Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #16
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

I will point out that the decision to enforce the no cooler policy was partly fueled by the fact that most soft-sided coolers do not hold water (from melting ice) well and many of the carpets/furniture in the rooms were being damaged by prolonged contact with water/dampness.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
sambycat
DIS Veteran

also, OP, you probably know this, but if there is any kind of medical diagnosis associated with his dietary needs, be sure to note that if you wish on your reservation and perhaps more accommodations can be made for him. just a thought, i’m not an expert on that.

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
CollieMom
Earning My Ears

Wow - no soft sided coolers? I guess they don't have the soft sided cooler as a DCL gift option any more
CollieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #19
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollieMom View Post
Wow - no soft sided coolers? I guess they don't have the soft sided cooler as a DCL gift option any more
I don't know about a gift option, but I've read they do sell coolers at CC.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
penel3
Disney World Addict since 1994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4Life
We are cruising in March 2013. My son eats only very specific food (another story for another board

Can we bring his food on board? I'd like to bring several bottles of Boost nutrition drinks, box of cereal, and possibly granola bars.

Can I put the drinks in a carry on and the box of cereal
, granola bars, etc in my checked luggage?

Also, can a carry on cooler have ice or ice packs in it?

I have so many questions

Thank you!!!
If your pediatrician is aware of this, get him to write a note indicating medical need and you shouldn't have any issues. They will supply you with a real refrigerator as well, if medical need is indicated. A diagnosis does not have to be listed (HIPPA rules) just a medical need note from MD.
1994 1st time (DH has created a monster)1995 FWL1996 1996 1997 1998 All Star Sports 2001 CBR 2002 OKW 2003 OKW 2003 FWL 2004 Disney Cruise 2004 OKW 2004 OKW 2005 AKL Concierge/Boardwalk Villa (bit by the Concierge bug) 2005 Ft. Wilderness Concierge 2006 OKW 2007 Disney Cruise/AKL Concierge, Feb 09 B-day surprise POP & BWI CL, Sept 2010 Portofino Bay Concierge, Dec 2011 Beach Club Concierge, January 2013 The Disney Wonder, March 2014 The Walter E. Disney Suite on the Disney Wonder
penel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

I have this Thirty-One bag that I had contemplated using as a carry on, mostly for Mountain Dew, not really planning to bring on any snacks at all. It is a thermal lined bag, I didn't plan to put any ice/icepacks in it. I think maybe to avoid possible problems I will just use a different bag. I've seen lots of people say different things though, do you think this bag would be confiscated?

[/IMG]
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
SoCaOC-Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkochrn View Post
I have this Thirty-One bag that I had contemplated using as a carry on, mostly for Mountain Dew, not really planning to bring on any snacks at all. It is a thermal lined bag, I didn't plan to put any ice/icepacks in it. I think maybe to avoid possible problems I will just use a different bag. I've seen lots of people say different things though, do you think this bag would be confiscated?

[/IMG]
From what I have read, the new restriction is on soft side rolling coolers so I don't beleive your bag would be an issue. (I really like that bag btw).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
SoCaOC-Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
kamik86
DIS Veteran

Quote:

[/IMG]
I doubt that would be taken... mostly because the CMs aren't going to look at it long enough to realize that isn't a purse.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:52 PM   #24
fluffsmom
Earning My Ears

Went on the Fantasy on 9/22/12 and rolling soft coolers were not permitted. My cousin was furious. She used it on the drive to FL and had regular stuff in it. Had to give it up. Customs wasn't very nice about it either.
fluffsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
Blanche_Neige
DIS Veteran

Quote:

[/IMG]
love the bag, where did you get it?

Also I am sure that if you have medication that need to be refrigerated, you are allowed to bring ice pack & cooler (small soft sided) for the transportation.

In the past I have used instant ice pack (for injuries) as an ice pack for our snacks when we went to the parks, since our hotel room did not have a freezer to refreeze the ice pack. Maybe it could help
March 2011- All Star Sports + 1st trip to US offsite
Oct 2011 - Dream + POP + MNSSHP
March 2012 - US offsite + DTD shopping spree (I need my fix )
Feb 2013 - Disneyland off site 1st time!
March 2014 - DCL Dream
Blanche_Neige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #26
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche_Neige View Post
love the bag, where did you get it?

Also I am sure that if you have medication that need to be refrigerated, you are allowed to bring ice pack & cooler (small soft sided) for the transportation.

In the past I have used instant ice pack (for injuries) as an ice pack for our snacks when we went to the parks, since our hotel room did not have a freezer to refreeze the ice pack. Maybe it could help
This bag is from thirty-one, one of them home party things...
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #27
Realfoodie
Earning My Ears

cooler and food

I just bought one of these specifically to take on the cruise and plane! I figured it would serve many purposes. Hmmm...now I don't know what to do. How strict are they on this food thing? I will have a small jar (not factory sealed) of coconut oil and raw honey in with my toiletries (coconut oil is my moisturizer and raw honey is good for wounds or pimples!). I would have brought extra of both cuz I use it in place of butter on toast and things like that. I am a little nervous because we eat a little different than most so I was hoping to bring a few of my basic staples. And we eat almost no packaged foods, so that isn't a good option for us. I guess I could buy a small jar of factory sealed coconut oil instead of using some from my big container at home. Anyways, just curious how strict they are on what is in your checked luggage. Thanks everyone!

- Colleen
Realfoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #28
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realfoodie
I just bought one of these specifically to take on the cruise and plane! I figured it would serve many purposes. Hmmm...now I don't know what to do. How strict are they on this food thing? I will have a small jar (not factory sealed) of coconut oil and raw honey in with my toiletries (coconut oil is my moisturizer and raw honey is good for wounds or pimples!). I would have brought extra of both cuz I use it in place of butter on toast and things like that. I am a little nervous because we eat a little different than most so I was hoping to bring a few of my basic staples. And we eat almost no packaged foods, so that isn't a good option for us. I guess I could buy a small jar of factory sealed coconut oil instead of using some from my big container at home. Anyways, just curious how strict they are on what is in your checked luggage. Thanks everyone!

- Colleen
I use similar stuff to the coconut oil in my daughters hair and had it packed with our toiletry bag in our luggage ( in my own smaller containers) and did not have a problem!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #29
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The DCL personnel and security do not inspect your bags for food content....and something that looks like a purse will not be confiscated as a cooler. However, they have become VERY strict on coolers (not small insulated lunch bag type things, but coolers). No ice, no coolers. There have even been some confiscated when being used for medical items, although this was reported in the first week of the new policy. The individual was able to take his medication on board, but not in the cooler.

Yes, I know the written policy says OK for medical issues, and this hasn't been reported since that first week. But people should be prepared "just in case."

As above, the reason given for not allowing coolers is the damage to furniture and carpets when coolers have leaked on them.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children food, drinks, food, kid

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: