Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #1
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Buying alcohol, water pre-cruise at airport?

Good afternoon everyone!

I have searched these boards looking for the best solution to my particular problem and have found several good ideas, but...

Here is my specific problem: Flying into MCO night before cruise (8PM arrival), staying at airport Hyatt, and leaving via DCL Transportation in the morning. I want to take a 1/2 gallon of booze, 6 pack of Gatorade, 6 pack of water and 6 pack of Vernors on the cruise, but don't necessarily want to pay $50 to check another bag flying down. I would prefer to buy these items in Orlando after my flight.

So, here are my options:
A. Suck it up and buy it ahead of time, pay the $50 for checked bag.
B. Arrive airport, hire taxi to take me to local grocery store
C. Arrive airport, rent car for hour to go to grocery store myself.

I need help with B & C options! What is the closest grocery store that sells BOTH liquor and gatorade/soda products? And will it be open? And how much is the taxi fare there and back with 10 minutes in store?

Thanks folks!!

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

For the price of taxi/rental car/extra bag, could you shove a few Gatorades and/or Vernors in your existing checked bag(s) and just buy the liquor and water on the ship. Both are obviously a bit more expensive than at the local Wal-Mart or grocery store, but not awful (relatively speaking!)...and maybe no more than you'd pay at a corner jiffy mart.

I was involved in a thread recently regarding how to carry-on water and was told that the water that comes out of the fountain drink machines and also out of the stateroom sinks is treated with reverse osmosis (??) just like good bottled water is. In other words, you might could solve the water problem by having your own bottle and re-filling it and the Gatorade problem by taking some powder mix (hello, old school!). I'm like you -- i.e., having my own stash of whatever in the stateroom fridge is my preferred routine, but if it's going to cost you another $25 to $50 one way or another, there are alternatives. Good luck!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #3
DVCNuts
Platinum At Last!

How many in your travel party? It might make more sense for you to rent a car one-way and drop it off in PC. We have done this with AVIS several times and will do so in about a week. Rental was $50 one way, which is less than the cost of 2 DCL transfers. Then you can hit the ABC Store and a grocery store in Cocoa Beach between the port and the AVIS location. Free shuttle to PC. Just a thought.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
Weedy
DIS Veteran

ABC liquor stores will deliver to the airport Hyatt:
2322 S. Semoran Blvd.
Orlando, FL 32822-2706
2.84 Miles - 407-282-2699
Get Directions
http://www.abcfws.com/Pages/StoreLocatorResults.tp.aspx

Walgreens
http://www.walgreens.com/locator/Wal...ndo_32822_6391

Publix
4501 Hoffner Ave
Orlando
(407) 850-1018
http://www.publix.com/Home.do?gclid=...FQ4EnQod3koAOw

Walmart
3838 S Semoran Blvd
Orlando, FL 32822
Phone: (407) 277-4314
5.01 miles | Get Directions
http://www.walmart.com/storeLocator/...earch_state=FL
Weedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:37 PM   #5
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Option D....rent car and use it to both make a beverage stop and drive yourself to the cruise terminal. You can no longer check in for the cruise at MCO. This eliminates a lot of the advantages of using DCL transportation. If there are 2 of you, the cost of a rental car + gas and tolls will be less than the cost of DCL transfers (although a bit more hassle). You can even pay $25 for the DCL luggage service (up to 6 bags at that rate) and take yourself in a rental car.

You'll spend enough on a taxi to make that run not worth while. Where are yo cruising? Can you buy your goodies in port?
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:12 PM   #6
dorkeemn
Mouseketeer

As others have said - renting a car isn't going to save you much, if anything. (not just for an hour) - Cab might be an option - haven't done one personally.

Cost of renting a car for the week - $50 +
Cost of parking at terminal - $90 (cheap) - $110 (Prime)

Again - depends on how many in your party - buying booze / water at airport isn't a good option. Almost as expensive as on ship.

Odds are if there are more than 2 of you - the rental car will be cheaper than the DCL option. Plus you will have flexibility on leaving, coming back, etc... We've done that option twice now and it worked the best.

Do a google search for a Walgreen's on the way - make sure you're clear of the tolls -
dorkeemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
MichiganDVC
Can barely see my Kool-aid bath with these Rose-colored glasses on....

Thanks for the advice, everyone!!

It's just the two of us, so it's not cost effective to rent a car to drive to PC. (Spring break...)
I'm just wondering if there are stores close enough to the airport that wouldn't cost too much (more than $40). I know in Florida you usually cannot buy liquor in a traditional grocery store. Therefore I'm curious if all the Publix grocery stores have the attached liquor store with them or not??

1980 - Contemporary
1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1990- Poly
1991 - Yacht Club 1996 - Offsite 2000 - Poly 2003 - Offsite
2008, 2009 - Boardwalk Villas 2010 - Offsite, Boardwalk Villas
2011 - Beach Club, Boardwalk Villas, Bay Lake Tower 2012 - Boardwalk Villas, WL/Poly 2013 - Beach Club, AKL-Kidani, Bay Lake Tower
2014 - Boardwalk, Poly
MichiganDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #8
TyOwen
Earning My Ears

How much alcohol are you allowed to take on the ship? Does it have to be carried on or packed in suitcase

Thanks
TyOwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyOwen View Post
How much alcohol are you allowed to take on the ship? Does it have to be carried on or packed in suitcase

Thanks
You may bring onboard as many beverages of whatever type you wish. The only requirement is that DCL asks that you bring those beverages onboard in your carryon bags, not checked bags.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post

It's just the two of us, so it's not cost effective to rent a car to drive to PC. (Spring break...)
I'm just wondering if there are stores close enough to the airport that wouldn't cost too much (more than $40). I know in Florida you usually cannot buy liquor in a traditional grocery store. Therefore I'm curious if all the Publix grocery stores have the attached liquor store with them or not??
Really? We typically pay under $50 for a one way car rental including all taxes and fees. We've done it for as little as $30. Your DCL transfers will be $70 each way (and you can do them one way as well.) You can pick up the car at MCO and drop it off near the cruise terminal, then take the car agency's complimentary shuttle back to the port. Get discount codes at rentalcodes.com and/or mousesavers.com

With the one way rental, you pay for the car for a 24 hour period and have no parking fees. As above, there are liquor stores near the airport and you'll pass a Wal-mart on the way to the port. And the Publix is a few miles past the port. Sorry, don't know if Publix has liquor.

You can carry on any amount you wish, but it must be in your carry on luggage.

It will cost about $30 round trip to Publix from the cruise terminal by taxi + waiting time and tip. There are also shuttle services that operate in the area for about $4 per person each way as well as a "pay what you wish" service. I have no personal experience with that one though.

Last edited by kcashner; 01-03-2013 at 04:50 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganDVC View Post

Yes can buy beer and wine in a traditional grocery store in Florida. I listed a few stores above. The ABC is a big liquor store and nice.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyOwen View Post

Thanks
As much as you want, it has to be carried on. Suite case no larger than (dimensions can't exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep).

here is the link to Disney Cruise page:

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/fa...olicy-onboard/
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
over50visits
DIS Veteran

If you check the label on water you pay for, it is typically city water that has been purified. I understand it is the same purification system used on the ship.

I can't imagine paying for water. If the above is true, as I think it is, when you get on board they give you the choice of paying for water (they sell it as you board) or getting it free. Or you could pay for it at a store, or get it free on the ship. Duh...
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
Piglets Mommy
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

How about just picking up the alcohol at the Duty Free Store in the airport? It will be more than the liquor store, but less than the cab fare. Same for the gatorade, just get some at the airport as well. As for water, I'm with others, just use the soda fountain water onboard. Your other option is to pack some of the liquor/gatorade/water in your suitcase, and put some of your clothes in your carryon. Then swap it out when you get to the Hyatt.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Spurr002
Earning My Ears

The Publix in Cocoa Beach is about two miles or so down the road from the port, close to a straight shot. It's by the close hotels and the Dunkin Donuts. They did not sell liquor in the store; however, there WAS a Publix Liquor adjacent to the main grocery store.
Spurr002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: