Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM   #181
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

You've done a really great job with the apartment

It really looks like you've made it home and given it your own personalities in super quick time
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:16 PM   #182
Casey's Mommie
Nothing makes a Mommy happier than hearing her baby laugh!

I recognize the Harry Potter Books on the shelf!

Love your apartment and your resourcefulness! I still fantasize about living near Disneyland and I'm 35 It's so awesomne how you guys actually did it!

Good Job!
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2013, 04:11 PM   #183
Cheshirecatty
DIS Veteran

But I didn't see a picture ANYWHERE of Stupey Doodle!!!!
Cheshirecatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:46 PM   #184
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

I love the ear hat display! The apartment really looks like home xx
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

tinkerbells mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #185
petals
Irish Princess because Cinderella said so!

Luvin the disney touches
petals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #186
Maddie2
DIS Veteran

Glad to see you kids found a nice place and have made it a comfortable home. I'm sure your folks have a sense of relief about it as well.

As many have said, it's fun to see your fun Disney collections. I see that your favorite vinylmation has the center place of honor. Oh, and I happened to spot an old friend of mine as well - a salty fellow named Neil.

Congratulations on your Home Sweet Home!
Maddie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 AM   #187
heaven2dc
DIS Veteran

So glad you are all settled in - your place looks great! You def have motivated me to start looking for a place of my own (currently living with my son and his gf which I love but thinking it is time to find a place soon - been here with them for 9 1/2 months which has helped me get a job and save $$ but feel it's time for them to have their lives back). Hope I can find some great deals up here in Culver City like you've found in Orange County! Can't wait to read the next chapter of your story

WDW Trips: March 1997 (BWV), February 2008 (BWV), December 2008 (BWV), Nov/Dec 2010 (BWV)

Disneyland Trips: September 1983, AP Holder July 2013 (twice), August 2013 & November 2013

All Our Dreams Come True If We Have the Courage To Pursue Them - Walt Disney
heaven2dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #188
Virgoinab
Mouseketeer

I'm sorry you had the issue with getting your things. I would have lost it too.

However it looks like you made it through okay, and have been busy making it your home.

Just think what a great story it will be to tell your kids one day, okay maybe not now it does not feel all funny, but it might be one day
DL PPH Feb 2005
WDW GFH Sugar Loaf villa Feb 2008
DL DLH Wedding Dec 2011
DL DLH June 2012
DL DLH Oct 2012 Did two MHP! Great time!
DL DLH Christmas week Dec 2012
DL DLH Royal Suite April 2013
DL DLH 1 Bdrm Suite Sep 2013

WDW PORS Sep 5 - Sep 11 2014
Virgoinab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:23 PM   #189
albertamommyof4
DIS Veteran

love your new place, and great finds . can't wait to hear more
albertamommyof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #190
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieDisneyNut View Post
Love the "ears" display. What a great idea!

Thanks! We had always just had them sitting around somewhere looking unorganized, so I thought it would be fun to make our own little art-piece out of them

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Looks like you are slowly but surely getting unpacked.

Love the ears display too.
Definitely done unpacking now, but it took a while. Glad you like the ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisa View Post
Think I'm going to borrow that ear display idea for all of mine!
Do it! We just have them stuck up with pushpins. We still take them down occasionally to wear to the parks after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laur roo View Post
That ear hat display is super cool! I only have one ear hat, so it just sits with my tv stand. I've never heard of earthquake proofing a large piece of furniture, but I guess it makes a lot of sense to do in California! And I really like your tv stand with all the room around it for dvds and knicknacks. I spied a baby Kevin from Up, I have one of those too!

And I am glad Tracy converted you to the ways of unpacking quickly, I am the exact same way, I like to be settled in and know where my stuff is instead of having to search different boxes to find what I need.

Your place looks great, it's amazing how you lucked out with all the Craigslist stuff!!
We didn't know for sure what to earthquake-proof, and in the end we decided the TV stand was the only piece of furniture tall/precarious enough. Luckily there were whole kits for it at Home Depot. We like the TV stand too. Unfortunately, our TV is the largest size that fits in the opening so next time we upgrade, we'll need to change setups. I think we got Baby Kevin from Disney Movie Rewards after we bought Up. He's out with our "Easter knicknacks" because he fits in.

I definitely appreciate never having to see boxes when I look around the apartment. Love being unpacked! And yes indeed, we were pleased with our Craigslist haul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
You've done a really great job with the apartment

It really looks like you've made it home and given it your own personalities in super quick time
Thanks! Glad you like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey's Mommie View Post
I recognize the Harry Potter Books on the shelf!

Love your apartment and your resourcefulness! I still fantasize about living near Disneyland and I'm 35 It's so awesomne how you guys actually did it!

Good Job!
Our Harry Potter books always have to have a place of great prominence. Still my number one fan obsession besides Disney! Glad you like the pix of the apartment. I say it's never too late to pick up and move to Disneyland! Maybe you'll get out here someday too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshirecatty View Post
But I didn't see a picture ANYWHERE of Stupey Doodle!!!!
We really need to get a poster-sized print of her to hang in a place of great prominence. We did make a calendar entirely of pictures of her on Shutterfly this year. I'll have to remember to post a picture of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbells mum View Post
I love the ear hat display! The apartment really looks like home xx
Glad you like the ears! We definitely tried to make it feel like home as quickly as possible, especially after our months of feeling like we didn't quite have a home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petals View Post
Luvin the disney touches
Thanks! We love our Disney stuff. The collection will probably never cease growing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie2 View Post
Glad to see you kids found a nice place and have made it a comfortable home. I'm sure your folks have a sense of relief about it as well.

As many have said, it's fun to see your fun Disney collections. I see that your favorite vinylmation has the center place of honor. Oh, and I happened to spot an old friend of mine as well - a salty fellow named Neil.

Congratulations on your Home Sweet Home!
We're definitely happy to have found some place to settle down for a while. We're very pleased with our choice

Glad you enjoy our Disney collection. Duffy would have thrown a fit if he wasn't in the center

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
So glad you are all settled in - your place looks great! You def have motivated me to start looking for a place of my own (currently living with my son and his gf which I love but thinking it is time to find a place soon - been here with them for 9 1/2 months which has helped me get a job and save $$ but feel it's time for them to have their lives back). Hope I can find some great deals up here in Culver City like you've found in Orange County! Can't wait to read the next chapter of your story
Best of luck with your home search! I know it's not easy, but we were able to prove to ourselves that by looking hard and long enough the right place was out there. Hope you keep enjoying our tales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virgoinab View Post
I'm sorry you had the issue with getting your things. I would have lost it too.

However it looks like you made it through okay, and have been busy making it your home.

Just think what a great story it will be to tell your kids one day, okay maybe not now it does not feel all funny, but it might be one day
Yeah, it was definitely a trying experience getting everything moved, but at least it all worked out in the end. And now I already got to share the experience with all of you reading, so at least it made for a good story

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertamommyof4 View Post
love your new place, and great finds . can't wait to hear more
Thanks! Can't wait to share more, and hopefully it won't disappoint
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #191
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 25
Your Guide to How to Not Get a Job at Disneyland

Click here to read more.
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals

Last edited by tayalltheway; 08-10-2014 at 01:23 AM.
tayalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:13 PM   #192
AussieDisneyNut
Mouseketeer

What a saga! I'm sorry that your Disney career dreams are on hold, but hopefully you are enjoying whatever you are now doing. Sometimes, working for your "dream" company can take the magic out of your dream, so perhaps it's for the best at the moment. I actually work for my "dream" organization (museum) and although I love working there, I find that I don't spend much of my leisure time there, as it is now work. Go figure!

Looking forward to hearing the next chapter and hoping you are still enjoying the Disney magic
Old 04-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #193
flamingglobessigmund
DIS Veteran

I was finally able to catch up on reading the story of your journey & move to OC. You probably don't recall my long ago reply, but we moved here too last year. I'm sorry the Disney jobs didn't work out, but I'm glad you & your wife found employment. Also you got passes! We didn't get ours until Sept 2012. It's been really nice (to put it mildly) to be able to run over to DL for a few hours during most weeks.

Looking forward to reading more!

"It's just as you prophesied! The planets of our solar
system, incinerating. Like flaming globes, Sigmund.
Like flaming globes. Ah, ha, ha, ha..".~~Seinfeld
Me DH DD DS
AKL Club Level Jan 2011

flamingglobessigmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:06 AM   #194
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

So sorry that the Disney jobs opportunities didn't work out this time. Hope it works out in the future.

But at least you're a lot closer to the Mouse!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:12 PM   #195
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I have not had time to catch up with everything other than an occasional peek-in to see the apartment choices and to learn that there was a possible Disney job for Tracy...which didn't work out. You will both eventually get in, if that's what you both want. I know you will! It must not have been the right time yet, but it will happen!

This made me think about employment with Disney, in general, and what I've 'heard' about it through the years. I hope you don't mind if I share it here, but it seemed to be a good place to share it!

I've known people who have seemingly gotten into Disney jobs fairly easily, both in the parks and behind the scenes, and yet it still seems to be very hard to get hired! Plus, there are so many different levels and branches of Disney employment - the Burbank-Glendale jobs (which could include ABC or could include Disney Parks), the Corporate jobs in Anaheim, the jobs actually at DLR, the entertainment jobs inside the parks, the Vacation Club offices, the jobs at the hotels, etc.

I used to think that it would spoil the magic for me if I worked for Disneyland, and that I would have to work for a non-parks aspect of Disney if I worked for them at all. Back when I was a kid, working for Disney seemed like an unattainable fantasy anyway (even though I've always lived in SoCal, which is forever attached to the entertainment business and many folks have jobs in entertainment offices all over town).

Then, I heard that it was supposedly a nightmare working for Disney and it temporarily shattered any illusions I may have had.

Then, a friend of a friend began working for Disney (in a non-parks division) and she was with them for years. It didn't seem to be a nightmare! It was a great job! In fact, this person actually left that great job to work elsewhere! But she eventually went back! Even after she left her first job and worked for a non-Disney company, Disney took her back because she had been a good employee during her previous tenure! Ultimately, her particular job was cut because her particular department was closed and she moved on to another company.

I asked this person-who-used-to-work-at-Disney to point me in the direction of anyone in HR that she used to deal with, or anyone she knew. A contact, a name. Something. And that was a dead end. I began to think that if a person who used to work for Disney couldn't help get me in, then I may never get in.

I've been told on more than one occasion, by Cast Members and others, that "once you're in, you're IN." Once you get past the barriers and walls and get into the Disney empire, the sky's the limit and you can move all around to different branches and different positions. You can even leave a Disney job and then return again, apparently, and still have an advantage over newcomers!

I just met with a CM at the Disney Vacation Club offices at DLR last December (not for an interview, though), and she said, "Why don't you work here? You have a great smile, a nice demeanor and disposition, and you love Disney." I had to kind of giggle because I know it is not as simple as all of that! If only it were...

One CM told me to try to start out in something that is easier to get into at DLR, "like Vacation Planning at the Parks." Then, once you're in that position for a while you can transfer or get promoted.

Another CM told me to try to get into one of the Burbank-Glendale Disney jobs first, just to get a foot in the door, and then that will pave the way to Disneyland-specific jobs (either in the parks or out of them).

Yet another person once told me to find a temp agency that has a contract with Disney (there are a few), get assigned to a Disney job and get your foot in the door that way.

Any way you slice it, it seems to be very easy to get in to Disney for some folks and very hard for others, and there isn't always much rhyme or reason to it. But...everyone agrees that once you're in, you're IN!

Good luck to both of you! I'm glad that Tracy got a job that she loves!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Sherry E is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: