Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Disabled child in a wheelchair and the kids clubs

Hi! My 9 year old nephew who has cerebral palsy will be cruising with us in Sept. He has motor difficulties and uses a wheelchair. I have received conflicting information from Disney representatives regarding him using the kids club. We were told that they have a specially trained person on one day. The next day we were told no and that they can not provide him with a lot of help. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with a physically disabled child and the use of the kids club? Would an adult family member be able to go with him so that he could participate in the activities? Any suggestions, information and tidbits is appreciated.
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Never to old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never to old View Post
Hi! My 9 year old nephew who has cerebral palsy will be cruising with us in Sept. He has motor difficulties and uses a wheelchair. I have received conflicting information from Disney representatives regarding him using the kids club. We were told that they have a specially trained person on one day. The next day we were told no and that they can not provide him with a lot of help. I was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with a physically disabled child and the use of the kids club? Would an adult family member be able to go with him so that he could participate in the activities? Any suggestions, information and tidbits is appreciated.
During the regular Secured Programming, no adults other than DCL CMs are allowed to be in the club with the kids. During Open House hours, adults (parents) must be present for the child to attend.

AFAIK, they will do their best to assist your child during the Secured Programming hours, but you will not have a dedicated CM for that.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 08:20 PM   #3
NCConch
Mouseketeer

I have been wondering the same thing. My son will be 13 and is in a chair as well. I am sure it will depend on how "involved" the child is. Other than having doors held open he is rather independent.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
Never to old
DIS Veteran

My nephew is able to use switches and some levers but these need to be given to him. He is not able to participate without assistance from another person. In school he has a personal care assistant. If Disney can not provide someone and does not allow a family member to help then I feel they are not in compliance with the American disability act.
Polynesian 2008, Carribean Beach 2010, 2011, Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party 2010, Dream (March 2011), Wilderness Lodge, Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween and Food/Wine Festival 2011, Magic-NY to Canada June 2012, Fantasy-Eastern Caribbean August 2012, Wonder-Alaska July/Aug 2013, Dream- Bahamas September 2013.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My nephew is able to use switches and some levers but these need to be given to him. He is not able to participate without assistance from another person. In school he has a personal care assistant. If Disney can not provide someone and does not allow a family member to help then I feel they are not in compliance with the American disability act.
That may be, but the ships are registered in the Bahamas. The ADA doesn't apply.

DCL's compromise is the Open House hours when family members may participate in the club/lab with the child.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #6
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They may not actually have to follow the Americans with disability act as the ship is registered in the Bahamas, and I believe the actual ownership of the company is also of shore too.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
NCConch
Mouseketeer

The ADA is a little iffy in this area. Govt institutions have to do more than private care givers.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Thanks, might switch to carnival who has given assistance in the past. I had heard from other parents that Disney cruise line lacks in this area. I guess I was hoping that it wasn't true. I know that they do a great job in the parks.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:22 PM   #9
IncredibleboysMom
DIS Veteran

My seven year old has spina bifida and uses a wheelchair and forearm crutches. He has been on a Disney cruise every year of his life and loves the clubs. They are very accessible, but can be very crowded. While the counselors have always seemed very attentive and helpful, there is a large ratio of kids to adults. If your nephew has difficulty communicating, I would not leave him there. Is there another child in your party who could be his "buddy" in the club? I don't know what they are required to provide, but I doubt they have staff for a one on one situation unless you get that clarified ahead of time.

Have fun whatever you decide!
Disney Magic 4/05, 9/08, 11/13
IncredibleboysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #10
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Many years ago, we were on a cruise where the family provided a "nanny" to stay with a child using a motorized wheelchair. Unfortunately, under the policies instituted in December, 2011, this would no longer be permitted.

Per DCL policy, they cannot provide one on one care to any child in the programming. They do what they can to assure participation to all, but won't assign extra personnel to handle kids requiring assistance. And, as above, they are not required to comply with the ADA.

Bottom line, it really depends on what the child needs. If the child is basically independent, all will be well. If he or she requires a lot of assistance, it may not be possible. During "open house" hours, the child and a parent is welcome to participate in whatever is scheduled during that time. During secure programming hours, a parent or caregiver is not permitted. Yeah, one of those situations where the actions of a few spoil a situation for all. Sorry.

One suggestion--if you can cruise during a "non-busy" time, it may be better. Avoid Kids Sail Free cruises and holiday cruises as these have a ton of kids on them. While there is a maximum number of kids allowed in any age group, it is a high number. There are lots of cruises with relatively fewer kids, which equates to more time and attention from staff.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 AM   #11
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncredibleboysMom
My seven year old has spina bifida and uses a wheelchair and forearm crutches. He has been on a Disney cruise every year of his life and loves the clubs. They are very accessible, but can be very crowded. While the counselors have always seemed very attentive and helpful, there is a large ratio of kids to adults. If your nephew has difficulty communicating, I would not leave him there. Is there another child in your party who could be his "buddy" in the club? I don't know what they are required to provide, but I doubt they have staff for a one on one situation unless you get that clarified ahead of time.

Have fun whatever you decide!
I don't know if they would let his brother in because he is 14. Although my special needs nephew is 9, he looks much younger than that. We wanted him to have the opportunity to be with peers. Carnival in the past year allowed us to hire a staff member. Disney does not. They also give us conflicting information. I know he could go in during the open house, that is not the same. Things are not turned on and it is primarily adults checking out the space. So again no peer interaction. This is a tough decision.

Did you find that your son was able to navigate the rest of the ship in his wheelchair? Was there anything that was not accessible or was challenging?
Old 01-03-2013, 05:19 AM   #12
Never to old
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner
Many years ago, we were on a cruise where the family provided a "nanny" to stay with a child using a motorized wheelchair. Unfortunately, under the policies instituted in December, 2011, this would no longer be permitted.

Per DCL policy, they cannot provide one on one care to any child in the programming. They do what they can to assure participation to all, but won't assign extra personnel to handle kids requiring assistance. And, as above, they are not required to comply with the ADA.

Bottom line, it really depends on what the child needs. If the child is basically independent, all will be well. If he or she requires a lot of assistance, it may not be possible. During "open house" hours, the child and a parent is welcome to participate in whatever is scheduled during that time. During secure programming hours, a parent or caregiver is not permitted. Yeah, one of those situations where the actions of a few spoil a situation for all. Sorry.

One suggestion--if you can cruise during a "non-busy" time, it may be better. Avoid Kids Sail Free cruises and holiday cruises as these have a ton of kids on them. While there is a maximum number of kids allowed in any age group, it is a high number. There are lots of cruises with relatively fewer kids, which equates to more time and attention from staff.
I just wish they would let us hire one of their staff members. I just envision him being placed somewhere and forgotten. That wouldn't be fun or safe for him. We plan to sail in mid Sept. I am hoping that this will be a less crowed time with kids just heading back to school.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #13
Never to old
DIS Veteran

I think they have open house in the kids club on boarding day before the ship sails. Does anyone know if there might be kids there during that open house as opposed to the ones they do on cast away cay day?
Old 01-03-2013, 06:16 AM   #14
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't know if they would let his brother in because he is 14. Although my special needs nephew is 9, he looks much younger than that. We wanted him to have the opportunity to be with peers. Carnival in the past year allowed us to hire a staff member. Disney does not. They also give us conflicting information. I know he could go in during the open house, that is not the same. Things are not turned on and it is primarily adults checking out the space. So again no peer interaction. This is a tough decision.

Did you find that your son was able to navigate the rest of the ship in his wheelchair? Was there anything that was not accessible or was challenging?
I don't have any advice for you expect to correct the Open House information. Everything is on during Open House and there are kids and adults in there playing. Open House on embarkation day is a little different than the normal Open House. But you're right...there may not be much peer interaction since those are mostly families with children of various age groups.

There is Open House on embarkation day where anyone can check it out. We were there in August and our son (and lots of other kids and CMs) were in there playing and interacting while their parents were checking things out! There are Open House hours every day and not just that day and CC day.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
samily
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I think they have open house in the kids club on boarding day before the ship sails. Does anyone know if there might be kids there during that open house as opposed to the ones they do on cast away cay day?
We always stop buy the clubs on boarding day to get the kids their wristbands and there are always a lot of kids in there running around. It is usually free play, not many organized activities going on. I am not sure what you mean regarding open house on Castaway Cay day? We have been there a couple of times after we have returned from the island and there have always been a few kids in there at that time too.

Not sure if you are aware, but there are now open house times everyday, where sometimes they have specific activities scheduled so you can come in as a family and participate. They do flubber, make cookies, etc. If you don't want to do the activity, you don't have to. If the lab has open house, then all the kids in the secured program are moved to the club, and vice versa when the club has open house. I have also seen the Edge and Vibe clubs have open house times in the am.
"And so many nights I just dream of the ocean; God, I wish I was sailin' again; Oh, yesterdays are over my shoulder; So I can't look back for too long; There's just too much to see waiting in front of me, and I know that I just can't go wrong...." Jimmy Buffett
samily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: