Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

Having trouble planning for winter cruise weather

Forecast shows high 70s and low 80s-perfect. Never cruised at this time before. I originally planned for these mild perfect temps however found posts from people stating how cold they were during winter cruising. I am from ohio. 70s even low 70s is heaven if it FEELS like 70. Is there much wind effect while outside on deck? I just don't remember from last time. And how cranked is the a/c. I also don't remember this.
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyLovesPeter View Post
Forecast shows high 70s and low 80s-perfect. Never cruised at this time before. I originally planned for these mild perfect temps however found posts from people stating how cold they were during winter cruising. I am from ohio. 70s even low 70s is heaven if it FEELS like 70. Is there much wind effect while outside on deck? I just don't remember from last time. And how cranked is the a/c. I also don't remember this.
The only thing I do differently as far as packing for winter month cruises vs. summer month cruising is I bring a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt or jacket and a pair of comy full lengh pants like yoga pants or sweat pants (but not with the elastic bottoms)...nice ones.

I still pack short sleeve tops and capris.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 1 time

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
sambycat
DIS Veteran

it wil definitely be warm to you! also i find that even when the temps are 70/80s they tend to feel warmer in florida/bahamas/etc (i live in texas) due to the humidity?

for winter months, i still am bringing summer clothes though. its nice too because jeans and a tank top are more of a comfortable option (and good for indoors air conditioned spaces as well) then they are in the summer. the dining rooms are on the cool side, so even in summer i’ve brought something for my shoulders just in case. we’ve had castaway cay days where we swam and some that seemed a bit chilly.

i think on deck in january the most clothes i’ve ever had on was a thin long sleeved t shirt and jeans with flip flops. it could feel cooler on the ship on deck when its moving. just toss a couple layering tees in with your options!

sambycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
owensamo
DIS Veteran

We've cruised twice in January, and I've usually wanted a sweater or light-weight fleece on deck at night. When the ship is moving and the sun's not out, the breeze is chilly! I've also always thought the dining rooms and some of the other interior spaces (movie theater, etc) are chilly enough to pack a sweater.

I think a pair of jeans (which you'll probably want to leave home in anyway) and sweater/sweatshirt/jacket should be fine. If you're flying, you'll want something warm to leave and come home in anyway. There is laundry on the ship, so you can always wash if you end up colder than you expected - or better yet, buy a souvenir to keep you warm! The shops will all carry long-sleeved shirts, jackets, sweaters and pants, along with an assortment of blankets!
Disney Magic: 7N - 1/19/08, 1/17/09, 12/19/09; 14N EBTA - 5/14/11; 12N N Europe - 7/22/15
owensamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
WendyLovesPeter
I wanna go back. I gotta go back to WDW!

I am wearing yoga pants and hooded zip sweat on the plaine. right now I have 1 dress, 1 skirt outfit and the rest capri outfits for nights. I am assuming it will be warm enough for shorts during the day. I keep debating do I need day casual day capris too. Considering the 4 princess dresses I am taking for my daughters what is one more pair of capri pants!

I did not know you could do laundry... always an option I suppose if there is an emergency
WendyLovesPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

Each year we plan a vacation for the days between Christmas and New Year. Last year we cruised on DCL and this year we went to Bermuda. We do exactly what MJ wrote. I still bring my tropical dresses plus a matching cardigan, DH packs some pants in addition to shorts, and for DD we bring her typical vaction clothes plus some hooded sweatshirts. Although this week we had weather in the 70's (which for some is cold) we still went to the beach or heated pool everyday. And we actually enjoyed the mild weather the couple days we went sightseeing because we were comfortable not sweating. And while everyone back home was shoveling snow we were walking around in the sun without jackets. For us cruising is enjoyable no matter the time of year or weather

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
eemaxx
Mouseketeer

My family was on the Holiday cruise over Christmas in 2011, and although I had one zip up fleece and one pair of capris (the rest were shorts, skorts, tank tops and Ts), I wish I had had at least one long sleeve shirt and another sweatshirt or fleece. During the day we wore shorts and tank tops (or swimsuits although we didn't swim- the kids did!) I was prepared for a freezing cold dining room, since other Royal Caribbean cruises I've been on we're so cold, but I was pleasantly surprised that the main dining rooms were not cold...and I'm always cold! I did always take my fleece though just in case. The day at CC was chilly when we got off the boat but after sitting in the sunshine for a bit, we were able to take off sweatshirts and relax in our swimsuits by the water. The kids dipped their ankles in the water at CC, but it was pretty cold so we mostly played in the sand. We will be on the Fantasy later in January and this time I'm bringing half wetsuits for the kids so they can better enjoy the water at CC and the pools on board on cooler days. One thing I did last time that I will probably do again is wear toe socks with flip flops on the flight down (with comfy pants, tank top, sweatshirt and fleece...we're from Pennsylvania) and then you're set for whatever weather you fly into! In Cozumel I wore a tank top and skirt and was comfortable. In Key West I needed my fleece. Also in the mornings on the ship I needed a sweatshirt. Hoping for warm weather this time but I will be prepared with another pair of yoga pants and another long sleeve shirt just in case!
eemaxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: