Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #16
Omalley
Earning My Ears

Go for it!

I will take a minority opinion and say take the red-eye flight. Our family did a similar scenario last summer going from Michigan to London on a red-eye with a five hour time change. We left at 7 pm, and landed at 8 am (equivalent to 3 am for our bodies). I don't think any of us slept for more than an hour during the 8 hour flight. We arrived at our hotel and toured London for about six hours before heading to the hotel for a two hour nap. We headed back out for dinner and more sightseeing until about 10 pm.

Our kids were 8 and 10, but have traveled quite a bit and I was reasonably sure they could handle it. I made sure to hit the girls 'must see' attractions on that first day to keep them fully engaged. However our touring plans were flexible in case we had to head back to the hotel sooner than planned.

Have a great time with the extra 'day' at WDW.
Omalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:05 PM   #17
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omalley View Post
I will take a minority opinion and say take the red-eye flight. Our family did a similar scenario last summer going from Michigan to London on a red-eye with a five hour time change. We left at 7 pm, and landed at 8 am (equivalent to 3 am for our bodies). I don't think any of us slept for more than an hour during the 8 hour flight. ....
Flying to Europe overnight is completely different from the Op's situation. Most flights from the US to Europe are overnight flights, so you usually don't have a choice of flying during the day (some exceptions; UA has a great daytime flight from IAD-LHR).
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #18
jpeppers
DIS Veteran

I've taken the red eye out of Sea Tac on Alaska numerous times and works out great for myself and my daughter. It is true that sleep is going to be limited but we are able to hit the parks for a few hours on adrenaline and then check into our room and end up getting to bed at a decent hour and get accustomed to the new time zone and are up early the next day ready to start our vacation. I would definitely rather take these flights than 6 am flights when you have to be up at the crack of dawn, I get alot less sleep then but I'm a night person so it comes down to personal preference.
jpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #19
sonogal
Mouseketeer

I think you can do it too. Just don't be too rigid on how you do things/see the park the day of arrival. We did this 2 years ago when our kids were 6, 9, and 11. We arrived to the airport early and I had them lay down and nap until boarding. Then we all slept no problem on the flight.

So I think it's doable, I just wouldn't push it hard the day of arrival. Be prepared to head to your room at check-in, maybe a nap, then dinner/pool time for a little while before bed.

Ask your kids too what they think they could handle and might want to do. Since my kids had a say in it, that made things all that much easier.
2007 Sandals Dunn's River Jamaica
2008 El Dorado Royale Mexico
2009 Carnival Inspiration
2009 Carnival Liberty
2010 Disney Wonder
2010 RCL Liberty of the Seas
2011 Carnival Destiny
2011 Disney Wonder
2011 Oasis of the Seas
2012 Freedom of the Seas
2013 Disney Fantasy
sonogal is offline   Reply With Quote