Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 02:06 PM   #1
twinone
Mouseketeer

Residence Inn at the port, questions

Were staying in a 2BR at the RI the night before out cruise, were going a shuttle from the Orlando airport. Any suggestions on a stop close to the hotel for beer/wine ect. Also how does the shuttle work to the port in the morning? There is 7 of us so I'm thinking maybe a cab would be quicker and easier? Thanks
twinone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Can't help with the shuttle but what shuttle company will take you from MCO to port area? We always rent a van from the trip for the airport...rented a 13 pax van for our group of 7 adults and luggage in June. I know limo service will take you and use a "shuttle bus type vehicleif needed"...is that what you mean?

We always stay at the MRI and love their 2 bedroom suites. the breakfast in the am is complimentary and much nicer, IMO, then the Country Inn & Suites breakfast.

We usually drop off the people and luggage at the port and then 2 people take the car back to rental agency and hop their shuttle to the port and meet up with us in the terminal. We like having the car as we stop at the ABC liquor store for our supplies and hit either Publix or Walmart for last minute things.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
slindamood
DIS Veteran

I agree that renting your own van is a good idea. There is really no place to stop between MCO and the RI for beverages etc. Once you are settled in the RI, there are several places in Cocoa Beach beyond the RI to buy beer/wine, including a Publix near the pier on A1A.

The drive from MCO to RI is amazingly simply and the traffic is not bad. It is also very simple to navigate your way around Cocoa Bea
ch, from the RI to various services and the attractions at the pier. The drive from RI to the port is very simple also to drop off luggage.
November 2007 Thanksgiving Wonder
August 2007 Westbound Transatlantic Magic
November 2005 Thanksgiving Wonder
December 2002 pre-Christmas Magic
December 2001 Christmas Magic
DVC member since 1998 - BoardWalk Villas
slindamood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:39 PM   #4
Melissa&Shawn
Mouseketeer

When we stayed there 2 years ago, the shuttle was a coach bus that both the MRI and CIAS shared. When we checked in we told them we needed the shuttle and they put us on a list. I think it cost $5 a person and we all went together. It was very well run. We rented a car to the MRI and returned it that morning to the rental office on site (Budget?). Went to Fishlips for dinner and it was delicious
Old 01-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
geoly1
Earning My Ears

Hi ! We just got back from the New Years cruise ... Awesome we stayed at residence inn & it was very nice... Breakfast was very crowded at 9 so go early. We used Murray hill transportation an John drove us round trip 8 of us from mco to ri & stopped at a publix for us ... Ri has a shuttle ( coach bus) that drove us to the port .( just Disney cruises) .. It was $6 each person ... We went to fish lips for dinner & they took 10% off the bill for staying at ri ... Have fun!
geoly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
bermudaannie
Earning My Ears

ok for a newbie who is also trying to figure out what to do...what is MRI? or CIAS? Thanks!
bermudaannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #7
SailingScout
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermudaannie View Post
ok for a newbie who is also trying to figure out what to do...what is MRI? or CIAS? Thanks!
MRI=Mariott Residence Inn, CIAS=Country Inn and Suites
SailingScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
bermudaannie
Earning My Ears

If I rent a car at the airport...I can turn it in at the port? And not pay for the rental or parking all week?
bermudaannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #9
DakotaDisneyLover
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If I rent a car at the airport...I can turn it in at the port? And not pay for the rental or parking all week?
We always rent a car and drive from MCO to our hotel near the port. We usually stay at Residence Inn. We get a one way car rental at MCO, DH drops us off at the ship in the morning, drops off the car and takes the shuttle back to the ship. It really is a piece of cake. It saves money, and is so nice to have the car, especially if you arrive at MCO in the afternoon. We check into the hotel, and usually go to Cocoa Beach, Ron Jon's, eat at Fishlips or the Tiki Bar near it (the name escapes me!) and then pick up liquor and anything else we need. We then relax by the pool in the evening with coctail in had while DS swims.....hmmmmm, can't wait! For our upcoming cruise, we don't get in to MCO until 9:45 p.m., but are still renting a one way car. We are staying at a different hotel this time (got a free night). If you rent a car, keep in mind there are tolls on the way.
*Disney Wonder 2010
*Disney Fantasy February 2013
DakotaDisneyLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Yes, it would be a one way rental. The rental agencies NEAR the port (not at the port directly) are:

Avis, budget, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar and Enterprise. Alamo may be there as well but I am not 100% sure.

Hertz is the closest to the port and Enterprise is the farthest away. Most are about 2 or 3 miles from the port.

All should have complimentary shuttles that will take you to the port after you drop off your rental.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
princesspwrhr
DIS Veteran

related to the original question - how does parking at the hotel work during the cruise? When I look at the website for our dates, it has a rate of $189 for a one bedroom (plus taxes) or for $209 (plus taxes) the park & cruise special/save $15 per day. So is parking "free" then for the length of our cruise if we pay the additional $20? Is the cruise parking secured, or just in an open lot?

For a 4 night cruise, parking at the port would be $90. The website says they have lots and parking garages. According to the site these are well lighted and gated with security.

I don't mind dealing with a shuttle if the parking is secure and it saves us $70, but if it's just an open lot, I'll pay the extra and park at the port.
princesspwrhr is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: