Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #1
EvanDisney
Earning My Ears

Young first time cruiser concern

After sometime of stalking this website i finally decided to become a member

This will be my first cruise and I'm sure i could ask a million questions but i'll just start with my main concerns.

1. I sorta get how embarkation works but why all the different times you can choose to get on board? and how dose disembarkation work? very clueless there

2. As i said on the thread, I'm very young cruiser. It will just be my 19 year old self and my 18 year old girlfriend and we share concerns with dinning and table mates. Don't get me wrong we love to talk about almost anything but we feel like it may be awkward to be sitting with a family or a couple way older then us. We just don't think there really be any couples our age on the ship. Are we over worrying or dose this sound about right?

3. Considering we are so young, will we be treated any different then your average cruiser there? i mean i don't think so because honestly the only thing we can't do is drink. What are your thoughts?

4. Any tips/advice that you think would help with anything be greatly apperciated! if it helps we are sailing out of Miami on the Wonder! Thanks!
EvanDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanDisney View Post
After sometime of stalking this website i finally decided to become a member

This will be my first cruise and I'm sure i could ask a million questions but i'll just start with my main concerns.

1. I sorta get how embarkation works but why all the different times you can choose to get on board? and how dose disembarkation work? very clueless there

2. As i said on the thread, I'm very young cruiser. It will just be my 19 year old self and my 18 year old girlfriend and we share concerns with dinning and table mates. Don't get me wrong we love to talk about almost anything but we feel like it may be awkward to be sitting with a family or a couple way older then us. We just don't think there really be any couples our age on the ship. Are we over worrying or dose this sound about right?

3. Considering we are so young, will we be treated any different then your average cruiser there? i mean i don't think so because honestly the only thing we can't do is drink. What are your thoughts?

4. Any tips/advice that you think would help with anything be greatly apperciated! if it helps we are sailing out of Miami on the Wonder! Thanks!
1. When DCL built the terminal in Port Canaveral, they only had the Magic & Wonder. After the Dream & Fantasy came into service, the terminal was too small to handle all the people who wanted to be first on the ship. So DCL started the Port Arrival Times. They basically made the numbers be more spread out arriving at the port. Disembarkation - well, it's a bit different at each port. Basically, the last night you place your bags outside your room to be delivered to the terminal in the morning (remember to leave out clothes to wear the next morning). After breakfast, you leave the ship, claim your bags in the terminal and go through customs. Depending on where you're going next (the airport, Walt Disney World, or home) what follows is different.

2. DCL does a very good job matching table mates. I'm sure there will be young families (parents close to your ages) or families with kids close to your ages. If you're really concerned about a bad match up, you can request a table just for the 2 of you. If it's possible, DCL will try to accomodate such a request. Or just wait until you meet your tablemates, if it's really a bad match, you can ask your Head Server to reseat you.

3. Service onboard DCL is very good. I don't think you'll have any problems with how you are treated.

4. My number 1 tip is always - don't try to do everything, you can't. Just enjoy what you can get done. There's always your next cruise to catch the stuff you couldn't get done on the first! #2 - layout out the clothes you think you'll need onboard. Pack 1/2 of them. Seriously, you don't need a lot. Most people overpack.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

When DCL first started, you checked in and got in a LONG line and waited to board in roughly the order you checked in. The problem was that you could be standing there for an hour--you couldn't get out of line to go to the restroom, check in kids, see characters, etc. unless you had a family member who could "hold" your place in line. If you were cruising as a single parent, you were in trouble if your kid wouldn't/couldn't just stand there......so they came up with the boarding cards. These allowed all of us to move around the terminal and do something other than stand in line while we waited to board. When the new, bigger ships launched, they couldn't have all the people in the terminal who could potentially show up--again, the solution was the "boarding times" which are really more accurately "planned terminal arrival times." These spread out the number of people arriving at any given period, making the process flow more smoothly.

If you arrive any time after 12:30 or 1, you will have essentially no waiting. You'll check in and board in a very smooth fashion.

2. DCL matches up people of similar ages and family situations. I would expect that you'd either be seated with other young cruisers or with a family with young adult children.

3. I would expect you to be treated with respect and as any other cruiser. There are 2 things you can't do as an "under 21." You can't purchase alcohol on board and you can't have a minor who is not your child in your cabin. Other than that, you can do anything any other adult can do on the ship.

4. Remember to relax and not to over schedule things...and you can't do it all on the first cruise! Be selective and enjoy.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #4
brianvdb
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanDisney View Post

My wife (then girlfriend) and I cruised for the first time on DCL 13 years ago when we were both 22 years old. We were seated with two other couples in their mid-to-late 20's. Wasn't a big deal at all... they were very nice people. We have been on the other end of that equation as well (late 20's, dining with another couple around 20)... also a fun time.

Like others have said, DCL does a good job seating couples with couples, families with families... and trying to match ages as best they can.

You'll see other people your age on board, even couples. Many of them will be travelling with family, but they are probably as worried as you are about finding folks the same age.

Relax, have fun, be confident, and don't worry about it. Your age will only be a big deal if you make it one.
brianvdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Are you already booked?

I was under the impression that it was maritime law that there had to be someone over the age of 21 registered in the room, even if you are married. At least that is what I was told by dcl when I was sailing with a group of 20 yo. I had to shuffle the adults and list 1 adult in each room. This also included my 20 yo daughter who was sailing with HER children.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #6
EvanDisney
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkie View Post
Are you already booked?

I was under the impression that it was maritime law that there had to be someone over the age of 21 registered in the room, even if you are married. At least that is what I was told by dcl when I was sailing with a group of 20 yo. I had to shuffle the adults and list 1 adult in each room. This also included my 20 yo daughter who was sailing with HER children.

Yes I been booked for quite a while now. Not easy to pay for a cruise as a college student with a low paying
Job lol. Disney a rules are
Everyone in the cabin must be 18 and older OR if there
Are any minors someone in the cabin must be 21 or older. Says in on how to book a cruise rules on there offical website thanks for the encouraging post so far everyone!
EvanDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #7
samily
DIS Veteran

I just want to add if you are interested in meeting others in your age group, check your Navigator (daily schedule of events) for Club 18-21. It will be listed under the adult events. It is for 18-21 year olds to meet & socialize with each other and the cruise entertainment staff. I think they meet up in one of the nightclubs each night and have some lunches scheduled together throughout the cruise. At least go the first night and see what it is about.

Enjoy your cruise!
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are you already booked?

I'm not sure, the only thing the DCL site (cruise contract) says is that minors under the age of 18 traveling without their parents must have someone 21 or over booked in the room.

AFAIK, you can book a room on DCL as long as you are 18 or over.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Are you already booked?

Not so. The restriction is that you must be 21 to have a MINOR in a cabin with you if the minor is not legally your child.

18s can book a cabin without a 21 year old, provided everyone in the cabin is 18, 19, or 20.

Two 19 year old parents could book a cruise with their child, but not with the child of a friend.

I chaperoned a group of high school grads doing a cruise--the issue was making sure that those who were still 17 were in rooms with an adult; those who were 18 were in rooms with other 18s.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:01 AM   #10
Sparkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Not so. The restriction is that you must be 21 to have a MINOR in a cabin with you if the minor is not legally your child.

18s can book a cabin without a 21 year old, provided everyone in the cabin is 18, 19, or 20.

Two 19 year old parents could book a cruise with their child, but not with the child of a friend.

I chaperoned a group of high school grads doing a cruise--the issue was making sure that those who were still 17 were in rooms with an adult; those who were 18 were in rooms with other 18s.
This may be what they were trying to explain to me and I misunderstood. I booked through DVC so I wasn't speaking directly with DCL.

I had 4 cabins. There were originally 4 people over 21. 1 dropped out. So when I tried to add in a 20 yo to a cabin that had a 17 yo already registered I was given the over 21 info. I misunderstood or for one reason or another must not have had the right combo of people. It worked out, I just added my brother to that room (the 17 yo was his child).

As far as info for you Evan, I'm sure you will have a great time.
Sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: