Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Canadiancruiser2
Mouseketeer

How safe is the food in Puerto Rico?

We're taking a private tour of San Juan that includes a food kiosk for some lunch. As we've never been to San Juan before, we just wanted to find out whether it's safe to eat the food there? Should we only drink bottled water and watch out for ice cubes in drinks? I know Puerto Rico is an US state, but we just want to make sure the food is generally safe to consume.

Is it a good idea to get vaccinated for Hepatitis A/B before we go?
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #2
klepton
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancruiser2 View Post
We're taking a private tour of San Juan that includes a food kiosk for some lunch. As we've never been to San Juan before, we just wanted to find out whether it's safe to eat the food there? Should we only drink bottled water and watch out for ice cubes in drinks? I know Puerto Rico is an US state, but we just want to make sure the food is generally safe to consume.

Well I'm not a doctor or food critic, but we've been to San Juan multiple times and never had any issues. In fact we love the food there! I've never heard of any problems with water there either. I bought a Tripleta from a street vendor once, and it was magnificent!

When I told my doctor I was going there, he just recommended I get the flu shot and my h1n1 shot, but that was 2-3 years ago when h1n1 was a big deal. He didn't mention anything about Hepatitis, but wouldn't hurt to ask your doctor.
klepton is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 AM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:

You can get food poisoning from a kiosk in the States. Without seeing the condition of the place in San Juan, how could you really know? If it's in a clean, upscale area, it should be fine, but I'd sure avoid the food in seedy areas.

Last time i checked, Puerto Rico hasn't become a state -- it's a territory.

As for vaccinations, we didn't bother, but you might want to speak to your family doctor about it. http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinat...uerto-rico.htm
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #4
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:

First off Puerto Rico is not an US state it is an unincorporated territory of the United States. Secondly the food is just fine and so is the water.
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:25 AM   #5
super mike b
DIS Veteran

Safe!!
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
MCO mama
Mouseketeer

The food in PR is AWESOME!!! We have been several times and have never had any problems. Empanadas, mofongo, YUM!
MCO mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #7
MillauFr
Buzz & Woody

Watch the movie Food.Inc. I'll never buy chicken from a major US Food manufacturer again. Totally nasty how they run those places. Puerto Rico may actually be safer than the rest of the US.
MillauFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #8
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We love buying food from the street vendor carts. Especially the shaved ice. It is usually $1.
stsomewhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:08 PM   #9
Silver Queen
DIS Veteran

I believe that Puerto Ricois actually a Commonwealth of the US. That may be one step above a territory. We were in San Juan on Wednesday on our cruise and both the food and water were fine.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klepton View Post
Well I'm not a doctor or food critic, but we've been to San Juan multiple times and never had any issues. In fact we love the food there! I've never heard of any problems with water there either. I bought a Tripleta from a street vendor once, and it was magnificent!.
I too have been to Puerto Rico/San Juan many times for business over the last 30 years or so & never had a problem. The food is great & the island is a wonderful destination.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #11
DisneyDream2B
Mouseketeer

Where can we find the street vendor carts?

Thanks
DisneyDream2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #12
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Probably just as safe as the hot dog carts on the streets of New York city.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:54 PM   #13
Canadiancruiser2
Mouseketeer

Thank you for all the replies. Sorry about the confusion regarding states and territories (commonwealth).

We just wanted to be cautious with food especially if we don't know where we will eat on our tour. It's good to know that it's generally safe. We will ask our tour guide to take us to a more upscale restaurant. Anyone knows of a nice place to eat along the way back to the ship from El Yunque?

We've seen some commercials about contracting Hep A in the Caribbean, not sure if it's necessary to get vaccinated for Puerto Rico. Will check with my MD.
Old 01-19-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

I would worry about the food in Mexico but only because of the potential contamination in the water. M
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #15
GreatMouseDetective
Unlocking Disney Secrets!

The food in Puerto Rico is not like Mexico. This is a very common misconception. It's like eating in the states. In fact don't be surprised when you see Starbucks, Burger King, Macaroni Grill, and Chili's (Just to name a few places) ... LOL
GreatMouseDetective is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: