Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #1
Quagmire
Earning My Ears

Alaska Cruise Excursion Question

We are headed to Alaska in July and my daughter really wants to do a dog sled excursion. Does anyone have any recommendations either thru Disney or an independent vendor they can recommend? Thanks.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

The only people I know who have done dogsledding while on a DCL Alaska cruise did it through the ABD add-on, and absolutely loved it!

Sayhello
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
algae
Mouseketeer

I'd recommend doing it through DCL. Even though it may cost a bit more than going on your own to the same vendor, the convenience is worth it. Going through DCL gives you a shuttle from the port to the heliport (which can be pretty far away). If you go on your own, you have to get yourself to the heliport usually. Also, the weather changes so quickly, letting DCL worry about getting you a refund for cancelled trips saves you some potential pain.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Luv_Tink
Mouseketeer

www.alaskaexcursions.com is the company that Disney contracts with for some excursions. We booked through DCL for the summer seld dog camp excursion in Skagway this past August, but I would not hesitate to book direct with this group. The experience was fabulous, the staff wonderful, and my girls are still talking about riding in the cart and snuggling the puppies.
Luv_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Calfan
DIS Veteran

We did the Dog Sled Adventure by Helicopter in Juneau on our Alaska cruise last August and loved it. The helicopter ride was amazing, and the sledding was so much fun. Our first choice was the Disney Exclusive Dog Musher for a Day, but this excursion was already sold out by the time we were able to book (we were Silver Castaway Club). The plus of the Dog Sled Adventure by Helicopter is that it offers a child rate. I had actually made a private reservation with Coastal Helicopter because I wanted to make sure we would be able to go dog sledding even if we weren't able to get a spot on one of the DCL dog sledding excursions. We were in Juneau on my DD's 10th birthday, so I wanted to make absolutely sure we would be able to go dog sledding. I cancelled the Coastal reservation once we were able to book the Dog Sled Adventure by Helicopter through DCL because, due to the child rate, the DCL excursion was actually cheaper than booking privately (my DS 8 and DD both qualified for the child rate since my DD was still 9 when the cruise started). Friends that we were taveling with did the Dog Sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier excursion, and they also loved it. They got to spend time with puppies, whereas we did not (although we did meet and interact with our actual dog sled team). We had gotten to pet puppies in Caribou Crossing, so it wasn't a big deal to us that our excursion didn't include puppy time, especially given the savings due to the child rate. (The Dog Sledding on the Mendenhall Glacier excursion only offers one rate.) So one thing you should take into account is whether you want puppy interaction. But I would absolutely recommend dog sledding.

MAGIC June 20-27, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) MAGIC June 18-29, 2011 (Med) WONDER August 6-13, 2012 (Alaska) MAGIC September 7-12, 2012 (Canada) FANTASY April 13-20, 2013 (Western Caribbean) ABD Scotland: A Brave Adventure August 4-12, 2013 WONDER May 19-24, 2014 (San Diego to Vancouver) ABD Austria, Germany & Czech Republic July 5-13, 2014 DREAM November 24-28, 2014 (Bahamas) WONDER May 15-17, 2015 (San Diego) B2B with WONDER May 17-20, 2015 (Ensenada) MAGIC June 29-July 10, 2015 (North Norwegian Fjords and Iceland) B2B with MAGIC July 10-22, 2015 (Baltics) with ABD add-on
Calfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: