Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
Traveler4Life
Earning My Ears

Bringing food on board for 8 yr old

We are cruising in March 2013. My son eats only very specific food (another story for another board

Can we bring his food on board? I'd like to bring several bottles of Boost nutrition drinks, box of cereal, and possibly granola bars.

Can I put the drinks in a carry on and the box of cereal
, granola bars, etc in my checked luggage?

Also, can a carry on cooler have ice or ice packs in it?

I have so many questions

Thank you!!!
Traveler4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4Life View Post
We are cruising in March 2013. My son eats only very specific food (another story for another board

Can we bring his food on board? I'd like to bring several bottles of Boost nutrition drinks, box of cereal, and possibly granola bars.

I have so many questions

Thank you!!!
Coolers are not allowed. (too much damage to the carpet by previous cruisers.)

You can bring on packaged food, nothing home-made.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I have so many questions

Thank you!!!
Any beverages you wish to bring onboard must be in your carryon bags. That's ANY beverages, so Boost is OK. Any food brought onboard must be prepackaged, not homemade, and non-perishable.

No coolers allowed except for medical purposes.

I will point out there is cereal onboard. And granola bars, but they have a cost.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #4
scootch
DIS Veteran

We had gone to MNSSHP before going on our cruise. I had bags of candy from it... along with some things I brought for quick protein, like protein bars, peanuts, ect.... You could put like juiceboxes in your luggage also. just fyi, the cereal selection onboard was not very broad.
~~Nov 2005 Contemporary
~~November 2006 Contemporary Making memories with my 21 year old niece with cancer
Sweet Lindsey passed March 2007
~~November 2007 WL
~~Nov 08 VWL
~~Nov 09 WDW BLT DiscoveryCove SeaWorld and DCL Wonder
~~April 2011 B2B Disney Dream
~~Nov 2011 WDW/BLT
~~Nov 2012 VWL/ Eastern Fantasy
~~ June 2013 DISNEYLAND/CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
~~Feb 2014 Contemporary/ Disney Eastern Fantasy
~~Nov 2014 Disney Grand Floridian Villas
scootch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootch View Post
We had gone to MNSSHP before going on our cruise. I had bags of candy from it... along with some things I brought for quick protein, like protein bars, peanuts, ect.... You could put like juiceboxes in your luggage also.
DCL requesst that all beverages be brought onboard in carry on bags, not checked bags.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
Traveler4Life
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the quick responses! The DCL website says soft coolers are ok; however, can they have ice packs in them? Can I put ice packs in my carry on with string cheese or yogurt for snacks?
Old 01-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the quick responses! The DCL website says soft coolers are ok; however, can they have ice packs in them? Can I put ice packs in my carry on with string cheese or yogurt for snacks?
Where are you seeing that coolers are permitted? This is from the DCL site:

QuestionWhat food or food storage containers are not permitted?

AnswerFood coolers containing personal snack foods and drinks may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.

Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention.

Disney Cruise Line regrets that the crew members on board are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items. Disney Cruise Line cannot verify the cleanliness of the environment in which pre-cooked or homemade food items were prepared, and so for the safety of all Guests and crew, these items are not permitted aboard the ship.

The following electrical appliances are not permitted on board due to safety concerns: rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, bottle sterilizers and bottle warmers, electric blankets, electric blenders. A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. In addition, Guests can request hot water to be delivered to their stateroom at any time from Room Service.

Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area. Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

There was a time that small personal coolers were being allowed onboard in spite of the policy, but that has changed. No personal coolers except for medical reasons, or baby food. At that time, no you couldn't have ice or blue ice in them. I would think cheeses and yogurt would fall under the no perishable items allowed, also.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
disney 2010
DIS Veteran

Coolers and soft sided insulated bags are not the same. We brought our soft sided rolling cooler bag on two cruises one from Port Canaveral and the other in California for the MR. We had no problem, really it is no different than a rolling carry on, but nice to have on board as we did add ice then Both times we had it full of canned beverages. You can not put ice or ice packs in it. It must be dry to go through the security scanners. DD has type 1 diabetes and we needed packaged snacks availalble for all port excursions. Had no problem bringing fruit snacks, granola bars etc onboard. Packed them in our suitcase and juices in the carry on.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
Traveler4Life
Earning My Ears

Thank you. I think I mis-read it or saw somewhere about soft coolers in size 12x12x12. Good to know coolers are not allowed.

It's also comforting to know I can bring unopened food and Boost drinks for my son. Thank you!!!!!
Old 01-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney 2010 View Post
Coolers and soft sided insulated bags are not the same. We brought our soft sided rolling cooler bag on two cruises one from Port Canaveral and the other in California for the MR. We had no problem, really it is no different than a rolling carry on, but nice to have on board as we did add ice then Both times we had it full of canned beverages. You can not put ice or ice packs in it. It must be dry to go through the security scanners. DD has type 1 diabetes and we needed packaged snacks availalble for all port excursions. Had no problem bringing fruit snacks, granola bars etc onboard. Packed them in our suitcase and juices in the carry on.
When was this? They started enforcing the "no coolers" (all cooler-types, soft sided or otherwise) policy about 2 or 3 months ago. A lot of people were unhappy about it.

Old 01-01-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney 2010 View Post
This has changed and no coolers, soft sided or otherwize are permitted. People have had them confiscated before boarding.

To the OP, no you can not bring ice or ice packs either. There is a fridge in the room (Dream and Fantasy) and cooler boxes (Wonder and Magic) You can have ice delivered by your stateroom host, and ice is also available at the drink station on the pool deck. You should have no issues with keeping things cold.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #12
ctc917
DIS Veteran

When we cruise we usually arrive in Orlando a few days early so i end up bring a soft sided cooler bag(small one) to keep our drinks cool in the rental car so I will have one in my luggage, if DCL finds this bag will they hold it for me to pick up after our cruise? and if so where do they hold these items that they hold?

thanks

ctc917
ctc917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #13
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctc917 View Post
When we cruise we usually arrive in Orlando a few days early so i end up bring a soft sided cooler bag(small one) to keep our drinks cool in the rental car so I will have one in my luggage, if DCL finds this bag will they hold it for me to pick up after our cruise? and if so where do they hold these items that they hold?

thanks

ctc917
If they confiscate it, it will be held for you to claim after disembarking. A small "lunch bag" style is not likely to be confiscated, especially if it's packed within your checked luggage. It might be challenged in a carry-on. As a PP mentioned, DCL has gotten very strict about the "no coolers" rule just this fall.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #14
Weedy
DIS Veteran

It can be tough with children with food issues, but Disney Cruise will do a great job in trying to find something your child will like. You can speak with the chief's when you board and they will try and help you out. Have a great cruise.

Also here is an old thread about food issues

http://www.www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=46024478

See post 65 about one Mom's experience.

Last edited by Weedy; 01-01-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
disney 2010
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfan1 View Post
This has changed and no coolers, soft sided or otherwize are permitted. People have had them confiscated before boarding.
Good to know.....I have family leaving in a couple of weeks and will let them know to pack the cooler bag if they want it and carry drinks on in the carry on bag.

Tags
children food, drinks, food, kid

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: