Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: AOA Little Mermaid room vs POR Royal room
Art of Animation Little Mermaid room 7 26.92%
Port Orleans Riverside Royal room 19 73.08%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #1
Donald Duck888
Mouseketeer

POR Royal room vs AOA LM room

I had posted this question in a previous post but figured I would put it in the form of a poll.

I am taking my 6yr old daughter on our first Daddy/Daughter trip this May (wife doesn't want to go). My daughter loves LM but also loves other princesses (just not quite as much).

So now I have to decide between rack rate (no discount offered ) at AOA or a Royal room at POR with discount on both tix and room making the price almost the same as the AOA room.

just looking for opinions from those that may have stayed at either or both of the properties as I have not stayed at either before.

DIS Dad # 630
Donald Duck888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #2
Megsie1000
Mouseketeer

I would absolutely do the Royal Room. She will love it and a POR is really nice. I would almost always take a moderate over a value unless you're talking about a suite. And the LM rooms are really far away from the main building.
Megsie1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Kassidysdad
Mouseketeer

Hey NH Dis dad here too - We have a LM room booked for April 13 - I showed my 7 yr old DD "other" resorts.. "ANOPE, I wanna stay in the LM room" !! ..lol. So , no discount for us but hey... They are only little once. Maybe get her input ..unless it's a surprise
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #4
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Having stayed in a Royal Room, I would not go back. I did not care for POR at all, too big and it's not a fun resort in the way that AoA is. So I would definitely pick LM for sure. Everything about AOA is more fun and cute for a little kid, and while they say that the rooms are bigger I highly doubt it. It's SMALL!!!! Having stayed at Pop before, at least I knew going in the rooms were small, but so many people here were trying to convince me the rooms were bigger and I just didn't see it.
chimilady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at POR, that got my vote. There's much more to do at POR. You could have a daddy/daughter carriage ride, take a surrey bike ride around the resort, take a boat ride, ride the boat to DTD, or go fishing. POR is such a beautiful relaxing resort. It is such a nice break from the craziness of the parks. You can't go wrong with either, but those are the reasons I would chose POR.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #6
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megsie1000 View Post
I would absolutely do the Royal Room. She will love it and a POR is really nice. I would almost always take a moderate over a value unless you're talking about a suite. And the LM rooms are really far away from the main building.
So are the Royal Rooms from the main building.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimilady View Post
So are the Royal Rooms from the main building.
I don't think so. Just a short walk across the bridge. Probably 5 minutes from the farthest room.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
Donald Duck888
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hey NH Dis dad here too
Hello fellow NHerite.

Boy I would not think this would be such a tough decision.

Quote:
You could have a daddy/daughter carriage ride, take a surrey bike ride around the resort, take a boat ride, ride the boat to DTD, or go fishing. POR is such a beautiful relaxing resort
Good points all, thanks. Also I could sell the royal room a bit by having her go around the room picking out what was left by each princess.

On the flip side to do POR i will need to do a package which is non refundable i think vs room only which if something happens between now and May could be important.

Does anyone know if the bus service is better from either place? Is one more crazy busy than the other?

Quote:
it's not a fun resort in the way that AoA is
It seems that POR riverside might be a bit more "laid back" than AOA? At least from what I have been reading. Going in may i don't think either will be super busy? Not too many "groups" coming in during that month if i remember correctly.

DIS Dad # 630
Donald Duck888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
2BoysMom
Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think

My vote is POR, too. We stay there alot. You are going in May, which means FL heat, and the pool there is great. We love that resort.

PTR & TR-1st trip to Disney, 1st Christmas. Celebrating our new daughter!

Coronado Springs Jan. 2004, Contemporary & POFQ May 2005, POR & Disney cruise Aug. 2005, POFQ Sep. 2006, Ft. Wilderness cabin May 2007, Boardwalk-Christmas Dec 2007, POR March 2008, Ft. Wilderness cabin May 2008, Pop & Coronado Spgs - Halloween Oct. 2008, Offsite-Princess half-marathon March 2009, AsMov spontaneous 1 nighter April 2009, Disney Cruise May/June 2009, Offsite-business trip Jan 2010, Poly-Christmas 2010, Bonnet Creek May 2011, Bonnet Creek - Halloween Oct 2011, Wilderness Lodge 10 yr. Anniversary weekend Jan 2012, POR & Swan /Dolphin Oct 2012.
2BoysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I would also take POR in a heartbeat over a LM room. The value rooms are much smaller, only a single sink, double beds, looong walk to the food court and not much else other than noise and gaudy decoration (lets overstimulate the kids just a bit more, shall we?).

POR has a larger room, queen beds (beautifully decorated), double sinks, choice of food court or TS, lounge with live entertainement in the evenings, great pool with slide and playground, boat to DTD, fabulous landscaping and a much quieter and peaceful environment. For close to the price of a value room? No contest.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #11
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
I don't think so. Just a short walk across the bridge. Probably 5 minutes from the farthest room.
I clocked 8 in September when I was in the farthest rooms. I clocked 5 from LM rooms to the food court.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
chimilady
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
I would also take POR in a heartbeat over a LM room. The value rooms are much smaller, only a single sink, double beds, looong walk to the food court and not much else other than noise and gaudy decoration (lets overstimulate the kids just a bit more, shall we?).

POR has a larger room, queen beds (beautifully decorated), double sinks, choice of food court or TS, lounge with live entertainement in the evenings, great pool with slide and playground, boat to DTD, fabulous landscaping and a much quieter and peaceful environment. For close to the price of a value room? No contest.
I don't think there is a difference in space at all. Yes, there is an extra sink and that is nice, but it's not like the Royal rooms are spacious, because they're not. It's still tight, but yes, those POR fireworks beds do rock, but you're talking about 2 people, not 4. As for the landscaping, meh. I don't think it's impressive, I think it's way too spread out. And what may be peaceful for adults is boring to the kids. The only characters kids will see at POR is in the gift shop. And while yes the slide is cool, the Nemo and Cars pool at AOA is way more fun. My kids were BEGGING to stay at AOA next time. The food court at AOA is also way more spread out, where at POR it's all concentrated in one little L shape and easily gets congested at normal mealtimes. And yes there is a TS there, but the whole 9 days we were there barely anyone was there. The entertainment is in a tiny spot and not really geared towards kids. And the worst part of POR, the busses. They share with POFQ, make tons of stops, and is often full when you need to get on. (and there is no stop near the Royal Rooms) And except for MK, they're the furthest away. AOA busses always were lapping the POR/POFQ busses. And if the AOA bus is full, you can just hop on the Pop bus and walk over, which would be pretty darn close to the LM rooms at AOA.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:42 PM   #13
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think there is a difference in space at all.
LM room is 260 square feet. POR room is 314 square feet.

Quote:
And the worst part of POR, the busses. They share with POFQ, make tons of stops, and is often full when you need to get on.
They only share during slow periods during the day. After the AM rush and before the evening rush. It's great that AoA suits your family better, but I just wanted to be factual here.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #14
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
... lounge with live entertainement in the evenings...
How could I forget about Yeeha Bob!? Our DS loves him. Even though we have stayed at CBR our last 3 trips, we have to swing by POR and catch his show at least once.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:50 PM   #15
AubieGirl
Earning My Ears

We stayed in the royal rooms at POR last July and loved it. We had three girls (ages 3-10) and they loved it, especially the fireworks on the headboard. We as parents loved it because it was a nice break after the craziness of the parks. The walk from building 90 (the 2nd building with the royal rooms) to the food court only took about 5 minutes (if the 3yr old was walking). Plus, there were movies on the lawn of our building every night.

'81 & '87 1st & 2nd WDW Trip (offsite)
08/98 Honeymoon at WDW!! (offsite)
08/99 Anniversary Trip (offsite)
09/05 DD's 1st Trip (Caribbean Beach Resort)
09/06 DD2's 1st Trip (Caribbean Beach Resort)
04/08 10 year Wedding Anniversary Trip (Boardwalk)
05/08 Family Vacation (Caribbean Beach Resort)
AubieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: