Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 04:31 AM   #226
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

You got a great shot of your hummingbird. That's really nice.

Love all the christmas pictures. Seems like downtown Orange might be worth a visit sometime.

And I'm drooling over the cookies. Nice job with the decorations.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #227
laur roo
Mouseketeer

Yum, cookies! I hope your Christmas cookies tasted as good as they look. I have a little tree like yours, only mine is silver. I have to put it up on a side table though, otherwise my cat will bat at the ornaments. So I always have to kitty-proof for the holidays, lol!

I bet you guys are getting every last penny you spent out of the patio furniture, and hopefully Larry isn't bugging you too much when you go outside.

And I'm guessing one of your movies was Love Actually, because of your title for the last chapter. As soon as I read it, that song got stuck in my head, lol!!

July 1990: Off Site July 1992: Caribbean Beach July 1994: Dixie Landings July 1996: Dixie Landings July/Aug 2000: Treehouse Villas
June 2007: All Star Music Dec 2008: French Quarter Dec 2009: Yacht Club Dec 2010: French Quarter Jan/Feb 2012: Riverside & Beach Club

My PTR: 9 trips out of 10 - A quick 3.5 day PTR - Jan 2012
My Dining Review: One Veggie and One Not Eat the Whole World...Showcase That Is!
My TR: We Walked How Many Steps Between The Festival And The Fiesta? A Jan '12 TR!
laur roo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 11:51 AM   #228
Pesky
"Who's the monkey?!"

Awwww, don't blame Harry too much. It's how they are made. I watched a super interesting special on hummingbirds on Nat Geo Wild and it said that a steady supply of nectar is the key to survival for them -- the literal difference between life and death. They have to eat every 15 minutes. So they stake out their feeder or cluster of flowers and guard it viciously. So Harry is who he is. He'll get more used to you and watch -- he will come to feed as you are hanging the feeder back up after a refill right in front of your face. The hummingbirds used to do that at my parents' place in SoCal all the time.

DH, the Disney doubter Me DD6 DS4
DLR Plan #2!: Coming soon to a DLR near you
WDW Plan: October 2016 (so very, very far away )
Pesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #229
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
You got a great shot of your hummingbird. That's really nice.

Love all the christmas pictures. Seems like downtown Orange might be worth a visit sometime.

And I'm drooling over the cookies. Nice job with the decorations.
Glad you liked my shot of Larry. And our cookies.

Downtown Orange is definitely worth a visit if you ever have a lot of extra time on a trip. It's really cute and idyllic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur roo View Post
Yum, cookies! I hope your Christmas cookies tasted as good as they look. I have a little tree like yours, only mine is silver. I have to put it up on a side table though, otherwise my cat will bat at the ornaments. So I always have to kitty-proof for the holidays, lol!

I bet you guys are getting every last penny you spent out of the patio furniture, and hopefully Larry isn't bugging you too much when you go outside.

And I'm guessing one of your movies was Love Actually, because of your title for the last chapter. As soon as I read it, that song got stuck in my head, lol!!
The cookies were definitely delicious! We were happy with how they turned out. Glad to hear that you have a fun little Christmas tree as well. We need to replace ours with a big one soon, but we'll be sad to retire our little one. Luckily, no need for us to kitty-proof. Yet...

Larry isn't such a bad sort in the long run. He still screams at us whenever he decides we're a threat to his feeder, but recently a few more hummingbirds have successfully come around without him chasing them away quite as quickly.

And of course Love Actually is one of our favorite Christmas movies. It's one of my favorite movies period. I just love the joy it brings every holiday season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky View Post
Awwww, don't blame Harry too much. It's how they are made. I watched a super interesting special on hummingbirds on Nat Geo Wild and it said that a steady supply of nectar is the key to survival for them -- the literal difference between life and death. They have to eat every 15 minutes. So they stake out their feeder or cluster of flowers and guard it viciously. So Harry is who he is. He'll get more used to you and watch -- he will come to feed as you are hanging the feeder back up after a refill right in front of your face. The hummingbirds used to do that at my parents' place in SoCal all the time.
Yeah, hummingbirds are extremely interesting. We were really excited to have Larry at first, but we got mad when he started chasing away other hummers even once we had gotten a second feeder. He's not too bad though. We still like it when he comes around, and maybe someday he'll decide he likes us a little more
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:14 AM   #230
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 31
There’s a Tree in the Grand Hotel

If we couldn’t make it into the parks for Christmas (and trust me, living ten minutes away without being able to go in and see the decorations was EXCRUTIATING), we at least had to spend a lot of December in Downtown Disney getting our fill of the decorations there. We started off another of our trips back at Earl of Sandwich. This time Tracy and I split a Holiday Sandwich and a bowl of Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Both were delicious.

Next, we headed back over to the Grand Californian. If you remember our last visit, the decorations were just starting to go up. But this time, Christmas was in full swing.

There were carolers in the lobby singing songs and taking requests. They were really great!

Tracy and I also brought some of our least exciting pins to the resort with us to trade, so I had my sweet lanyard.

Santa’s chair was out in preparation for him to make semi-hourly appearances in the lobby. When he wasn’t occupying it, we took turns.

I just loved everything about this tree. From the presents to the decorations, it just screamed Disney.

We were about to head out, but we noticed the PhotoPass cast members in the lobby setting up the lighting and camera for Santa to come out, so we decided to wait and see him. We sat by our favorite fireplace while we waited.

When Santa did come out, the kids went wild and the cast members all started handing out candy canes. Tracy and I didn’t want to brave the line to meet Santa (not too many adults were), but we got candy canes and just watched some of the interactions he had with guests.

We had already been at the Grand for a couple hours at this point, but we still had some time to spare on our free 3 hours of parking, so we decided to explore a little bit. We took the elevator up to the various floors and walked around. We discovered this great outdoor patio on one floor with views of the pool and DCA at sunset.

Cars Land was beckoning to us. At least we wouldn’t have to wait THAT much longer before we finally got to see it for real.

The views of the tree were phenomenal from the upstairs angles—if a little harrowing as well…

After doing a good deal of exploring around the various levels of the Grand Californian, we decided to head back downstairs and start toward our car. We had been redirected to the Pumbaa lot today (not because the regular Downtown Disney lots were actually full but because we hadn’t yet learned not to trust Disney’s signs pointing you to the parking lot they would rather you went to). So we exited the main entrance of the Grand and got to enjoy our favorite mural.

We also enjoyed the poinsettias they had placed around the entrance.

The lights on the trees out front were just coming on as we were leaving, and they were so pretty.

Since we were heading in that direction anyway, we decided to stop at Paradise Pier and see how their tree was looking.

It was very festive, if slightly less grand than the Grand.

Since we were there, we took the opportunity to ride our favorite glass elevator up to the top floor as we had done many times on our September 2011 trip. We could see the nicely-lit Paradise Pier section of DCA as well as Cars Land.

Someday, we reassured ourselves. Someday soon.

Continued in Next Post
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 05-26-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #231
PrincessInOz
in

I love your pictures of the trees. Even though it isn't nearly as impressive as the one in the GC, I do like the one at PP. The blue colouring is special in itself.

Hoping to see you posting about Carsland soon.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 05-16-2013, 05:05 AM   #232
AussieDisneyNut
Mouseketeer

I love the GCH, it is so beautiful at any time, but at Christmas it must be spectacular. I love the pic of the tree from above, good shot! One day I hope we can see Disneyland in all its Christmas splendor!
Old 05-16-2013, 10:47 AM   #233
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

1. "Love Actually" - You have probably not followed any of my holiday trip reports (they're all in one big thread), but I have mentioned Love Actually about 100 times, over and over, every year. My readers are probably sick of me talking about Love Actually! I am a sucker for almost all Christmas movies or TV specials in general, but I have said repeatedly that -- just as you said -- Love Actually is not only one of my favorite Christmas movies, but one of my favorites movies of any kind, period! It often pops up on cable at non-Christmas times of year, such as (of course) Valentine's Day, Halloween and even St. Patrick's Day! Currently I think it's in the Cinemax rotation (it jumps back and forth between HBO and Cinemax), and then after it has done its 'uncensored' run it will probably move over to TNT or ABC Family in its PG-rated form.

In fact, in my last two DLR holiday trip reports (from Dec. 2012 and Dec. 2011) I used specific verses from Christmas songs as intros to each individual segment, to kind of set the holiday scene and punctuate the scenarios. The funny thing is that in one installment (from the 2011 report, I think), I used lyrics from Bill Nighy's wonderful "Christmas Is All Around" rendition.....and no one knew what it was! (I guess that idea went over well!) One person even suggested that she may have to Google the lyrics to find out what song it was! Well, I take that back -- fellow DIS'ers Molly/bumbershoot and Jenny/rentayenta are also big Love Actually fans, but otherwise, no one knew it.

I found another person who seemed to know about Love Actually in the Walking Dead thread here on the DIS (because of the Andrew Lincoln tie-in), but it seems that many folks have not seen it, not heard of it or just don't like it.

So when I saw your Love Actually comment, I got excited and had to speak up! I thought, "Yay! Another kindred spirit!"

2. The Paradise Pier Hotel tree - What I always say to people about that tree is that they have to be sure to see it in person. While it looks pretty in photos, it does not translate as well in photos as it does in person. Do you agree with that assessment?

I love, love, love the PPH tree. Color-wise, and in terms of overall allure, the PPH tree is by far my favorite. It does seem a bit detached from its surroundings in a way -- it doesn't blend into the PPH as well as the GCH tree blends into its setting. Rather, it stands out. But I have been in the PPH lobby in the past when people were literally gathered 'round the tree, oooh-ing and aaah-ing, mesmerized by the warm, deep glow of the blue-green colors. It is truly striking up close. At times I have wanted to run into the PPH lobby and burst into song at the sight of the tree!

As far as overall context and theme, the Grand Californian Hotel tree definitely wins the race because it fits so well in that 'elegantly rustic' theme -- the dim lighting, the dark wood, the hearth, etc.

Both the GCH tree and the PPH tree have an edge over the Disneyland Hotel trees, because they are towering. The DLH trees suffer from not having a big cavernous space to thrive (otherwise known as "low ceiling-itis").

3. I loved your photo of the twinkly outdoor GCH trees as the lights were coming on! I love those trees! I love to see them both at dawn -- just before sunrise, when everything on the GCH property is still and quiet -- and at dusk before it gets dark. There is something about the twinkly trees against the background of the deep pre-dawn and pre-dusk blue sky that fascinates me!

4. The carolers at the GCH - I love them too! This is definitely an area where the GCH wins out over the other 2 DLR hotels. While the carolers visit each hotel, the settings at the PPH and DLH are not conducive to relaxing in comfy chairs with beverages in hand, enjoying the music around the trees. The GCH lobby environment is perfect for really being able to enjoy the carolers because the overall atmosphere is inviting and you can actually gather 'round the tree. I have seen people sprawled out on those sofas, feet propped up on the tables, snacks and drinks in hand, shouting out requests. I have seen children stretched out on the carpet in front of the chairs and sofas. It's lovely -- and it's a great thing to do at Disneyland Resort to enjoy a tiny bit of the holiday cheer without spending any money.

I often recommend to people on this board that they should take a couple of hours to visit the GCH lobby during the holiday season so they can sit comfortably and listen to the carolers. Unfortunately, I have recommended it so much that now I can't find an available seat when I try to sit in the GCH lobby! I have talked it up so much that I have talked myself right out of a chair!

I'm already a Christmas fanatic, but I must say that looking at your photos has given me that "Can we just skip all of summer and fast forward to the holidays?" kinda feeling! I need to get back to DLR and see the PPH tree and the GCH tree! That's what a great TR does -- it makes the reader want to be in that particular place, at that particular moment in time!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014

Last edited by Sherry E; 05-16-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:52 PM   #234
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

Loved all the pics you've posted lately--especially the one of you two together in Santa's chair, the trees lit up with white twinkle lights outside of the Grand Californian, and the Paradise Pier tree, which we love!

You and Tracy do such fun things together--you really enter into the spirit of things and it's so fun to read about them. I love how you participate in acitivites that some wouldn't do unless they had kids--they are missing out!

I second SherryE in that I too, wish we could bypass summer and just get to the Holidays, but enjoying your posts about the Christmas season are helping!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:41 AM   #235
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
I love your pictures of the trees. Even though it isn't nearly as impressive as the one in the GC, I do like the one at PP. The blue colouring is special in itself.

Hoping to see you posting about Carsland soon.
I definitely agree about the PP tree. It was fun to see and matched very well with the theme of the hotel! Something like they have at the GC would look very out of place at PP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDisneyNut View Post
I love the GCH, it is so beautiful at any time, but at Christmas it must be spectacular. I love the pic of the tree from above, good shot! One day I hope we can see Disneyland in all its Christmas splendor!
I definitely recommend Disneyland at Christmas-- and we only saw the hotels and Downtown Disney! We're already looking so forward to seeing the actual splendor of the parks decorated this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
1. "Love Actually" - You have probably not followed any of my holiday trip reports (they're all in one big thread), but I have mentioned Love Actually about 100 times, over and over, every year. My readers are probably sick of me talking about Love Actually! I am a sucker for almost all Christmas movies or TV specials in general, but I have said repeatedly that -- just as you said -- Love Actually is not only one of my favorite Christmas movies, but one of my favorites movies of any kind, period! It often pops up on cable at non-Christmas times of year, such as (of course) Valentine's Day, Halloween and even St. Patrick's Day! Currently I think it's in the Cinemax rotation (it jumps back and forth between HBO and Cinemax), and then after it has done its 'uncensored' run it will probably move over to TNT or ABC Family in its PG-rated form.

In fact, in my last two DLR holiday trip reports (from Dec. 2012 and Dec. 2011) I used specific verses from Christmas songs as intros to each individual segment, to kind of set the holiday scene and punctuate the scenarios. The funny thing is that in one installment (from the 2011 report, I think), I used lyrics from Bill Nighy's wonderful "Christmas Is All Around" rendition.....and no one knew what it was! (I guess that idea went over well!) One person even suggested that she may have to Google the lyrics to find out what song it was! Well, I take that back -- fellow DIS'ers Molly/bumbershoot and Jenny/rentayenta are also big Love Actually fans, but otherwise, no one knew it.

I found another person who seemed to know about Love Actually in the Walking Dead thread here on the DIS (because of the Andrew Lincoln tie-in), but it seems that many folks have not seen it, not heard of it or just don't like it.

So when I saw your Love Actually comment, I got excited and had to speak up! I thought, "Yay! Another kindred spirit!"

2. The Paradise Pier Hotel tree - What I always say to people about that tree is that they have to be sure to see it in person. While it looks pretty in photos, it does not translate as well in photos as it does in person. Do you agree with that assessment?

I love, love, love the PPH tree. Color-wise, and in terms of overall allure, the PPH tree is by far my favorite. It does seem a bit detached from its surroundings in a way -- it doesn't blend into the PPH as well as the GCH tree blends into its setting. Rather, it stands out. But I have been in the PPH lobby in the past when people were literally gathered 'round the tree, oooh-ing and aaah-ing, mesmerized by the warm, deep glow of the blue-green colors. It is truly striking up close. At times I have wanted to run into the PPH lobby and burst into song at the sight of the tree!

As far as overall context and theme, the Grand Californian Hotel tree definitely wins the race because it fits so well in that 'elegantly rustic' theme -- the dim lighting, the dark wood, the hearth, etc.

Both the GCH tree and the PPH tree have an edge over the Disneyland Hotel trees, because they are towering. The DLH trees suffer from not having a big cavernous space to thrive (otherwise known as "low ceiling-itis").

3. I loved your photo of the twinkly outdoor GCH trees as the lights were coming on! I love those trees! I love to see them both at dawn -- just before sunrise, when everything on the GCH property is still and quiet -- and at dusk before it gets dark. There is something about the twinkly trees against the background of the deep pre-dawn and pre-dusk blue sky that fascinates me!

4. The carolers at the GCH - I love them too! This is definitely an area where the GCH wins out over the other 2 DLR hotels. While the carolers visit each hotel, the settings at the PPH and DLH are not conducive to relaxing in comfy chairs with beverages in hand, enjoying the music around the trees. The GCH lobby environment is perfect for really being able to enjoy the carolers because the overall atmosphere is inviting and you can actually gather 'round the tree. I have seen people sprawled out on those sofas, feet propped up on the tables, snacks and drinks in hand, shouting out requests. I have seen children stretched out on the carpet in front of the chairs and sofas. It's lovely -- and it's a great thing to do at Disneyland Resort to enjoy a tiny bit of the holiday cheer without spending any money.

I often recommend to people on this board that they should take a couple of hours to visit the GCH lobby during the holiday season so they can sit comfortably and listen to the carolers. Unfortunately, I have recommended it so much that now I can't find an available seat when I try to sit in the GCH lobby! I have talked it up so much that I have talked myself right out of a chair!

I'm already a Christmas fanatic, but I must say that looking at your photos has given me that "Can we just skip all of summer and fast forward to the holidays?" kinda feeling! I need to get back to DLR and see the PPH tree and the GCH tree! That's what a great TR does -- it makes the reader want to be in that particular place, at that particular moment in time!
1. That's funny about Love Actually. I just consider it to be a Christmas classic along with all the rest and always assume everyone else does too! I don't know of another movie I've ever seen that uses the music in its score so perfectly. When the music swells at the climax with Jamie walking through the streets of Portugal and Sam running through the airport, I am always reminded why it's one of my favorite movies ever.

2. I'm glad the PP tree isn't like the GC tree. They're two very different hotels and the feeling of one is much different than the other. We really liked that one as well. It was very pretty in its own way. You're probably right, though, that it doesn't translate as well to pictures as the GC one.

3. We loved those tree lights. They're so simple yet SO pretty!

4. Having the carolers definitely felt like an "attraction" we could enjoy without needing to pay admission to the parks. We loved how festive and just joyous the whole GC lobby was.

Of course, in general we just LOVE Christmas too. Definitely one of my favorite times of the year anywhere, but especially in Disneyland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirecatty View Post
Loved all the pics you've posted lately--especially the one of you two together in Santa's chair, the trees lit up with white twinkle lights outside of the Grand Californian, and the Paradise Pier tree, which we love!

You and Tracy do such fun things together--you really enter into the spirit of things and it's so fun to read about them. I love how you participate in acitivites that some wouldn't do unless they had kids--they are missing out!

I second SherryE in that I too, wish we could bypass summer and just get to the Holidays, but enjoying your posts about the Christmas season are helping!
Glad you're enjoying the pictures! We really do try to DO as much as possible whenever we can. We certainly enjoy making the most of our days And I'm sure some people think we're weird with all the things most people don't do without kids, but they are indeed just missing out on the fun!

Yes, I would be fine if Christmas came soon. In addition to the decorations coming back, we've been talking recently about how we want to see Haunted Mansion Holiday again!

Old 05-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #236
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 32
We’re Going to the Zoo, Zoo, Zoo

Straying entirely away from the topics of Disney and Christmas, you will all remember how much Tracy and I love the zoo. By mid-December, we were missing the annual passes we had held to the New York zoos for so long and hadn’t yet discovered a good zoo by us. Yes, of course, the San Diego Zoo is RELATIVELY close by, but it’s still almost a 2 hour drive. It’s also almost as expensive as a day at Disneyland, and if we weren’t spending that kind of money on Disney, we weren’t about to spend it on the zoo either. The Santa Ana Zoo is also close, but we found pretty mixed reviews of it on Yelp. While browsing Yelp, however, we found reviews of another zoo we didn’t know existed—right here in Orange!

It turns out the Orange County Zoo is located in Irvine Regional Park, which is about 15 minutes away from us on the eastern edge of Orange. To make this zoo more appealing, the admission fee is only $2, and there was a 2-for-1 coupon on Yelp! We decided to hop in the car and start driving to this zoo. After all, even if it was ridiculous, we figured it would at least be both fun and cheap.

When we found Irvine Regional Park, it was completely unlike anything else we had experienced here in Orange County. Here we were suddenly in a quiet and natural setting. We couldn’t hear traffic noise (however faintly) for the first time in a month. After paying for parking—they make you pay for parking EVERYWHERE here—we wound our way through the park following the signs toward the zoo. On the way, we passed by several enclosures filled with horses and a little holiday village.

Parking the car, we got out and headed into the zoo.

It was already about 2:00 and the zoo closed and 3:00, but we were pretty sure this wasn’t going to be the kind of zoo where you need to linger for hours to see everything. We bought our tickets and the gal at the window scowled at us as we used the buy one get one free deal. Yes, we understood that admission only cost $2. We weren’t trying to stiff the zoo, but every dollar we could save at that point counted. Don’t offer the coupon if you don’t want people to use it!

There was a nice little holiday setup at the entrance to the zoo.

Going in, we were excited. We had read in the reviews that this zoo only housed animals that were native to California. This seemed to turn off some of the reviewers, but it’s not like you see bears and mountain lions walking around all the time just because they live here. We were still excited to see all this wildlife! Our anticipation multiplied when we saw this sign and noticed a picture of a raccoon among the inhabitants.

Upon entering the zoo, we turned right and saw our first animals. There were coyotes as well as some bobcats and ocelots.

We continued down that first corridor and came to the petting zoo.

We went into the enclosure and they had all kinds of little goats running around. They even had brushes you could use on them.

The goats were all very friendly and we made fast friends by petting their beards.

After the petting zoo, we went back to the main pathway and passed by several owls who were all looking quite adorable. Unfortunately, the fences on the cages made it almost impossible to get good pictures of most of the animals as my camera focused on the fence rather than the animals…

While this next picture isn’t great, I felt like I needed to share it. We passed by the mountain lions next, and one of them was giving us some serious stink eye.

We decided she looked like none other than our old pal, McKayla Maroney.

We continued around past some possums and some boars before finally getting to the real stars of the zoo—the black bears.

The bears were pacing and being generally more interesting than most of the animals. I think they knew it was getting close to closing time.

They seemed like a pretty playful sort who I think just wanted a small smackerel of honey.

Across from the bears was this burro. He reminded us so much of our best donkey friend from Disneyland, Pancho.

Okay. The bears may have been the biggest, most interesting animals at the zoo, but the real STARS were none other than the raccoons!

Except these raccoons were CRAZY. If we weren’t in a zoo, I honestly would have thought they were rabid. They kept fighting with each other and scrambling all over their enclosure. We still liked them though.

We had almost finished the rounds of the zoo—yes it was that small—but saw a few more fun animals including the Mule Deer.

Before leaving (since we had finished the whole zoo loop so quickly) we went for another trip around and grabbed some better pictures of some of our favorite friends.

We exited out and explored the surrounding part of the park a little.

It seems like it would be a great place to actually plan on walking around some time, but we weren’t really up for that today.

After going back to our car, we stopped once more on the way out of the park to explore the little Santa’s Village that was set up.

There was a cool train that went all around the park, and its loop was all decorated for the holidays, so we tried to figure out how much that would cost. We were a little floored to find out it would run us $20 per person for the little train ride. Way too rich for our blood!

Instead, we just walked around a little more and enjoyed seeing all the horses at the stables.

On the whole, it was a great little outing. We learned about a very cheap zoo option right nearby and had a lot of fun doing it!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 05-29-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:56 AM   #237
PrincessInOz
in

The girl at the counter scowled at your for using a 2-for-1 deal?? I agree. If they don't want people using it, they shouldn't offer it. It doesn't matter what the admission price is!

That is a very cute "zoo"...more of a menagerie than a zoo. I love the bears and the raccoons. Hoping to see more pictures of this place in future posts. I love animals too.

I haven't been to the SDZoo in a while. I had to google to see what the price is when you said it was almost as expensive as DL tix. Not quite....but single admission to the zoo is pricey. The price to the SDZ costs nearly the same as the Melbourne Zoo here. We have a yearly membership to the Melbourne; and that gives us unlimited entry to the Melbourne Zoo, the Werribee Wildlife Park (African safari) and the Healesville Sanctuary (it houses indigenous marsupial animals). If it weren't for the fact that you have to drive 2 hours to get to SD, the yearly membership might be worth it for you and Tracy.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #238
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

That's a cute little zoo, I didn't know it was there either.

At my house, we just leave cat food outside for the feral cats and we get to see possums, raccoons, and skunks all for free!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!
franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #239
RI Disney Star
Mouseketeer

Hi Taylor. I just found your TR and have finally finished reading through it. I’m planning a trip to Disneyland next year. You are a really good writer and I’ve enjoyed reading about your adventures.

I live on the east coast and can certainly understand wanting to move to California. The weather really gets to us sometimes. You picked a good time to move. You missed a lot of snow this past winter. One storm we got over 2 ft. of snow. Just last Saturday the temperature was 48 degrees at 5 o’clock in the afternoon. Today was a nice day though.

I really enjoyed reading about your stay in Colorado. My sister lives there, in Highlands Ranch. I’ve been there at least 10 times (probably more, I’ve lost count) in the last 20 years.

Colorado Springs…been there several times. I’ve done all the touristy things there….Garden of the Gods, Olympic Training Center, Cog Railway to the top of Pikes Peak, Broadmoor Hotel. We always went to an ice cream shop in the Broadmoor whenever we were in the area. Loved Cheyenne Mountain Zoo, feeding the giraffes, so much fun! All your pictures brought back many memories.

My niece attends CU in Boulder. Last time I was in CO we went to Boulder but really didn’t have much time there. I’ll definitely go back when she graduates.

Glenwood Springs…been by it but never stopped. I’ll have to put that on my bucket list for the next trip. One trip we drove all the way to Grand Junction to see Colorado National Monument. It was beautiful.

Sorry about your troubles on moving day. Glad you are settled in now. Looks like you made a great choice and everything worked out in the end. It’s a really cute apartment and I love the ear hats on the wall.

I’m sorry you didn’t get jobs at Disney. Here is a quote from Walt Disney. “All the adversity I’ve had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me…You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.” Well said Walt! Hang in there, you never know what the future holds for you but I think there will be bigger and better things for both of you.

Your Thanksgiving dinner looks great. Except you are missing something…..something green….veggies!!! (Sorry, the Mom in me just came out.) Homemade pumpkin pie is the best…so glad you were able to get more ingredients so you could make it again. Can’t have Thanksgiving without pumpkin pie!

Christmas at Disney looks awesome. Your pictures are terrific. What kind of camera do you use?

Sorry for being so long winded.

p.s. How has your health been? I'm hoping you are doing much better.

Happy New Year TR: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212814

WDW - 1978 Fort Wilderness, 1991 Caribbean Beach Resort, 1998 Port Orleans, 2008 All Star Sports, 2009 Off Site, 2011 Off Site, 2012 Coronado Springs Resort

Disneyland - 1967, 2014 Paradise Pier
RI Disney Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #240
monkey30
Dreaming of my next vacation!

Great updates! LOVED the tree in at the grand. It was so pretty when we were there in December. I understand how easy it is to just sit and relax and lose time there.

September Family Trip 2012 PTR
DL Trip Report 2012
Left the Kids at home PTR 2013
monkey30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: