Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #1
sasywtch
DIS Veteran

Social Security Disability Update Pg 2

Anyone have any experience with this?
I think it's called social security disability. It's when you can't work any longer and you are at 55 years of age..

He applied in August. He's got excellent documentation however, the strange this is, they made him go see a psychiatrist on a Saturday. It was her ss disability day as 8 people were waiting to see her and that's what she told him. (probably makes a good penny doing that one Saturday a month).

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure what he would be entitled to and I don't see it on the ss website. If he's approved, does he get what he would have got at 62? at 66.6?

We are pretty sure it will be awarded, if not alone with an attorney. If he has to get an attorney, the system is severly flawed. He has a condition that is in the "blue book". He had West Nile, almost died, contracted encyphalitis (?sp) induced Parkinsons. The worker at ss said that this is what it is for and he was a good candidate. Had worked 32 years straight for one company, viable condition, etc.

Anyway, anyone gone through this? Anyone have to go see a psychiatrist since this had nothing to do with his condition? How long did you have to wait? The ratio of how they determine the pay (62, 66.6? a percentage of those???)

Thanks in advance. Disclaimer due to the raising of the ss fees...... boyfriend did not want to retire early. The medication makes him fall asleep for 15 minutes every 2 hours (sometimes more sleep time), unable to do his work due to shakey hand, his balance was becoming more off. He was actually becoming a liability to the employer.

Last edited by sasywtch; 01-16-2013 at 12:33 AM. Reason: updating
sasywtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

I have several friends with Chiari. They have also had to have a visit with a psychiatrist before approval. It must be more and more common. For them, the Dr. talks to them not only about depression they have as a result of the pain and other physical issues, but also they are getting an idea of memory loss, etc.

As for what he would receive if approved, I think it is on the report that is mailed out annually to everyone who pays in. I don't have one in front of me, but I think it lists what you will receive under SSDI and SS both.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 01:25 AM   #3
sasywtch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife View Post
I have several friends with Chiari. They have also had to have a visit with a psychiatrist before approval. It must be more and more common. For them, the Dr. talks to them not only about depression they have as a result of the pain and other physical issues, but also they are getting an idea of memory loss, etc.

As for what he would receive if approved, I think it is on the report that is mailed out annually to everyone who pays in. I don't have one in front of me, but I think it lists what you will receive under SSDI and SS both.
Thank you. He just told me that the psychiatrist mentioned he had put down on the questionaire he had trouble concentrating. She asked him some memory things.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:44 AM   #4
Happy 2 B Me
I have ears --just not Disney Ears.

[COLOR="Blue" SS disability benifits are --Full Benefits--- that is to say you are paid as if you retired at full retirement age. When you do reach retirement age you just continue getting benefits. I am not sure how Medicare works though -- sorry. I know it will start but not sure how long it takes. Yes yes get an attorney if you are denided. Make sure you get your appeal in asap. The attorney will apperciate that for sure. Dealing with the SS make sure you either turn into the SS office in your area and make sure you get the documents hand stamped. They will look at you as if you are an allien but turst me-- doing this could save you down the road and remember they work for YOU -- talk to a supervisor should you get a difficult SS employeee. But then to hear it from them they are all supervisors. I do not mean to offend anyone here if they work for for SS -- We sure have an issue here though. [/COLOR]
Happy 2 B Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
Caseheidi
DIS Veteran

Both my parents an Brother have been through the process in the last dozen years. None of them have had to have a psych evaluation? Maybe this is a more recent change. What was difficult for each of them was that they had to wait for 2 years from being declared disabled before they were eligible for Medicare. Frustrating as the could not work, so had no insurance and had sever medical issues that required expensive medical treatment?

As for the pay, it is usually less then he would have collected at 66.5 as they expect to be paying out for much longer. His work history and how much he was able to pay into SS will help it be more then someone who has never worked, but unfortunately it is not a lot.

DLR - Aug 1980, Aug 1985, May 1988, April 2002, Dec 2002, Dec 2004, Oct 2012

WDW - July/Aug 2001 (Honeymoon!), Oct 2004, Sept 2005, May 2006, Dec 2007, Dec 2008, Oct 2011
Caseheidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

The statement you get just before your birthday from Social Security lists how much your disablity payment would be each month if you qualify.

My MIL worked for a law fire that specialized in SS disability, and, in my opinion, the system is wonky.......it can be hard to get approval without an attorney.....and to be honest, a good attorney can get people who clearly are unqualified ....... qualified. But the process can take 6-9 months.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfd25wife

I had to see a psychologist too, and it was about how the pain affects my daily life. I was 25, I used an attorney and was approved in 5 months. The attorney just gets a share of the back pay they owe you.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:36 AM   #8
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

What everyone else said. Except that the process here in NY initial and appealing can take years - yes years. From the time my sister applied, was denied, appealed, had two hearings - it took three years - unfortunately my sister passed by then. My mom collected what was owed to her minus the 25% for the attorney (who did not do much in my opinion - but that is another story). Perhaps in other states the process is different? don't know. I hope so.

The years is also based on stories I have heard from more people here. They are supposed to be backed up. Reviews are also taking a lot longer than their projected time - if it's 3 years - it can take 4 yrs. etc.

If you have all the documentation and doctors all agree that he is disabled, I would recommend applying on his own first. If denied, yes, contact a lawyer right away and appeal.

Good luck!

Upcoming/planned trips:
March - SSR
October BCV F & W - 4 N. DCL Dream Double Dip

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaS
What everyone else said. Except that the process here in NY initial and appealing can take years - yes years. From the time my sister applied, was denied, appealed, had two hearings - it took three years - unfortunately my sister passed by then. My mom collected what was owed to her minus the 25% for the attorney (who did not do much in my opinion - but that is another story). Perhaps in other states the process is different? don't know. I hope so.

The years is also based on stories I have heard from more people here. They are supposed to be backed up. Reviews are also taking a lot longer than their projected time - if it's 3 years - it can take 4 yrs. etc.

If you have all the documentation and doctors all agree that he is disabled, I would recommend applying on his own first. If denied, yes, contact a lawyer right away and appeal.

Good luck!
I lived in NY when I was approved in 5 months. It took my mom 2 years in the late 90s, early 2000 though. It really just depends.

My old coworkers husband has Parkinson's and he was approved within a few months too.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #10
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

They were sent to a psychologist - not a psychiatrist - for a testing procedure.

This is how my dad makes the bulk of his salary.

And it is very hard to get approved. I have a friend who has a daughter with Rett's Syndrome. She will never walk. She will never talk. She cannot voluntarily move any part of her body. She has no control over bodily functions. They were denied.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Just to note, Social Security does not mail out benefit statements anymore.

Your husband can get his online. He needs to do this and check his recorded contributions. It will also tell you on there how much he will collect under disability when he qualifies.

http://www.ssa.gov/mystatement/
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
leight
Making out in the halls in high school was a necessity

My cousin is going thru this process. She is permanently disabled after several spinal surgeries. She resides in NYC and it appears to be one of the hardest places to get approved. She applied 8/11 and still has yet to have her first hearing.

When I was a caseworker for the mentally ill in the 90's, my clients generally applied and it took 2-3 yrs to get final approval and back pay. This was on LI and since they were in a community residence program- they were required to sign over these large checks to the program to repay their fees - I remember many being over 30k. (we paid them back the difference between what they owed the program and the excess).

Its not an easy process. I have Lupus with Nephritis complications. I was told I was a candidate for SSD, but my family can't afford for me not to work while the process unfolds. Its sad that those of us who should be able to qualify have to jump thru so many hoops and hire attorneys to qualify for the benefits we've supported our entire working life.

OP- good luck.

dhmedd13dd 112.59
leight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #13
kim929
DIS Veteran

I think it also depends on who is processing the claim. My dbf had cancer it took her a yr. she was denied, hired a lawyer to appeal, won on the appeal.

Another person I know took a few years and hired an attorney then finally was approved.

I also know someone who applied the middle of Nov and was approved a month later they had an attorney from the start. That is why I think it depends on the person doing the claim.

All of them were under 50 and was approved at the amount on their statement for if you were disabled now.

Good luck. it's a stressful process.
kim929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Tea Party View Post
They were sent to a psychologist - not a psychiatrist - for a testing procedure.

This is how my dad makes the bulk of his salary.

And it is very hard to get approved. I have a friend who has a daughter with Rett's Syndrome. She will never walk. She will never talk. She cannot voluntarily move any part of her body. She has no control over bodily functions. They were denied.
Unless she has a work history, very unlikely with Rett's, she won't get SSD. SSI is another matter.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #15
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

I am in NYS. My SSD started 3 months after my short-term ended. I was approved first time. Yes I went to a psychologist (sp) and other doctors that were requested by SSD.

I believe the physical capacities doctor was paid to give you a bad report. All the other SSD doctors ripped apart his paperwork. What I am trying to say no matter what, I just did what they asked.

I receive an amount that I believe was acceptable. Medicare kicked in after two years of receiving payments. So if your back payment is for 12 months (1 year) you would qualify on the 13 month after your first check. It is dated from when you first apply. Payment is automatically taken out for medicare unless you fall into a small group that has other insurance etc. There is a part D for prescriptions that is an additional cost. If you are in a low income family you can apply for assistance to help pay for your medicare and part D.

All payment are now electronic and you will need a savings and or checking account to direct deposit.

You can get reviewed to make sure there are no changes and paperwork is time sensitive. I was reviewed in my 3rd. year and I think around the 5th. year. Then I received a letter that they were backed up during my next review and I was being skipped over. The last letter I received stated that I no longer had a worker and to just call the direct line if there were any questions and I would be forwarded based on my last name.

I know that others are denied for strange reasons and some are approved immediately.

I hope the process is quick for you and that the transition is smooth. I actually did have a hard time with this, thus the pysch visit was important to me.
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: