Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
alliesmommy
Just the two of us

Questions about special order cakes

We are sailing in 37 days (SQUEEE!!!) on our first ever Disney Cruise aboard the magic. My DD will be celebrating her 6th birthday on the 4th night of the cruise. I am thinking of ordering a cake for dinner that night. I've read mixed reviews about taste and presentation.

So, my questions are:

A. Am I able to personalize what is put on the cake (like Alice in Wonderland, etc)?

B. With all the dessert options available, is it really worth the extra $$?

C. What is the "special" dessert offered for celebrations?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

Depending on the cake ordered you can request what you want written on the cake. The smaller ones and mickey ones do not have that option. They are not allowed to add decorations to the cake. You could add something after they bring it to your table I suppose.

There are a lot of desert options. There is something about a birthday cake though for me and my family.

The celebration dessert they bring out is a chocolate mousse with a chocolate ribbon on it that says happy birthday. It has Mickey Confetti (sp?) sprinkles on it.

This is the only picture we managed to get of my dad's birthday cake.

ry=400 by peachygreen2010, on Flickr

Someone posted the mousse the other day. I don't have a picture of it.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #3
tinkmom2
DIS Veteran

See this thread:http://www.disboards.com/showthread....3038800&page=2

Private Meeting with Donald and Friends DCL http://youtu.be/UISHRa8lScM
BBB The Reveal http://youtu.be/AOjMTF9YBtk
tinkmom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

If you want a cake that you can cut and share a piece with everyone, you have to order the cake. As noted, some can be personalized but others not--it depends on what you order.

If you just want a piece of cake for the birthday person, that can be arranged. If cake is not on the dinner menu, they always have it as "cake of the day" thru room service. Another option would be to order the correct number of "cake of the day" desserts and do a birthday celebration in your room earlier in the day.

The mousse dessert is "just ok," but it is really no worse than the old "standard cake" was.

Whatever you do, confirm your plans with the head server on the first night (or go to "dining changes" to confirm if your planned celebration is the first night). Things have a way of getting lost between reservations and the actual people who will carry out your plans!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #5
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

disembarking ship with leftover cake?

my dd's birthday is actually the day we arrive back to port. We plan on celebrating the day before on CC. If we were to order her a special cake for dinner that night so they could sing, etc, and we have leftovers, I know you can take them back to the room.

My question: since we are disembarking the next morning, am I allowed to take the cake off the ship then? We are staying that day of the actual bday in Cocoa Beach and some cake that night would be nice as well!

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #6
faithtrustpixie
Mouseketeer

My DD6 celebrated her birthday on the Dream last year. She was pleased with the fancy dessert they gave her and didn't miss a cake at all. I think she was also quite happy to spend the money (which I would have spent on a cake) on a keepsake from the gift shop instead.

Travel safely and have fun!!
faithtrustpixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: