Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
MamaLema
Mouseketeer
I must eat at least one avocado a day!
Tying up Sayid and leaving Sawyer to die doesn't score brownie points with me

Renting a beach house in winter

More specifically, what is there to do in a beach town, let's say in Ocean Banks in January?

No, I am not trying to be snarky.

I'm just curious. To me, I associate the beach with swimming all day in the ocean and laying under an umbrella while my kids make sandcastles.

I know that now it is off-season and it's about half price to stay oceanfront, but is there enough to do in a beach town off-season? Are there enough restaurants, and such open?

Trying to decide if it's even worth it to go.
MamaLema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.

enjoy the view
enjoy the solitude
reflect on life
write poetry
walk, run
i could think of a lot to do.

denisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Rylee
DIS Veteran

I've never taken a beach vacation at a time when it would be chilly at my vacation destination, however, the idea has always appealed to me.

I've often wanted to do this after facing a life changing event, or when needing to make a major life decision. Getting away from all the daily stressors, and being able to solely focus on my family, or myself, would be a nice break from it all. Time to gather thoughts, meditate, and ponder life's direction, is a great way to refresh and clear the head. Being near water is very therapeutic.

&

Rylee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:02 PM   #4
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

We have done it and the quiet on the island is nice. We can get in to all our favorite restaurants. Take long walks in the sand. Where we go though there is Charleston nearby, so everything there is a possibility for indoor days as well.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I've never done it because, like you OP, I equate a beach vacation with being on the beach, swimming, etc.

I'm not one that likes to go away and just sit in a house and do nothing or sit in a hotel room for the sake of just doing that. I do know many people who get immense joy out of that, but it's not for me.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #6
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Red face

Been to the beach twice during cool months. Both times to get away from single digit temps back home LOL.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
Kathi OD
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the nevermind we know what was thereRedhead
Guess what - Doesn't like the cheese soup

I think it depends on the beach town you're talking about, and to some extent how cold it is in the non-beach months. Some beach towns have lots of activities that go on through the winter months because they have a large number of year-round residents. Other towns are like ghost towns in the off-season, no restaurants open, no activities going on. Still others fall somewhere in the middle.

"The task of the modern educator is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts." -- C. S. Lewis
Kathi OD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #8
clm10308
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathi OD View Post
I think it depends on the beach town you're talking about, and to some extent how cold it is in the non-beach months. Some beach towns have lots of activities that go on through the winter months because they have a large number of year-round residents. Other towns are like ghost towns in the off-season, no restaurants open, no activities going on. Still others fall somewhere in the middle.
I agree that it really depends on location. I have been to Galveston and Corpus Christi in winter months with temps in the mid to up 70s dusting the day. It was a bit cold in the ocean for me, but the kids had a ball.
clm10308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM   #9
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!

It depends!

I am a warm-weather beach person.

But, my favorite beach area is huge for 'snowbirds'.

If it means getting out of the frigid north.
Enjoying the area without crowds.
Warm enough for walks on the beach, etc...
(near 70' in that area today, even though the weather is chilly and nasty here where I am at.)

I can see that this might mean a lot to some people.
Especially those from up north.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #10
MIGrandma
A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she's in hot water~Eleanor Roosevelt
I have a toilet problem
33 people looked, and not one followed the rule!

We live in Michigan, so we love staying in a condo on the beach (Daytona) in the winter. Some years it's been rather chilly, but still nice to us when we leave sub zero temps behind. We are not typical "beach people", as we don't care to spend an entire day sitting on the beach or swimming. A couple hours of that is enough for us.

If it's not warm enough to lay out/swim at all we still find plenty to do. We have a bunch of favorite restaurants, one being on a pier out over the water. We take drives on the beach (yes, you can drive your car on the beach at Daytona in most places), take drives in the outer areas to explore, visit the lighthouse and walk the piers, walk on the beach (we can still enjoy that wearing jeans and sweatshirts), go shopping, play miniature golf, sit outside on our balcony and watch/listen to the water and read a good book, or sit outside together talking and sipping a glass of wine, etc.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #11
massagemama
Earning My Ears

We just got back from a 4 night/5 day stay in Lewes, DE...just outside of Rehoboth. It's our favorite summer beach vacation town, right on the mouth of the Delaware Bay. Close enough to Rehoboth to enjoy the boardwalk and beach town stuff but much quieter. Cape Henlopen State Park is in Lewes, one side is on the ocean and the other on the bay. We've had a super busy year and knew if we didn't go somewhere on our time off we'd end up working around the house. We didn't have a ton of money to spend so we didn't want to go far.

We ate apps at our favorite Mexican restaurant on Friday afternoon then had Grotto's pizza delivered to the condo that night while we played games with the kids (13 and 10). Saturday it rained so we went bowling, had lunch at another favorite restaurant then went to a movie. Sat night we had dinner at the condo and watched a movie on dvd. Sunday was sunny but super windy and pretty cold. We wandered through Rehoboth and Lewes and did some window shopping then back to the favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. Monday was less windy and a bit warmer so we bundled up and took the kids and the dog to the Henlopen beach to search for sea glass. Found 7 or 8 pieces, more than we've ever found. We had dinner at a restaurant we've been meaning to try but haven't been able to get into. Then back to the condo for more games and the ball dropping on tv.

We didn't spend a huge amount of money. We were able to easily get into restaurants we have either had to wait for a long time or haven't been able to get into at all. Most shops and restaurants were open and people were happy to see us. We didn't worry about anything at home and we were able to spend time with the kids actually having fun. We relaxed a lot and the kids said it was the best trip ever. I'm so glad we went.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:45 PM   #12
disney4us2002
Tagless by choice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by massagemama View Post
We just got back from a 4 night/5 day stay in Lewes, DE...just outside of Rehoboth. It's our favorite summer beach vacation town, right on the mouth of the Delaware Bay. Close enough to Rehoboth to enjoy the boardwalk and beach town stuff but much quieter. Cape Henlopen State Park is in Lewes, one side is on the ocean and the other on the bay. We've had a super busy year and knew if we didn't go somewhere on our time off we'd end up working around the house. We didn't have a ton of money to spend so we didn't want to go far.

We ate apps at our favorite Mexican restaurant on Friday afternoon then had Grotto's pizza delivered to the condo that night while we played games with the kids (13 and 10). Saturday it rained so we went bowling, had lunch at another favorite restaurant then went to a movie. Sat night we had dinner at the condo and watched a movie on dvd. Sunday was sunny but super windy and pretty cold. We wandered through Rehoboth and Lewes and did some window shopping then back to the favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. Monday was less windy and a bit warmer so we bundled up and took the kids and the dog to the Henlopen beach to search for sea glass. Found 7 or 8 pieces, more than we've ever found. We had dinner at a restaurant we've been meaning to try but haven't been able to get into. Then back to the condo for more games and the ball dropping on tv.

We didn't spend a huge amount of money. We were able to easily get into restaurants we have either had to wait for a long time or haven't been able to get into at all. Most shops and restaurants were open and people were happy to see us. We didn't worry about anything at home and we were able to spend time with the kids actually having fun. We relaxed a lot and the kids said it was the best trip ever. I'm so glad we went.
OMG, we love Grotto's. My dad used to own an RV and it was parked year-round in Lewes. I haven't thought about Grotto's in years....

We have vacationed twice at beach towns during Thanksgiving week. The first was in Nags Head, NC and the second was in North Myrtle Beach, SC. Both were awesome. NMB was definitely warmer (70s during the day) and a bit cheaper as it was a condo but the house in Nags Head was a really, super nice house that in the summer we could never afford but Thanksgiving week was $600 and included a hot tub. I find it very relaxing to vacation in the off season and since there are less crowds, hubby is at peace. I don't know the place mentioned by OP so I can't comment on the weather or things to do.

disney4us2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:59 AM   #13
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

ask the snowbirds who head to their condo all winter long on the beach, year after year - they have plenty to do.

In our nearby beach town most places are open...the putt putts, gocart track, restaurants, everything I can think of.

And today it was 72 I believe - the ocean would have been a bit cold, unless your used to cold water. But the air temp perfect for an outside heated pool. THen there are tons of condos which have indoor pools....

the relaxation without crowds is great. But if you are after sunning all day, then no, winter wouldn't be the time to go for you.
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:03 AM   #14
luvmyfam444
DIS Veteran

But I must say if I was just escaping cold weather I'd be heading to WDW for that!
luvmyfam444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:34 AM   #15
shortbun
Peacenik

You said, "Ocean Banks"; I have no idea where that is. If you meant, Outer Banks, I can tell you that some of the Outer Banks have outlet shopping and some historical sightseeing. Others are really desolate so taking some really good books and being sure you have a house with a fireplace would be a real necessity. A few restaurants are open, the grocery, get an oceanfront home with views of the beach. Nothing much else to do there-although on Hatteras, the various fire departments have fish frys on alternating nights and sometimes there's music.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: