Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #1
NeverlandCrew
Trying Our Best to Never Grow Up

Birth certificates enough?

I know it says that all we have to bring for check in is a "copy" of each passenger's birth certificate and a photo id...but is that right? We leave in a week for a 4 night Bahama cruise and although the agent assured me that this is all we need, I want to be absolutely certain!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It says a CERTIFIED copy. This is a copy obtained from the state where the birth took place. It is NOT a copy that someone slapped on a copy machine.

In the past, they had a raised seal, sometimes with a clerk's signature. Now many states us a hologram or other device to show that it is a certified copy. If it did not come from a governmental agency responsible for birth registrations, it isn't want you need.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #3
disneyfan19712006
DIS Veteran

Birth Certificates

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandCrew View Post
I know it says that all we have to bring for check in is a "copy" of each passenger's birth certificate and a photo id...but is that right? We leave in a week for a 4 night Bahama cruise and although the agent assured me that this is all we need, I want to be absolutely certain!
You do need an original birth certificate. A photocopy will not work.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:56 AM   #4
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

FWIW, it does actually *not* include "certified".

Quote:
Government-issued photo ID along with one of the following:

Original or copy of their state issued birth certificate

I'm sure they MEAN certified copy, but they don't say it. Which, I'm also sure, is part of the confusion. (and, of course, the "original" is simply the originally-made certified copy of the information that is held by the government about your birth, but that's just me being annoying, LOL)

The only problem with the BC is that if there is a sudden urgent need for you to get back home or just to the US, you can't fly from the Bahamas until you get an emergency passport. But if everything is just fine, then it's just fine.

I, personally, will bring the passport. But I've been known to use it as ID to fly domestically; it's just an easier form of ID when traveling, IMO.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 AM   #5
firemantnt52
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverlandCrew View Post
We have three times with DCL and only used our birth certificates and d/l. We are getting ready to do a b2b in February and I am doing the again. As long as you leave from a port in the US and return to the same port, all you need is your b/c and d/l.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
NeverlandCrew
Trying Our Best to Never Grow Up

Thanks. I'm one of those "oldies" with an old fashioned typed (no fancy cards/hologram!) birth certificate. It's official and the original but I didn't want to chance anything!!!

We took advantage of a super-last minute deal as FL residents so there was no time to apply for passports.
Old 01-03-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

ALSO bring a marriage license for the wife if this applies. For our last cruise we only brought our ID and birth certificate and the lady ALMOST didn't let me board because my birth certificate obviously has my maiden name. So lesson learned....bringing a copy of my marriage license next time. I don't remember bringing it for our 1st cruise...hmm.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
ALSO bring a marriage license for the wife if this applies. For our last cruise we only brought our ID and birth certificate and the lady ALMOST didn't let me board because my birth certificate obviously has my maiden name. So lesson learned....bringing a copy of my marriage license next time. I don't remember bringing it for our 1st cruise...hmm.
Wow, I've never heard of this being a problem. Everyone has a birth certificate in their maiden name, and a marriage license is not on the list of required documents!

However, it never hurts to have more than you actually need.

Can you be more specific about "almost" didn't let you board? I've certainly never heard of anyone being denied boarding or required to show a marriage license. Did your photo ID first/middle names match the birth certificate? Did the last name on the photo ID match the cruise reservation?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Wow, I've never heard of this being a problem. Everyone has a birth certificate in their maiden name, and a marriage license is not on the list of required documents!

However, it never hurts to have more than you actually need.

Can you be more specific about "almost" didn't let you board? I've certainly never heard of anyone being denied boarding or required to show a marriage license. Did your photo ID first/middle names match the birth certificate? Did the last name on the photo ID match the cruise reservation?
Yeah that's why I don't remember this from our 1st cruise, but it was back in 2002 our 2nd cruise was in 2009. I'm not sure if we brought our marriage license the 1st time. I thought we just had our ID and birth cert. She asked for my marriage license and I thought she was joking. She was very nice luckily, she said technically she shouldn't let me board. She called someone else over and explained....he was kind of rude but all was fine and we got on.
Yes, my first and middle name matched, it was just my last name.
DS~2
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
FWIW, it does actually *not* include "certified".

I'm sure they MEAN certified copy, but they don't say it. Which, I'm also sure, is part of the confusion. (and, of course, the "original" is simply the originally-made certified copy of the information that is held by the government about your birth, but that's just me being annoying, LOL)

The only problem with the BC is that if there is a sudden urgent need for you to get back home or just to the US, you can't fly from the Bahamas until you get an emergency passport. But if everything is just fine, then it's just fine.

I, personally, will bring the passport. But I've been known to use it as ID to fly domestically; it's just an easier form of ID when traveling, IMO.
Yes, the DCL website just says "Original or copy". But the cruise document book we received with our luggage tags and info says "original or certified copy".

I think the website just hasn't caught up with the requirement.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 PM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Yes, the DCL website just says "Original or copy". But the cruise document book we received with our luggage tags and info says "original or certified copy".

I think the website just hasn't caught up with the requirement.

Wow, they leave it a bit late, don't they? By that time, you're just about out of time if it turns out you only have a photocopy.

sidenote: my TA just said she's sending off our documents today, yay! So I'll get to see that wording first-hand. We have passports, but still. Info is good.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:03 PM   #12
LadyLvsTramp
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Had Passports never used them took Birth Cert. in the past

We have always used Birth Cert. in the past with our children. This past cruise we both got passports but never took them out of the holders. We even had copies of them but only needed our DCL ID to get on and off the ship. I think the need for Passports is over rated. I do believe our Birth Cert. are originals and have raised seals.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:11 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLvsTramp View Post
We have always used Birth Cert. in the past with our children. This past cruise we both got passports but never took them out of the holders. We even had copies of them but only needed our DCL ID to get on and off the ship. I think the need for Passports is over rated. I do believe our Birth Cert. are originals and have raised seals.
You don't need a passport on a closed loop cruise PROVIDED you actually return to the US on the ship. In the event of an emergency that requires you to remain on an island for medical care or fly back to the US early, you DO need a passport. SO...each individual can decide whether they are worth the cost if they will only be used on the cruise.

You will not be denied admission to the US...you will need to jump thru the hoops to get an emergency passport from a US consulate or embassy in the event of an emergency situation. It just adds another bit of stress to what must already be a stressful situation.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:22 PM   #14
yaddakal
Mouseketeer

FYI our daughter was adopted from Guatemala and we were told she will need a passport by Disney bc there was an adopted child who had a lot of trouble boarding not that long ago...., so for us we are just all getting passports to be safe.

Disney All Star Movies May 2009
Disney Port Orleans Riverside 2010
Disney Coronado Springs/Dream Cruise May 2013
Booked for Fantasy August 2014
yaddakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #15
pannm
Mouseketeer

Another thing to think about is what you need in case of an emergency. I mean, I KNOW they don't happen all that often, but they DO HAPPEN. If some one in your party needed to be brought to a local port's hospital and you need to miss the rest of your cruise- then, you will be majorly stressed because you MUST have a passport to ENTER into the U.S.A. Sure, if you come back on the ship- it wouldn't be an issue. But try getting on a flight headed for the USA with out a passport after just having an emergency. That will add a lot of stress and un-wanted pain.

Feb/March 2013...FIRST CRUISE (certainly NOT the last!)...July 2012, 4 nights Paridise Pier Disneyland...Sept. 2011, 4 nights pop century 3 nights AKL...March 2011, 11 nights pop century on dinning plan...May 2010, 8 nights all-inclusive Dreams Cabo...December 2010, 5 nights-Royal Pacific Universal resort...October 2009, 5 nights Wilderness Lodge...February 2009, 10 nights split between pop century and animal kingdom lodge...December 2007, 7 nights pop century
pannm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: