Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
DisneyokwSSR
Mouseketeer

Age Restriction at Serenity Bay Cabana

I was so excited about finally finding and booking a cabana for our upcoming cruise (have been checking numerous times a day for weeks). However, I just realized the only available cabana, which I booked, is at Serenity Bay and one member of our group is age 17 1/2. Does anyone know if our under age 18 guest will be prohibited and if I will have to give up the cabana?

Thanks.
DisneyokwSSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyokwSSR View Post
I was so excited about finally finding and booking a cabana for our upcoming cruise (have been checking numerous times a day for weeks). However, I just realized the only available cabana, which I booked, is at Serenity Bay and one member of our group is age 17 1/2. Does anyone know if our under age 18 guest will be prohibited and if I will have to give up the cabana?

Thanks.
Disney is firm on age restrictions. No under 18s allowed in adult only areas.

If you booked a cabana at Serenity Bay, the maximum number of wristbands you would get would be 4. Are there 4 over 18s in your group? If not you will only get wristbands for the number of over 18s you have.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #3
DisneyokwSSR
Mouseketeer

I thought we could have 4 plus pay for an additioanl 2. That is what I read online, perhaps that has changed? Everyone else is over age 18 (way, way over age 18) and the one is 17 1/2.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

17 is not an adult by DCL's definition and will not be permitted in any adult area where they are carded. Yes, we are well aware that there are people who violate the rules, but they are subject to being carded and asked to leave. Since the cabana requires an reservation (same as Palo ro Remy), the 17 can't get a wrist band and can't be on the adult beach.

This applies whether they are 17+ 1 day or 17+364 days. "Almost" doesn't count.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I thought we could have 4 plus pay for an additioanl 2. That is what I read online, perhaps that has changed? Everyone else is over age 18 (way, way over age 18) and the one is 17 1/2.
The Serinity Bay cabanas cost covers up to 4 people (of at least 18 years old). You can add up to 2 additonal people (at $50 each) for a max of 6 people (over the age of 18).

If you have 4 people in your room, 3 over 18 and one under 18, you will receive 3 wristbands for the cabana. If you are linked with others for a total of 6 people, and one of those people is under 18 you will only be able to book 5 people in the cabana.

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #6
DisneyokwSSR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
17 is not an adult by DCL's definition and will not be permitted in any adult area where they are carded. Yes, we are well aware that there are people who violate the rules, but they are subject to being carded and asked to leave. Since the cabana requires an reservation (same as Palo ro Remy), the 17 can't get a wrist band and can't be on the adult beach.

This applies whether they are 17+ 1 day or 17+364 days. "Almost" doesn't count.
No one asked if "almost" would count and no one gave any indication they would try to violate the rules. The simple question was if a 17 1/2 year old would be prohibited from the cabana, since I am not sure if that it technically on the adult beach or not. Was looking for information from a well-educate, seasoned, and helpful Dis Veteran. This response fell short of my expectations.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
DisneyokwSSR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
The Serinity Bay cabanas cost covers up to 4 people (of at least 18 years old). You can add up to 2 additonal people (at $50 each) for a max of 6 people (over the age of 18).

If you have 4 people in your room, 3 over 18 and one under 18, you will receive 3 wristbands for the cabana. If you are linked with others for a total of 6 people, and one of those people is under 18 you will only be able to book 5 people in the cabana.

Thank you. This information is helpful.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
No one asked if "almost" would count and no one gave any indication they would try to violate the rules. The simple question was if a 17 1/2 year old would be prohibited from the cabana, since I am not sure if that it technically on the adult beach or not. Was looking for information from a well-educate, seasoned, and helpful Dis Veteran. This response fell short of my expectations.
This subject (can my almost 18 year old) is a pretty touchy one here.

Since the cabana in question is on Serenity Bay, and Serenity Bay is designated as adult-only, then the 17 year old would not be allowed in.

Old 01-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Quote:

Thanks.
A guest under 18 will not be allowed in a cabana at Serenity Bay.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Quote:
.... Was looking for information from a well-educate, seasoned, and helpful Dis Veteran. This response fell short of my expectations.
Kcashner is definitely all of the above and has posted of her experience with her DD as she grew up going on cruises, including one where she turned 18 onboard. She was not allowed to book Palo until her actual birthday, not the day before. She took the time to explain why instead of simply posting "No."

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I beg to differ, your wording is indeed asking if they will let someone under 18 or *almost* 18 in the cabana. Kcashner is one of those very helpful and knowledgeable disers and did nothing more then give you information. Her answer was very on point and polite.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:30 PM   #12
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I beg to differ, your wording is indeed asking if they will let someone under 18 or *almost* 18 in the cabana. Kcashner is one of those very helpful and knowledgeable disers and did nothing more then give you information. Her answer was very on point and polite.

AKK
Actually, as highly as I think of kcashner, I can totally see the OP's point. If you didn't know kcashner, her response does read a little sarcastic. The OP did not ask "Is there anyway I can get my 17 1/2 year old into a Cabana at Serenity Bay even though she's not allowed there?" She asked "Is she allowed there?" If you're not familiar with DCL's policies, it's a perfectly reasonable question. Not all cruiselines are as hard-lined about "adult only" as DCL is.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:45 PM   #13
allears
"If I were not upon the sea..." I want to already have another cruise booked!

allears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #14
GBBTomorrow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyokwSSR

Wow, I really disagree with your hostile response to the poster. It seems that the poster answered your question clearly and directly. You wanted to know if almost 18 counts as 18 and that's exactly what the poster answered.
GBBTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
Actually, as highly as I think of kcashner, I can totally see the OP's point. If you didn't know kcashner, her response does read a little sarcastic. The OP did not ask "Is there anyway I can get my 17 1/2 year old into a Cabana at Serenity Bay even though she's not allowed there?" She asked "Is she allowed there?" If you're not familiar with DCL's policies, it's a perfectly reasonable question. Not all cruiselines are as hard-lined about "adult only" as DCL is.

Sayhello

Sorry I disagree..........I found the OP wording to qiute clearly ask that she wanted to know if 17 1/2 was close enough to get her in and most who answered told her politely and clearly that no it was not.

She asked if her 17 1/2 year old was allowed, when she was very aware that DCL rules was 18. That clear says/asks ..........Can or how can I get her in when she's under 18???

If anything I found the op's follow up to Kcashings response rude and snearky.

just MHO

AKK

Last edited by Tonka's Skipper; 01-19-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: