Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 PM   #16
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
we use simple zip ties. Yes they can be cut with scissors but they have to take the time so it is a bit of a deterrent. Not like they can just unzip it and rifle thru quickly! Plus it let's know if someone has been in the bag!! I would think the bigger issue of theft might be the older kids up to no good in the hallways late at night but that is JMHO. I would think the CMs would be on camera in the luggage rooms or always around another CM...just my thoughts....

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
Honestly, the only thing I've heard along that line is kind of the opposite, where kids stuck Mickey bars in someone's luggage, and it melted. What a mess! So I highly recommend locking all the big compartments and at least zip-locking any large outside pockets.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
One time after disembarking the Magic at Port Canaveral, we were waiting at the curbside pick-up area. Another family near us was waiting for their ride. When it arrived, they loaded their luggage into the back and realized they picked up an extra suitcase from the terminal. They just left the suitcase at the curb, and drove away.

Woody
Unbelievable. Have they no conscience?
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #18
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We've never had any problems either. We do use TSA locks on our luggage. We have always happened to be in our cabin when the luggage is delivered on day #1, so no worries there.

When you put the luggage out the last night of the cruise, it doesn't sit in the hall for long before it is loaded and carted off by the stateroom host.
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #19
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
One time after disembarking the Magic at Port Canaveral, we were waiting at the curbside pick-up area. Another family near us was waiting for their ride. When it arrived, they loaded their luggage into the back and realized they picked up an extra suitcase from the terminal. They just left the suitcase at the curb, and drove away.

Woody
Wow, that's awful. An abandoned suitcase taken by the wrong person can not only separate the rightful owner from their property but post 9/11 can be cause for alarm.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
ccemtperic
Earning My Ears

We have not had any problems either except at the port trying to find all of our luggage.
ccemtperic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 PM   #21
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

I have nothing of value in my suitcase so even if it got stolen it wouldn't bother me very much. If they want to steal my cell phone that I bought for $10 then steal away...
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I find the concept of there being nothing valuable in luggage to be an interesting one.

With as small a wardrobe as my husband and I have, we can have literally every basic piece of clothing we own in our luggage on a longer trip. It would cost quite a bit to replace it all at once. Therefore, it's valuable. And even if a thief couldn't get much for it, unlike an ipad, etc, even if that thief just tossed it once they realized there was nothing of value *for them*, that wouldn't change the value of the clothes for us.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #23
kcashner
DIS Veteran

While I've read of stupid vandalism to luggage (placing Mickey Bars inside!) and some instances of theft, these are certainly not common. As noted above, it is more likely that some careless person in the terminal will grab the wrong bag. DCL has eliminated this issue at MCO (by having tagged bags routed to Disney and never appearing on the luggage carousels), but it can happen at the terminal.

Yes, something as simple as a zip tie will deter most mischief--the perpetrator will look for an easier target.

However, it is quite rare. If you have concerns about loss of a bag in the terminal, you are free to take your luggage off the ship yourself on the last morning. You can add some safety to the last night procedure by placing your stuff out when you see your host removing bags and even watching till he gets your luggage (eliminates it sitting in the hall "unsupervised." Or you can just relax and say that it is rare and you are OK with the chance of a problem.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #24
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I find the concept of there being nothing valuable in luggage to be an interesting one.

With as small a wardrobe as my husband and I have, we can have literally every basic piece of clothing we own in our luggage on a longer trip. It would cost quite a bit to replace it all at once. Therefore, it's valuable. And even if a thief couldn't get much for it, unlike an ipad, etc, even if that thief just tossed it once they realized there was nothing of value *for them*, that wouldn't change the value of the clothes for us.
Believe me if they tried to sell my clothes they would be lucky to get two dollars for a suitcase of my clothes. We are lucky to live in Seattle where buying cheapo clothes at Costco is more than acceptable to wear to work.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: