Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

My Trip to the 2013 D23 Expo - That's a Wrap!

Well here we are again, can you believe it? It has been two years since the last D23 Expo, and it almost feels like I was just there!

If you havenít followed along with me before, let me introduce myself. My name is Alison and Iím a certified Disney nut! Here I am at the first D23 Expo in 2009.

And this is me with my partner Fran

We also attended the 2011 Expo. We didnít take many self photos and didnít get any of the two of us together. But here we are the 2011 Expo.

Those of you who have followed me before know that we love to shop. At the last Expo, we were introduced to these pictures. We were able to purchase two of them at the Expo (and get that ever popular discount). We have since completed the set of four in the last couple months

I had pre ordered a necklace, I felt rather awkward as when I mentioned that I was there to pick it up, they got really excited. Evidently I was the only one to pre order this necklace. It is now on sale in the parks for 1/3 higher than I paid (less AP discount), so Iím glad I got it in advance.

Turns out they had these rings on display and obviously I liked them enough to take a picture of them. We didnít buy them at the Expo, but the last time the Disney Store online had a 25% discount sale, we actually bought ourselves at set. Iíll have to remember to wear them at the Expo. I donít wear them around the house or for my normal house refurbishment jobs.

Based on the advance schedule, I put together this hopeful itinerary for us in 2011. Unfortunately due to the crowds and stuff we didnít get to half of the things we wanted to do.

The first morning lines were like this.

We had Premiere passes and still had to wait quite a bit. We missed out on getting into the Sorcererís passes because we were stupid and forgot to register until later in the day. This time we didnít miss a beat, we were both at our computers right at registration time and were pleased to find that we could order two passes from one account. Both of us tried and I was the one who got through first, who knows, faster computer, luck of the draw?

For whatever reason though, we were able to get in. They have streamlined the process a little. Evidently the first few people got right in but our registration went like this, we were placed on a waitlist and then D23 got back to us in order I suppose of when you were put on the waitlist. We had 24 hours to confirm that we wanted the registration and then they billed our credit card. I supposed that they implemented this so that way they donít inadvertently overbook the package.

I understand that this year they have more Sorcerers then last time by about 150% or more, so I imagine that there will be a lot more people to receive glaring looks as we bypass the main queues and enter the theaters. I am glad that Fran is feeling better enough that she will be able to transfer out of her scooter and into a regular seat. That means that I can go reserve us the seats while she parks her chair. I hope that somehow we can accommodate my scooter, because while she has improved in her mobility, I have declined. Hopefully my ability to get us seats will not be hampered by the lack of performance by my knees.

Anyways we have 10 days to go until the Expo begins. It seems that the Sorcererís start their day Thursday morning at 9AM. Originally we had booked the Hilton for Thursday through Monday, but since Fran and I donít do mornings so well, we added Wednesday night to our stay (thank you Hilton Honors points!) so that we can be at the Convention Center bright and early Thursday morning.

The Sorcerer Package includes:
  • Three-day admission ticket
  • Reserved seating at all presentations in the D23 Arena and Stage 23
  • Commemorative Sorcerer credential
  • Pre-Expo tour of the Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives exhibit
  • Exclusive shopping time in the D23 Expo Dream Store and the Treasure Trove the day before the Expo is open to guests
  • First opportunity to purchase D23 Expo Dream Store merchandise via the Random Selection Process (RSP)*
  • Exclusive tour of the D23 Expo show floor the day before the Expo is open to the public
  • Private welcome reception
  • Special entrance to the Expo each morning
  • Hardbound Treasures of the Walt Disney Archives catalog
  • Hardbound Disney Legends ceremony commemorative program
  • Exclusive D23 Expo 2013 tote bag filled with gifts
  • ďFond FarewellĒ reception on final day of Expo
In addition, Sorcerer-level members have access to the Sorcerer Member Lounge featuring:
  • Complimentary light snacks throughout the day with ability to purchase additional food
  • Special exhibit created by the Walt Disney Archives
  • Dedicated Sorcerer Concierge desk
  • Baggage Check area
  • Masseur on site (for pay)
  • One voucher for 20-minute free massage

I hear via the Sorcererís FB page that they have added reserved seating in Stage 28 in addition to Stage 23 and the Arena. I imagine we will spend Thursday doing our Treasure Trove and Pre Expo Dream store shopping (we did that in the afternoon as Premiere attendees last time), plus our advance tour of the Walk Disney Archives exhibit, the tour of the show floor and our Welcome reception. They will probably keep us busy.

The show opens on Friday, August 9 and they have supposedly released the full schedule. Other Sorcerers received an email from D23 inviting them to select the presentations that they would like to have reserved seating. I have not received such an email, so I have emailed D23 back with no response. Iím not expecting one. Supposedly we can make changes up until the Thursday (thatís probably Disneyís CYA for people like me who didnít get the email.)

Thatís all I have for now! Weíre a little over a week away from the beginning, so let the planning begin!
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Last edited by franandaj; 01-01-2014 at 03:31 PM.
franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
franandaj

Table of Contents

Sorcerer Preview Day

Dream Store Shopping
Our Show Floor Pre-Show Tour
Treasures of the WD Archives Part One
Treasures of the WD Archives Part Two
Disney Store Shopping
Dinner and Preview Day Wrap up

Expo Day one

Animation Presentation
Collector's Forum
Imagineer's Reception and End of Day

Expo Day two

Imagineering Part 1
Imagineering Part 2
Imagineering Part 3
Live Action Presentation
Legends Part 1
Legends Part 2
Between the Legends and the Main Event
Sherman/Menken Concert: Sherman Part 1
Sherman/Menken Concert: Sherman Part 2
Sherman/Menken Concert: Menken Part 1
Sherman/Menken Concert: Menken Part 2
Sherman/Menken Concert: Menken Part 3 and Finale

Expo Day three
Final Day Kick off!
The Craft of Creativity
Charaacters and the Run Around
Leave 'em Laughing Part 1
Leave 'em Laughing Part 2
Dinner and Check Out
Alison ~~~~ She said it wouldn't be Boring! | Our Disney Dream Home|Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine |Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Last edited by franandaj; 01-01-2014 at 03:31 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-30-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country
It was a popular place after partying on Saturday nights

I'm in!

Jill in CO
Old 07-30-2013, 01:14 PM   #4
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Nice to see that you start your pre-trip repot thread for the upcoming D23 Expo event next week. Can't believe we are only 10 days away till the D23 Expo. I am so excited for you and Fran that you are able to get the Sorcerer's passes this year. This is the 3rd D23 Expo and they have been amazing. I still remember the first one in 2009 where it was amazing where it was a four day event. It would have been nice if they had the four day event instead of the 3 days event from 2011 and this year.

We all can't wait to get to next week for the D23 expo and to see all the different pavilions, stores, and the venues. I am still having trouble of what showings and events to do and see during each day.
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

YES take me with you Alison & Fran I'm so ready for this you have NO idea !!
Old 07-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

i'm in with all my heart!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:25 PM   #7
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Love the D23 reports.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #8
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

I can't wait to read all about this.

Corinna
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #9
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Following along!
Old 07-30-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

I'm here now must read the intro.

As usual it sounds fantastic. One of these years I MUST get to one of these. The sorcerer package definitely seems worth it.

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14, AKV/BCV 10/14, AKV CL 12/14

Last edited by Pinkocto; 07-30-2013 at 06:13 PM.
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

The Sorcerer's package looks great!

I'm sorry you're having knee issues.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

I'm here!
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
missmdr
Mouseketeer

I'm here to follow along, too!
missmdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
Paula Sedley-Burke
Proud to believe in Rainbows and Unicorns...

The Sorcerer package sounds amazing! You get so much! Omg this is going to be so much fun and so interesting I am so thrilled for you both. Love the storm trooper photo I am such a Star Wars fan. I love sci fi :-) I am a geek! Love the necklace and the rings! Every girls dream! I am lethal in jewellery shops. DW has banned me from Tiffany's and the middle of the World of Disney where the rings etc are lol.

But I am so jealous.....so jealous...on the Friday 9th August at 12:15 ...I am shaking typing this....Paige O'Hara is going to be there! Oh yes Alison and Fran...the Paige O'Hara you see right now she is my favourite artist and I just would love love love to have one of her amazing paintings of Belle. Omg omg omg...

I would love to meet her and buy a piece of her art! She is such a talent! not only voice and stage but her art! If you see her touch her for me...if I did I would never wash my hand again lol..it says she is in the Disney Dream store but doesn't say if she is displaying her amazing paintings.

What a line up though! You two are just going to have such a well deserved time and what is lovely about you two is you are generous enough to take us with you in your amazing TR!

I love your pictures you got that look like they are in the style from the haunted mansion. We collect disney art where we can. My dream is to own a Paige O'hara and a Peter Max.

I hope you manage your scooter ok. Your poor knees! That must be so painful but good that Fran is a bit more mobile. Maybe they should design a scooter for two a cute one like a harley motorbike with a side car!
Dixie Landings 2000, Port Orleans 08, SSR 09, SSR 10, SSR 11, Disney Dream 2011, SSR 12, Disney Dream 2012 , AKL 13, SSR 13 , VWL 13, Disney Dream 2013, POR 2014, SSR 14, AKV 14, BCV 14, , Disney Dream 2014, VGF 14, AoA 15, Disney Magic 15, SSR 14, VGF 14

May 2014 Pre trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3236860

Sep/Oct 2014 Post trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337960

( Me ) , (DW)

Paula
Paula Sedley-Burke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:52 AM   #15
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedijill View Post
I'm in!

Jill in CO
Thanks for following along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
Nice to see that you start your pre-trip repot thread for the upcoming D23 Expo event next week. Can't believe we are only 10 days away till the D23 Expo. I am so excited for you and Fran that you are able to get the Sorcerer's passes this year. This is the 3rd D23 Expo and they have been amazing. I still remember the first one in 2009 where it was amazing where it was a four day event. It would have been nice if they had the four day event instead of the 3 days event from 2011 and this year.

We all can't wait to get to next week for the D23 expo and to see all the different pavilions, stores, and the venues. I am still having trouble of what showings and events to do and see during each day.
It will be nice to see you again at the Expo Bret! The last one was so much fun! I am looking forward to the Sorcerer package and have already begun planning my itinerary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
YES take me with you Alison & Fran I'm so ready for this you have NO idea !!
I hope you enjoy this report and are able to experience the Expo vicariously through my trip report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
Love the D23 reports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
I can't wait to read all about this.

Corinna
I can't wait to tell everyone about this!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: