Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 PM   #1
indyxray5
Earning My Ears

Theft ???

I hate to even bring this up but I have heard that your luggage is left outside your door upon arrival and that you leave it outside your door the night before disembarkation -- any worries about things getting stollen? I am not sure I could rest too easy with my luggage outside in the hall for anyone to grab.
indyxray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:01 PM   #2
erionm
DIS Veteran

We've never had any problems with items missing from our luggage.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by erionm View Post
We've never had any problems with items missing from our luggage.
Us either. We use the luggage locks. Yes, someone who really want's in will be able to, but if it's locked, they just may move on to an easier target.

Generally, once the luggage is placed outside your room, your room hosts whisk it off the the luggage room fairly quickly.

Here's a look at one of the luggage rooms.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
mrsromy
Earning My Ears

This is a common procedure across a lot of cruise lines...I've never had any issues with any of the sailings I've been on. You can carry off the smaller items; I always carry off any small bags and carry-ons and just leave the large suitcase out in the hall.

That being said, be sure to keep any and all valuables with you, including any medications that you'll need the next day since you won't have access to them until you retrieve your suitcases upon disembarkation.
mrsromy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Is it possible? Yes
Is it likely? No, and the stateroom hosts do try to move it without letting it sit out there for hours.
If you aren't comfortable with leaving your luggage out, you have the option of keeping it in your stateroom and bringing it off the ship yourself in the morning.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

With 1,000's and 1,000's of CM's working for DCL, I am sure there has to be a bad apple or two. I has seen posts where a OP has said that something was stolen, but where and when and how is always a debated item.

I have never had a problem, or read of anyone being arrested stealing from luggage,(there somthing about a phone stolen a year or so ago) but that doesn't mean it hasn't or can't happen.

Bottom line, this is so rarely ever discussed or brought up, means its a very....very....very rare possbility!. Thousands of guests leave the bag in the passageways to be picked up and never have a issue.

Lugage HAS to go though xray during boarding and then is left in the hall or your cadin. Dembrackation you can carry it ashore yourselve's if you feel safer.

I would not however pack anything of great value in a bag outside my room, a little common sense here can prevent a big problem.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
indyxray5
Earning My Ears

Thanks guys! I will hope for the best and not worry about it too much
indyxray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyxray5
we use simple zip ties. Yes they can be cut with scissors but they have to take the time so it is a bit of a deterrent. Not like they can just unzip it and rifle thru quickly! Plus it let's know if someone has been in the bag!! I would think the bigger issue of theft might be the older kids up to no good in the hallways late at night but that is JMHO. I would think the CMs would be on camera in the luggage rooms or always around another CM...just my thoughts....

Posted from Disney Forums Reader for Android
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #9
Thnlk
Mouseketeer

we use TSA approved luggage locks. If you look around the internet you can find them pretty cheap. Once in a while we will find a note from the TSA saying they went through the bags and they are still locked

Disneyland Tokyo 1990
Disneyland California 2009
Disney Wester Caribbean Cruise 2011/2013/2015
Disney World 2011 / 2012 / 2014
Disney Eastern Carribean Cruise 2012
Disney Alaskian Cruise 2012
Disney California Coast Cruise 2014
Disney Panama Canal repo 2014
Thnlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
jahber
DIS Veteran

And just to add a positive note, I left my phone on the bed on the last day. I went to breakfast and then realized it (freak out time!), so I went down to my room and it wasn't there!!! But when Ed saw me pass by, he flagged me down and reunited me with my phone. Fortunately, our wonderful steward had placed it in the safe of the room he was cleaning so he could keep an eye on it instead of leaving it where any passer by could grab it. There are many wonderful people working for DCL and the port. Don't let a few bad apples worry you. But still, DON'T leave your phone on the bed like I did . We always carry all electronics (kindle, iPad, and phones) in our carry ons, though. Never in the suitcase!
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
clten
DIS Veteran

As others have said, it really isn't a big problem. But if it happens to you, it goes from not being a non-issue to being a huge problem. So best to take the precautions others have outlined -- not putting out valuables, securing the bags with a lock or ziptie. One other thing we do: limit the time bags are in the hallway, unattended. On day one, we (or at least one of us) is generally in our stateroom from about 2-3:30 if the bags are delivered early and we check after the safety drill (most of the time we have them at that point). If they aren't there, we decide if we are going to wait for them or head up on deck (if we head up on deck, one of us will run to the room to check occasionally; we like to make sure we have them before the ship leaves the dock! Don't know that they would be able to do anything at that point, but it makes us feel better.) Then on the last night, we put them out when the stateroom hosts are actively collecting the bags. (Trust me, you'll know!) We don't put them in the hallway until they are collecting the bags from near our room. Our bags are outside for maybe 5 minutes, most of the time our stateroom host gather them right as we are putting them out. (Doesn't work for everyone because of all the last night things going on but with late dinner, it usually works out great for us.)
clten is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #12
E ticket rider
Ferb's Best Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyxray5 View Post
I hate to even bring this up but I have heard that your luggage is left outside your door upon arrival and that you leave it outside your door the night before disembarkation -- any worries about things getting stollen? I am not sure I could rest too easy with my luggage outside in the hall for anyone to grab.
This is a common practice among almost every cruise line. DCL, Carnival and Royal Caribbean all do it. I've been on a dozen cruises and the only thing I've ever found missing was my daughter's Nintendo DS. And it wasn't so much missing as it was left behind in the cabin. I placed a call to RCCL's lost and found line and reported it. A few weeks later, I got a call from RCCL's corporate offices and was informed that the DS was turned in to the port agent when the ship returned from the cruise after ours and was being returned to us via their Miami office. It took the item a while to make it's way from Galveston back to us.

They move pretty quickly to clear the hallways once you put your bags out.

"The only thing predictable about life is its unpredictability" - Remy
E ticket rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #13
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

I think it's more common for luggage not to make it on the ship or for it to end up in the wrong stateroom than the other way around.

I think I have only read of one instance where an entire suitcase went missing after disembarkation. I remember the OP seemed to think it was an instance of someone taking the wrong case (either purposely or unintentional) in the luggage section when they got off the ship...although, I suppose it could have happened when it was left in the hall.

As others have mentioned, it's generally a particular item that goes missing (for whatever reason) and usually after it's been though many hands.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #14
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaOC-Mom View Post

. . . I think I have only read of one instance where an entire suitcase went missing after disembarkation. I remember the OP seemed to think it was an instance of someone taking the wrong case (either purposely or unintentional) in the luggage section when they got off the ship
One time after disembarking the Magic at Port Canaveral, we were waiting at the curbside pick-up area. Another family near us was waiting for their ride. When it arrived, they loaded their luggage into the back and realized they picked up an extra suitcase from the terminal. They just left the suitcase at the curb, and drove away.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:08 PM   #15
MinnesotaMouseketeers
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyxray5 View Post
Good answer

We've been on five cruises and have never had a problem. Because it can happen (unlikely) we have everything of value on us in our carry-ons. Such as computers, i-Pads, phones, etc.

Enjoy your cruise.
Disneyland 1975, Off site/Big Red Boat 1987, Port Orleans/Wonder 1999, Off site 2000, Poly/Wonder 2004, CBR/Eastern Magic 2007, WL 2009, GF/Wonder Panama Canal 2011, POR 2012, AKL/Dream 2013, All Star Music/Fantasy Eastern 2014, Off-site 2015, Numerous ports of call to other countries
More fun stops: CA-LA, San Diego, San Fran. & wine country, NM-twice (all over), AZ-twice including Grand Canyon, CO-all over, SD-Black Hills & Badlands, MI-UP, Isle Royale & Mount Pleasent, TX-S. Padre Island twice and San Antonio, WI-All over including Apostale Islands, IA-Quad City area, WY-Devils Tower, AK-Kantishna Roadhouse at Denali NP, Anchorage, Seward, MT-Glacier NP, Ireland 2012, BWCA six trips - 2013 last one
MinnesotaMouseketeers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: