Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
kappman
Mouseketeer

Values pros and cons

What are the pros/ cons of the value resorts are the rooms that small compared to moderates?
kappman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Depends what you are looking for. The rooms are slightly smaller at values. Other differences are hot tub at mods, TS restaurant at mods, dual vanities at some mods, full size mini fridge at mods, more subtle "adult like" themeing at mods. Depending on which mod you choose there are some added benefits like the boat to DTD from POFQ/POR and the gym/spa at CSR.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
LaniesMom
Mouseketeer

Have stayed at both levels, and these are my thoughts:
Values have what some might say "all Disney all the time/in-your-face" kind of theming. Also, the landscaping doesn't seem (to me) to be as lush at Values as it is at the Mods. All Mod pools have water slides.
CSR and POR are faves of ours because of the 2 queen beds, double vanity, lush grounds and water slides. Since I don't drive while I'm on a WDW vacation, I also like the covered bus stops at the Mods.
Next trip: May 2013--Happy Birthday to me! POR RGR

Me DH DD(4) DD(infant) our family is complete!
LaniesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #4
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
One of my main reasons for not staying at the values anymore is the comfort of the beds. The beds at Pop are now so hard, we had to change resorts. We couldn't sleep on them without waking up with a backache. We're hoping that the beds at POR will be a lot more comfortable. If you like a really really firm bed, you should be ok.
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #5
LadyLuck24
Mouseketeer

Which level to choose really depends on what is most important to you. The best reasons to choose value, IMHO, are the cost and the size of the food court. If you are planning to use the hotel as "just a place to sleep," I would stay value. The nice upgrades at the mods include better areas/nicer theme for "just hanging out" around the resort, and as a PP said, better pools. The food courts are pretty great in the mods too. I have stayed at CSR and POR and both were beautiful. I also stayed at Pop--great value, just not great for hanging out at. Not enough spots for relaxing in my opinion.
LadyLuck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
LaniesMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLuck24 View Post
I also stayed at Pop--great value, just not great for hanging out at. Not enough spots for relaxing in my opinion.
^^^this^^^ is why we prefer Mods over Values these days. We bring our girls back to the hotel mid-day to rest. One of us stays in the room and one lounges poolside or explores the resort. IMO, our experience is more relaxing at a Mod (specifically love CSR & POR)

Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
LaniesMom
Mouseketeer

double post, sorry!

Last edited by LaniesMom; 01-02-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: double post
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
alecshawn
WDW Fanatic

Pro's-Save lots of money.
Cons- None in my book...unless one is snooty.
alecshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #9
lynypixie
Mouseketeer

We haven't been there yet, but for me, it's the fact that you can get a suite in a value.

Getting 5 people in a basic room is too much for me. (and the only one that does it is POR, and you can't have a 5th bed AND the royal room)

DH (31), me(30), DS6, DD4 and DD2

2004 bachelorette party (offsite), 2005 with DH (offsite), 2006 quick visit to DLP. 2013 AOA LK suite with all the kids!
lynypixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:45 PM   #10
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecshawn View Post
I'm not snooty, but to each their own. Not liking a value does not make one snooty any more than one who does a cheapskate. I personally am not excited about brightly painted buildings, little landscape, no queen beds, no hot tubs, tour groups, cheer groups, and Pop Warner running about all over. For me, I would rather pay a few hundred more dollars and stay at a moderate or with the right discounts stay at a deluxe.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs

Last edited by goofy4prez; 01-02-2013 at 11:51 PM.
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #11
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alecshawn View Post
agreed 110%
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
awoogala
Mouseketeer

I loved POP.
Pros: great easy food court, easy access to bus stops, front desk, awesome store. easy for drink refills, bus stop right by food and store, so you can waste time nicely before a bus. My kids adored the theming. The buses were faster than the ones at the contemporary, or the boardwalk.
CONS: no pool slide, not the best beds, smaller rooms, motel vs. hotel feel to rooms. Some of the rooms can be a long walk(preferred gets you a lot closer)
(can't compare to a mod, we haven't tried any, but we've done deluxes)
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 AM   #13
LaniesMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4prez View Post
Not liking a value does not make one snooty any more than one who does a cheapskate. For me, I would rather pay a few hundred more dollars and stay at a moderate or with the right discounts stay at a deluxe.
Thank you!! I have never understood the values=not snooty vs. mods/deluxes=snooty argument. I have stayed at Values and they were great for me then. I just prefer not to at this point in my life.
I will pay the extra to get what I want out of my vacation. This does not make me "snooty".

Old 01-03-2013, 12:14 AM   #14
NewmanFamily6
Mouseketeer

Values are alot of fun and save $. My kids are older now though and really like pool slides. So if we aren't staying DVC then at least a mod.

Next trip: January 2015 @ All Star Sports
NewmanFamily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #15
HippieChickadee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaniesMom View Post
Thank you!! I have never understood the values=not snooty vs. mods/deluxes=snooty argument. I have stayed at Values and they were great for me then. I just prefer not to at this point in my life.
I will pay the extra to get what I want out of my vacation. This does not make me "snooty".
You're right. I shouldn't generalize. I'm sorry.

I am a DVC member and when we stay at a DVC resort we are magnets to the "snooty" people who discuss how much better it is because they are staying with their class of people (in so many words).

When we stay in a value (when points run out and we take an extra trip) we always have a great time and never run into people judging people.

Sorry I did.

btw, I actually liked the value rooms better for the two beds! SSR only has the queen with the pull out which is horrible!
HippieChickadee is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: