Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #16
ironz
could always use some pixie dust
 
ironz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: TX
Posts: 2,120

ELECTROLYTES. Don't forget those! Include some in your preface hydration and take them in on race day. Whether it is in the form of sports drink, products such as Nuun, salt tablets, or in your gels/blocks. If you focus too much on the water aspect of hydration, you may put yourself at risk for hyponatremia.
__________________
Betsy

"The miles aren't going to run themselves."

ironz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #17
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyecinderella View Post
So if I don't carry my own water, and Run
Disney runs out, can I buy a bottle of water from a vendor as I run through the theme parks, like AK, DHS, Epcot? Just wondering how close we'd be to the eateries and vendors along the route.

Thanks for starting the weather thread, Coach. I was hoping you would!
Yes... Kind of. If the park is open, we run down the main paths in AK, DHS and Epcot and many of the vendors are open as we pass. What I had happened was a nice lady came up at John's McFlurry overpass with a case of ice cold water bottles. She handed me on and I passed it around to a couple of runners I had been playing tag with. There was also a TNT coach at the Yacht club with a shoebox full of ice. Runners were grabbing as we passed by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
So when they ran out of water, it wasn't the entire course that was out, just a couple of the stops? I think I'll *gulp * trust the race organizers and hope for the best.
What I recall was tables folding on Bear Island at the mile 14 area. Then for me, the mile 19, 20 and 21 stops were either completely folded up or nearly gone. We did have water at the remaining stops.

Again, I do not mean to put a great fear in folks, I think 2007 was an outlier and that Disney would never let this happen again. I know that communications are much better for the stations than in the past. Also, looking at the configuration of their location on the new course one can see that all are serviceable by vehicles during the race. That was not the case with some of the locations in the past.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ironz View Post
ELECTROLYTES. Don't forget those! Include some in your preface hydration and take them in on race day. Whether it is in the form of sports drink, products such as Nuun, salt tablets, or in your gels/blocks. If you focus too much on the water aspect of hydration, you may put yourself at risk for hyponatremia.
Great catch. As the conditions near their Yellow Flag conditions, you may start seeing the rD folks suggesting every runner take PowerAde as they drink. If one has not experimented with extra electrolytes and think of adding them at this point in time I would suggest making sure the supplement is buffered. As Betsy points out, the sport drink and sport oriented fuels (gels, block, etc but not pure candy) carry some electrolytic supplementation. So MOST runners will get all they need through their training supplementation. If you are worried, a buffered supplement may not upset the GI tract. I use Endurolytes – but there are other endurance oriented electrolytes. I would not use the old fill a contacts case with table salt or sea salt method of supplementing electrolytes UNLESS you have tried in training. The solids load from that method can wipe out the GI system and actually rob the body of hydration as it attempts to deal with that immediate load.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #18
dragitoff
DIS Veteran
 
dragitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,126

I've been training with Sports Drinks with electrolytes. I had planned on not wearing my fuel belt with hydration holsters in favor of my fuel belt with only a small pocket and number clips. Does Disney offer Sports Drinks? I thought I had read they did at certain stops but not all of them. If so, which ones are they? I usually do not intake anything (food or drink) until at least 45 minutes into my run. I may need to re-think that strategy slightly if needed.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #19
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer
 
magicLAL12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: the ocean state
Posts: 262

Re: Water & Electrolytes.

Do they generally hand out cups of water or small bottles? I am planning to bring either Electrolyte tablets or powder with me to make my own hydration drink (which I have used during training), and was wondering what to prepare for.

Thanks!
__________________



Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay
.

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins
 
Tiger Lily 03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,660
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12 View Post
Re: Water & Electrolytes.

Do they generally hand out cups of water or small bottles? I am planning to bring either Electrolyte tablets or powder with me to make my own hydration drink (which I have used during training), and was wondering what to prepare for.

Thanks!
Small Dixie like cups usually half filled. I usually always bring one water bottle on my belt. However it is usually not necessary to bring your own to events.
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
rocio
DIS Veteran
 
rocio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
I've been training with Sports Drinks with electrolytes. I had planned on not wearing my fuel belt with hydration holsters in favor of my fuel belt with only a small pocket and number clips. Does Disney offer Sports Drinks? I thought I had read they did at certain stops but not all of them. If so, which ones are they? I usually do not intake anything (food or drink) until at least 45 minutes into my run. I may need to re-think that strategy slightly if needed.
They serve Powerade but it is pretty watered down. I will bring my sports beans and alternate water and powerade from them. I did that at the Princess and it worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12 View Post
Re: Water & Electrolytes.

Do they generally hand out cups of water or small bottles? I am planning to bring either Electrolyte tablets or powder with me to make my own hydration drink (which I have used during training), and was wondering what to prepare for.

Thanks!
They hand out cups.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #22
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragitoff View Post
I've been training with Sports Drinks with electrolytes. I had planned on not wearing my fuel belt with hydration holsters in favor of my fuel belt with only a small pocket and number clips. Does Disney offer Sports Drinks? I thought I had read they did at certain stops but not all of them. If so, which ones are they? I usually do not intake anything (food or drink) until at least 45 minutes into my run. I may need to re-think that strategy slightly if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12 View Post
Re: Water & Electrolytes.

Do they generally hand out cups of water or small bottles? I am planning to bring either Electrolyte tablets or powder with me to make my own hydration drink (which I have used during training), and was wondering what to prepare for.

Thanks!
Both good questions

All aid stations will have water and PowerAde (Green Flavor). The typical set up is 5-10 tables of water on both sides of the road followed by a simialr number of sport drink tables.

Note the sport drink is mixed about half strength for the race. Also, note that the bottled PowerAde formulation is not quite the same at the powdered version used by races. The reason for half strength is mainly to assure the powder mixes well in the cool to cold water.

All drinks are served in cups. Cups are usually filled about half way - so plan on 2-5 oz of fluid from each cup.

Dragitoff, since you are planning on running the entire distance, practice taking water from a cup on race day. I would set up a few half filled cups. Take one and whle running down the street, pinch the cup topso you have a small opening nearest you. Optionally, you can fold the top side over or just keep it pinched. I then kind of drink from the side of my mouth by tilting. Practice a few times, esle you will get wet only on the outside.

http://blog.timesunion.com/running/f.../cup_pinch.jpg - here is a photo of what I am saying when I say pinch the cup. I close off the section in my hand and drink from the opening away from my hand.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/

Last edited by cewait; 01-02-2013 at 10:59 AM.
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #23
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins
 
Tiger Lily 03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,660
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
...After 2010 I will never be unprepared again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
The latest from the services this morning.
Remember, this is the dry season and without a change in temperature from a front, the chances of anything other than sprinkles is remote. I am not seeing where Accuweather is getting the energy source for the rain on Friday and Friday evening.

This will be one of the hotter marathons in Disney history at these forecasts. Prepare NOW. Start by thinking about your hydration actions taken earlier in the fall. Mid week next week, start hydrating and making sure that you are topping off the tank by sipping all day. Think of your hydration strategy and how warm mile 11-13 or 15-26 will be when the sun is out and beating on the pavement in front of you.

Now is not the time to not think of surviving a cool morning, and I would still have in my ‘take on trip’ stack a set of cool weather clothes.

NWS
7-Day forecast

Weather
5k – 60F – Hi 76F
Half – 56F – No forecast
Full – No Forecast

Wunderground
5k – 61F Fog – Hi 75F
Half – 61F Fog – Hi 73F
Full – 61F – No Forecast

Accuweather
5k – 59F – Hi 80F – Rain >50%
Half – 57F – Hi 77F
Full – 58F – Hi 77F


The norms for the race weekend are a low of 49F and high of 70F. This produces an average temp for race day of 59F.
A little warmer than I would like but not like the African Safari temps in '07 where I was victimized with no water during the "death march" portion of the event towards the end mileage. After that, I have NEVER gone without my one water bottle attached to my belt.

Also, with 2010 being so cold, I will still have my layers packed and may even bring them to throw down just cuz I've been saving them all year for the event!
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:01 AM   #24
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer
 
magicLAL12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: the ocean state
Posts: 262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily 03 View Post
Small Dixie like cups usually half filled. I usually always bring one water bottle on my belt. However it is usually not necessary to bring your own to events.
Okay, thank you, Tiger Lily! I think I will plan on relying on the Disney drinks, rather than carrying my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
They serve Powerade but it is pretty watered down. I will bring my sports beans and alternate water and powerade from them. I did that at the Princess and it worked for me.


They hand out cups.
Thanks, rocio!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Both good questions

All aid stations will have water and PowerAde (Green Flavor). The typical set up is 5-10 tables of water on both sides of the road followed by a simialr number of sport drink tables.

Note the sport drink is mixed about half strength for the race. Also, note that the bottled PowerAde formulation is not quite the same at the powdered version used by races. The reason for half strength is mainly to assure the powder mixes well in the cool to cold water.

All drinks are served in cups. Cups are usually filled about half way - so plan on 2-5 oz of fluid from each cup.
Thanks, Coach! I will plan on that amount for my hydration mixes.
__________________



Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay
.

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #25
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily 03 View Post
A little warmer than I would like but not like the African Safari temps in '07 where I was victimized with no water during the "death march" portion of the event towards the end mileage. After that, I have NEVER gone without my one water bottle attached to my belt.

Also, with 2010 being so cold, I will still have my layers packed and may even bring them to throw down just cuz I've been saving them all year for the event!
I like your Mayor McCheese Sash in the photos... Mine is on the frame I had made for the 2010 weekend
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
dragitoff
DIS Veteran
 
dragitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,126

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Both good questions

All aid stations will have water and PowerAde (Green Flavor). The typical set up is 5-10 tables of water on both sides of the road followed by a simialr number of sport drink tables.

Note the sport drink is mixed about half strength for the race. Also, note that the bottled PowerAde formulation is not quite the same at the powdered version used by races. The reason for half strength is mainly to assure the powder mixes well in the cool to cold water.

All drinks are served in cups. Cups are usually filled about half way - so plan on 2-5 oz of fluid from each cup.

Dragitoff, since you are planning on running the entire distance, practice taking water from a cup on race day. I would set up a few half filled cups. Take one and whle running down the street, pinch the cup topso you have a small opening nearest you. Optionally, you can fold the top side over or just keep it pinched. I then kind of drink from the side of my mouth by tilting. Practice a few times, esle you will get wet only on the outside.

http://blog.timesunion.com/running/f.../cup_pinch.jpg - here is a photo of what I am saying when I say pinch the cup. I close off the section in my hand and drink from the opening away from my hand.
Tips like these are why you're the best coach in the biz! I fuel with Clif Shot Bloks so I'm getting electrolytes through those as well. I'm also accustomed to running in the south's high humidity so it may not bother me as much as others. I will; however, have to rethink my attire. My kids made me a running shirt to wear in the marathon and unfortunately, it's color and size make it not so attractive on my 215lb frame without an under-shirt (compression shirt with sleeves is what I usually wear in colder temps). Looks like I'll be wearing a singlet and my removeable sleeves. Might just let them decorate the singlet for me.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
honeyrun
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 11

My biggest concern is between mile 9 and 12. Looks like almost 2.5 miles between water stops. I programmed my garmin so I could practice my hydration based on the water stop locations. Seems like this is to long for me between water stops and I over drink at mile 12 and get bad GI issues. Thinking about running with a small bottle to fill at mile 9 to get me through to 12.
honeyrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #28
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,238

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyrun View Post
My biggest concern is between mile 9 and 12. Looks like almost 2.5 miles between water stops. I programmed my garmin so I could practice my hydration based on the water stop locations. Seems like this is to long for me between water stops and I over drink at mile 12 and get bad GI issues. Thinking about running with a small bottle to fill at mile 9 to get me through to 12.
Hmm, thanks for pointing that out...I hadn't noticed that. From what I remember that portion of the route had lots of trees = shade...but still...


Anyhoo, my strategy is to try to remember to alternate water/Powerade at each stop and that got me through last year.
Ariel484 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #29
dragitoff
DIS Veteran
 
dragitoff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Hmm, thanks for pointing that out...I hadn't noticed that. From what I remember that portion of the route had lots of trees = shade...but still...


Anyhoo, my strategy is to try to remember to alternate water/Powerade at each stop and that got me through last year.
You also have to consider the time of morning you will be hitting those specific spots. I printed the map and got a breakdown of each corral starting time to estimate when I'd hit each spot. I did this more for my family to give them an estimate of when I'd be passing through spectator viewing areas, but it is also good at determining when you'd hit the toughest (and hottest) spots on the course. I hadn't thought of doing it for the aid stations until this weekend when I decided to pass on wearing my fuel belt with drink holsters.

I will definitely be doing that though. I usually don't start fueling/drinking anything until at least 45 minutes into my run. Then, I drink a little something every 20-30 minutes or so and re-fuel every 45 minutes.
dragitoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:48 PM   #30
jcd2010
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you may be looking at just the aid stations, not the water stations. They are marked with a W
jcd2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.