Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2013, 03:10 AM   #301
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

That's a great February post. How cool to see Rolly Crump and hear him speak.

Looks like you're having fun visiting the tourist sites of LA. And I would have totally knocked Ron Howard down off his bike!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 PM   #302
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Sorry you didn't have a great time in Newport.

The Getty looks great. I've lived here since it was built and still haven't made my way up there!

Rolly Crump is a hoot! I got to hear him talk at a presentation he was giving on his book before it was released. He shared all kinds of funny stories. I'm glad you got to hear your first Disney Legend.

Are you two going to the D23 Expo?
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-02-2013, 02:10 PM   #303
kristen1587
Earning My Ears

I am having such a great time reading this report!!! We just returned from a 2 week trip to disneyland/southern California. Our first time as we are wdw vets from georgia. And we spent some time sitting in front of the grand Californian fireplace. I thought to myself "this is where Tay and Tracy hang out" lol. So great to have visited the places I'm seeing in all your pics. Can't wait to post my own trip report!

Previous Trips: Off-site Feb. 1991, Apr. 1999, Apr. 2001, Mar. 2003, Dec. 2003, Dec. 2004, Dec. 2010, May 2011, Coronado Dec. 2011, All-Star Sports May 2012, Disneyland June 2013, Port Orleans Riverside April 2014
kristen1587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #304
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

I love wandering around 3rd Street Promenade and Santa Monica Pier on the weekends! Loved your beach pics and the Getty Center! I've lived here a year and still haven't visited the Getty Center.

Loved that you got to see a Disney legend even if you couldn't get a book signed Would love the read the book on Kindle (will see about downloading it soon after I get paid). I'm looking for an apartment after living with my DS and his GF for a year now - a co-worker wants to find a place together which will save us both $$ - we are looking from Manhattan Beach area and Playa Del Rey or near Culver City where I live. You have inspired me in so many ways to venture out and see more of the area than I have - love your updates!

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:20 PM   #305
Mrs. Gumdrop
DIS Veteran

HI! I am stopping in to let you know that although I have not been commenting, I have been reading. I am enjoying reading about your settling-in process and the exploration of your new neighborhood.

I too have moved recently and my DH and I have found a new animal park in our new neighborhood like yours. I also have a love of donkeys and I wanted to share a video I captured. Here I present an adorable white donkey baby!

Here is the link

Also, I have ready Rolly Crump's book. It was interesting and informative, and it was nice to get another point of view on early Disneyland history. I am really looking forward to Marty Sklar's that is coming out in August!
Old 07-05-2013, 03:22 AM   #306
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
That's a great February post. How cool to see Rolly Crump and hear him speak.

Looks like you're having fun visiting the tourist sites of LA. And I would have totally knocked Ron Howard down off his bike!
It was definitely cool to hear Rolly. He seems like a really interesting guy!

We have been enjoying seeing some of L.A. every now and then. Still so much more to explore! Tracy and I literally laughed out loud at your suggestion to knock down Ron Howard. Why didn't we think of that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Sorry you didn't have a great time in Newport.

The Getty looks great. I've lived here since it was built and still haven't made my way up there!

Rolly Crump is a hoot! I got to hear him talk at a presentation he was giving on his book before it was released. He shared all kinds of funny stories. I'm glad you got to hear your first Disney Legend.

Are you two going to the D23 Expo?
While not great, our time in Newport was still decent. We're excited to go back on a less crowded day sometime.

The Getty is definitely worth a visit if for the views alone. It was beautiful!

That's cool that you got to see Rolly Crump too. We really enjoyed what we got to hear of his stories. We're pretty sure we will be going to the Expo. Haven't decided if we'll do all three days or just one. Are you going to be there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristen1587 View Post
I am having such a great time reading this report!!! We just returned from a 2 week trip to disneyland/southern California. Our first time as we are wdw vets from georgia. And we spent some time sitting in front of the grand Californian fireplace. I thought to myself "this is where Tay and Tracy hang out" lol. So great to have visited the places I'm seeing in all your pics. Can't wait to post my own trip report!
I'm so glad that you're enjoying reading along! That's great that you made it out here and got to see all the sights we've talked about. I'm sure they were all a little better in person. Isn't the Grand fireplace just the best? You'll have to let me know when you start your trip report!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
I love wandering around 3rd Street Promenade and Santa Monica Pier on the weekends! Loved your beach pics and the Getty Center! I've lived here a year and still haven't visited the Getty Center.

Loved that you got to see a Disney legend even if you couldn't get a book signed Would love the read the book on Kindle (will see about downloading it soon after I get paid). I'm looking for an apartment after living with my DS and his GF for a year now - a co-worker wants to find a place together which will save us both $$ - we are looking from Manhattan Beach area and Playa Del Rey or near Culver City where I live. You have inspired me in so many ways to venture out and see more of the area than I have - love your updates!
Both the Promenade and the Pier are so cool. I'd visit them anytime! You should definitely make it out to the Getty Center sometime. It was very impressive!

Hope you enjoy reading Rolly's book on Kindle. I've only just gotten started reading it finally. That's great to hear that you're going to be finding a place soon! Good luck with the apartment search!! I'm so glad to hear that our adventures have inspired you to explore around your area!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Gumdrop View Post
HI! I am stopping in to let you know that although I have not been commenting, I have been reading. I am enjoying reading about your settling-in process and the exploration of your new neighborhood.

I too have moved recently and my DH and I have found a new animal park in our new neighborhood like yours. I also have a love of donkeys and I wanted to share a video I captured. Here I present an adorable white donkey baby!

Here is the link

Also, I have ready Rolly Crump's book. It was interesting and informative, and it was nice to get another point of view on early Disneyland history. I am really looking forward to Marty Sklar's that is coming out in August!
I'm glad that you're still enjoying reading along!

Your video is AMAZING. Both Tracy and I decided we want a baby donkey after seeing that I'm glad you've discovered a great little zoo to visit in your new neighborhood.

I need to get reading Rolly's book. I haven't had much time for reading since buying it, but enjoyed what I've read so far. I love hearing more about the parks from the Legends and the Imagineers. I'm very excited for Marty Sklar's book as well!
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:00 AM   #307
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 41
Large and Powerful Dragons: A PSA

Click here to read more.
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-18-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #308
Luisa
Mouseketeer

While I like to look at the candy apples I've never had the desire to buy one, but those cherry and chocolate covered ones look amazing! Now those I would buy, even just to eat the coating on them!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Dec '99 & Dec '05 - Disneyland, Oct '08 - Disneyland Hong Kong, Dec '09 - WDW, 2011 - turned 40 at Disneyland in January!, Dec '11 - Tokyo Disneyland, Dec '12 WDW & Disneyland, Nov 2013 Return to Disneyland!, Nov/Dec 2015 -my mums first Disney experience - and another Disneyland visit for me!
Luisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #309
PrincessInOz
in

I'm with Luisa about the cherry and chocolate coating.

But I would buy a candy apple anyday, anyway.

Love the picture of you and Tracy with the hotel in the back. I was most intrigued to see the large and powerful dragon. What other Chinese New Year celebration "items" were there?

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 07-08-2013, 05:34 AM   #310
AussieMumma
Has the travel bug

I've really enjoyed reading so far, you have a real knack for writing
Can I ask how you write stuff down about your day to remember it for future posts/blogging, do you keep a journal, write it in a word doc, something else??
I am really bad at writing blogs and trip reports because I only write a few shorts notes and rely on a terrible memory for the rest!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:18 AM   #311
AussieDisneyNut
Mouseketeer

Good update. Like the look of the sandwiches, just a pity that Tracy didn't enjoy hers .

Sorry I haven't posted the bread pudding recipe, however its somewhat similar to yours. To lower the fat content, you can replace cream with 2% milk and you could try adding 1/2 cup dried fruit such as raisins and reducing sugar by 1/2 cup. I also love it with a tablespoon of liqueur such as Cointreau added to the milk & egg mixture. I use good quality bread, and have tried white, whole-meal and brioche ... all work well, just slightly different textures.

I was intrigued by your reference to the show Greek, as it is not one I have come across. I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan, so I tracked down a copy of the first season of Greek and have just spent the weekend glued to the screen . I am trying to decide if it is now worth the exorbitant cost on iTunes to download the second season!

Looking forward to your next installment.
AussieDisneyNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:51 AM   #312
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
While I like to look at the candy apples I've never had the desire to buy one, but those cherry and chocolate covered ones look amazing! Now those I would buy, even just to eat the coating on them!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
They were definitely among the tastiest-looking ones we have encountered. To be honest, though, I think we would settle for trying any of the apples. They all look really good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I'm with Luisa about the cherry and chocolate coating.

But I would buy a candy apple anyday, anyway.

Love the picture of you and Tracy with the hotel in the back. I was most intrigued to see the large and powerful dragon. What other Chinese New Year celebration "items" were there?
Definitely agree. One of these days, we WILL buy an apple, and it had better not disappoint after they've been taunting us for so long...

I'm not quite sure what else they were doing for Chinese New Year. I think there was a whole schedule of events, and they made it more of an "Asian heritage" thing rather than just China. I'm sure there weren't too many other activities that day though, because they wouldn't have given the large and powerful dragon all the space he needed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieMumma View Post
I've really enjoyed reading so far, you have a real knack for writing
Can I ask how you write stuff down about your day to remember it for future posts/blogging, do you keep a journal, write it in a word doc, something else??
I am really bad at writing blogs and trip reports because I only write a few shorts notes and rely on a terrible memory for the rest!
I'm so glad to hear that you're enjoying reading, and thank you for the compliments

To be honest, everything I've written in this report so far is just from memory. When I look at the pictures, everything sort of comes flooding back to me and I write about it from there. I'm sure there are intricacies I forget, but the gist of it is all there. Once we started going to the parks, however, I'll admit that I needed to start writing things down. The days started blurring together and I knew I needed to do a better job of recording things if I had a prayer of writing about them. For that, I started a Word doc and just jot down notes each time we come back from the parks. We'll see how well that helps me soon when I get to writing about our park experiences! It's all just funny because I truly struggle to remember what we had for lunch today, but the pictures really help my memories from months ago come back strong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDisneyNut View Post
Good update. Like the look of the sandwiches, just a pity that Tracy didn't enjoy hers .

Sorry I haven't posted the bread pudding recipe, however its somewhat similar to yours. To lower the fat content, you can replace cream with 2% milk and you could try adding 1/2 cup dried fruit such as raisins and reducing sugar by 1/2 cup. I also love it with a tablespoon of liqueur such as Cointreau added to the milk & egg mixture. I use good quality bread, and have tried white, whole-meal and brioche ... all work well, just slightly different textures.

I was intrigued by your reference to the show Greek, as it is not one I have come across. I am a huge Gilmore Girls fan, so I tracked down a copy of the first season of Greek and have just spent the weekend glued to the screen . I am trying to decide if it is now worth the exorbitant cost on iTunes to download the second season!

Looking forward to your next installment.
I know Tracy was definitely bummed that her sandwich wasn't too good At least her next Earl experience made up for it.

Thanks for letting me know about the bread pudding. We'll have to try it out sometime soon! I'm sure Tracy won't object to another tasty dessert!

I'm SO GLAD to hear that you're liking Greek so far! We had it similarly recommended out of the blue and got hooked immediately. That's so annoying that you can't get it on Netflix there like we can... I will definitely say, though, that the first several seasons are very worth watching. Similar to Gilmore Girls, it began to falter a little eventually, but really not until the last season. Hope that you get to keep binge-watching soon!

Hope you keep enjoying reading along!

Old 07-09-2013, 02:24 AM   #313
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 42
Desperation Days

Click here to read more.

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-18-2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:48 AM   #314
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 43
The Calm

Click here to read more.

Last edited by tayalltheway; 12-18-2014 at 05:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #315
PrincessInOz
in

Another nice update for life in the O.C.

I've been looking up the Irvine Spectrum Mall and the shops there. Might have to make a visit there....that carousel and ferris wheel looks gorgeous.

Nice cake and food porn. I'm going to have to ignore Bruxie in Old Towne Orange! That is just wicked!!! But I'll definitely be indulging in the beignets when I'm there in September.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: