Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:35 PM   #1
TinkerKeeks
Mouseketeer

First Family Trip to WDW-and my first TR!

Hello all ! I'm Kristie and I recently discovered the DIS a few weeks ago. I've been lurking in the shadows and devouring your trip reports ever since lol.
So without further ado, I've decided to start my own pre- trip report, TR to follow, and join the fun.
Here's the cast:

DS, who is 17 months and will be visiting the World for his very first time. He's obsessed with Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

Here he is last year on our trip to Florida. We didn't think he was old enough for the Parks yet since he was only 6 months old but we took him to Downtown Disney and he had a blast playing around there.

A little bit of background, my grandmother, another Disney fanatic, lives about 25 minutes away from WDW in Kissimee, so we we visited her last year and went just to Downtown Disney.

Here is a more recent pic of DS.

Then of course there is me, Kristie (23). I have been a huge Disney fan my whole life, and have been to WDW more times than I can count. I used to stay at my Nan's house in the Summer and was an Annual Pass holder for awhile. Unfortunately in recent times, between graduating college and having a baby I havn't been to WDW since 2008. i know the horror! So I am very excited to get back there and enjoy the magic with my son.

Here's the obligatory pic of me. This was last summer in Hawaii.

Next up we have, DH (26). He has only been to WDW once and that was 12 years ago so this will be an exciting trip for him. He isn't as big of a Disney fan as me but he enjoys the characters and is also a big Star Wars fan. We have one problem, DH is extremely afraid of all thrill rides. I know he is dead set against ToT, but I'm hoping to at least get him on Big Thunder and maybe even Everest.
Here is last year in Downtown Disney.

We are going with our good friends Joe and Loriann. (Sorry no pic) They don't have kids yet but since they have never been to Disney I invited them to tag-along on our trip.

There is also my lovely mother Debbie. She lives down in Boca but will be joining us for one or two days. Here she is last year

There is also my Nan, who will be meeting up with us for some of the trip as well. She lives 25 mins away and is an annual passholder. She's been a huge Disney fan for the last 80 years! Here is me and Nan a few years ago at her favorite restaurant Cracker Barrel. We must fit a trip to Cracker Barrel in this vacation somehow!

There is also my Dad. He lives in Florida as well and will be meeting up with us for a day.

So there's my huge cast. It feels like a lot of people but because I have so much family in Florida they all want a chance to see us when we come down.
I'm very excited about this trip and can't wait to share more. We will be going January 15 to 20, so we are leaving exactly two weeks from today yay!

Last edited by TinkerKeeks; 01-01-2013 at 08:42 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
Chocolab23
Disney Dreaming

Along for the ride!
2013-Going to celebrate my birthday the best way!-PORLet your Hart be your guide/January 2013 PTR
2013-Alex's Unbirthday trip-POR"A Very Merry Unbirthday!" DEC 2013 PTR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
TinkerKeeks
Mouseketeer

Yay! my first reply, thanks I'm excited!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
TinkerKeeks
Mouseketeer

The details so far...

So this trip has been in the works for awhile. I usually like to travel to Florida in January because it's nice to get a break from the cold weather up here.
I booked our flights early for January 15-20, without planning much, just booing the tickets because I knew we would go.
The original plan was to just stay at my Nan's house and drive to the parks everyday from her house. It's about a 25 minute job, which is not that bad.

The more I thought about it though, the more staying on property seemed like the easier route. Since our friends are coming with us, there's 5 of us in total which would not fit in Nan's car for airport pick up. But 5 of us would fit on the Magical Express! lol
Also, I was thinking that since DS still does like to nap during the day, it may be a problem if he doesn't nap in a stroller at the park. And if he needs to go back to Nan's to take a nap then 25 mins there and 25 back, plus however long he naps, and the time to get in and out of the parks etc. But if we stayed on property then it would definitely make nap times easier.
Also there was the matter of bringing a pack and play for DS to sleep on. Delta wanted 25 dollars each way to check that, 50 bucks to bring a pack and play? I don't think so.

Having all these little problems solved, coupled with the fact that although I've been to WDW many times, I've never actually stayed on property for the "Disney Magic" made for the perfect reason to stay at a Disney Resort.

I checked online and saw the deal they were offering for 30% off, and got a great deal at Pop Century for 5 nights in a preferred room.
So it's booked, and I couldn't be more excited to stay at a WDW resort and ride the Magical Express for the first time!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
TinkerKeeks
Mouseketeer

Just a quick update, DH surprised us with Disney On ICe: Treasure Trove tickets tonight. I'm so excited, I had been seeing the commercials on tv and saying I wanted to go. He got a great deal on tix for opening night, 20 bucks a piece. I can't wait until tonight, I haven't been to a Disney On Ice show since I was a little kid.

What a great way to get pumped for our WDW trip!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

I'm in. Welcome to the Disboards, and congratulations on tackling your first TR!
Old 01-02-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
cheekypoppins
DIS Veteran

cool,I'm looking forward to it :D

Old 01-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #8
TinkerKeeks
Mouseketeer

Update time yay.

Disney on Ice was amazing. I was so proud of DS, he sat through the whole 2 hour show and was clapping and smiling. He got very excited when Mickey came out.

Here's a little pic of us before the show started.

I've been going crazy preparing for the trip. I went a little nuts at the disney store twice upon a year sale and got some great disney shirts for the whole family.
I'm really into the villains so I was very excited to get this cup for only 5 bucks! Yay.

I also picked this outfit up on clearance at Target yesterday for DS. I can't wait to see him in it.

I've started packing and next week can't get here fast enough.
Here is our schedule for the trip, with a few ADRs I have made:

Day1 - Travel Day, Arrive at POP, relax
Day 2 - Magic Kingdom, no ADRS today, DS has never been to a theme park before so I really just wanted to feel out the whole experience and see if he will nap in carriage, or go back to resort for nap etc. We will probably just do CS dining this day.
Day 3 - Hollywood Studios. I'm really looking forward to this park, it happens to be a fave for me. I made a lunch ADR for
50's Primetime Cafe.
Day 4 - Animal Kingdom. I made an early breakfast reservation for Tusker House, this day. I'm hoping by this day, DS will have met a few characters already and we'll know if he will enjoy this or not. Also this night, Nan is taking DS for a sleepover so Mommy and Daddy can have a little adults only time. We will be meeting up with a friend of mine who lives in Orlando and her SO. I made some dinner reservations at House of Blues for us.
Day 5- Magic Kingdom or Epcot. Depending on how much we get done on the first day we will decide which park to go to. I have a feeling it will probably be Magic Kingdom because there is just so much to do I don't anticipate us getting it all done the first day with a toddler in toe. While I enjoy Epcot I feel like it's a park that would be more appreciated by DS on our next trip when he is a little older so I am okay with skipping it this trip.
I also made ADR for Chef Mickey's this night. This is sort of a sentimental dinner for me. Growing up my parents always took me to Chef Mickey's ( back when it was in the Disney Village) and it was a favorite place for me. I am really excited to take my own son to a place I enjoyed so much as a child.
Day 6 - dowtown disney and home

So that's a little outline of the trip for now. Next tuesday needs to get here soon! 6 more days ahh! Lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: