Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #31
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
Didn't ask if they were CM or Race Officials but they were politely insisting that they were to be the last to start. I did start a few feet in front of them and was looking forward so I did not crash into another racer. Guess if someone wanted to make sure they were behind the Ladies an actual Race Official might just DQ the person by making a note of their number.

But every race is another start and things could be different this year.
I'm not planning on doing it, but I am curious as to how a race official would DQ someone for having the temerity to start behind the balloon ladies. FWIW, I don't recall seeing anything officially stating that the balloon ladies had to be last.*

FWIW, I have been the last person to start a race before. Got stuck in line at a porta, behind people who were in the race that started after mine. By the time I convinced them to let me cut in line, and make my way to the start, I was a good 3-4 minutes behind the second-to-last group.

* I suspect that they are last primarily by long-standing tradition, in the same way that Helen Thomas always got to ask the first question.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #32
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
Thanks..didn't know that.

I have never actually taken anything like that before a race but its more of a comfort for me...knowing I have it....

Though once I had a terrible headache in the days leading up to a half...I was downing all sorts of pills to make it go away. It actually went away the day of the half...but I couldn't run...nor jog...just walk...the whole half...I would start to do a light jog and would be out of breath...It was from the meds I had taken...they took a toll on me. Lucky it was a half with drop dead gorgeous scenery! So it was the best half to walk.
You might want to read the race program. It has one of the better discussions on when NSAIDs would be acceptable. Generally for the Goofy, not after Friday and then on Sunday not until your renal system kicks back in...

Tylenol is an acceptable form of anti-inflammatory and is handed up during the race
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #33
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
I'm not planning on doing it, but I am curious as to how a race official would DQ someone for having the temerity to start behind the balloon ladies. FWIW, I don't recall seeing anything officially stating that the balloon ladies had to be last.*

FWIW, I have been the last person to start a race before. Got stuck in line at a porta, behind people who were in the race that started after mine. By the time I convinced them to let me cut in line, and make my way to the start, I was a good 3-4 minutes behind the second-to-last group.

* I suspect that they are last primarily by long-standing tradition, in the same way that Helen Thomas always got to ask the first question.
As far as DQing, that was just a thought about what they could do if they take the Balloon Ladies last over start real serious. The other method could be to shut down the starting mat.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 12:57 PM   #34
SAHDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
As far as DQing, that was just a thought about what they could do if they take the Balloon Ladies last over start real serious. The other method could be to shut down the starting mat.
Oh, I'm not saying that they could not do it, just that it seemed like a really bizarre step to take, especially if the balloon ladies do not operate in any official capacity.

Current running streak - 2017 days in a row. Yearly mileage to date: 179.1. Last update: 2/25/14.

All runners are equal. Some however, are apparently more equal than others.
SAHDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:15 PM   #35
JeffW
Earning My Ears

First time for Goofy, although I've run half and full marathons before.

My plan is to run the half with my wife (about 1 min/mile slower than my training pace), run the first half of the full at training pace, and see what I have left for the last 13.1. I was hoping for some benefit coming to sea level from Colorado, but its starting to look like temperature will nullify any of that.

I'm also a sucker for Donald/Goofy/Pluto, so any photo ops will trigger a "rest" period.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #36
VernRDH
Sharing the same birthday with my baby girl and Mickey Mouse

Plan for Goofy-for the half, there are a group of us (I think 6-7) that will run roughly the same pace. My FIL is running and I have been instructed by DH that if I have to fall down or fake menstrual cramps, I am to let him beat me. (long story) My running coach and I are looking at about a 2:30-2:45 finish.

For the full, we have a *little* time constraint. We are driving to Port Canaveral IMMEDIATELY following the marathon to board Freedom of the Seas for a week. So running coach and I are looking at a 5 hour marathon. I want to have FUN at both races, time is not as important to me this time. And since this is my last full, I want to enjoy it as much as one can.
VernRDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #37
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
I was hoping for some benefit coming to sea level from Colorado, but its starting to look like temperature will nullify any of that. .
I don't think the temps will nullify that. Your legs may get tired, but your lungs will be great. I did that from Reno one time and it was fantastic.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #38
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
I don't think the temps will nullify that. Your legs may get tired, but your lungs will be great. I did that from Reno one time and it was fantastic.
Funny you mentioned that. Everytime I go to El Paso to watch my grand-children, I go from 12 feet above sea level to 4,200-5,280 feet above and I have better times and feel great.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:06 PM   #39
JeffW
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep

I am definitely a cold weather runner (long sleeve shirt and shorts for a 30 degree run today), so I'll cross my fingers for the best. I tried a few short runs on the dreadmill last week just to try 60's again. Just need to stay up on the hydration and the salt!
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:47 AM   #40
Freight Train
Earning My Ears

Technical question

First time Goofy, looking for guidance from vets.

I know that the sweepers operate on 16:00/mile measured from the point at which the last person stops. In other words, if you start the race 2 minutes before the last person, you are allowed 16:00/mile plus the two minute buffer without getting swept (in theory).

However, I was looknig at the Goofy race instructions, and it says that the Goofy medal will be awarded once they verify you have completed both races within the "allotted times". What that says to me is they will consider your net time (in other words, a strict 16:00/mile), not 16:00/mile plus the buffer.

I conclude from reading this that you can actually finish both races, collect your medals, and still not be Goofy-eligible if, say in the above scenario, you finish the half in 3:31.

Have I got this right? I'm not trying to skirt any rule in any way. The only reason I want to get this right is that my thought had been to try to start near the front of my (admittedly last) corral to try to take advantage of even a small buffer. If my take on this is right, it really makes no difference where I start in the corral because the buffer ultimately does me little good.

Sorry to be uber-technical on this, but I'm working with a small margin for error and I want to make sure my (limited) strategic decisions are sound. In English, I'm trying to figure out how many photo stops I can get away with given my 14:30 pace. Thanks.
Freight Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #41
Rupert B Puppenstein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freight Train View Post
First time Goofy, looking for guidance from vets.

I know that the sweepers operate on 16:00/mile measured from the point at which the last person stops. In other words, if you start the race 2 minutes before the last person, you are allowed 16:00/mile plus the two minute buffer without getting swept (in theory).

However, I was looknig at the Goofy race instructions, and it says that the Goofy medal will be awarded once they verify you have completed both races within the "allotted times". What that says to me is they will consider your net time (in other words, a strict 16:00/mile), not 16:00/mile plus the buffer.

I conclude from reading this that you can actually finish both races, collect your medals, and still not be Goofy-eligible if, say in the above scenario, you finish the half in 3:31.

Have I got this right? I'm not trying to skirt any rule in any way. The only reason I want to get this right is that my thought had been to try to start near the front of my (admittedly last) corral to try to take advantage of even a small buffer. If my take on this is right, it really makes no difference where I start in the corral because the buffer ultimately does me little good.

Sorry to be uber-technical on this, but I'm working with a small margin for error and I want to make sure my (limited) strategic decisions are sound. In English, I'm trying to figure out how many photo stops I can get away with given my 14:30 pace. Thanks.
They just hand you the medal, and don't verify your times. If you have a Goofy bib on, and you cross the finish line, you get a Goofy medal. I assume that you could still get a Goofy medal (although not ethical) if you had a Goofy bib, but just finished the Marathon and either skipped the Half or got swept from the Half. The buffer is going to work the same as any race, so the sweeping rules don't apply any differently to the Goofy Challengers.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #42
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

It is a natural concern because I know Disney has all these warnings about keeping a certain pace (or else!). Though then thinking about it, there are about 20000 or so runners in the full and who would have time to check someones time as they crossed the finish line - before they got their Goofy medal - without causing some kind of backed up chaos. But I totally get the concern.

BTW I see on facebook that there two Mickey Mouse full marathon medals...or is that not correct. Looks like a color one and a black and white with an older style Mickey. Are they alternating medals to finsihers? Some get the color and some get the b/w...Or was that just some kind of a photo promo. Just curious. No matter, I actually like both.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #43
halvnorsk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofeygirl View Post
It is a natural concern because I know Disney has all these warnings about keeping a certain pace (or else!). Though then thinking about it, there are about 20000 or so runners in the full and who would have time to check someones time as they crossed the finish line - before they got their Goofy medal - without causing some kind of backed up chaos. But I totally get the concern.

BTW I see on facebook that there two Mickey Mouse full marathon medals...or is that not correct. Looks like a color one and a black and white with an older style Mickey. Are they alternating medals to finsihers? Some get the color and some get the b/w...Or was that just some kind of a photo promo. Just curious. No matter, I actually like both.
The center spins - one side is color, the other b/w.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #44
cfelix2k
Earning My Ears

First Goofy (and first Disney run), have a few half's and fulls under my belt. Plan on running the half for time and the full for fun. Nursing an achilles tendon issue from the Runners world hat trick and looking forward to making the full an "event" not a race.
cfelix2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #45
Freight Train
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone! I'll go back to going crazy about other inconsequential things now!
Freight Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: