Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #1
chessie
DIS Veteran

thoughts on these time shares?

We are II owners and are looking at these 3 resorts. We qualify for a 2 bedroom.

Mystic Dunes Resort and Gold Club
Westgate Vacation Villas
Diamond resorts Grand Beach

Tripadvisor had some really great reviews about them all and then there is that odd review or two that says worst place I've ever stayed. You just have to wonder. I'm sort of leaning towards Mystic Dunes. Anyone have any thoughts on any of these? We are 2 children 3 adults, ages 8 through 64
chessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:45 AM   #2
got4boys
Mouseketeer

If you are looking close to Disney - Grand Beach is close.
got4boys is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #3
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
Originally Posted by got4boys View Post
If you are looking close to Disney - Grand Beach is close.
i would suggest grand beach out of those three as well...

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

If you post this in the Dvc boards you might get more responses.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #5
dsanner106
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
If you post this in the Dvc boards you might get more responses.
DVC owners don't trade through II and would not have access to these so probably not much help, unfortunately. There are enough timeshare users on this board though to probably help.

D

72 offsite
'74 offsite, '01 Old Key West,'02 Wyndham
'03 timeshare,'04 Pop Century '04 Coronado Springs
'05 Offsite
'06 All Star Sports 06 CoronadoSprings '07 Bonnett Creek 07 All Star Music '08 Pop Century '08 Boardwalk Villas '09 Beachclub Villas '09 Animal Kdom kidani village'10 Saratoga Sp, '11 Bay Lake Towers,' 12' Boardwalk, '12 AK Kidani
dsanner106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Snoopy1985
Earning My Ears

I've stayed with family at Mystic Dunes and as far as luxery goes I thought it was very nice. Spacious with a nice view. Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #7
greenclan67
Callie35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy1985 View Post
I've stayed with family at Mystic Dunes and as far as luxery goes I thought it was very nice. Spacious with a nice view. Good Luck!
The only thing I didn't like about Mystic Dunes and it was a problem for us, maybe not for others, but there were not outdoor hot tubs or spas with the pools. We like to sit with a drink after the parks and relax in them in the evening. But were from Ontario in the middle of winter, so that could be why!

ME DH DD (12): DD We love good times!
2012 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 13 days
2011 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 12 days
2010 Cypress Pointe Resort 12 days
2009 Bonnett Creek 8 days
2008 Solano Resort 8 days
greenclan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
cheerky
Mouseketeer

I agree. Its a little bit of a bummer...no hot tubs at the pools. But, our unit had a huge jetted tub.
cheerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
chessie
DIS Veteran

Thank you for your input. I just found out that the Grand Beach doesn't have laundry facilities in the 2 bedroom villas. That is a must for us. I think i'm going with Mystic Dunes as my first choice. A lot of people seem to like it on here. I haven't heard anything about the Westgate so I think I need to go back to the drawing board as I need to have an alternate in case we can't get our first choice.
chessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
greenclan67
Callie35

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessie View Post
Thank you for your input. I just found out that the Grand Beach doesn't have laundry facilities in the 2 bedroom villas. That is a must for us. I think i'm going with Mystic Dunes as my first choice. A lot of people seem to like it on here. I haven't heard anything about the Westgate so I think I need to go back to the drawing board as I need to have an alternate in case we can't get our first choice.
We are staying at Westgate Town Center in March and my brother just came back from there. We rented it through RCI and so did he. Said he loved it. Despite some of the negative reviews. He said the resort itself was beautiful, and the timeshare nuts he just told them he didn't make the minimum to even attend the breakfast so not to bother asking him. They left him alone after that. Said his stay was smooth sailing after that!

ME DH DD (12): DD We love good times!
2012 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 13 days
2011 Cypress Pointe Grande Villas 12 days
2010 Cypress Pointe Resort 12 days
2009 Bonnett Creek 8 days
2008 Solano Resort 8 days
greenclan67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:52 PM   #11
swilshire
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at all three of these resorts, multiple times at Grand Beach and Mystic Dunes. I'd choose Mystic Dunes.

Grand Beach is very nice with two masters in the 3br units, but the living room and kitchen are small. I've never stayed in a 2br.

Westgate has a lot of different types of units. We stayed in the one with a loft, which was pretty nice, but they have a bad reputation for pushy sales people.

We have stayed many times at Mystic Dunes and always have a good stay. Easier to get to and from WDW than Grand Beach (535 has killer traffic).

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 PM   #12
swilshire
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenclan67 View Post
We are staying at Westgate Town Center in March and my brother just came back from there. We rented it through RCI and so did he. Said he loved it. Despite some of the negative reviews. He said the resort itself was beautiful, and the timeshare nuts he just told them he didn't make the minimum to even attend the breakfast so not to bother asking him. They left him alone after that. Said his stay was smooth sailing after that!
Note that Westgate Town Center is a much newer, nicer resort than Westgate Vacation Villas, even though they are in basically the same place.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

was just at Westgate this Dec - after staying there in Sept and being bothered by the sales people - one actually came to my door.

well expected it to be the same.

got a shock - no sales people were even mentioned. they left me entirely alone - (first time for me at Westgate) - so don't know.

got a much better villa than I paid for - it was wonderfully - got on the 6th floor facing WDW - so you could see the fireworks.

so got to appreciate the resort. and it is much nicer w/o the sales people trying to sell you.

had an excellent dinner at the bar/lounge/restuarant.

that say might go with Grand Beach.

also had a 3-bedroom and it had 2 washer/dryers - so don't understand how the 2-bedroom does not have one???

rci says the 2-bedroom has washer/dryers at grand beach
http://www.rci.com/RCI/rdg/availableUnits.do#tab

Last edited by spiceycat; 01-04-2013 at 04:42 PM.
spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #14
kiki02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiceycat View Post
was just at Westgate this Dec - after staying there in Sept and being bothered by the sales people - one actually came to my door.

well expected it to be the same.

got a shock - no sales people were even mentioned. they left me entirely alone - (first time for me at Westgate) - so don't know.

got a much better villa than I paid for - it was wonderfully - got on the 6th floor facing WDW - so you could see the fireworks.

so got to appreciate the resort. and it is much nicer w/o the sales people trying to sell you.

had an excellent dinner at the bar/lounge/restuarant.

that say might go with Grand Beach.

also had a 3-bedroom and it had 2 washer/dryers - so don't understand how the 2-bedroom does not have one???

rci says the 2-bedroom has washer/dryers at grand beach
http://www.rci.com/RCI/rdg/availableUnits.do#tab
HAVE ALSO stayed at westgate. Not very clean and never again. Left me with a bad impression on all west gate resorts and hotels.
kiki02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #15
spiceycat
Own at BWV, VWL and BLT
It happens every night on the Bay Lake side

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki02 View Post
HAVE ALSO stayed at westgate. Not very clean and never again. Left me with a bad impression on all west gate resorts and hotels.
i would agree - except for this trip.

have been traveling with my pets (cats) - so needed a pet friendly resort - that means with RCI only Celebration World resort or Westgate - lately CWR has not been in extra or last minute vacations - but Westgate has.

so went with Westgate and expected the same place got the last time and to be constantly bothered by the sales people (which is what Westgate did before)

as I say nothing.... the villa was beautiful - and it has alot of carpet - the other place was mostly tile. but the view here was the one of the best that I have ever had.

makes me think about my june/july trip hope it is as nice. staying at marriott w/o pets but hoping with friends or relativies.

spiceycat is offline   Reply With Quote