Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 05:37 PM   #61
hellow
Mouseketeer

Great Idea!

We have outbuildings that have become dumping grounds for adult children's things that they don't want to get rid of but don't have room for.

One of the buildings at one time was a pool building. There is so much furniture and stuff in there that when the census lady came out to our house a few years ago, we caught her looking in the windows to make sure it wasn't someone's home!
hellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:59 PM   #62
cupcakefairy2u
Its just me the cupcake fairy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle View Post
I need this! We moved here 2 1/2 years ago and I still have BOXES! Hoping this will be the inspiration I need!
Good to know I am not alone I moved here 4 1/2 years ago and I have boxes in 2 of our 3 attics that I have not even looked into since the day I packed it up .
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #63
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Anyone have any tips on how to have a stamp collection appraised? I was given my great grandma's stamp collection and it is all sitting in a box. Can't just get rid of it, don't really know what to do with it. This is one of my many boxes of clutter!

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
Disney Magic Southern Caribbean September 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:40 PM   #64
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Wow...purged spices, glassware/dishes and pots/pans today- can't believe how much is headed to Goodwill! I love it!
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:42 PM   #65
Applemomma
DIS Veteran

I'm in....I'm a clutter bug by nature so you can imagine what my house is like. But this is the year for that to end. 2013 is going to be a huge year for me as my husband and I just decided to divorce....so without a doubt my life is going to be 100% changed. I've decided that now's the time to reclaim myself and one concrete way of doing that is to reclaim this house. I've realized how much our marriage has held me back from being me and I think that's 90% of why my house looks the way it does. So after 22 years of marriage I'm going to start doing things my way...right down to what's in my cupboards!!!

Wish me luck!!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #66
jkCT
DIS Veteran

Cleaned out the things hanging in my closet that I haven't worn in 2 years, finished changing over to winter clothes and put the two big storage bins away...ended up with a small bag of clothes to trash, and a BIG bag of clothes to donate! Also cleaned out my part of the cabinet in the bathroom...why the heck did I have 7 bottles of nail polish when I probably wear nail polish a total of 30 days each year??!?

jkCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #67
jenluvs2go2disney
Mouseketeer

Great thread. I have been more of a lurker, but wanted to join in.

My goal for the year is to try and get rid of 10 things a day going forward. For example, it could be throw away 10 pieces of paper. I need to keep a donate and sell box out to add to daily.

I am making an appt at the consignment shop for next week when the kids go back to school to take a load of stuff there and drop the rest next door at goodwill.

I cleaned out my downstairs hall closet and organized it. I had been throwing stuff in here to hide it over the holidays.

I also went through my youngest DS's room today. He helped me quite a bit. He is only 4 and thought it was fun to make piles of donate, sell, and throw the trash. We got rid of a ton of clothes that he has outgrown and some old baby stuff. I even filled a bag of trash. He is still in a toddler bed and we plan on redoing his room in the spring, so this will be a step in the right direction.

I still have to go through the 2 bins of clothes in his closet that are hand me downs from my oldest DS and clearance stuff that I bought for this year. I need to make a list of what he has/needs, so I don't over buy.

This week, I also want to go through my oldest DS's room too.

Off to a great start!
jenluvs2go2disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:41 PM   #68
tlh0726
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemomma View Post
I'm in....I'm a clutter bug by nature so you can imagine what my house is like. But this is the year for that to end. 2013 is going to be a huge year for me as my husband and I just decided to divorce....so without a doubt my life is going to be 100% changed. I've decided that now's the time to reclaim myself and one concrete way of doing that is to reclaim this house. I've realized how much our marriage has held me back from being me and I think that's 90% of why my house looks the way it does. So after 22 years of marriage I'm going to start doing things my way...right down to what's in my cupboards!!!

Wish me luck!!
You go girl!
Old 01-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #69
joybeth
Mouseketeer

I am SO in!

I have lurked previous years destashing threads and really wanted to join. I am going to do this this year! I am going to start with my bedroom. I come in here and think to myself, I spent MONEY on all of this stuff. Good luck to everyone!
12/10 CBR with Sister and Daughter for free dining!
3/11/11 Sisters trip to the Poly!
9/22/11 Joy and Kathy's Trip to POR!
1/27/12 Family trip to the BC take Emily to DCP!!
2/13/12 Hilton Grande Vacation Parc Soliel First offsite! 5/26/12 Solo trip to Pop to see Emily!
8/05/12 Split stay Beach Club and POR Royal Room to bring Emily home from DCP!!!
12/12 Just back from the Pop! 5/13 Hilton GV Parc Soliel sisters trip, 10/13 25th Anniversary Trip to CBR. 12/13 Christmas trip with Emily to CSR, 2/14 offsite HGV, 5/14 AKL for Kathy's 50th! 7/14 CBR Quick trip for Anniversary Party, 10/14 Yacht Club to see Emily at DCP2! 12/14 POFQ

I've eaten at 122 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (50%)
I've eaten at 46 out of 87 quick service/counter service restaurants at Walt Disney World (53%)
I've eaten at 37 out of 73 table-service restaurants at Walt Disney World (51%)
I've eaten at 7 out of 18 signature restaurants at Walt Disney World (39%)
I've eaten at 1 out of 3 dinner show restaurants at Walt Disney World (33%)

joybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:52 PM   #70
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

I'm in too! We want to move this summer but there's no way we could put our house on the market with all the clutter. Today I went through my closet and packed up my maternity clothes. DS is 3.5 months old so it's time I finally went through it. I plan on finishing the closet this week and working on the master bedroom. Thanks for the great ideas so far

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:15 PM   #71
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

I'm in......DH and I just talked about this today....he is onboard too.
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #72
carebee21
DIS Veteran

Went through all of our Christmas totes and decorations and we had a combination of 7 big black garbage bags full of things to donate and toss. I got all of our decorations down to one big-sized tote, which will make moving so much easier.

My goal for this month is to go through our coat closet and purge the coats/gloves/umbrellas. I also want to go through my half of the closet and my dresser and convince DH to do the same. I do a decent job of keeping up with my son's closet and dresser, but do a horrible job keeping up with my own.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM   #73
Promomx2
DIS Veteran

Okay, count me in. But does this mean I have to actually go in my ds's (17)room? I actually did some today, went through dd's kindergarten dresses. She's only 26 with her own daughter now. But it was fun, she kept some dresses for her daughter and I have a huge bag full of things to take to goodwill. Tomorrow I plan on going through christmas decorations boxes before I put them in attic.
Promomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #74
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applemomma View Post

Wish me luck!!
That is a major change but congrats on making plans to make YOU happy! I'm sorry you had to make that kind of decision but sounds like you have a great attitude about your future.

I finished my bath cabinet & drawer and found my favorite nail polish that I lost this summer. I got rid of some stuff and now know that I do not need to buy any bath products for quite some time. My makeup drawer is all organized & pretty now. The bedroom & bath look really good and feel much more relaxing without laundry sitting around & stuff jammed into the cabinets.

Tomorrow I want to hit DD & DS's rooms. We go through their rooms every couple months so they shouldn't need much work. I just need to see what clothes they don't wear and get them donated.

I have been ignoring the holiday decorations so that I can get some of these other projects done first. I will get the decorations put away this weekend, if not before. I'm ready for a clean, decluttered house. We have too many Christmas decorations but most are sentimental so I put them all out.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:52 PM   #75
peigirl
Mouseketeer

I'm in too! Today, I declutter a kitchen cupboard that had so much plastic food savers - tops without bottoms and bottoms without tops...also convinced DH to take the Christmas decorations down, and tossed a few old ones at the same time.

Back to work tomorrow so this weekend, I will work on DS7 room and my clothes.

DD20 is going to Orlando with her college class for the Professional Convention Management Association meetings so we are doing a makeover on her room...she is decluttering and packing the stuff she wants to keep in boxes as I type.

DD17 is constantly decluttering so I do not have to go near her room at all.

I do want to get in the habit of tossing 10 things a day and also make a list of every drawer, closet, room, etc that has to be decluttered.

Paula
peigirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: