, 06/06 First cruise on the Wonder/WDW ASM,
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder, 03/12 One Week in Maui,
07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay

Upcoming Trips: 03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western, 07/13 Villas at Grand California
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 33,275

The issue of penalties depends on whether you are into the penalty period of not. If you are not in the penalty period and get a helpful CM, they'll make it happen. Technically they cancel and rebook, but they do it as an internal transaction. The less helpful will actually do the cancellation and hope no one takes the room in the next 2 minutes--that's a pain because you'd lose any reservations you made as well.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #12
mkmommy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 2,576

Has there been any IGT/OGT/VGT for 2013 cruises?

DCL seems to be on a KSF kick, which would not help the OP, as they are 2 adults. The Fall discounts is a new type of promo , so I think DCL is on a new marketing kick, who knows what will be the promo for slow selling summer cruises.
__________________
Me, DH, DD 12 DD 10

mkmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
luv that cruise
Someone give me instructions as if i were a first grader!
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 513

We have 3 rooms that we are letting go of before final payment. did the med a few years ago and spent a lot of time doing research on tours and what my family was interested in and not. My heart is just not into it so i can't see spending the $$$. I predict prices dropping as people drop their reservations. Disney is priced too high and it used to be service that kept me coming back. however the last few cruises had been a let down - the last in the Walt Disney Suite on the Magic. Just feeling that disney has lost the edge. very sad! We are diehard DCL fans with more than 20 cruises. It has changed from a magical vacation to a typical vacation. confirmation with a week in the walt - the worse service ever. They told me that disney doesn't use ice buckets anymore. yet our friends on deck 6-7 got twice a day ice service in the regular ice buckets. don't get me wrong - the room was great but service was lacking. didn't meet the stateroom hostess until day 2. requested ice - didn't get it. the fruit tray rotted and i has to take it to the trash on deck 9 (stench in the suite that housekeeping ignored) as the stateroom hostess didn't empty our trash even once. I could go on and on - but bottom line - No med for us this year.
__________________
Luv That Cruise
luv that cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate


DIS Veteran
 
BibbidyBobbidyBoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Texas
Posts: 10,610

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
The issue of penalties depends on whether you are into the penalty period of not. If you are not in the penalty period and get a helpful CM, they'll make it happen. Technically they cancel and rebook, but they do it as an internal transaction. The less helpful will actually do the cancellation and hope no one takes the room in the next 2 minutes--that's a pain because you'd lose any reservations you made as well.
The latter of which is what we would have done, had the room we already had booked and wanted to keep been able to sleep 4. Your last sentence is how it was described to us- that we'd have to cancel and try to get the same room again, but then I saw it only slept 3 and so that nixed that idea and we just rebooked (and moved our 2 rooms with OBB/OBC to dummy bookings again)
Maybe it's different if it's before PIF date or after. Not sure
__________________
1997 Disneyland- solo business trip while pregnant!
2002 Offsite WDW family trip (Christmas/NewYear)
2003 ASMU solo trip (Jan), Offsite solo trip (Halloween), ASSP family trip (Thanksgiving)
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)

*PDFG*
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #15
clukas
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 206

Sorry for the different topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv that cruise View Post
We have 3 rooms that we are letting go of before final payment. did the med a few years ago and spent a lot of time doing research on tours and what my family was interested in and not. My heart is just not into it so i can't see spending the $$$. I predict prices dropping as people drop their reservations. Disney is priced too high and it used to be service that kept me coming back. however the last few cruises had been a let down - the last in the Walt Disney Suite on the Magic. Just feeling that disney has lost the edge. very sad! We are diehard DCL fans with more than 20 cruises. It has changed from a magical vacation to a typical vacation. confirmation with a week in the walt - the worse service ever. They told me that disney doesn't use ice buckets anymore. yet our friends on deck 6-7 got twice a day ice service in the regular ice buckets. don't get me wrong - the room was great but service was lacking. didn't meet the stateroom hostess until day 2. requested ice - didn't get it. the fruit tray rotted and i has to take it to the trash on deck 9 (stench in the suite that housekeeping ignored) as the stateroom hostess didn't empty our trash even once. I could go on and on - but bottom line - No med for us this year.
I agree 100%, DCL is quickly losing the magic. I just go off the December PC cruise and noticed a drop in quality and service. This was my 7th cruise and it has been falling consistently but has now gotten to a point that I do not see the reason for booking DCL without waiting for a great deal.

I noticed the ice bucket issue, a note at the end stating that anything missing from the room would be added to the onboard charges, lack of customer service, CM's who were not up to the usual DCL standards, lots of cost cutting measures that just seemed to bring down the level of service we expect from DCL.

OK, I'm done. Sorry for going off topic.

As for the original post....decide how upsed you will be if there is a *GT rate that becomes available and you paid $xxx more than those who booked last minute. The other thing I noticed is that the last minute *GT rates seem to have a better chance of upgrade versus a pre-assigned cabin.
__________________
clukas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.