Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #31
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
bolding is mine....
No, not really...If a parent feels comfortable allowing their child go alone they certainly are allowed to. Kids who have sign in/out privileges can attend. I think it would be better to say this is the only time PARENTS or other adults are allowed in the clubs because really the kids (hopefully only older ones!!) don't Have to Have someone to come in with them. It's just Disney is not responsible for 'watching' them.

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Some one else will have to chime in on that, as I have no personal experience with it. I have read here that in the area that is having the Open House, an adult or parent must be attending with the child. Which makes sense to me, otherwise you have young children playing in an area with many unknown adults (not DCL CMs) and no adult looking out for them.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #32
uscgmouse
Mouseketeer

Since you are getting different info maybe you can try and contact someone at the Cruise head quarters. I would think that if you can provide someone to assist your nephew that Disney would do what they could to allow this. It may be due to insurance or something that they cannot allow someone to be a "para" for your nephew.

My brother is disabled and uses a wheelchair. I have learned from experience to go to the top of the chain (employee wise) and get your request and answer in writing. Let them know you are going to switch cruise lines if they cannot accomodate you and your party.

Good Luck! I hope your newphew and your family has an amazing cruise!

From Disney Cruise website:
More Information and Special Reservations
If you would like to request accommodations for Guests with disabilities, please discuss your needs with the reservationist at the time of booking.

For questions and more information please call (407) 566-3500 [voice] or (407) 566-7455 [TTY]. If you are under 18 years of age, you must have your parent or guardian's permission to dial this number

Here is some info reguarding other cruise line and the services they provide children with disabilities:

http://cruisewithmike.wordpress.com/...-disabilities/

http://www.sath.org/ Society for accessibly travel

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 06:03 PM   #33
Never to old
DIS Veteran

I thank everyone for their comments and suggestions. You have given me hope that the open house may work. Unfortunately when DH and I went to one on the Fantasy I found things were not on and there were only adults looking/playing. Well at least my DH was playing. Now this was a early sailing so maybe they didn't have their act together. I found it hard to believe that the potato head was already missing pieces, lol. I am sure that we can make things work. After all its only 3 nights. I appreciate the suggestions for checking out the excursions. We are just planning on staying on the ship at Nassau, probably along with everyone else.

I didn't realize that they would make accommodations for the aqua duct. Not sure they would want to carry him up all those steps.

Does anyone recall if you can get to mini golf and the other sports areas by elevator? We have been on both the Dream and the Fantasy and I just can't recall if we had to do steps to get there.
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #34
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
bolding is mine....
No, not really...If a parent feels comfortable allowing their child go alone they certainly are allowed to. Kids who have sign in/out privileges can attend. I think it would be better to say this is the only time PARENTS or other adults are allowed in the clubs because really the kids (hopefully only older ones!!) don't Have to Have someone to come in with them. It's just Disney is not responsible for 'watching' them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Some one else will have to chime in on that, as I have no personal experience with it. I have read here that in the area that is having the Open House, an adult or parent must be attending with the child. Which makes sense to me, otherwise you have young children playing in an area with many unknown adults (not DCL CMs) and no adult looking out for them.

PrincessShmoo -- that is how it has been presented both here on the board and my experience on the Fantasy last April. When we looked into the club area the CM asked if she could help us I told her that DD just wanted to see what the club area looked like. She said that it was open house time and since I was with her, she could go in and look around with me. She was 11 and in the Edge. The point of the open house was that no child is there on their own without a responsible adult with them so that other adults could not interfere with them while in the club area.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:34 PM   #35
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchlovestink

bolding is mine....

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo -- that is how it has been presented both here on the board and my experience on the Fantasy last April. When we looked into the club area the CM asked if she could help us I told her that DD just wanted to see what the club area looked like. She said that it was open house time and since I was with her, she could go in and look around with me. She was 11 and in the Edge. The point of the open house was that no child is there on their own without a responsible adult with them so that other adults could not interfere with them while in the club area.
Well on the Dream, they were letting kids in and out by themselves. But then again, on the Dream they (on occasion) let unpottytrained children in the clubs as exceptions! So I guess anything goes on the Dream and the Fantasy runs a tighter ship!

stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:38 PM   #36
IncredibleboysMom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Does anyone recall if you can get to mini golf and the other sports areas by elevator? We have been on both the Dream and the Fantasy and I just can't recall if we had to do steps to get there.
YES! The sports deck is accessible by the aft elevators, however only two of the four in the aft bank go to that floor. I'm thinking that it is the forward-most two (across from each other), just pop your head in to make sure that the one you're on has a "13" button.

I also wanted to add that on our last Fantasy cruise in October, DH and I were called to the Lab as my son had a "protein spill" (which is how vomit will forever be known in my house ). Though the staff was taking excellent care of him, and had already changed his shirt, etc...We were not only permitted, but were ushered into the bathroom to be at his side. The point is, we were able to go to our son when he needed us, and not barred from entering the club. They are reasonable in the rule enforcement

I really hope that you try DCL with your nephew, especially for just a 3 night. There is MUCH more for kids than just the clubs. Disney does a great job making special people feel, well special! I'm betting he has the time of his life!
Disney Magic 4/05, 9/08, 11/13
IncredibleboysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #37
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

I have an elevator tip for anyone using a wheelchair, stroller (us) or any other reason not being able to use the stairs.

If you are having a difficult time getting on the elevator because everyone is going in one direction/elevators are full by the time they reach your floor (example after shows, getting on/off ship at ports, embarkation/disembarkation), then call the elevator going in the opposite direction of the crowd! This way, you can get on a relatively empty elevator and not have to fight the crowd (since they are going in the opposite directions) and then ride the elevator up/down and then back to your destination.

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #38
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

Whoa. Since when are parents not allowed in during "secured programming hours"? I'm glad my kids are older now, I liked being able to go in and talk to them a bit or see what they were doing. Not like I stayed more than a few minutes but still.
Guess I'll have to keep that in mind when I have grandbabies someday (hopefully not anytime soon please though LOL)
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #39
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Bears
I have an elevator tip for anyone using a wheelchair, stroller (us) or any other reason not being able to use the stairs.

If you are having a difficult time getting on the elevator because everyone is going in one direction/elevators are full by the time they reach your floor (example after shows, getting on/off ship at ports, embarkation/disembarkation), then call the elevator going in the opposite direction of the crowd! This way, you can get on a relatively empty elevator and not have to fight the crowd (since they are going in the opposite directions) and then ride the elevator up/down and then back to your destination.
we learned that!! and DH also figured out how to press the buttons once inside to get it to reverse directions!! If the elevator is empty, the other people get on with us, they LOVE it! Seriously... I still cannot figure out the series that he presses that makes it work, but it does! Of course he doesn't do it, if there are other people already on the elevator.

stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #40
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo
Whoa. Since when are parents not allowed in during "secured programming hours"? I'm glad my kids are older now, I liked being able to go in and talk to them a bit or see what they were doing. Not like I stayed more than a few minutes but still.
Guess I'll have to keep that in mind when I have grandbabies someday (hopefully not anytime soon please though LOL)
It's no big deal to get a pass to walk in to check on and talk to your kids and/or see what they're doing. It's just to cut down on the opportunity for other parents who you don't know interacting with your kids. Same logic that's behind background checks to help out at schools.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #41
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo View Post
Since Dec 2011. That's when DCL revamped the ages and policies for the kids clubs.
Oceaneers Club/Lab ages 3-12
Edge ages 11-14
Vibe ages 14-17
18 and over (regardless if still in HS) ADULT

The Club/Lab has Open House on one side or the other 1 or 2 hours once or twice a day. The alternate side is Secured Programming for those parents who still just want to drop off their children.

During Secured Programming only DCL CMs are allowed in the kids areas. During Open House, families are permitted to participate with their children in the programming.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #42
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Bears View Post

We have done this since 2003...even though the kids have long ago outgrown their strollers.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #43
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
It's no big deal to get a pass to walk in to check on and talk to your kids and/or see what they're doing. It's just to cut down on the opportunity for other parents who you don't know interacting with your kids. Same logic that's behind background checks to help out at schools.
Oh ok. It sounded like from other posts (even after yours!!) that you aren't allowed in -at all- not even for a second. And that seemed odd to me. Granted I never spent much time there- either my kids would say they wanted to go with me after I talked to them a moment and we left together (checking them out ofcourse) or they'd be all "go away mom" with their body language and "I'm having fun mom" type comments if they were busy into something. But not allowed in at all seemed weird. So I was thinking in order to talk to them I'd have to call them on the wave phone or interrupt what they are doing and have them come to me? I can see a child who waited their turn for a computer being highly peeved if they had to get off and come talk to me LOL
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #44
NCConch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo
: But not allowed in at all seemed weird. So I was thinking in order to talk to them I'd have to call them on the wave phone or interrupt what they are doing and have them come to me? I can see a child who waited their turn for a computer being highly peeved if they had to get off and come talk to me LOL
It is not all about the kids fun (despite being a Disney cruise). It is about safety. I am an education administrator and appreciate their protocols. Even if an adult can be verified as a parent it is much more difficult to prove that they're not a predator.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #45
peachygreen
DIS Veteran

I was let into the club or lab to pick up my daughter everytime I went in there. I have a feeling it is just a lot easier for the parents to go get their children than for the counselors who don't necessarily know everyone's names to find the right child at any given time in a timely manner.
Sometimes she would tell me she wanted to stay and I would give her a time frame when I'd be back. Sometimes it was just time to go.

ETA - this was in July of 2012 on the Magic after they had changed the rules about no parents during supervised activites.

Family Trips to see the Mouse: WDW - October 2008, Nov 2012; DLR - May 2009, Oct 2012; DCL Magic - February 2011; DCL Magic - July 2012; DCL Fantasy - March 2013 Upcoming DCL - Wonder June 2014
peachygreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: