Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM   #16
Tink1987
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrittb00
One problem is that this forum is read a lot less than say the Theme Park Stradegies forum, so may people will simply post there to get more exposure.

Another problem is that so often I've seen people get attacked for having an opinion on a rumor. The attackers will say something like "don't complain about something that isn't official yet", or "why don't we all just wait until it is official before we complain", etc. Getting attacked for having an opinion get old after a while.
I couldn't agree more. I only visit this bit of the boards every week or so to see if there's anything new.

Just now, I have scrolled down the board and there is 2 different threads where the OP has been beaten down for their opinion (if that's the correct term/phrase to use) That's why people don't bother.
April 2005 - Disneyland Paris - Santa Fe | June 2006 - Lanzarote | June 2007 - Cyprus | March 2008 - New York | November 2008 - Mexico | June 2009 - Cuba | December 2009 - Orlando - International Drive | April 2010 - Marrakech | August 2011 - Bruges | March 2012 - Paris and Disneyland Paris - Sequoia Lodge | June 2012 - Norway Fjords on the P&O Azura | August 2012 - Amsterdam | September 2012 - Berlin and Budapest | May 2013 - Eastbound Transatlantic on the Disney Magic | August 2013 - Ghent, Antwerp and Bruges | January 2014 - Road Trip from Las Vegas to Los Angeles | May 2014 - Disneyland Paris | September 2014 - Orlando - WDW's Saratoga Springs | December 2014 - Bruges | April 2015 - Japan

http://www.flickr.com/photos/markcollettephotos/
Tink1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #17
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvptravels View Post
I remember a time when the Disney Rumors and News board was very active and even fun. Those days are long gone. This board has become a bit of a graveyard for threads and topics that people aren't interested in anymore. What happened to this place and all the people who used to participate and make it fun?
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
The problem is that with all the people on this site, we find out about almost any new project about 3 years before it opens. That gives us 3 years to beat it to death. The last real surprise I remember was the announcement of Avatar land, and most people on here seem to hate it. I'm all for any addition or improvement.

If Disney would do more things, we would have something to discuss other than thi fact that they do not do a lot of new things.
Once a project is announced discussion is generally done in another board. A new hotel is discussed in the resort board. There isn't a big lag between a "credible" rumor and announced project. The days of putting up a construction wall and people not knowing what's going up until the grand opening (OK I"m exaggerating a little) is ancient history. People now use the internet to check on construction permits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateB View Post
I absolutely agree. I posted something months back that I have heard from relatives who live in TN about disney buying land near Dollywood and I was ripped apart. It made it so that I didn't really care to post again (until now).
There are at least 2 "rumors" which come up with some regularity and which have no basis in fact. Disney buying up land in XXX and monorail expansion are the two biggies. People shouldn't "rip you apart" but those rumors have been "beaten to death". With some regularity a poster starts a thread saying a bus driver or CM saw secret plans for monorail expansion. A friend knows a realtor who knows someone who sold Disney a huge plot of land near XXXX.

Of course there is the exception that makes the rule. Disney did buy (lease?) land in National Harbor for a hotel (maybe DVC). They decided against it and got rid of the land.

You want a question for discussion. Assume light rail makes sense for some resorts. Not a $$$ monorail but rail with some elevated sections over roadways. Now assume the numbers only support it for resorts which have a lot of guests near a central stop. In other words now matter how you crunch the numbers it only makes sense for POP/AoA and possibly the Allstars. Is there any way Disney could possibly put light rail in place for value resorts but skip the moderate and resorts like WL and AKL? Probably not.

edited to add. My memory is the old days were filled with discussions regarding the "bad show" when CM start to vacuum the streets before guests leave the park.

Last edited by Lewisc; 01-03-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #18
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

I think people are being too sensative about being "ripped apart". This is a news/rumors board. If you post a rumor people are either going to comment on (A) the likelyhood of the rumor being true or (B) what they think of the rumor.

Either way, no one should take what is being said personally, you are just stating a rumor or a theory you might have, no matter what it is its probably going to be picked apart. Don't take it personally, it's the internet.

Personally, I think this section "Rumors and News" has ALWAYS been a little thin on content. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of rumors that are floating around about the parks, and those that are often pop up for years and years. (i.e. Haven't we been talking about a Monster's Inc coaster in DHS for at least SIX years.) Plus as PP said, a lot of NEWS items get posted on the regular Theme Parks forum.

Oh well, I still come here a couple times a week hoping for something exciting to discuss.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK NEW TR
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #19
YoHo
If you have any poo to fling, now is the time.

Yo!

Had to figure out which email this account was attached to.

This place used to be even meaner I think. Or at least, we were strident.

And it was rarely the rumors themselves that got this place hopping. It was the discussions of the why. The philosophy. What Disney parks should be vs. what Eisner and Iger turned them into.

As for why I don't post.

3 reasons.
1: AV left pretty much all of internet Disneydom and he actually knew what he was talking about.

2: I moved away from SoCal and so DL wasn't as easy to get to.

3: WDW has basically gone down hill from a management perspective, but DL has been...OK. We could sit here and discuss whether Carsland is the right move or any number of other changes, but the decay of DLR as themeparks stopped. Lasseter and TDA have done a good job. As good a job as they can.

We can discuss the employee parking and how they're going to start charging for the Christmas stuff and how their AP program is Schizoid.
And any other Lutz rumors we'd care to discuss, but in the end, DL is doing pretty decent and WDW isn't and neither shows any indication of really being a Walt place anymore.

I think without AV who relished educating people about the way the world worked before and during Eisner, there isn't as strong an ability anymore to have those discussions.

We can try, but I wasn't there, I can just relate what people who were there tell me.

Critical thinking about Disney at
www.july171955.com

"That's why I love Walt Disney. It costs $100,000 to build a spire you didn't need. The secret of Disney is doing things you don't need and doing them well and then you realize you needed them all along." - Ray Bradbury
YoHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:30 PM   #20
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I think people are being too sensative about being "ripped apart". This is a news/rumors board. If you post a rumor people are either going to comment on (A) the likelyhood of the rumor being true or (B) what they think of the rumor.

Either way, no one should take what is being said personally, you are just stating a rumor or a theory you might have, no matter what it is its probably going to be picked apart. Don't take it personally, it's the internet.

Personally, I think this section "Rumors and News" has ALWAYS been a little thin on content. Unfortunately, there aren't a ton of rumors that are floating around about the parks, and those that are often pop up for years and years. (i.e. Haven't we been talking about a Monster's Inc coaster in DHS for at least SIX years.) Plus as PP said, a lot of NEWS items get posted on the regular Theme Parks forum.

Oh well, I still come here a couple times a week hoping for something exciting to discuss.
A good debate is always healthy, but I have seen many cases where there have been comments along the lines of "that's just stupid" or "that's the dummest thing I've ever herd". When the "discussion" devloves to that point, then it has become a personal attack.
Sept 2005 : (AS Movies) DS6 DS2 (MNSSHP)
Dec 2006 : (POFQ) 10th Anniversery (MVMCP)
Feb 2007 : (offsite) DS8 DS4 (DPPP)
Feb 2009 : (Bonnet Creek) DS10 DS6 DD2 (+ friends)
Nov 2010 : (Windsor Hills) DS11 DS8 DD4 DD3
April 2012 : (Windsor Hills / AS Movies) DS13 DS9 DD5 DD4 (+family)
October 2014 : (Caribbean Beach) DS16 DS12 DD8 DD6
mbrittb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #21
vandy
Vacations are getaways from vacation planning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrittb00 View Post
A good debate is always healthy, but I have seen many cases where there have been comments along the lines of "that's just stupid" or "that's the dummest thing I've ever herd". When the "discussion" devloves to that point, then it has become a personal attack.
And a lot of times they ask the OP "who or what is your source" and they rip the OP if they can't produce the name of a high-ranking Disney insider. In my business I know more about what is really going to happen from the sideline people than I hear from the main sources and yes, it usually does end up being true!

vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #22
DisneyKidds
The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mouse-ing out his friend!
But in reality...
Member of car "X" - And proud of it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Landbaron View Post
Thanks!!!

It's nice to be remembered. And that was like ten years ago. You have a good memory. But you forgot Walt's Frozen Head and the one and only Disney-guru: Another Voice!!

Ah! The good old days!!! There was a time when it was only me and Yoho on this board. No other members at all. Conversations took weeks. And then the pixie dust crowd took over and... Anyway, thanks again!!
***sniff***

http://www.july171955.com/vBulletin/upload/index.php
DisneyKidds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #23
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks!!!

It's nice to be remembered. And that was like ten years ago. You have a good memory. But you forgot Walt's Frozen Head and the one and only Disney-guru: Another Voice!!

Ah! The good old days!!! There was a time when it was only me and Yoho on this board. No other members at all. Conversations took weeks. And then the pixie dust crowd took over and... Anyway, thanks again!!
Yeah, the drunk on the Disney Kool-aid, Disney can do no wrong crowd, does often ruin a bunch of threads.
Sept 2005 : (AS Movies) DS6 DS2 (MNSSHP)
Dec 2006 : (POFQ) 10th Anniversery (MVMCP)
Feb 2007 : (offsite) DS8 DS4 (DPPP)
Feb 2009 : (Bonnet Creek) DS10 DS6 DD2 (+ friends)
Nov 2010 : (Windsor Hills) DS11 DS8 DD4 DD3
April 2012 : (Windsor Hills / AS Movies) DS13 DS9 DD5 DD4 (+family)
October 2014 : (Caribbean Beach) DS16 DS12 DD8 DD6
mbrittb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #24
mrsR123
Mad about the mouse
Teacher, teacher, can you teach me?

Nice posts, Lewis and YoHo.

Sorry Kidds, no disrespect. Didn't mean to leave out Hopemax or Gcurling, either... or anyone else
mrsR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #25
raidermatt
Beware of the dark side. Anger...fear...aggression. The dark side of the Force are they.

Memories.....
Old 01-03-2013, 04:59 PM   #26
DisneyKidds
The TF thanks DisneyKidds for mouse-ing out his friend!
But in reality...
Member of car "X" - And proud of it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsR123 View Post

Sorry Kidds, no disrespect. Didn't mean to leave out Hopemax or Gcurling, either... or anyone else
No worries....no disrespect felt. A ***sniff*** for the passing of the good 'ole days. 'Nuff said.

http://www.july171955.com/vBulletin/upload/index.php
DisneyKidds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
DVC-Landbaron
What Would Walt Do?

Mr. Kidds!!!

Well met!! How goes it with you? And if I haven't said it before, I'll say it now, I LOVE your tag line!!

PS: I am certainly NOT wrong about 1972 prices... Care to start a thread?!!!

For the best "Disney Education" on the web go to: http://www.july171955.com/

Long live the Pirate!!
DVC-Landbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #28
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsR123 View Post

It's okay, no one usually remembers me, because I was the reasonable one. :D Not like the manhood contests certain other members (you know I love all of you guys, 'cept one) would engage in.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #29
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Mr. Kidds!!!

Well met!! How goes it with you? And if I haven't said it before, I'll say it now, I LOVE your tag line!!

PS: I am certainly NOT wrong about 1972 prices... Care to start a thread?!!!
And I love your tag line Mr. DVC.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 PM   #30
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

And for all the people who joined post-2006ish, and have absolutely no idea of what's going on and who are all these random posters... here's a blast from the past

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=58576

and a slightly later one

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=159733

And a few greatest hits (I went back to the oldest posts, and pulled a few with a lot of posts - so they probably aren't the best posts). And if you feel like you are missing part of the conversation, you might be. One of the regulars decided to have the biggest DIS YAGE ever...he asked for all his posts to be deleted (but some may have been quoted).

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=53549
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=107356
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=116917
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=128706
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=155151
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=157260

Okay, that's probably enough!

Edit, I lied! I went forward a little forward in time and started running into the threads where we were supposed to put DEBATE in the thread title, because we were so BAD that our "conversations" would terrify the more delicate members of the DIS!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=208000
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=218333
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=245200
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=253064
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=271825

Last edited by hopemax; 01-03-2013 at 05:48 PM.
hopemax is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: