Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Food in Kids Oceaneer Club/Lab

What was served?
How much was served?
Did they find kids who were supposed to eat or did the child have to listen for an announcement?
Times food is served (or general times)?

Any other info that might be helpful would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Meal times in the programming are listed in the Navigator. There is no "grazing." If a child is hungry outside of meal times, the parent is called.

A few years ago, all kids who were in the programming were required to sit down at meal times whether they ate or not--it was assumed that if they were in there during that time, they were supposed to eat. No more. If a child is playing and doesn't want to eat, that is OK.

The way around this is that if you need your child to eat in the programming, tell both the child and the CM who checks you in. They will make an effort....

What was served for dinner the one time I saw it was sandwiches and fruit. Honestly, it wasn't terribly appetizing and I don't think it would have filled a big 10-12 year old. Of course, if allowed by parents the older kid can sign themselves out and go to the pool deck for something more interesting.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Here's a recent report I read over on Cruise Critic:

Not on the Fantasy last week as I picked my DS up for AP just prior to dinner. They had a wide selection of the kids' menu for the kids to pick from (e.g., vegetables, Mickey shaped pasta with tomato sauce, chicken strips, Mac and cheese, etc.). They had two entree and two vegetable choices the two nights I actually saw the meals.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
dpantry
Disney Dad enjoying my Disney family!

Do the children get to eat with CM getting them food? Does food get brought to them during meal times? Or is the parent to come and check them out and get them to the meals?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:25 AM   #5
jkrislc
DIS Veteran

The CM serves up the food for the kids based on what they say they want. However, they also made it clear that while food is available, thy don't ensure that the kids eat. An announcement is made and it is up to the kids to stop playing and to go eat. This month on the Fantasy the food was available for lunch from 12-1 and 5-6.
jkrislc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantry View Post
Do the children get to eat with CM getting them food? Does food get brought to them during meal times? Or is the parent to come and check them out and get them to the meals?
Your choice. There are food times listed in the Navigator when food is served in the programming. NOTE--this is likely to NOT be the same time as your dinner seating. A parent may choose to have them eat in the programming or a parent may go and check out the kid and take them to meals. That is totally up to the parent.

You can hypothetically drop off your kid at 9 am and not pick them up till midnight (on most days) and they will be fed and cared for.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
lucyem
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like we will need to feed the kiddos before they go to the club on nights we are planning remy etc. My oldest might notice food and might bother eating. My youngest would probably never even notice.
Old 01-19-2013, 12:11 PM   #8
jahber
DIS Veteran

The food choices aren't very exciting to an adult I guess, but it was a highlight of the cruise for my kids to eat there. My tiny 8yo daughter who normally eats like a bird ate 6 sandwiches for lunch one day. Granted, they were quite small, but they let her eat as many as she wanted.

One night I told my kids not to eat, but I neglected to tell the CMs. I guess the kjds forgot. The CM called me to verify that they could eat because the kids said they weren't sure, but I didn't hear the Wave phone. I was living it up in Quiet Cove (reading a book! Ha!). They fed them, which was fine with me. I'd rather they err on the side of caution and not let my kids starve. It was pizza that night, and I guess the desire for lame-o Disney pizza overwhelmed their memories of me telling them not to eat . They just had a light meal that night at dinner. No biggie.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

my kids hated their meals, very plain like a cheese sandwich, veggies, fruit. They had us come get them for lunch.

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: