Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #31
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 4
A Trial Road Trip

Click here to read more.
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-04-2014 at 05:01 PM.
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #32
Daisybelle
You don't have to go fast, you just have to go

Marvelous story telling! I can't wait until the next chapter!
Daisybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #33
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Poor simple Duffy, always a bit out of the loop...

Your pictures are so beautiful! Sounds like such a great mini roadtrip in Dumbo.
Awwh those dogs are all so cute and the puppies are ridiculously adorable!!

ugh a 45 minute wait for pizza is ridiculous! I guess they did mean the name literally?
Aussiesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:31 AM   #34
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Someday, I'm going to make it out to Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods. I just have to work out which trip!

How lovely to have that trip for your first road trip in the new car.

Thanks for sharing.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #35
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

I am moving over after reading your other trip reports. I'm also anxiously waiting for when you arrive in Anaheim. I want to hear more about those adventures.

Those 2 little puppies were adorable, I think I would have had to adopt one if they weren't already spoken for.

Wait a minute, your allergic to dogs but such an animal lover?? That stinks.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:07 AM   #36
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisybelle View Post
Marvelous story telling! I can't wait until the next chapter!
So glad you're enjoying! Hope you have fun reading about the rest of our adventures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Poor simple Duffy, always a bit out of the loop...

Your pictures are so beautiful! Sounds like such a great mini roadtrip in Dumbo.
Awwh those dogs are all so cute and the puppies are ridiculously adorable!!

ugh a 45 minute wait for pizza is ridiculous! I guess they did mean the name literally?
At least we never feel sorry for Duffy when he's too simple to understand something. He's always extremely happy about everything. He just smiles and waves. Blissful ignorance.

I really liked all of the dogs we got to meet (even the one who didn't like me). I want a dog. Stat.

And yes, the pizza experience was horrendous. I'm 99% sure they just forgot about our order because in the end I had to go up and figure out what was taking so long, and when I did they re-wrote it down and it was out in minutes. We just certainly weren't the only party waiting that long, which is why it took me so long to investigate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Someday, I'm going to make it out to Pike's Peak and Garden of the Gods. I just have to work out which trip!

How lovely to have that trip for your first road trip in the new car.

Thanks for sharing.
As you'll see, Garden of the Gods was a stop for us on this trip. I've never been up Pikes Peak, and would like to someday. We just couldn't fit everything into this one weekend, and the cog railway is pretty expensive.

I was glad we got to take the car out for this sample road trip. While not totally indicative of how we'd do on the cross-country drive, it was good to get some highway miles under our belts and get an idea of how it would be to spend long periods of time buckled into Dumbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
I am moving over after reading your other trip reports. I'm also anxiously waiting for when you arrive in Anaheim. I want to hear more about those adventures.

Those 2 little puppies were adorable, I think I would have had to adopt one if they weren't already spoken for.

Wait a minute, your allergic to dogs but such an animal lover?? That stinks.
Glad to have you here! There have certainly been plenty of adventures in Orange County already. Hopefully the payoff will be worth all the buildup (I have no idea myself if it will be since we're still writing the story every day!).

Yes, we definitely would have wanted to snatch up one (if not both) of the puppies if they weren't spoken for. And yes, I'm terribly allergic to both dogs and cats, but have grown up with them around all my life. I'm much worse around cats, and there were at least four of them at Tracy's aunt's house, so that was the cause of most of my allergies there. Luckily, I'm more of a dog person, and they cause fewer issues-- especially the smaller ones.
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
Old 01-30-2013, 02:15 AM   #37
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 5
Impressed/Not Impressed

Click here to read more.

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-04-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:19 AM   #38
PrincessInOz
in

Beautiful shots of Garden of the Gods.

I had no idea that the US Olympic squad training facilities were in Colorado. Something to add to my bucket list.

Bats! Does that make that house....the Bat Cave?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 01-30-2013, 11:24 AM   #39
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

I do think the one shot looks like a camel. Only thing wrong is I see no second camel for him to be making out with.

I liked hearing the cardio feats of the rifle team. I was captain of the Ohio State rifle team my junior year at school. My dad also tried out for the US team until he had us kids and couldn't devote the time to it anymore.
OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #40
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

Some more lovely photos I'd love to go to an Olympic training camp, not too sure where our one is though!! Oh and just to confirm in the UK the on/off ramps are indeed called slip roads!
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:19 AM   #41
Aussiesalad
Totes Mcgoats

Garden of the gods looks so beautiful!!! And what a great story behind it!

I also really appreciate the weirdness and awkwardness of camels.

Your poses out the front of the training centre are hilarious. You guys are too funny!

Gah McKayla is cracking me up. You should buy her that bambi shirt and send it to her people

UGH the bat story is awful!! I heard a horrible story today about some people who had their house flood really badly and when they went in to recover stuff the highest ceiling was pretty much covered with spiders, trying to stay dry from the flood water. YUCK.
Aussiesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #42
yupikgal
DIS Veteran

I love your story so far! Beautiful pics of CO, I've heard of Garden of the Gods, my niece has brought her family there, when they lived in CO Springs. I sure enjoyed visiting her last year and wish I could do it again this year, but alas...that's ok though because in June I will be in the Happiest Place on Earth once again! Yay!

Will monitor this thread carefully, waiting impatiently for next installment!

Kelly
DL, CA, DD Feb 23-26, 2012 Paradise Pier!!
Going back to DL & Southern California! 5/26-6/10, 2011
Anaheim/Disneyland/Las Vegas! May 21-June 3, 2010
Disneyland, California Adventure (Anaheim) San Diego August 8-12, 13-16, 2009
Disneyworld, D Wonder & Universal Studios: Oct. 2003
Polynesian Resort, Royal Pacific Resort
Disneyland: November 1999
Disneyworld: October 1994

yupikgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 AM   #43
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Beautiful shots of Garden of the Gods.

I had no idea that the US Olympic squad training facilities were in Colorado. Something to add to my bucket list.

Bats! Does that make that house....the Bat Cave?
Glad you liked the pictures! It was such a beautiful place to visit!

I honestly didn't really have any idea the training center was there either. I think at some point during the Olympics, the announcer said something about them training there, so we decided to stop in and see it in action! I bet the tour will be a little more exciting in a year or so. Since the Olympics had just ended, they'd started a bunch of construction on the complex and we weren't allowed into as many buildings as they sometimes let you go into.

You know, I never really thought about the Bat Cave. If they just bought a Batmobile to park out front, they could have made a fortune off tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post
I do think the one shot looks like a camel. Only thing wrong is I see no second camel for him to be making out with.

I liked hearing the cardio feats of the rifle team. I was captain of the Ohio State rifle team my junior year at school. My dad also tried out for the US team until he had us kids and couldn't devote the time to it anymore.
I did think of the fact that one camel without a mate didn't make too much sense unfortunately. I guess maybe I shouldn't pursue a career naming rock sculptures now...

That's cool that you and your family have such a riflery background! To think, your dad could have trained at that very center if things had gone a little differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbells mum View Post
Some more lovely photos I'd love to go to an Olympic training camp, not too sure where our one is though!! Oh and just to confirm in the UK the on/off ramps are indeed called slip roads!
It was a fun place to get to look around! I'm guessing that the main training center in the UK is probably in some part of the complex they just built up for the London Olympics, but I know there are a few different ones scattered around the US, so that may be the case there as well. I'm glad Daniel wasn't going too crazy with his "slip roads." It's the only term we've noticed that he says differently from the "American English" voice. We don't like her, though. Her name is Jill and she sounds like a robot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesalad View Post
Garden of the gods looks so beautiful!!! And what a great story behind it!

I also really appreciate the weirdness and awkwardness of camels.

Your poses out the front of the training centre are hilarious. You guys are too funny!

Gah McKayla is cracking me up. You should buy her that bambi shirt and send it to her people

UGH the bat story is awful!! I heard a horrible story today about some people who had their house flood really badly and when they went in to recover stuff the highest ceiling was pretty much covered with spiders, trying to stay dry from the flood water. YUCK.
We really enjoyed Garden of the Gods, camels and all! I don't know how I had managed never to go during all those years living in CO, but I'm glad we could make it part of our trip.

Glad you appreciate McKayla as much as we do! If only they still were making that shirt, it would have been funny to send it to her. I bet she wouldn't have been too impressed by it though...

I think that spider story might creep me out more than the bats. I think bats are cute at least, so while an infestation would be pretty terrible, I don't have much of a problem with a few bats. Spiders, on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yupikgal View Post
I love your story so far! Beautiful pics of CO, I've heard of Garden of the Gods, my niece has brought her family there, when they lived in CO Springs. I sure enjoyed visiting her last year and wish I could do it again this year, but alas...that's ok though because in June I will be in the Happiest Place on Earth once again! Yay!

Will monitor this thread carefully, waiting impatiently for next installment!

Kelly
I'm so glad you're enjoying reading along! Colorado is always such a great place to visit. I'll never tire of seeing all the sights. Obviously when we're choosing a place to spend our time, however, Disney just wins out. Hence the move! Hope you like hearing about the rest of our adventures

Old 02-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #44
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 6
Please Feed the Animals

Click here to read more.

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-04-2014 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #45
PrincessInOz
in

Gorgeous pictures of the animals. Nice that Dumbo even got a look-in.

Sorry that you didn't get quality sleep that night. Hope you made up for it the next day.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: