Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Sea World / Discovery Cove
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
tink20
DIS Veteran

If you have been to DC.....help me please

First off, if we arrive at opening, should we be able to get chairs with an umbrella? and if we put our things there, will it be fine (no one will move our belongings, like they do sometimes at the pools or waterparks)

What do you bring with you? and can you put your valuables in a locker?

Lastly, my DS is not a strong swimmer......suggestions? will the vest be sufficient enough for him? Because I saw this on the DC website:

Location Length Shallowest Point Deepest Point
Wind-Away River 1,600 feet 3 feet 8 feet
Serenity Bay N/A 0-1 feet 4 feet
The Grand Reef N/A 0-1 feet 12 feet
Dolphin Lagoon N/A 0-1 feet 12 feet
Freshwater Oasis N/A 0-1 feet 7 feet

Deepest parts are 8ft, 7ft and 12 ft. Can you clearly tell where it is deep?

Also, stupid question? Do you where your swimsuit under the wetsuit? What kind of swimsuit do the guys wear? swim trunks would seem bulky under a wetsuit. Also, if we choose the vest, can guys wear a swim shirt? someone in another thread said the vest rubs against the guys chest and was uncomfortable.

thanks for any help

Last edited by tink20; 02-21-2013 at 08:07 PM.
tink20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
Yubbie
Devourer of Mickey's Premium Ice Cream Bars

As far as getting a chair with an umbrella, those go fast so if you are there early and near the front of the line you should be fine.

In terms of security of your stuff: Lockers are provided. All you will need with you throughout the day is your DC I.D. (which will be issued to you on a lanyard at arrival and you can have your credit card encoded on it as well) and the other items that DC will provide (towels, snorkel equipment, sunscreen) and maybe a waterproof camera. I wouldn't recommend ever leaving personal items laying around anywhere. But trust me, bring whatever you want to bring, but all you will need is what they provide. Prepare to be amazed by the whole experience.

DC provides life vests if you need them.

Yes, you can see where it gets deep most of the time. However, the depth of the "lazy river" changes throughout the ride. Regardless, I'd recommend a life vest for any weak swimmers. Also, DC has lifeguards EVERYWHERE.

Yes, you where regular swimwear under wetsuits. The less bulky the swimwear, the better. However, regular men's swimming trunks will work fine. Just takes a little adjusting as you squeeze into the wetsuit.

Yes, you can wear rash guards ("swim shirts"). They will also protect you from sunburn, which can happen fast in Florida.
Yubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
tink20
DIS Veteran

Thank you
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
NauroraJbelle
Earning My Ears

What time of year are you going? We went 2/3 and it was AWESOME We arrived at 7:30 and they are very efficient at signing you in and making the ID's. We did the dolphin swim early so after we ate breakfast we went and changed into the wetsuits. I usually wear a Land's End swim skirt with a tankini top so I purchased a reg bottom to wear under the wetsuit with my top. I am the weakest swimmer in out family and I felt very comfortable in the Dolphin area because we really just swam out to the deep area to get pulled in by the dolphin and most of the time you're standing in waist deep water.

In the "river" I used a noodle thing to help my floatation with the wetsuit. In the Grand reef I put a vest on when snorkeling which I would recommend for even strong swimmers so you can just float and relax while you are snorkeling so you can just relax and enjoy. That was our favorite area

We didn't really have anything out except towels which we just kept getting new ones anyway. We always had the masks and snorkels with us. We also had our own underwater camera (I would highly recommend this) which dh had all the time. I can't remember where he had it when we did the dolphin swim as you can't take it with you then. Maybe back to the locker. We were never sitting or lying except at lunch just always on the go. It was not sold out the day we were there as really off season.

It was the most amazing day and worth every penny. I can't wait to go back sometime

Have a great time. My daughters are 10 and loved it.

Jeanne
NauroraJbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
momtoaaliyah
Earning My Ears

I dont remember the benches with umbrellas being taken up last time I was there however I was so busy the entire day I didn't really sit much if at all.

I am also curious about the life jackets. My daughter can't swim at all - she will have just turned 9 when we go and weighs about 65lbs. Are DC life vests very boyant? How have others done with children that can't swim at DC? She did not come with us when we went last time.
momtoaaliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
tink20
DIS Veteran

We are hoping to go this June (first week)
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #7
NauroraJbelle
Earning My Ears

I found between the Wetsuits and the life jackets and the salt water I was extremely buoyant. Even in the river with just the wetsuit on I had a very hard time going under water just to take some pictures Your daughter will ;be fine. They have the life jackets for all sizes and wts.
NauroraJbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
luckycharliegirl
Mouseketeer

We grabbed a couple of lounge chairs with an umbrella. Within 30 minutes our stuff was moved by non English speaking visitors. Very rude since so many chairs were available!!
luckycharliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
tink20
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckycharliegirl View Post
We grabbed a couple of lounge chairs with an umbrella. Within 30 minutes our stuff was moved by non English speaking visitors. Very rude since so many chairs were available!!
Ugh, that's what I was thinking.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
snykymom
Still tagless after all these years

Can someone explain about the wetsuits? Are those so that you can swim when it's cold? Or do you have to wear them? Or only in certain places?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:29 PM   #11
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

The wetsuits are optional so you won't need then in June. You might want them though for the dolphin swim part because that water is cold! The other water is warm. We swam on December 25th with no wet suits apart from the dolphin part. I think at the hottest part of the day it was 65 degrees. We are British though.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snykymom View Post
Can someone explain about the wetsuits? Are those so that you can swim when it's cold? Or do you have to wear them? Or only in certain places?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
The wetsuits are optional so you won't need then in June. You might want them though for the dolphin swim part because that water is cold!
You will have the option of wearing either a wetsuit or a vest. You will need to wear one or the other when in the water.

If the weather is warm, the vest will be all you need and is MUCH less cumbersome (particularly when its time to use the loo .... getting in and out of those wetsuits can be a real pain).

Jan. 2009....onsite at POR: all 4 Disney Parks
Jan. 2012....offsite on I-Drive: Universal Studios, IOA, SeaWorld, & Discovery Cove
Aug. 2012...Westgate Lakes Resort & Spa: Aquatica, Discovery Cove, and more
Dec. 2012...onsite at SW! Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:23 PM   #13
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

All 3 of our kids are strong swimmers so I haven't had experience with kids who can't swim good. But I did find the real life jackets and I used one when it was time to go in the lazy river and the warm water Oasis because although I can swim I do not like being in deep water where I can't touch the bottom.

When we did the Dolphin swim you can choose a deep water swim or a shallow swim. 3 of my family members did the deep water swim and myself and my DS11 did the shallow water swim. The actual swim where the DOlphin pulls you through the water is no different you just don't have to swim out and tread water in the deep water. You are in chest high water in the shallow section.

We chose the shorty wetsuits (like shorts with short sleeves) just for added warmth because it was only about 70 degrees when we got there and we had an early Dolphin swim and I knew from reading the trip reports and FAQ on the DC website that the Dolphin lagoon is kept very cold. And that was true. It was so cold it takes your breath away.

But if you can believe it, the snorkel reef was even colder than that. It was so cold I couldn't stand to go in it past my shins. I let my husband and 3 kids go snorkeling and I just stood in the very shallow part and watched the baby Manta Rays swim by. (The very big Mantas were out in the deep water)

None of the kids had any type of life jackets on but they were able to snorkel for about 45 minutes with no problems.

We didn't grab any chairs when we went because we knew we wouldn't be sitting around at all. But by the time we were through with our DOlphin swim and headed to the lazy river all the chairs had ppl's towels on them already.

If you are going when it is hot then you can get by just fine with just using a vest instead of a wetsuit. I can't imagine wearing one of those wetsuits if it is 90 degrees outside. And they are a pain in the butt to get out of once you are wet or when you need to go to the bathroom.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
ETHANSMOMMA
Earning My Ears

we got there at opening and had no problems getting chairs. although we were rarely there. my son can swim but is very nervous about it and he had a BLAST! there are plenty of areas that are not as deep as others. they also have life jackets if they are more comfortable with that. enjoy yourselves, it was the MOST relaxing day of our entire vacation.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #15
Bearybear
A firm believer in the unbelievable

If you really want to reserve a place in the shade, the only way to guarantee it is to reserve a cabana. We put our stuff on chairs while we did the lazy river, and by the time we completed it, someone had moved it, onto the sand, no less!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: