Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

Christmas Exchange- am I being silly?

Our family did a Secret Santa gift exchange this year. The limit was $50.

I would first and foremost say, I love giving gifts. The most exciting part of Christmas to me is giving gifts. I also am not super greedy about receiving gifts. It is the thought that counts. For example, in the work gift exchange this year, I was given a USED kitchen gadget. New, it was worth our designated amount, but it was used. I like the gadget, and plan to keep it, but the idea that my co-worker put no thought into my gift and gave me something that was sitting around her kitchen bothers me.

Back to the family gift exchange. They had a Christmas list for me. For my Aunt, I bought a kitchen device worth $50, but I got it at a discounted price, so I bought a couple of little extra things too. I felt that was the right thing to do. Yes, I could have just bought the one thing, and it would have fulfilled the $50 expectation, but for me, it just means more to go above and beyond that.

When it came to my present, I received only one gift, which was fine. It was a Dvd. Full price, it is worth about $50, but it is never the full price. On Black Friday, it was $9.99. You can get it on Amazon for $30 regularly, sometimes less. At Best Buy, right now, it is $15. I feel a little jipped. I feel as if my cousin would have planned, he would have been able to get the DVD for much less than the $50, plus some other things on my list. Or, maybe he did not do the shopping until last minute and just walked into a store and bought it at full price. I am not saying he didn't spend the full $50.....he very well may have. I guess I am just hurt, because like I said, it's the thought that counts, and had it been me, I would have gotten the Dvd at the lowest price possible so that I could get other things for my recipient. Either he spent less than $50 or he just didn't even try to get the most out of his $50 that he could have.

Am I being silly or unreasonable?
Old 12-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
teller80
Mouseketeer

I don't think so at all, it's this happened to us too many times. I was happy when the families decided to just do away with exchanges.
teller80 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Yes, you are being both.

I sort of understand it because I am a "deal" shopper. And when I give gifts, if I have a set amount, I like to give the most bang for my buck. So, like you, I would have shopped for the DVD at the lowest price and probably gotten you something else. But, you did get a gift that, at full price, was valued at that. When you break it all down--it's not about the money spent or the need to spend up to that amount. He got you something you wanted and if he indeed paid full price, he played by the rules.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Maybe a little silly. Remember not everyone LOVES buying gifts. I know for me it is a downright hassle. Some people aren't bargain savvy shoppers and some are. Some people are only concerned about fulfilling their end of the bargain not going above and beyond. Everyone is different. I got a lame Christmas photo album. Ha! Like I print pictures out.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
JessB320
DIS Veteran

Yup both silly and unreasonable. You say it's the thought that counts, you got something you wanted, something off the list you made, but you still aren't happy. You wanted him to get you more. That sounds unreasonable in my book.
JessB320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I also would like to add to my above post because I don't want you to think you are truly "silly and unreasonable." Your feelings are valid.

Like you, I'm a pretty savvy shopper and I enjoy it. I get a lot for my money. Some people absolutely do not. It does bother me at gift giving time when my kids or parents buy me a gift and I *know* they've overpaid for it. They just run out and get things. I cringe a little inside and have come close to telling them not to shop for me because I just can't stand it. For instance, it bugs me if someone just goes out and pays for price for a book for me, when I know they could get it cheaper through Amazon. But, I've really tried to just sit back, shut up, and accept the gift gratefully without telling them how to shop better.

I realize you're not doing that, but you ARE thinking about what poor shoppers/gift givers they are. Just stop and enjoy the gift!

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:09 PM   #7
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

The greatest Christmas gift was not bought, and was priceless.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #8
Ceila
DIS Veteran

So, he got you something that you put on your list that, at full value, is exactly what the exchange price limit was, and you're still upset? OK, I'll go with silly and unreasonable.

Unless, of course, there was a stipulation that each shopper was required to hunt down the lowest prices between when they received their person's list and Christmas to ensure that they got the most items on the list that $50 could buy.

Last edited by Ceila; 12-30-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Ceila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

All the threads about gifts has made me SO glad I am not in any exchange of any sort.

Last edited by westjones; 12-30-2012 at 05:35 PM.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
sam_gordon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
The greatest Christmas gift was not bought, and was priceless.
How'd you know my youngest DD gave me a handmade ornament?

To the OP, yes, you're being unreasonable. I won't comment on the "silly".

Whatever happened to "it's the thought that counts"? Wasn't the MAXIMUM listed as $50? That doesn't mean someone has to or even should spend that. It's the top limit.
Bay Lake Towers, WDW June 1 - June 6, 2011
Polynesian, WDW Dec. 29, 2008 - Jan. 3, 2009
Wilderness Lodge, WDW, June 2005
Polynesian, WDW Sept. 7 - Sept. 14, 2001
Caribbean Beach, June 1993
sam_gordon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
daughtersrus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmackeymouse View Post

I would first and foremost say, I love giving gifts. The most exciting part of Christmas to me is giving gifts. I also am not super greedy about receiving gifts. It is the thought that counts. For example, in the work gift exchange this year, I was given a USED kitchen gadget. New, it was worth our designated amount, but it was used. I like the gadget, and plan to keep it, but the idea that my co-worker put no thought into my gift and gave me something that was sitting around her kitchen bothers me.

Back to the family gift exchange. They had a Christmas list for me. For my Aunt, I bought a kitchen device worth $50, but I got it at a discounted price, so I bought a couple of little extra things too. I felt that was the right thing to do. Yes, I could have just bought the one thing, and it would have fulfilled the $50 expectation, but for me, it just means more to go above and beyond that.

When it came to my present, I received only one gift, which was fine. It was a Dvd. Full price, it is worth about $50, but it is never the full price. On Black Friday, it was $9.99. You can get it on Amazon for $30 regularly, sometimes less. At Best Buy, right now, it is $15. I feel a little jipped. I feel as if my cousin would have planned, he would have been able to get the DVD for much less than the $50, plus some other things on my list. Or, maybe he did not do the shopping until last minute and just walked into a store and bought it at full price. I am not saying he didn't spend the full $50.....he very well may have. I guess I am just hurt, because like I said, it's the thought that counts, and had it been me, I would have gotten the Dvd at the lowest price possible so that I could get other things for my recipient. Either he spent less than $50 or he just didn't even try to get the most out of his $50 that he could have.

You could be like the family member that I posted about in another thread and ask for the original receipt.

As a bargain shopper myself, I understand where you're coming from. We also have a limit and I always try to get something at a great deal so that I can get more items on their list. Not everyone is that way. Maybe your cousin paid full price.
daughtersrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #12
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

To me an exchange with a $50 limit means a person shouldn't spend more than $50, not that they have to spend $50. (which IMO seems like an awfully high $ amount when considering not everyone has the same type of budget). Sorry OP, I vote for silly and unreasonable, you got a gift that was on your list. Being upset because you could have gotten more, well I cant say what I think that really is without racking up some points
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
dsny1mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmackeymouse View Post

If you are feeling jipped it's because your cousin is not as savvy of a shopper as you are. Tell your cousin there is something wrong with the CD (there is he paid more for it than you would have) and have him give you the receipt. Take it back and rebuy it at Best Buy for the $15 and then spend the remainder on other items that will make you feel less jipped.

If receiving a gift thats value is what it should be for the exchange but you watch prices so know it can be gotten for less bothers you, you might want to bow out of gift exchanges in the future.

dsny1mom
dsny1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #14
mmackeymouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessB320 View Post
Yup both silly and unreasonable. You say it's the thought that counts, you got something you wanted, something off the list you made, but you still aren't happy. You wanted him to get you more. That sounds unreasonable in my book.
I don't mean to seem ungrateful.

I guess, I just wish more effort was put into my present, that's all. If he would have went out and got me $25 worth of gifts, but each gift had a designated reason and purpose to it, I would be over the moon. Two years ago, he got my mom a sweatshirt that was not on her list, but he saw it and "thought of her." To me, that is just the best kind of gift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I also would like to add to my above post because I don't want you to think you are truly "silly and unreasonable." Your feelings are valid.

Like you, I'm a pretty savvy shopper and I enjoy it. I get a lot for my money. Some people absolutely do not. It does bother me at gift giving time when my kids or parents buy me a gift and I *know* they've overpaid for it. They just run out and get things. I cringe a little inside and have come close to telling them not to shop for me because I just can't stand it. For instance, it bugs me if someone just goes out and pays for price for a book for me, when I know they could get it cheaper through Amazon. But, I've really tried to just sit back, shut up, and accept the gift gratefully without telling them how to shop better.
The thing is, his parents are just like you and me when it comes to shopping. They go through ads on a weekly basis, if not more often. They scour the internet for deals. Everyone else in my family and everyone else in their family got lots of gifts during the exchange because everyone really tried. Everyone maximized their budget, and in some cases, probably exceeded their budget by a smidgen. (I went $3 over)

I am grateful for the present, I really am, but I still wonder if he spent less or just didn't start shopping till the day before. I am an awful person.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 PM   #15
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

I totally get where you're coming from, I love shopping for Christmas gifts (well, most of them). BUT the biggest thing that popped out at me while reading your post, is that the cousin who bought you the DVD is a "HE." Personally, I don't know one guy who is "into" buying gifts, at Christmas or any other time of the year. He probably paid $50 for the gift and thought, "that's another one off my list." It's a "men are from mars, women are from venus" kind of thing.

Don't be upset...just remember that in the future, if you get a bargain for a gift exchange, don't go out of your way to add more things to get closer to the agreed upon dollar figure.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: