Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 01:01 AM   #1
DannyDisneyFreak
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

So I was reading the thread about preventing and treating motion sickness but I hadn't really thought about the possibility of getting sea sick. We leave in just over a week for our first cruise, should I be worried? What if one of us gets sea sick and it ruins the cruise? How should we be prepared?
Old 12-28-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

OK, I get motion sick on small boats, back seats of cars, etc. Theme park rides are not even a consideration. I do not get sick on big ships. The DCL ships have great stabilizers that reduce a lot of the motion.

There is FREE generic bonine available outside the medical center on all of the ships. If you need something more than that, the ship's doctor will help.

On my first cruise, I did "everything." Scope patch, sea bands, etc. and had no problem. On my second cruise, I did nothing--again, no problem.

I would start with a positive attitude and the realization that if you are departing from Port Canaveral, the roughest patch will typically occur on the first night as the ship traverses the gulf stream.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #3
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

I second the positive attitude and no worries about it Easier said than done. IF, you and family don't get car sick/air sick/motion sick, than I would bet on it not being an issue. You could bring something for just in case. But I would not worry about it.

Chrissy
chris31997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997
I second the positive attitude and no worries about it Easier said than done. IF, you and family don't get car sick/air sick/motion sick, than I would bet on it not being an issue. You could bring something for just in case. But I would not worry about it.
Def bring something to be prepared. I have never had motion sickness. I can even read while riding. I did get motion sickness on the Dream. It was so mild that I didn't recognize it as such at the time. It was general discomfort but it would go away immediately when the ship stopped. I will be better prepared next time.
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:49 AM   #5
DannyDisneyFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31997
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess

Def bring something to be prepared. I have never had motion sickness. I can even read while riding. I did get motion sickness on the Dream. It was so mild that I didn't recognize it as such at the time. It was general discomfort but it would go away immediately when the ship stopped. I will be better prepared next time.
We both get motion sick from reading in the car and my fiancé doesn't do upside down or spinning rides because it… she was more worried than me but we both figured its a big ship and didn't think twice but I see a lot of people with problems. Is the stuff available on the ship free and what extra should we bring if they offer medication on the ship?
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #6
DJinPA
Earning My Ears

I get sick reading a map in the car or even looking at a 3D movie! I would suggest getting Bonine and starting it at least 24 hours before you set sail (or before your flight). I did this and had no problems at all. I did not need to take it the entire week of the cruise, but as a DISer suggested, I did take it the night before we returned-I guess when you come back into Port Canaveral, you often cross over some choppy water. Maybe it is just all the passengers resisting the return....

Don't stress, relax, eat well (nothing greasy) and if you feel queasy, lay off the alcoholic drinks until you acclimate. We were on the Magic and I felt "odd", but not bad the first night. I did even have a drink as we sailed away!
Have a great time!
DJinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
GreenMonster12
Earning My Ears

I get motion sickness on on planes, boats, cars and never had a problem cruising! I take Bonine the first few days just in case, but no issues after that! We had pretty high seas on the Fantasy in September and you could barely notice the ship move except when you were in Satellite Falls on the top of the ship.
September 2009: Saratoga Springs
GreenMonster12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
goeva
DIS Veteran

Oh! No. That was me. I wrote that thread. Sorry, it wasn't my intention to worry other DISers. I agreed with PP, starts with a positive attitude and not to worry about it. Staying busy and keeping your mind occupied are the best ways to avoid seasickness.

MeDH DD DS

Last edited by goeva; 12-28-2012 at 07:47 PM.
goeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #9
tinkermama117
Mouseketeer

I, too, get motion sickness on just about any other vehicle other than a cruise ship. It's more of a rolling sensation than a rocking. On my first cruise I brought acupressure bands and dramamine just in case but never needed it. It doesn't hurt to have those things with you just in case.
1998- First Visit: off property,1999: off property, 2000: off property, 2001: off property, 2002: Land and Sea, All Star Music and Disney Wonder, 2003: Caribbean Beach Resort, 2006: Port Orleans Riverside, 2007: Off property but...then became DVC Members!!! 2008: Saratoga Springs, 2009: Saratoga Springs, 2010 (spring) Boardwalk Villas, 2010 (New Years) Saratoga Springs July 29- Aug 1 2012: BLT, Aug1-Aug 5 Disney Dream, Aug 5- Aug 11: BCV, Summer 2013:AKL and Vero Beach Split, Marathon Weekend-OKW, Summer 2014-SSR/Vero Split, Wine and Dine Weekend, Disney Magic Feb 15
tinkermama117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #10
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
I would start with a positive attitude and the realization that if you are departing from Port Canaveral, the roughest patch will typically occur on the first night as the ship traverses the gulf stream.
This. On our first cruise (a 7 night) on the very first night it was rough as we crossed the gulf stream. We were sailing in January. One child at the next table vomited all over his dinner. DD and I were queasy. DH was like "What's for desert?" I went to bed that night thinking that it was going to be a very long cruise as we were both still feeling sick. We woke up the next morning feeling fine. We've cruised 7 times and I have to say that I have only been queasy that very first night. Not sure if I had a different attitude or just got used to the motion.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
DannyDisneyFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by goeva View Post
That was me. I wrote that thread. Sorry, it wasn't my intention to worry other DISers. I agreed with PP, starts with a positive attitude and not to worry about it. Staying busy and keeping your mind occupied are the best ways to avoid seasickness.
I'm glad you wrote it, it is great info and would have never really thought of it. I just wondered how common it was for others.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

Sensitivity to seasickness varies a lot. On our Alaska cruise this year, we hit a patch where the ship was rocking so bad we had to return to our cabin to get off our feet before we tumbled. We didn't get the least bit seasick, though.

On our W. Caribbean earlier this month, we thought the water was so smooth that we could barely feel the ship moving much of the time. I was surprised to get home and have a few fellow cruisers in our Facebook group post that they got so seasick they will never cruise again!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #13
wdwlovin'family
Mouseketeer

OP, we will be on the same cruise and this is our first cruise as well! I am a bit worried about sea-sickness as well. Theme park rides don't bother me, but I can't read anything while riding in a car and 3D movies bother me as well. I am thinking of taking Bonine before our cruise start, basically when I board the plane. Just curious, how drowsy does Bonine make you?
Old 12-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #14
bbwex
Earning My Ears

More detail

Well, this is a large topic, and some background information will really help you before we get to remedies.

First of all, most people don't get seasick, and if you do, it almost always passes in a day, once you get your sea legs. Yes, I know, there are some people (a very small number) who seem to take several days to get over it.

Seasickness is primarily caused by a conflict between the eyes (if they are not seeing the motion) and the inner ear which detect the motion. So, prevention is somewhat easy -- stay someplace where you can see the motion until you get your sea legs. Staying out on deck and watching the horizon is the cure, and the fresh air will help as well. If you are inside, stay near a window so you can see the horizon. If you are not feeling well, do not go inside and lose sight of the seas. The other thing is to eat normally. While this seems counter-intuitive, an empty stomach is not the answer. Keep away from greasy foods and don't overeat, but eat normal meals at normal times.

As for the remedies:

Ginger is clinically proven to dramatically reduce or prevent all motion sickness. You can take ginger pills (available in any drug store), eat candied ginger or ginger snaps, or drink real ginger ale (though you might need a lot). This is a natural remedy obviously, but clinically proven to work. Start taking or eating it before you get on the ship, but you do not need more than a few hours' time for it to get into your system.

Some people swear by the seabands, others notice no effect whatsoever. Again, no medications, but not always effective.

Bonine and dramamine are OTC medications available everywhere. They will work for most people who get seasick. They should be started before getting on the ship. Ships also dispense generic forms of these pills.

For cases of severe seasickness where nothing else has worked, there is the patch. The most common side-effect is dry mouth, but there can be some serious side-effects as mentioned and including hallucinations. If you know you are going to get seasick, and you have tried other medications without success, and your doctor recommends it, get the prescription filled in advance and try it for a week on dry land first -- you don't want to start hallucinating as you walk along the rail while you are at sea.

Perhaps most of all, don't worry yourself into it. If you don't get motion sick in other situations, you are likely to be fine or will be fine after a few hours. While cruise ships do move in the seas, and rough seas can cause a fair amount of motion, bear in mind that they are not anything like small pleasure craft that bob and bounce along all the time. Motion on a cruise ship tends to be much, much slower and less dramatic. If it were a really common problem, you wouldn't see so many cruise ships out there. For most passengers, the gentle motion is calming. Cruise lines try to avoid rough seas when they can, though that is not always possible, and the seas are not always coming from the right direction (Mother Nature can be soooo finicky). For the most part, though, relax and enjoy. Odds are that you are going to be just fine, and the initial prevention suggestions should be enough by themselves.

If just one of you does indeed get sea sick, that person is going to be miserable for awhile, but it will pass as I noted at the beginning of this reply. It is extremely unlikely to last any significant amount of time, and who knows the seas might be calm, or it might not bother anyone.

Previous cruises:
U.S.S. HANCOCK (CVA-19) 1969-71, two WestPac cruises -- oops those weren't pleasure cruises
Carnival Fantasy '90 or '91 - 3 day cruise
Oceania REGATTA - Scandinavian Splendor August, 2009
Disney WONDER - 3-Day Bahamas - December, 2009
HAL STATENDAM -- Alaska -- June, 2010
Ocean Adventures M.V. ECLIPSE - Galapagos Islands -- June, 2012
Oceania RIVIERA -- Italy -- October, 2012
Disney DREAM - 4 Day Bahamas - January, 2013
bbwex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:15 PM   #15
Rambler5678
DIS Veteran

We were on the Fantasy earlier this month and you could feel the boat moving until we got to St. Thomas. I asked a officer what the seas were and he said about 20'. He said anything over 12' and you will feel the motion. The motion was worse on the bow and stern area. Our room was on the 8th floor midship and it wasnt to bad. We took bonine the night before we got on the cruise but the motion was bad so we ended up taking boine and wearing seabands and we were fine. The second half of the cruise was very smooth.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: