Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #1
madelyn
DIS Veteran

Any place for adults to play video games w/ kids other than the arcade?

Thinking of booking the Wonder cruise that departs New Year's eve 2013. At that time my sons will be 15 and 12 and my daughter will be 7. From what I have read so far, it looks like my daughter can access the kids clubs, my 12 year old son can get into the kids' clubs and the tween club and my older son can only go to the Teen club. Is there any place other than the arcade that they can watch TV and play games together? Any kind of "family lounge"? Their young adult cousins (one in college and one in graduate school) may be joining us so we are wondering if there is a place my kids can spend time with their cousins.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelyn View Post
Thinking of booking the Wonder cruise that departs New Year's eve 2013. At that time my sons will be 15 and 12 and my daughter will be 7. From what I have read so far, it looks like my daughter can access the kids clubs, my 12 year old son can get into the kids' clubs and the tween club and my older son can only go to the Teen club. Is there any place other than the arcade that they can watch TV and play games together? Any kind of "family lounge"? Their young adult cousins (one in college and one in graduate school) may be joining us so we are wondering if there is a place my kids can spend time with their cousins.
AFAIK, the only place they could all be together would be the arcade. Many of the public areas are open to all ages during the daytime. Diversions (sports bar) and Promenade Lounge have board games available to play. Studio Sea has family oriented gameshow type activities.

One note here, your 12 year old can be in EITHER Oceaneers Club/Lab or Edge, not both. Although there have been reports that some kids in the crossover age (11 & 12) have been allowed to float between the two, generally they must pick one.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #3
madelyn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
AFAIK, the only place they could all be together would be the arcade. Many of the public areas are open to all ages during the daytime. Diversions (sports bar) and Promenade Lounge have board games available to play. Studio Sea has family oriented gameshow type activities.

One note here, your 12 year old can be in EITHER Oceaneers Club/Lab or Edge, not both. Although there have been reports that some kids in the crossover age (11 & 12) have been allowed to float between the two, generally they must pick one.

Thanks for the replies. I had assumed that my 12 year old would have access to Oceaneers/Lab AND Edge. So will he be able to visit both (like an Open House) before committing? I can see him prefer Edge but not sure if it would be as fun for him since we would have to go without any one else he knew. My seven year old said she would go to Oceaneers/Lab alone but I think she would have more fun if her brother went with her.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #4
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I had assumed that my 12 year old would have access to Oceaneers/Lab AND Edge. So will he be able to visit both (like an Open House) before committing? I can see him prefer Edge but not sure if it would be as fun for him since we would have to go without any one else he knew. My seven year old said she would go to Oceaneers/Lab alone but I think she would have more fun if her brother went with her.
Yes, during the Open Houses on the first night, both locations can be checked out. I will point out that the first night in Edge (as well as Vibe) is when the "program" for the cruise is worked out in each area.

Oh, and once he choses one club, he can switch to the other, if he wishes, but there is only one change allowed. At least on those cruises that stick with having the kids only in one or the other.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I recommend the 12-yr-old check out both locations on the first day, and if there is ANY possible interest in the EDGE he should attend their planning session the first night. That will really help him to decide if EDGE will be doing the kind of activities he'd like. Most cruisers are reporting their kids in the cross-over age group have to make a choice (EDGE or Club/Lab) and not plan to bounce back-and-forth throughout the cruise, though some have reported the child was allowed access to both - I wouldn't expect it though. Anyone of any age is allowed to attend the "Open House" hours in any of the kids clubs, though children must be accompanied by an adult during open house at the Club or Lab; I don't believe your DD7 will be allowed to attend Club or Lab Open House with DS12 unless an adult is also present - the 7-yr-old would have to be checked-in to the secured programming in the opposite location if not accompanied by an adult.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: